Home News Current Champs WAIL! Encyclopedia
The Cyber Boxing Zone Message Board
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: BoxingScene Divisional Ratings

vCash

BoxingScene Divisional Ratings

The 2nd Quarter BoxingScene Divisional Ratings
    By Cliff Rold

We’re already a few weeks into Boxing’s second quarter of 2008 and it’s clear: a hot winter is continuing as a fiery spring. The Light Heavyweight division has seen big shake-ups in recent days and those changes are reflected here. Plans are already made for bigger things in May, June, and beyond. We’re on a roller coaster ride with no end in sight.

The ride started in 2007 and carried through the first quarter of this year.

The month of March alone gave us a 31 day slate of action as memorable as any in recent memory. And need the word ‘upset’ be mentioned? Thus far in 2008, the Jr. Middleweight division has already seen two well entrenched members of the ratings, Roman Karmazin and Cory Spinks, defeated in surprising fashion. Welterweight has seen an even bigger upset with Carlos Quintana winning over Paul Williams.

These are only a hint of the results we’ve seen so far.

The Boxing Scene divisional ratings are based in spirit on the concepts at play in College Football’s Bowl Championship Series rankings and the ratings found here reflect a cross section of:

* Historical lineage (which often but not always lines up with Ring Magazine’s designated champions);

* Press ratings from Ring Magazine, ESPN, and the U.K.’s Boxing Monthly;

* The ratings of the four major sanctioning bodies: the WBC, WBA, WBO, and IBF;

* The computer ratings of the IBO and boxrec.com; and

* Quality components based on career winning percentage and results against current top ten contenders and/or a division’s champion where there is one.

The following provides a detailed list of results based on the first quarter ratings and the resultant affects they’ve had.

Read the Rest at: http://www.boxingscene.com/forums/vi...boxing-ratings

vCash

Re: BoxingScene Divisional Ratings

Wouldn't the middleweight lineage have descended from Taylor WSD 12 Hopkins 07-16-2005? Or does the "Lineage Descends From" relate to how long the line is post someone unifying the title at a particular weight?

And did I just ask a question that was probably spelt out obviously?
    Last edited by doomeddisciple; 04-27-2008 at 09:46 PM.

vCash

Excellent ratings Cliff, I'm surprised to see lists in which I don't have really any major disagreements with.

vCash

Thanks Hag; I do my best to eliminate my own opinion (quality opints being the exception as they note what I find valuable). It's, I think, a useful comparative analysis of boxing' subjective nature and objective (i.e. often corrupt sanc body influence) realities.

Administrator
    vCash

Did anyone notice the recent broadcst where Ring is now referring to its list as the "Lineal" -- are they trying to co-opt the term we've been using since the dawn of the internet?

vCash

Ring isn't doing it; HBO is. Ring's new issue even points out that there are some who recognize Erdei. While I think some of Ring's champ designations are correct, and vacant in the CBZ encyclopedia, it is still important to note that they line up with lineage coincidentally but intentionally not by design.

+ Reply to Thread