Home News Current Champs WAIL! Encyclopedia
The Cyber Boxing Zone Message Board
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: 100 Boxing Books, I own, that I recommend:

vCash

Re: 100 Boxing Books, I own, that I recommend:

Anyone ever seen a copy of James J. Jeffries autobiography,
    My Life and Battles,published in 1910 just before his fight with Jack Johnson?
    Is it worthy of a re-printing?
    Also another biography I have heard about is the book,
    TWO FISTED JEFF
    by Hugh Fullerton,published in 1929.
    Which I believe is where Jeffries claimed he felt that he was drugged the night before the fight,by someone serving him some tea.They couldnt wake Jeffries up the morning of the fight and had to douse him with buckets of cold water to revive him.

vCash

I've got both of those titles. I think the first is pretty interesting, definately worth reading. I'd have to check my website www.prizefightingbooks.com, but it seems to me I may have that title listed in the softcover section as available for sale as a photocopy. If not, I know I have a photocopy of it. Contact me at cmoyle@aol.com if interested.

I read Two Fisted Jeff, but it's been a number of years now. It's definately worth reading. I remember him claiming he must have been drugged before the fight, but I don't recall him saying anything about being difficult to wake up that morning, or people having to dump buckets of water on him.

Chris Nagel

Quote Originally Posted by Mike DeLisa
    Best Boxing Book EVER by an order of magnitude:

The Fireside book of Boxing, edited by Hall-of-Famer WC Heinz -- everything from Homer to damon Runyon to Hemingway to Jack London.

An absolute cornerstone of any library.

Another book which is #1 in terms of training techniques -- and i would be shocked if Mike Silver doesn't agree -- haislett's Boxing, published in 1940 and cribbed by no other than Bruce Lee for his Jeet Kun Do hand techniques. If you want to understand the technique of boxing, read this book!

My guilty pleasure: Shadow Box by George Plimpton
    I second the #1 on both of those books that you've mentioned. The Haislet book is the ultimate boxing reference book that every boxer needs to read and read again. In today's age where bookshelves are flooded by a wealth of misinformation, it's obvious that boxers need something to show them how it's really done. Edwin L. Haislet's Boxing provides just that, the right techniques in the right format.

Haislet knew his boxing, he was the boxing coach at the university of Minnesota whom produced golden gloves champs. I believe that using good technique (which has to be learned right in the first place), is essential if the a guy wants to have anything to do with fighting. There's nothing mystical about moves like using your shoulder as part of defense, shifting your feet, and in Haislet's time every boxer that was worth their salt did it.

This book doesn't fill in all the grey areas but it does a damn good job in teaching a boxer what they need to know.

PS. I've scanned and uploaded this book onto the internet, if anyone is interested just drop me a pm. I recommend getting a hands-on copy of your own if you're serious about boxing.

vCash

Regarding the Teddy Atlas book - since i'm sure i'm already very familiar with whatever Tyson tales he has to tell, can anyone tell me how much of the book he spends talking about his time (1994-97) with Michael Moorer?

I like Moorers style of boxing and also find his surly insular character quite intriguing, but very little is really known about him.

Does Atlas go into great detail about Moorer? Does Moorer get his own chapter?

Banned
    vCash

Quite a bit on Moorer

THere is a lot of detail on that relationship that is covered in the book.

The one relationship I actually found most fascinating in Teddy's book, was the one he had with Donny LaLonde.

Utterly gripping.

Hawk

tedsares

Quote Originally Posted by Overhand_Right
    Regarding the Teddy Atlas book - since i'm sure i'm already very familiar with whatever Tyson tales he has to tell, can anyone tell me how much of the book he spends talking about his time (1994-97) with Michael Moorer?

I like Moorers style of boxing and also find his surly insular character quite intriguing, but very little is really known about him.

Does Atlas go into great detail about Moorer? Does Moorer get his own chapter?
    Well, since you asked "anyone," here is a review I did on it that might give you some insight. It's more about Teddy than it is about boxing bit it's pretty darn good and it is avery fast read. Leasts-wise, I enjoyed it.

An unsolicited Book Review by Ted Sares: "From the Streets to the Ring: A Son's Struggle to Become a Man"Harper Collins, 2006, By Teddy Atlas, Peter Alson

The best way to start this review is to recite those lyrics from a famous Sinatra tune, ".........I'll do it my way.........," and that's what this book is really about. Teddy Atlas doing it his way, even when it meant emotionally draining confrontations and walking away from big paydays.

