Home News Current Champs WAIL! Encyclopedia
The Cyber Boxing Zone Message Board
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Frank Bruno vs. Tommy Morrison

Banned
    vCash

Frank Bruno vs. Tommy Morrison

Was watching a rebroadcast of Lewis Bruno last night and in the voice over on Espn Classic, a comment was made of Tommy Morrison and it got me thinking...What if Morrison ever squared off with Bruno. Who's chin goes first? Which fighters subpar stamina will become a factor in the bout first?

Could Bruno catch Tommy early in the manner that Micheal Bentt did? Absolutely. What happens if Morrison opens up on Bruno early and has JUUUUUST enought stamina at about the 6 round mark when Frank begins to wilt? Will he be able to finish the day? Would Tommy go all out, as he almost has to? Would his boxing, that he showed in the Foreman fight allow him to win a distance fight?

Could this turn into a borefest ala Bonecrusher Bruno?

My initial reaction would be to take Bruno mid rounds, especially if he can hold up to Morrison's punches. But I could see Morrison taking out Bruno dramatically ala the Rudduck bout as well. Eye closing, looking like he's wearing down and all of a sudden, big hook and Frank falls apart.

That's going to be my call. Morrison is all over Frank early, but can't put the right punches together and Frank seems to be outlasting the quick paced Morrison and starts to take over in the 5th and 6th rounds. Frank is laying some good leather on Morrison and seems to be coming on when a hook out of no where catches Frank on the button and he falls back into the ropes and Tommy unloads on him until the ref calls a halt or Frank is the loser on a late 6th round tko due to the 3 knockdown rule being in effect.

I think this could be a corker.

Hawk

vCash

Re: Frank Bruno vs. Tommy Morrison

Big Frank takes him out before the 6th. Bruno's chin and stamina wasn't noteworthy but better than Tommy's. Bruno couldn't succeed vs the top echelon, but he never was going life and death with fighters the calibre of Joe Hipp and Ross Purrity.

Banned
    vCash

Hagler I certainly could see this

But at the same time, I have issues seeing Frank stand up to the punishment Mercer absorbed, prior to Tommy winding out. And Frank at his best was probably equal to the Rudduck Morrison did take out.

Obviously arguing to hard agianst your conclusion doesn't make too much sense as your scenario is a DISTINCT possibility. Tommy HAS been taken out and out early by big punchers.

I just have a hunch that Tommy at his best, lands a haymaker out of no where on a Bruno who mounts a comeback after a tentative start agianst Morrison's initial assult.

Should be fun either way.

Hawk

vCash

Interesting matchup. And one of those matchups where if they fought 3 times, nobody is going 3-0.

I lean towards Bruno very slightly. And that's if the bout is held in London where he fought much better. But he is going to have a major problem coping with the speed of that sizzling left hook Morrison threw. And when Frank gets hurt, he's one of those guys that just doesn't handle it very well & he gets stopped.

By the same token, Morrison is going to have major problems coping with the tons of combos Bruno threw. Especially once Morrison gets fatigued and drops those hands and loses that big handspeed advantage.

Bruno always held those hands up nicely but he didn't really have a lot of upper body or head movement as part of a tight defense. I'm not sure if that Bruno defense can effectively avoid getting clipped by a left hook in those first 2 or 3 rounds. And if he's hurt early in a round, I don't think bruno will make it to the end of the round.

vCash

Can't disagree with that.A great 50\50 shootout.

Probably one of the few fights where Frank might become the favourite if it goes past 5 or 6.

vCash

As chins go, Tommy's was weaker. Bruno had trouble with stamina and recovery, whereas Morrison IMO had simply a weak chin. Now, does Bruno possess enough speed in his ability to finish Morrison? He's no Mercer in the viciousness stakes and no Bentt in the speed of delivery stakes. I think Tommy's aggressive fast start could see him land a TKO win early here....

vCash

C'mon Walsh, are you serious? Micheal Bentt? You must have seen a different fight than me because I saw absolutely NOTHING impressive about Michael Bentt. If I remember correctly, he only had about 10 fights with 5 knockouts and a loss against HORRIBLE opposition. Futhermore, I think he never won another fight again after getting demolished by cruiserweight, Herbie Hide.

The way I remember it, Bentt was actually getting battered around the ring, but unfortunately for Morrison, Bentt landed: 1 Punch!!! After that, the chinless Morrison got bounced around the ring until the ref stopped it. Now, I do agree that Morrison had a pretty good left hook, but he is one of the most carefully marketed and protected fighters I have ever seen. He did not beat one top echelon fighter anywhere near their prime. He was exposed by Mercer (who for all of his toughness, was one of the laziest boxers of all time...just ask Jesse Ferguson), and Bentt. And the Ross Purrity and Joe Hipp fights were pretty embarrassing, as well for Morrison.

