Home News Current Champs WAIL! Encyclopedia
The Cyber Boxing Zone Message Board
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Julian Jackson vs. Nigel Benn

Banned
    vCash

Julian Jackson vs. Nigel Benn

If this one hasn't been asked, yet, who wins?

I think that the promoters would be well warned to vacate the first five or six rows of seats. The explosives in that ring would be powerful enough to cause some awful collateral damage. PeteLeo.

vCash

Re: Julian Jackson vs. Nigel Benn

Obviously this could go either way. Assuming this isnt P4P, Benn is the bigger man: the Middleweight Jackson is probably just past his best and Benn was probably as effective at 168 as he was at 160. Jackson is the more polished fighter: compared to Benn his punches were delivered with precision; while Benn's attacks were often ragged especially when hurt or tired. I also think that Jackson has the more reliable chin although probably not reliable enough to stand up to Benn's best shots for any length of time.

I want to see Benn coming out and overwhelming the smaller man: hitting him on the arms, the hips; beating him up and stopping him in the 2nd. But what I think I'd see is Jackson's straighter punching and slightly better resilience coming out on top around about round 6.

vCash

As aggressive as Julian was, Benn is even more aggressive, possibly the most aggressive middle ever. Benn is IMO naturally biggger and more comfortable at 160lbs. This could be the key. Benn also has the greater ability to suck it up and weather any dangerous storm. He had the superior survival instincts.
    I see both men being rocked early and Benn winning by dramatic KO within 2 rds....

vCash

Once again, one guy was at his best at 154 and the other one at 160 or 168 (probably the latter), so not really a "fair" matchup weight-wise. Best vs. best I pick Jackson by devastating early round KO if they were the same size.

vCash

Rafael, you say devastating KO (Jackson) if both the same size. But can you also agree that because Julian's beard wasn't great and Benn was a murderous puncher, that it's highly likely Benn also gets the KO?

Neither guy IMO had a fine beard and in these matches it's really a matter of who lands the heavier shots the quickest. I just think Nigel will land the quickest and I also feel that he was the more aggressive with the slightly better beard...

I can't visualise a definite definite KO for one over the other, it's a 60-40 scenario IMO

Banned
    vCash

I'm with Raf here

That I prefer this to be a Pound for Pound matchup. ANd then I'd take J JAX in two rounds.

That said, Watson and Eubank were able to stop Benn at 160, so even though Jackson was NOT at his best at this weight, it (a Jackson KO) still is a very likely/possible outcome.

Hawk

vCash

I would have given the edge to Benn because he was the naturally bigger, more versatile fighter. Benn took Mcclellan's best shots and came back so i see him doing the same with Jackson, and stopping him in 7.

Banned
    vCash

Benn did take Gerald's punches

But at 168 where Benn was probably at his most effective weight.

At 160, he was certainly more vulnerable. And While Jackson was not HIS best at 160, he cracks cleanly on Benn, Nigel's gone.

I think it's likely that that happens.

Hawk

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by walshb
    Rafael, you say devastating KO (Jackson) if both the same size. But can you also agree that because Julian's beard wasn't great and Benn was a murderous puncher, that it's highly likely Benn also gets the KO?

Neither guy IMO had a fine beard and in these matches it's really a matter of who lands the heavier shots the quickest. I just think Nigel will land the quickest and I also feel that he was the more aggressive with the slightly better beard...

I can't visualise a definite definite KO for one over the other, it's a 60-40 scenario IMO
    Why do you always favor the British fighter?

vCash

Jackson probably wins here but who the hell knows...

...I think the fans win.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Rafael
    Why do you always favor the British fighter?

The whole neigbourly thing Rafael...