Though almost borderline "feel good" in certain chapters, I found this book to be an excellent and, at times, even riveting read that makes you anxious to watch Teddy analyze his next fight because now you have a much better foundation for understanding his complex persona. The book reveals more about the fiber and makeup of the author than it does about the activity in which he made his living for thirty years. The exception was when he discussed his complex relationship with Michael Moorer where both his compassion and his well documented stubbornness revealed itself, as well as his great technical grasp of boxing. While Teddy was being honest with himself when he walked away from Moorer after the Vaughn Bean fight, he also walked away from a hugh payday, one that might have "taken him over the top." But more to the point, it would have taken his family over the top and it at least plants a seed of doubt as to the wisdom Teddy's priorities.

While I could have done without the chapter devoted to Sammy "The Bull" Gravano (whose place in infamy is cemented), the chapters that deal with his relationship with Cus D'Amato in the Catskills and his interactions with a young Mike Tyson are particularly interesting..............and to his credit, the authors avoid vilifying or demonizing Tyson the way some might have expected. The impression, and a correct one, is that this book is not about Tyson; it's about Teddy Atlas' "struggle" to become a man............but herein lies the rub. Teddy's rough early life on the streets was his doing and he has to be accountable for it. If helping young people find a better direction in their lives though boxing is an outgrowth of that early life, then he has indeed resolved that accountability.

The author Is a pretty unforgiving, albeit emotional, chap and I sometimes wondered, as I read through the chapters, whether he really understood that life sometimes involves compromise and that sometimes winning the war means losing a few battles. On the other hand, who can argue with his successes and, as much of the narrative discloses, he achieved much personal gratification from wanting and meeting the challenge of getting somebody to become the best they can become or overcoming themselves to get to a spot where they can be effective. Indeed, describing his relationship with the Shamrock Express, Chris Reid, is nothing short of poignant.

It's clear that Teddy has left a bridge for the next chapters in his life........and the hints as to where he might go next are intriguing to say the least, though it's also clear that he has fallen in love with being a color analyst and as he says, " I'll stand behind the microphone right now, where nobody can talk back, at least not too much!"

In sum, Teddy Atlas comes off in this book as a person who is very aggressive and opinionated, but also very honest and with great personal integrity. Whatever he says, he does not sugarcoat it and, above all, the fact he is acting in the best interests of both his fighters and boxing itself is manifest. More importantly, the book makes it crystal clear that he did it his way. Bottom line, the book is well worth the price.

Ted Sares is a boxing historian and a syndicated writer. He can be reached at tedsares@roadrunned.com

vCash

Can you believe at Amazon.com they want 190 dollars for a softcover copy of the recent
    (2002) biography of Jim J. Jeffries,
    A MAN AMONG MEN.
    It must have sold out quickly as I remember I tried to get a copy at the publishers web site around 2003 ,but was unable to contact anyone there for some reason.
    Maybe we should contact the publishing company that recently reprinted, Jack Johnson:In the Ring and Out ,and ask them to if they could re-print
    Jim Jeffries 1910 autobiography or the 1929 book,before the up coming 100th anniversary of the fight in Reno Nevada in 2010.

Banned
    vCash

$190?!?!?!?!?!?

Sheesh.

I thumbed through it and to be honest, $19, would have been a stretch.

It was ok. But that was it.

WOW.

HAwk

vCash

Thanks for the info gents.

This one just hit me-- does he talk about Tony Ayala?

Didn't he once have some sort of scary face off with Ayala live on ESPN or something?

Banned
    vCash

I don't recall that OHR.

And I don't remember reading it in Teddy's book either.

Unfortunately his book doesn't have an index with whihc I could "cheat" to check.

But I don't recall reading about it in his book, or any mention of Ayala. Certainly nothing that stood out.

Was this after a fight of Ayala's? Obviously it was between his prison stints, when Teddy was working as an announcer.

I just don't recall the incident.

Hawk

tedsares

Didn't he once have some sort of scary face off with Ayala live on ESPN or something?

Never.

Banned
    vCash

FYI everyone

There was another thread on this subject matter (Best Boxing Books) that I found in the Books, Fight Tapes etc section.