The Ruddock win was the result of one lucky (albeit, good) punch over a shot Ruddock. Up until that one punch, Ruddock was winning easily. Prime vs. Prime, Ruddock destroys Tommy Morrison, and in my opinion, so does a prime Bruno.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Julian Jackson
    C'mon Walsh, are you serious? Micheal Bentt? You must have seen a different fight than me because I saw absolutely NOTHING impressive about Michael Bentt. If I remember correctly, he only had about 10 fights with 5 knockouts and a loss against HORRIBLE opposition. Futhermore, I think he never won another fight again after getting demolished by cruiserweight, Herbie Hide.

The way I remember it, Bentt was actually getting battered around the ring, but unfortunately for Morrison, Bentt landed: 1 Punch!!! After that, the chinless Morrison got bounced around the ring until the ref stopped it. Now, I do agree that Morrison had a pretty good left hook, but he is one of the most carefully marketed and protected fighters I have ever seen. He did not beat one top echelon fighter anywhere near their prime. He was exposed by Mercer (who for all of his toughness, was one of the laziest boxers of all time...just ask Jesse Ferguson), and Bentt. And the Ross Purrity and Joe Hipp fights were pretty embarrassing, as well for Morrison.

The Ruddock win was the result of one lucky (albeit, good) punch over a shot Ruddock. Up until that one punch, Ruddock was winning easily. Prime vs. Prime, Ruddock destroys Tommy Morrison, and in my opinion, so does a prime Bruno.
    Are you saying that Bentt's display v Tommy was not impressive?

Morrison started like he always does, fast and hard, and Bentt nailed him and followed up with devastating efficiency and speed, and accuracy. It was IMO, a fine display of power punching and Bruno could not deliver that power and speed, EVER!!!!!

That's all I'm saying. I'm not saying Bentt was the next Ali or Tyson, just that he showed real talent in dispatching Tommy...

I just cannot see Frank being that ruthless and deadly, should he hurt Tommy...

He can still win and IMO, this is a very hard one to call, but I'll go with Morrison to take Bruno before Bruno takes Morrison

vCash

I would say it wasnt impressive and had more to do with Tommy's limitations than Bentt's ability.

Bentt nailed him with a hail mary punch when under severe pressure and Tommy proceeded to do his best statue/Frank Bruno impression thereafter; he made literally no effort to avoid Bentt's follow ups; hands by his waist; chin up; no head movement. It didnt take any speed or great ability to close this show.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by walshb
    Are you saying that Bentt's display v Tommy was not impressive?

Morrison started like he always does, fast and hard, and Bentt nailed him and followed up with devastating efficiency and speed, and accuracy. It was IMO, a fine display of power punching and Bruno could not deliver that power and speed, EVER!!!!!

That's all I'm saying. I'm not saying Bentt was the next Ali or Tyson, just that he showed real talent in dispatching Tommy...

I just cannot see Frank being that ruthless and deadly, should he hurt Tommy...

He can still win and IMO, this is a very hard one to call, but I'll go with Morrison to take Bruno before Bruno takes Morrison
    ?? Here it is http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nu9nzeTOA-M

I don't really see anything impressive about it. He fought off the ropes, landed a good shot, his follow-up shots wern't particularly accurate at all. It was just simply embarassing on Morrison's part.

Now here's Frank vs Coatzee: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vluzMIpjtB0

I see Morrison going out in similar fashion.

Banned
    vCash

Clearly

Tommy's embarrassing moments were far worse than Franks.

And they provide ample ammo for arguing a Bruno victory.

If Tommy comes out like Coetzee did, he's done. He comes out like he did agaist Mercer, I think he has a helluva chance as I can't see Frank wanting to engage like that.

Such a toss up for me that may be decided on a punch one fighter never sees coming.

Hawk

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by hagler04
    ?? Here it is http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nu9nzeTOA-M

I don't really see anything impressive about it. He fought off the ropes, landed a good shot, his follow-up shots wern't particularly accurate at all. It was just simply embarassing on Morrison's part.

Now here's Frank vs Coatzee: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vluzMIpjtB0

I see Morrison going out in similar fashion.
    Hags, I ve seen it a dozen times already. Lke I said, I am not saying Bentt is Tyson or Ali. I just thought he was pretty impressive in his punching V Tommy and the fact that he was quite so, meant Morrison had little chance to ever recover. Weak chin and IMO fine finishing did Morrison in here.

