Home News Current Champs WAIL! Encyclopedia
The Cyber Boxing Zone Message Board
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: International Boxing Hall of Fame Elector

vCash

Re: International Boxing Hall of Fame Elector

Since only three get in, it's pretty obvious that Duran and Whitaker go in; I put Lopez as my 3. The rest is just smiles. Ironic that the two best lightweights of the last 30 years go in together.

vCash

I'm not sure Kingpetch belongs in. He lost as many big fights as he won - but at least he took the fights. I would lean towards his getting in as he was extremely talented, was the first world champion from Thailand and his big wins were BIG!

I am also hoping Chartchai Chionoi will eventually get in as I do believe he also belongs in. I'm waiting to see the day he is inducted. They are arguably the two best fighters Thailand has produced although Khaosai and Venice run neck in neck. Yesterday Chartchai told me that the one fighter he would have liked to fight was Venice but the timing wasn't right and the powers that be didn't want them to fight.

Definitely Chang and Ceferino Garcia are deserving.

vCash

Having second thoughts...yes, Lopez has an impressive record but against a garbage division. Lloyd Marshall for instance had about nine times the comp. Hmmm...

vCash

Yeah, but despite the competition issue, Ricardo Lopez had an absolutely remarkable career from a numbers perspective.

He retired undefeated with a 51-0-1 (38)KO record. He was champ for 11 years straight. He engaged in 26 title fights and made 23 successful title defenses. He was an undisputed champion. He was also a two division champion.

It's an absolutely remarkable record that actually exceeds the 49-0 record of Rocky Marciano. Lopez also nearly beat the title defense record and the length of time as champ records of Joe Louis.

He is an extremely deserving honoree IMO.

This also quells the chatter of the critics who criticize the IBHoF for not recognizing lighter weight fighters or fighters not from the USA.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123