Home News Current Champs WAIL! Encyclopedia
The Cyber Boxing Zone Message Board
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Sandy Saddler Vs. Salvador Sanchez

Banned
    vCash

Sandy Saddler Vs. Salvador Sanchez

On each guy's best night at the featherweight limit. Given the almost religious fervor with which some fans view Sanchez, this should provoke some interesting commentary. PeteLeo.

vCash

Re: Sandy Saddler Vs. Salvador Sanchez

I'd take Saddler in this one.

vCash

wow....pete sometimes i think you are trying to get me in trouble... this has got to be arguable.

danny lopez and sadler were both punchers. sal proved he had a great chin vs. danny. pep actualy once out boxed and befudled sadler....sal could box a bit also....

i saw a lot more of sanchez than i did of sadler but i have seen some tape of sadler where i was not as impressed has i thought i would be....

so i pick sadler to KO sal early...NOOOOO.....just kidding.

sal by close decision.

of course the edge in experience goes to sandy......hmmm.

here we go..

greg

vCash

I was also a bit disappointed with what I've seen of Sandy on tape: he seemed a less fluid, slower, more clumsy fighter than I imagined (although I should say I have only seen a few of his fights). I can envisage this Saddler being outboxed by Sanchez. Yet Saddler beat great fighters - in particular Pep and Elorde - boxers as good as and better than Sal IMO.

Saddler would be far and away the best fighter Sal had fought. His power might not phase Sanchez who survived the bombs of Lopez and Gomez (but do they hit as hard as Saddler?) without blinking - but Saddler brings an experience - and a range of tricks and fouls - that would give him the edge.

I dont think it would be that pretty a fight which Saddler edges by a close UD.
    Last edited by Paulie W; 05-21-2008 at 02:23 AM.

Banned
    vCash

Greg and Paulies points here

Give me some pause here on my original conclusion of this fight.

As much as I love Sal Sanchez, the fact that he wasn't all that difficult to hit, has me concerned against Saddler.

Yes to both of your points, some of the film I've seen of Sandy was a tad dissappointing. So your opinions on this have me thinking a bit harder on this.

Sal had a helluva beard. But his style of that of an aggressive counterpuncher against a puncher like Saddler when factoring Sanchez's somewhat porous defense....I just have a had time seeing Sal taking this bout.

And other than Kid Husker, I'm probably the biggest Sanchez fan on this board.

I'll stick with Sandy, but reserve the right to give a later response pending sme more research by me.

Hawk

vCash

I pick Sanchez here by UD. Sal didn't do anything brilliantly, but did everything very good. He had a steel chin, good power, lovely movement, could mix it, box it and work on the inside. He had supreme stamina, concentration; and always found a way to win. Saddler was a very good hitter, but from what I've seen, he could be hit easily and outboxed. I see Sanchez being too prepared and calculated and always staying a step ahead of Saddler
    Last edited by walshb; 05-21-2008 at 06:07 AM.

vCash

Saddler will hit Sal, and will find Sal is someone he can use his strength with. Sanchez will not be skittering around conducting master-class of pure boxing. I go with the stronger Saddler to compensate for any slowness issues.

Banned
    vCash

That's kinda been my feeling Sharks

Sanchez really isn't a boxer who stays on the outside and uses the ring.

He's a counter puncher. And an aggressive one at that. He forces his opponents to throw punches so he can counter thier punches.

With Saddler, would this work? ESPECIALLY, when Sal CAN be hit without a whole lot of effort?

Now conversely, to Greg and Paulie's points here, the avaialble film of Saddler is a bit less impressive that what we all have read over the years.

Do I suspect Sanchez's speed and accurate combinations causing Sandy issues? Yes. But it's what Sandy lays on Sal that has me concerened. And he WILL connect and connect frequently.

Hawk

vCash

When it all comes down to it Hawk, the pick may have more to do with going with the surer thing from the deeper era with the more concrete pedigree... right or wrong.

I wonder how impressive Azumah Nelson would be with scattered film of him. Still, I don't regard him as highly as many so I may be proving the point about film.

vCash

I go with Saddler to stop him.

vCash

I would like to throw out the Nelson fight. This may not seem fair but, Nelson was suppose to be a walk and I think Sal never believed that he was going to lose or in danger of losing against what he and everone else had to think was a novice. Nelson proved otherwise.

Sal in the first fight was Lopez was a different story. Sal came to win against the champ and beat him to death. I've seen Saddler against Elorde and Pep. Niether a good hitter. Saddler had a very hard time finding and hitting Pep and was taking a lot of punches from Pep before he dropped Willie and stopped him and Elorde who stood in front of Saddler just plain outboxed. Saddler went on to win but, not by hurting or adjusting but by, wrestling and cutting Elorde. The same can be said for the Pep fight to some degree w/o the cutting.

The evidence for Saddler's wins against great boxers is that he roughs them up not punches them out.

Sal hits alot hard then those two and he can move and box relative to both. The problem for Saddler is that he can't just step in and fire without worry nor can he hope to outbox or even corner Sanchez.

I like Sanchez to out point and frustrate Saddler because he can take it, even though he won't hang around long enough to take it and I think he can hit hard enough to slow Saddler's attack and win rounds.

Banned
    vCash

But Sanchez

Really isn't a "Boxer" per se. He was an aggressive counterpuncher who didn't have the greatest Defense.

It too would dismiss the Nelson fight as Azumah DID prove to be a great fighter and he was a sub for the failed Laporte Rematch.

But kudos to Sal for finally taking care of business.

But on the other side of this, I think too much might be made of Sal dropping Nelson. It was more timing than Power and Nelson still was a raw product.

Sal had decent pop on his shots and a heavier punch than Pep. But Given Willie never sat down on punches, that really isn't saying a whole lot.

Using Pep as a benchmark for how Sal fairs, might not be the best approach. Sal is easier to hit, and is not nearly as mobile, but does hit a bit harder.

Agian, one is a counter puncher and the other is a boxer.

Hawk

+ Reply to Thread