I went ahead and bumped that thread in case anyone wanted to view that one.

My apologies for the dupe here!

Both threads have some great stuff though.

Hawk

vCash

It must of been one of Ayala's comeback fights after his loss to Campas.

Apparently Atlas had accused Ayala of being a quitter or something along those lines, probably during the broadcast of Campas/Ayala.

Ayala won a fight and apparently demanded Atlas to apologise to him, and Atlas refused to do so to his face.

Something along those lines, i would love to know exactly what unfolded.

Banned
    vCash

To be honest

My contempt for Ayala didn't have me going out of my way to catch any of those come back fights other than the Campos beating (Whihc is to this day among my favorite fights ever), so I know I never caught it.

I simply don't recall much said about this either.

Hawk

tedsares

It must of been one of Ayala's comeback fights after his loss to Campas.

Apparently Atlas had accused Ayala of being a quitter or something along those lines, probably during the broadcast of Campas/Ayala.

Ayala won a fight and apparently demanded Atlas to apologise to him, and Atlas refused to do so to his face.

Something along those lines, i would love to know exactly what unfolded.
    But it was not in the book

Banned
    vCash

OHR

Let me know what you find out. This actually sounds interesting.

Hawk

tedsares

You know, if it was on ESPN, it was either Campas or Bonsante or maybe his first comeback fight. I'm not sure there were any others televised. I am sure it was not during the first fight and I don't recall anything about it during Campas when Tony was slumped in his corner weeping and devastated by his loss. Bonasnte simply kicked his butt and Tony was pretty good about it after the fight - and that was that. Atlas has a looooong history of confrontations one of which I witnessed in Las Vegas and it was inexplicable as he came off the dais and attcked some guy in the crowd. He just had another not too long ago with his boss at ESPN. My thinking on this is that if they confronted one another, Teddy would have been coldcocked ASAP. Ayala was a very tough hombre in and out of the ring, albeit his conduct was disgraceful but that's another story.

vCash

All of Tony Ayalas comeback fights were broadcast & available.

He put together 5 kayos then quit on his stool v Campas.

It was after one of his subsequent wins, like the points duke over Cardona or one his knockouts over Gurolla or Lopez, and in his post fight victory interview he brought up how Atlas had called him a quitter, or something similar, after his Campas loss and he wanted Teddy to take it back.

As far as i know Teddy refused, to his face, which i'm guessing was a tense scary moment.

Obviously Teddy wasn't equipped to deal with a guy like Ayala, so i guess it shows some serious balls, or maybe the presence of live ESPN cameras were a comfort blanket.

Hawk i'll have a sniff around and try find out exactly what happened & bring it back here.

Banned
    vCash

I dunno

Anything that could have happened, would have been along the lines of a street fight and wouldn't come close to what we see in the ring.

I doubt for even a split second Teddy, if he did have a verbal altercation or a "moment" with that f*cking scumbag, that he was the LEAST bit intimidated or scared.

I would have loved to have seen that.

I would bet the farm that Ayala blinked first. He can bully women all he wants, drunk or sober, but he's not going to bully Teddy Atlas.

Not in the least.

Hawk

vCash

I just bought a book the other day,Im still reading entitled FIGHT PICTURES by Dan Steible.Its informative and really interesting.
    There is an entire chapter on the filming of the Corbett vrs Fitzsimmons fight in 1897,a chapter on Jack Johnson's fights,and a really helpful notes section that lists all the prizefights that were filmed up until 1915,many which are lost
    (such as Jack Johnson vrs Joe Taylor in England,1908).
    Jim Jacobs claimed around 1960,he had shown Jack Dempsey a print of Jim Jeffries vrs Jack Monroe,but its unclear if it actually existed or may still exist.
    Last edited by brutu; 06-28-2008 at 05:23 PM.

vCash

Anyone read the recent English translation of Jack Johnson's memoirs
    originally published in 1911 in 18 weekly installments in a French Sporting peridical?
    MY LIFE AND BATTLES.
    Its real interesting,but looks to me that perhaps Jack Johnson was not able to finish and submit to the publisher some of the chapters before they were done, because of a deadline.such as his big build up to a fight with Al Kaufman,then doest even say anything about the fight.
    and the chapter about fighting Stanely Ketchel,but in earlier chapters he writes in detail about fights that were not really important to his career.
    Last edited by brutu; 07-01-2008 at 04:16 PM.