I don't see Frank ever exerting this type of e combination of speed and power. He definitely can punch, but Bruno was hardly grease lightning, and this may work to Tommy's advantage. Tommy when hurt, has little to no chance against fast hard finishers, against Bruno, who was a little less greasy to say the least, Tommy may well get a second chance and another bite at the cherry.....
    Last edited by walshb; 04-30-2008 at 06:13 AM.

vCash

Why would Tommy get a 'second chance'? Whenever he got hit hard - and Frank hits as hard as Bennt or Mercer - he froze up. Speed - although i dont see much evidence of Bentt's 'speed' - isnt an issue because Frank would be hitting a stationary target.

Of course, the reverse is also probably true: i dont see Frank surviving getting nailed either...

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Paulie W
    Why would Tommy get a 'second chance'? Whenever he got hit hard - and Frank hits as hard as Bennt or Mercer - he froze up. Speed - although i dont see much evidence of Bentt's 'speed' - isnt an issue because Frank would be hitting a stationary target.

Of course, the reverse is also probably true: i dont see Frank surviving getting nailed either...
    Well, maybe because Bruno was, as far as I saw, a slow punching heavy who hadn't got great speed or follow up capability...It's highly likely Frank will hurt Tommy, and badly, but Mercer and Bentt showed me their killer instinct in finishing the job. I just feel Bruno doesn't possess that savagery or finishing ability, at least not to their degree.....Tommy then has IMO, a chance to maybe grab, hide, or run for dear life....
    Last edited by walshb; 05-26-2008 at 08:32 AM.

vCash

This would have been a great fight. I like Bruno by Ko inside of 7 rounds. Bruno survived Tyson's bombs and landed a few of his own before being stopped, and Tyson was far more powerful and faster than Morrison. Bruno has good quality wins over Coetzee, Oliver McCall, Pierre Coetzer, and Carl the truth Williams. Morrison got a gift draw against Purrity, and was kayoed in the 1st by Michael Bentt. Bruno was a better class of fighter than those two guys.

vCash

Tough fight to call, two big bangers, both whom could be hurt and stopped. But I edge towards Brunos damaging jab winning this fight for him. Breaking up Morrison on the outside then busting him up and stopping him with that big right hand of his.

Tommy could win this fight but my money is on the slightly more durable Bruno stopping him in about 6/8 rounds.

vCash

What a great mythical matchup, I tend to agree with the majority here and favor Bruno but Morrison would keep it interesting. A ruddock type win would not shock me.

vCash

this may sound crazy but i thought i once heard that morrison had been drinking before the bent fight...actualy fought drunk. anyone else remember this or have i finaly gone over the edge??
    greg

Banned
    vCash

I've heard (and read) that Tommy was so drunk that night that he stumbled going up the ring steps and had difficulty getting through the ropes. PeteLeo.

vCash

Just a myth.

That doesnt happen on the tape, and he looks anything but drunk until Bentt starts hitting back.

PS its worth mentioning that Morrison never fought for the world title, the level where Bruno lost his fights. Morrison usually got knocked out before he made it to a world title challenge.

Banned
    vCash

The Bonecrusher Smith

Loss for Bruno would be on the same level of the Ray Mercer Loss.

And if you want to give the WBO any merit, then plus three points for Tommy.

Had not heard the drunk story, but have no inside knowledge about whether it can be dismissed or not.

Hawk

vCash

No!!

I dont give the WBO any merit - a belt for the likes of Morrison, Damiani, Hide et al, i.e. fighters who had handlers who didnt really fancy their men in world championship fights.

The WBO belt Tommy won is about as credible as the IBO belt he picked up v Ruddock.

Banned
    vCash

Regardless

Bruno getting Axed by Bonecrusher in a Non-title fight, is on Par with Morrison getting decapped by Mercer.

Hawk

vCash

Both strong, hard hitters. Morrison faster with more snap, Bruno taller and longer and physically stronger, with heavier clubbing punches. Morrison lighter on his feet when he wanted to be. Both with definite chin issues which makes this one a nail biter while you are watching it. That said, I would actually give Tommy an ever so slight edge based on superior speed and versatility, and possibly a tad better chin.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by apollack
    Both strong, hard hitters. Morrison faster with more snap, Bruno taller and longer and physically stronger, with heavier clubbing punches. Morrison lighter on his feet when he wanted to be. Both with definite chin issues which makes this one a nail biter while you are watching it. That said, I would actually give Tommy an ever so slight edge based on superior speed and versatility, and possibly a tad better chin.
    I agree, but I think Bruno's chin takes the better single shot. Bruno's stamina and inability to weather a storm are his main problem, and the fact that Tommy had such a fast and hard attack; which will see him take the win

+ Reply to Thread