Home News Current Champs WAIL! Encyclopedia
The Cyber Boxing Zone Message Board
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Ring Magazine Annual Honors……Do Overs!

vCash

Re: Ring Magazine Annual Honors……Do Overs!

Quote Originally Posted by greek1237
    Oh yeah, I rember that, shortly after the first Tyson fight(Or was it the 2nd??)

They had Holyfiled beating Dempsey, Johnson, Marciano, Jeff, Foreman(Prime), Frazier ete.
    After Evander had beaten Mighty Mike for a second time and he polished off former hazard Moorer, the Ring started their 'big-time' praise.

vCash

I'll add in Pea V Mayweather from '87 as a real humdinger. It's a fight where Pea
    showed real grit and heart and toughness and in this fight he really came on the scene

Banned
    vCash

Prince Charles WIlliams 1st win over Bobby Czyz

Also merits mention for 87.

I'd go in this order:

FOTY-

Hilton Drayton (Brutal pace, brutal Exchanges, brutal bout, even if Hilton probably won 11 of the 15 rounds. Excellent battle from start to finish.)

Runnerup-

Hearns Roldan

Honorable Mention (in order)-

Durate Davila (How'd I forget that one? The Blood was gruesome)
    McCallum McCroy
    Williams Czyz
    Leonard Hagler (Simply for significance and while not a great fight, it did have some excellent rounds. Hell IMO, round 9 was one of if not The best round of the Year. Round 11 was also excellent. Not enough for it to merit FOTY, but enough to merit an Honorable mention IMO.)

Hawk

Banned
    vCash

1996 Fight of the Year

Holyfield KO 11 Tyson.

Based on significance, the dramatic ending, I don't want to bang on this too too harshly.

But it simply was NOT the best fight of the year. Or even second best. Or Third best.

In order of BEST fight, I would go:

FOTY: Marco Antonio Barrera KO 12 Kennedy McKinney

Runner Up: Riddick Bowe W DQ 9 Andrew Golota

Next Runner Up: Arturo Gatti KO 6 Wilson Rodriguez

And THEN: Holyfield KO 11 Tyson.

Hawk

Banned
    vCash

Rewatched

Simon Brown KO 14 Tyrone Trice the other day.

It blows away Lopez Lockridge IMO for deserving FOTY honors in 1988.

What a fun bout to watch.

Wondering if it might have diminished over time, but it does not.

Hawk

vCash

1953 FOTY: i would personally pick Gavilan vs Basilio which was a very good fight. As is any Basilio fight but this was fought at a high skill level and had good turns in momentum and that early knock down spiced things up considerably.

also 2007 FOTY cant think of a better fight just now but i thought Vasquez vs Marquez 1 and 2 very very overrated

vCash

Re: 1996 Fight of the Year

Quote Originally Posted by hawk5ins
    Holyfield KO 11 Tyson.

Based on significance, the dramatic ending, I don't want to bang on this too too harshly.

But it simply was NOT the best fight of the year. Or even second best. Or Third best.

In order of BEST fight, I would go:

FOTY: Marco Antonio Barrera KO 12 Kennedy McKinney

Runner Up: Riddick Bowe W DQ 9 Andrew Golota

Next Runner Up: Arturo Gatti KO 6 Wilson Rodriguez

And THEN: Holyfield KO 11 Tyson.

Hawk
    Bowe Golota was a very very good fight.... we forget sometimes how heavies throwing lots of punches makes it extra special.

vCash

Re: Rewatched

Quote Originally Posted by hawk5ins
    Simon Brown KO 14 Tyrone Trice the other day.

It blows away Lopez Lockridge IMO for deserving FOTY honors in 1988.

What a fun bout to watch.

Wondering if it might have diminished over time, but it does not.

Hawk

I always liked that fight & can recall not wanting to see it happen. I was a fan of Simon's & man there's a guy who hasn't stood the test of time well.

Stylewise, I knew Trice was no easy fight. A very difficult opponent & that's something not appreciated very much either these days.And that Trice was definately a competitive guy in there and had those long arms and threw tons of combos. Even with Simon at the top of his game, I wasn't sure he was not going to be outboxed in there & drop a decision. One of those bouts where a guy just can't land the shots he wants to land & goes on to drop a UD.

