+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Mills Lane

vCash

Re: Mills Lane

Those are tremendous boxing mistakes.

vCash

And I thought the fighters were the ones meant to be a bit punchy...

Joking aside, I wish Lane all the best; he was and is a good guy

BTW, I see it mentioned that his first and only Ali bout was the '72 fight with Foster.

That's pretty high profile; so why did he have to wait until 1979 to referee his first
    WC bout?

Politics, red tape etc?
    Last edited by walshb; 06-26-2008 at 12:26 PM.

vCash

I enjoyed his courtroom show.

As a ref, not so much.

Banned
    vCash

Actually

His first Championship bout was in 1971 Gonzales D15 Salavarria. There was a great deal of controversy surrounding that bout in Venezuela. From Incorrect Cards being read to alleged doctored water to a riot breaking out.

Mills maintains that his card was for Salavarria, but it was announced as a draw. Gonzales benefitted from this. Suliaman's allegiance in all of this was with Betulio, who benefitted in this. Accusations were made the Salavarria drank doctored water. Mills did not tow the WBC line here and he was blackballed for years as a result of this.

His next Championship bout didn't come until 1978, Holmes Norton.

The Bout was in Vegas, where Mills was from and Suliaman was not altogether thrilled that Mills was the ref. The WBC did not assign Mills, the NSAC did.

Apparently, according the Mills, Suliaman was satisfied enough with his work in the Holmes bout, that he never put up any fuss after that point.

However, a 7 year doghouse was indeed pretty bad.

Again, just to be clear in all of this, this is Mills' account of everything. Whihc May very well be 100% accurate. But for me, seeing all of the other info that he got wrong, there is a part of me that can't lay complete faith in his account of how everything went down.

That's the fallout for the laziness of all of that incorrect information in his book. When you read something new, can you completely beleive it?

Sorry Mills, but the seeds of doubt had already been planted.

Hawk

vCash

Okay

that's it, I've had it with WIKI; they put me right in it again....
    Not that I ever thought WIKI was gospel; but usually they are
    very very accurate....

Banned
    vCash

Remember

With Wik, ANYONE can edit that.

You can go in yourself and make the correction.

It is only as accurate as the knowledge of the person inputting the information.

Hawk

vCash

I know;

but they usually then correct mistakes, though only obvious ones; the Lane fact is not
    something everyone would know. I have often edited it myself. I thought the fact he reffed Ali in '72 meant that the WC claim for '79 was a bit dubious.

Banned
    vCash

It wasn't far off

71 and then 78, with different bouts obviously.

And according to Mills, there WAS a reason for the gap as explained earlier.

Never the less, it was still wrong.

Hawk

vCash
    Haha, I've corrected that; I just hope it doesn't appear all over the shop.

Banned
    vCash

Hey if what you wrote there

turns out to be wrong, take it up with Crown Publishers Inc. and reference page 249 of Lets Get It On by Mills Lane and Jedwin Smith.

I's jes the messenger.

Hawk

vCash

Re: Hey if what you wrote there

Quote Originally Posted by hawk5ins
    turns out to be wrong, take it up with Crown Publishers Inc. and reference page 249 of Lets Get It On by Mills Lane and Jedwin Smith.

I's jes the messenger.

Hawk
    You have never heard the Irish saying then?, all over the shop....

It means all mixed up etc.

In editing one point on Wiki; I didn't realise that I was upsetting the chronology
    of the piece.

I'm more certain now that Wiki is correct than I was an hour or so ago....

Banned
    vCash

Have not heard it

Then agian, I don't speak Irish.

BTW, Mills first began his career as a Ref in 1964. He was the third man in the ring for a couple of Denny Moyer Bouts in the early 70's as well as a couple Bobo Olson fights in the mid 60's.

Hawk

tedsares

Semper Fi, Mills

Administrator
    vCash

Re: Actually

Quote Originally Posted by hawk5ins
    His first Championship bout was in 1971 Gonzales D15 Salavarria. There was a great deal of controversy surrounding that bout in Venezuela. From Incorrect Cards being read to alleged doctored water to a riot breaking out.

Mills maintains that his card was for Salavarria, but it was announced as a draw. Gonzales benefitted from this. Suliaman's allegiance in all of this was with Betulio, who benefitted in this. Accusations were made the Salavarria drank doctored water. Mills did not tow the WBC line here and he was blackballed for years as a result of this.
    Hawk

You write "Suliaman's allegiance in all of this was with Betulio, who benefitted in this." In fact, Gonzales was a principaled guy. When Sulamain attempted to award him the title Gonzales REFUSED!

What other Alphabet champ can make the same claim?

Gonzales, in my opinion, should be in the Hall of fame. And the fact that he refused the belt in light of the problems says a lot.

My recollection (which may be faulty) Lane by the way was arrested on the way back from Venezuela when he got on the plane with a gun. Afterwards, he complained bitterly when they wouldnt give the gun back!

Here is what I wrote about the bout on Boxrec:
    The Venezuelan judge scores for Gonzalez, Filipino judge for Salavarria. Neutral referee and scoring judge Mills Lane scores the bout even. Immediately after the fight, the Zulia State Commission announced that Gonzalez should be named champion because Salavarria had used an illegal substance. The Zulia Commission confiscated a bottle from Salavarria's corner and forwarded it to the WBC. On December 29, 1971, the WBC stripped Salavarria of the title citing use of a stimulant in his "sugar water" by Salavarria. Gonzalez declined the title.

In looking at the newspaper report after lane returned, he did claim he scored it 147-146 for the champion, not a draw as reported.

Banned
    vCash

Mike

I do not disagree with any of your takes as the pertain to Gonazales and I wasn't really trying to throw Gonzales in as having taken part in all of this. Absolute kudos to Gonzales for NOT taking the belt after all of this.

My finger pointing and AGIAN, I'm basing this on Mills' words, goes at the Suliaman and the Venezuelan commission.

It would appear that Gonzales would have benefitted from all of these happenings, but as you stated, he did not go along with it. My comment of Suliaman's allegiance was with Betulio, may still even ring true in all of this, but it was obviously not a two way street.

I can imagine this was even MORE egg on Suliaman's face for whihc he may or may not have taken this out on Mills in blackballing him.

Hawk

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12