Home News Current Champs WAIL! Encyclopedia
The Cyber Boxing Zone Message Board
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Worst Stoppage : Johansson/Machen

vCash

Worst Stoppage : Johansson/Machen

You really have to see this one to believe ... first the ref gives one of the fastest counts I have ever seen....then he lets Ingo tee off way after it should have been stopped .... amazing that Eddie was not permanently hurt...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qO0_X...eature=related

vCash

Re: Worst Stoppage : Johansson/Machen

Ever since the first time I saw this years ago I said it was the single worst job of refereeing a fight in history. The guy couldn't have been more inept if he'd never seen a fight before. I feel pretty confident he had no training in refereeing at all. Since Eddie wasn't permanently hurt, it's hard not to find it almost comical that the dumbass continues to count him out as the seconds and doctors are attending to his inert, unconscious body.

vCash

Believe it or not Andrew Smyth refereed HOF fighters such as Sugar Ray Robinson, Willie Pastrano, Carlos Ortiz, Jersey Joe Walcott, and Floyd Patterson.

Take note just before the second KD when Smyth appears to be waving at someone in the audience. "Hey look at me Borje I'm on TV!"

vCash

Referee Joey Curtis was involved in a couple of terrible stoppages. Too soon: Dokes-Weaver I; too late: Leonard-Ranzany.

vCash

I don't think imcompetent cuts it here. This to me seemed deliberate and calculated. There should have been serious repercussions for this referee

vCash

Another bad ref stoppage: Evander Holyfield being DQ'd at the 1984 Olympics for nailing a guy (Kevin Barry of NZ) who was holding him around the head, and ears, so that Holy couldn't even hear the ref's instructions not to punch.

The ref was Yugoslavian and the guy protected from next fighting Holy, who was on a roll to be the outstanding boxer of the Games, was also a Yugoslav (Anton Josipovic??), who took the gold without even fighting a gold medal match. He graciously pulled bronze medal winner Holyfield up to the top step with him at the awards ceremony--which has to be at least a bit of an indictment of his countryman the referee.

vCash

Believe it or not Machen came back to the states and for years claimed that the Ingo fight was stopped prematurely and a robbery. He was able to perpetrate this myth for years because very few had seen it.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Frank
    Another bad ref stoppage: Evander Holyfield being DQ'd at the 1984 Olympics for nailing a guy (Kevin Barry of NZ) who was holding him around the head, and ears, so that Holy couldn't even hear the ref's instructions not to punch.

The ref was Yugoslavian and the guy protected from next fighting Holy, who was on a roll to be the outstanding boxer of the Games, was also a Yugoslav (Anton Josipovic??), who took the gold without even fighting a gold medal match. He graciously pulled bronze medal winner Holyfield up to the top step with him at the awards ceremony--which has to be at least a bit of an indictment of his countryman the referee.
    I disagree Michael. The command to STOP was clearly audible and I feel the referee was left with no option but to disqualify Evander. Evander was clearly the superior fighter, but he was also clearly the dirtier fighter in that bout.
    I have the fight on tape, and as I recall; Evander had hit after the break on several occasions.

The ref wasn't the reason Evander was DQ'd, it was Evander's overzealous approach to the fight.....

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by walshb
    I disagree Michael. The command to STOP was clearly audible and I feel the referee was left with no option but to disqualify Evander. Evander was clearly the superior fighter, but he was also clearly the dirtier fighter in that bout.
    I have the fight on tape, and as I recall; Evander had hit after the break on several occasions.

The ref wasn't the reason Evander was DQ'd, it was Evander's overzealous approach to the fight.....
    The ref said later that he said "stop" twice. A viewing of the tape, and I recorded it live at the time, reveals he said the 2nd "stop" after the punch landed.

I honestly can't remember Evander pulling any dirty tactics in that fight, but I won't argue that with you. Just the part about him being "dirtier." Barry had him in nearly a headlock . . . what is that? He had held Holyfield earlier, IMO frustrating Holy, who was winning nonetheless. Holding is a major no-no in amateur boxing.

Not sure the warning's being "clearly audible" to a TV mike is the same as to Holy, arms wrapped around his head, and with many other sounds such as fans yelling.

The ref didn't DQ Evander for hitting late; but because Barry couldn't continue due to an alleged foul, he was awarded the victory. Had he been able to continue, Evander would have gotten a warning/lost a point. And still won the fight handily, in my view.

vCash

Alex Garcia V Bernard Bull Benton, worst referee ever next to Mercante Jr.

vCash

Also Mercer V Morrison, Cooney V Norton, Tua V Ruiz, Ali V Wepner with rabbit punches allowed, all the same ref used over and over again.

The Ingo V Machen was a disgrace, reminded me of the ref in Virgil Akins V Tony DeMarco.

vCash

I still cant belive when the 2nds are tended to Machen, the Ref was still counting to ten.

Would that be a TKO? Or a knockout, I dont care what Machen says, He was not going to get up, and the fight was NOT stop, because the ref counted to ten. And he was still down. Even though people were in the ring tended to him.

+ Reply to Thread