Anyway, great matchup I feel and I'd personally be rooting for Benn as
    I loved the guys attitude, style and non stop murderous punching. Nigel never
    failed to excite in his bouts. One thing I have to mention is that Benn was as far as I can recall, never clean KO'd. Both Eubank and Watson wore Benn down after Nigel had expelled serious amounts of energy trying to take both out. Julian's chin isn't close to Eubanks, so I don't feel JJ makes it to the point where he can wear Benn down. Though as has been said, JJ is capable of doing the trick with one-two shots, and early. Something tells me this doesn't go past a couple of rds, so Benn's stamina issues will not IMO be a factor in this fight...

vCash

Both these guys are used to finishing wounded Prey, but if they themselves have been wounded, who has more often shown the propensity to come back from adversity, I think that has to be Benn, With Nigel its not over to the Portly Dame has warbelled her last, notwithstanding adversity with Julian may be something you read hear about later when you have regained your senses, ! I just feel that Where Julian might be able to Take a Pecking and Poking from Say Herol Graham, and Still be in a position to rescue the situation, If Benn is able to hit him with Any Degree of Regularity, then Julian is probably put into severe trouble and and put to the sword quickly,

It is a Fight of Conta Images, Jackson Turning Graham's lights off, Benn being Dropped against Watson (nothing Left), Logan and, Dewitt, But then Jackson Crumbling against McClelland (2nd) and Benn Bombing Dewitt and Barkley, It might seem a Coin Toss to most, in fact truth to tell, Probably is, but i think Julian has to worry about two Benn's, The Fresh Benn, And the Wounded Benn, I dont think Benn has to worry about a Wounded Jackson he takes care of him, Unpressured Julian may have more of a Hunters Poise, but in a close Range "Tear-Up" i think i would Lean to Benn.

This would be a true "Dont Blink" Affair.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by SageBrush
    Both these guys are used to finishing wounded Prey, but if they themselves have been wounded, who has more often shown the propensity to come back from adversity, I think that has to be Benn, With Nigel its not over to the Portly Dame has warbelled her last, notwithstanding adversity with Julian may be something you read hear about later when you have regained your senses, ! I just feel that Where Julian might be able to Take a Pecking and Poking from Say Herol Graham, and Still be in a position to rescue the situation, If Benn is able to hit him with Any Degree of Regularity, then Julian is probably put into severe trouble and and put to the sword quickly,

It is a Fight of Conta Images, Jackson Turning Graham's lights off, Benn being Dropped against Watson (nothing Left), Logan and, Dewitt, But then Jackson Crumbling against McClelland (2nd) and Benn ing Dewitt and Barkley, It might seem a Coin Toss to most, in fact truth to tell, Probably is, but i think Julian has to worry about two Benn's, The Fresh Benn, And the Wounded Benn, I dont think Benn has to worry about a Wounded Jackson he takes care of him, Unpressured Julian may have more of a Hunters Poise, but in a close Range "Tear-Up" i think i would Lean to Benn.

This would be a true "Dont Blink" Affair.
    Spot on Sage. Benn throughout his whole career has always shown that when hurt he is at his most dangerous. He has never been clean KO'd and I think this will tell. You hurt Benn, you might be the one in trouble....survival instinct advantage definitely to Benn
    Last edited by walshb; 05-11-2008 at 08:57 PM.

vCash

He has however shown more than enough vulnerability-including being rocked with jabs-to suggest that Jackson could possibly be the first to cleanly knock him out.Eubank was on his way to doing so when steele stopped the fight btw.

Benn arguably shouldn't have been in trouble against a lot of the fighters he was staggered by.Light-hitting Sanderline Wiliams, Anthony Logan etc..

It's similar with Trinidad: Some will argue all those times he went down or looked weak legged were a very bad sign when putting him in with more destructive fighters.Others see it as more of a positive that he could consistently recover, taking the viewpoint of rarely was Tito ever too bothered, so fighter x isn't going to keep him down either.

With Benn vs Jackson, i tend to lean towards the former, while still agreeing with the consensus of it being a more or less a pick 'em.

Banned
    vCash

Nice analysis Mooch

Agree with all points and also agree pickem at 160.

It COULD go either way.

HAwk

vCash

Benn takes him down like McClellan did twice. Too weak a chin.

vCash

This is not a fight I would bet on for the obvious reasons. But I think once the dust has settled the slightly bigger, faster and more durable Benn will be the one left standind.

+ Reply to Thread