Banned
    vCash

New Book Leonard Hagler Bout by Steve Marantz!!!!

FYI, everyone, I just got word that there is a brand new book out on the Leonard Hagler bout written by Steve Marantz who was covering the sport for the Boston Globe back in 1987.

THe Title is called Sorcery at Ceasars.

I am looking forward to picking up this book as I always value insight from those who covered the bout at the time the bout happened.

A couple of pieces of insight here:

1-Marantz actually scored the bout for Leonard at the time, so those who might be a bit concerned that there is a New England or Boston based bias that is going to be interjected into the book, you can put your mind at ease on that issue. I'm very familiar with his work and he did a fantastic Job at the Globe when he covered boxing there!

2-There is a new poster that recently joined our site and is poster name is SorceryatCeasars. So Yes everyone, Steve is now actually a member of CBZ and adds to the list of fight insiders who participated in, worked in or covered the sport!

I'd like to be the first to say Welcome aboard Steve!

I'm looking forward to purchasing and diving into your book and also to be able to discuss this fight as well as several other fights and fighters as well.

It's great to have you on board!

Hawk

Banned
    vCash

BTW

Here is a link to preview Steve's book.

www.sportsmediaguide.com

Hawk.

vCash

Re: BTW

Hawk
    Thanks for the welcome - I've been away too long - the boxing crowd is like family.

I'm not going to plug my own book - I'm just hoping that someday it merits consideration alongside the great books listed in this thread.

I'd like to mention two books:
    "Joe Louis: The Great Black Hope", by Richard Bak. 1998. well-written and researched.

"Boxing Confidential", by Jim Brady, 2002, connects the dots of corruption so that a Big Picture emerges

Steve

Banned
    vCash

Hey

ANy segue on to the board, be it your book or what ever, I think it's just great that you found CBZ and have become a member here!

Looking forward to picking your brain and sharing viewpoints.

Hawk

vCash

Hawk, I thought you were going to check out Gilroy was here!

this is not a plug for me, It never has been.
    I have a promised pledge to fufill justice, and I work hard to fufill that promise by revealing to the Boxing world the revelation that was Bert Gilroy... this book has had nothing but good reviews and it is written solely as a Human Interest story and not just another biography, Boxing book or Sporting story - far from it...

and it is paying off yet again, as Bert is being Inducted into the newly formed Scot's Boxing Hall of Fame this Sept. Bert will be inducted into the All-time Great category, along with Benny Lynch, Jackie Paterson, Walter McGowan (coached by Bert), Ken Buchanan and now Bert Gilroy.

Jim.

Banned
    vCash

When I get a chance Jim.

I have two books that I own currently that I need to read first and there are another 4 and with Steve Marantz's book now out, 5 books that I have on my "to read" list first.

Odds are I won't get to it this year. WHen I get through with the 7 I have on my immediate radar, I will check it out.

Of Course Mike Silver's book Arc of Boxing and George Kimball's Four Kings are also due out later this year. So DAMN, that is two more to add on to the list!

SHEESH, I think I'm covered through July of NEXT year!

Hawk

Administrator
    vCash

Re: When I get a chance Jim.

Sorcery at Ceasers is a great book.

I thought I knew the story behind this fight, but Steve gets into the story and reveals a lot of pertinent and relevant stuff that will shock a lot of you.

I will be doing a more complete review soon but GO BUY THIS BOOK!

Banned
    vCash

Excellent to Hear Mike

Having lived in VT in 87 (going to College then), I was lucky enough to have had access to the New York papers (News, Post and Times) and the Boston papers (Herald and Globe).

I actually have the Globe's post fight recaps of the bout and just recent reread Steve's account of the bout.

So getting the book and diving into it will be an absolute blast for me.

I can NOT wait to get my hands on it.

Hawk

vCash

Re: When I get a chance Jim.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike DeLisa
    Sorcery at Ceasers is a great book.

I thought I knew the story behind this fight, but Steve gets into the story and reveals a lot of pertinent and relevant stuff that will shock a lot of you.

I will be doing a more complete review soon but GO BUY THIS BOOK!
    Can anyone give us a detailed analysis of this book yet? I'm interested in what it covers/uncovers.

+ Reply to Thread