Terrific fight and both guys left quite a bit of themselves in the ring. And it's also another example of why 15 round fights are the way to go.

Banned
    vCash

The Ring selected thier

Pound for Pound Rankings for the Decade:

1-Manny Pacquiao
    2-Floyd Mayweather
    3-Bernard Hopkins
    4-Joe Calzaghe
    5-Juan Manuel Marquez
    6-Winky Wright
    7-Shane Mosley
    8-Marco Antonio Barrera
    9-Rafael Marquez
    10-Israel Vazquez

I've got multiple beefs here, but my main one is the placement of Barrera.

#8? Really? Through 2006 and until he was beaten by Pacquiao the second time in Oct of 2007, Marco was still up there in the top 10.

Calzaghe didn't crack anyone's top 10 until 2006 and then he retired at the end of 2008. #4 for him? Mosley pretty much dissappeared from anyone's 10 following the back to back losses to Vernon Forrest in 2002. Yes it has been a remarkable turn around with that win over AM, but Head of Marco for the decade? Winky Wright did have those two big wins over Mosley in 2004, but before or following that, were there bouts that had you saying he was deserving of being considered the 6th best of the decade? Ahead of Marco?

JMM. A staple in the top 10 throughout the decade. Definitely belongs and IMO in the top 5 as well. ANd yes, he does hold an official win over Marco. I thought Marco won the bout. And I also thought that as close as both bouts were with Manny, he lost both by thismuch. I WILL NOT hold the Mayweather bout agianst him as Juan was aging and CLEARLY not big enough to fight at 147. THe Diaz win was exciting, but I think it showed Marquez was coming to an end. Diaz's two subsequent showing agianst Malignani, showed Diaz's value IMO. And the Chris John fight was a bad duke.

Arguing vehemently for Barrera to be ahead of JMM is pointless. IMO they are 4-5 Barrera JMM or JMM Barrera.

I'd have the Ring's top 3 as is, followed by Marco and then JMM. Maybe call it a tie. I think the value of the Wins over Morales (I had Marco winning all three bouts, with the second bout being the closest.), Hamed, Ayala, Tapia, Peden, Kelley, Salud and IMO JMM, places Marco # 4 deservedly.

Following #5, I'd have Wright at #6, Mosley at #7, And then I guess Calzaghe.

But his spot at #8 I think can be arguable along with the #9 and 10 Spots and A Kostya Tzsyu who was a top 10 staple from 2000-2004, has an argument. As does Lennox Lewis- 2000-2003, Erik Morales certainly has a claim to be made for one of those last 3 spots. Israel and Rafeal Marquez certainly can make their case as well. Hate to say it, but how about Oscar? A top 10er through 2003.

I think 1-7 reads:

1-Manny Pacquiao
    2-Floyd Mayweather
    3-Bernard Hopkins
    4-Marco Antonio Barrera
    5-Juan Manuel Marquez
    6-Winky Wright
    7-Shane Mosley

SOLIDLY.

Beyond that, the last three spots are arguable among:

Calzaghe
    Lewis
    Vazquez
    Rafael Marquez
    Oscar
    Morales
    and
    Tzsyu

Hawk
    Last edited by hawk5ins; 02-01-2010 at 06:27 PM.

Banned
    vCash

Addendum to previous post

When I was dumbstruck initially at Barrera's Decade ranking, I initially went to look how he finished in the YEAR END Polls taken by the ring.

I recall Marco being a staple in the Magazine’s top 5 or 6 up through 2006. So in perusing the End of Year Poll listings, I was taken aback yet again when I noticed Barrera not even making the Top TEN, Best Fighter Poll in the 2006 Poll.

So I went an looked at the April 2007 Issue of the Ring and Indeed, in the rankings, Barrera is not in the top 10 of the Results.

HOWEVER, Based on how the Pollees voted, Barrera SHOULD have finished #6 in that years poll. With a 5th place vote, 3 6th place votes, a 7th, two 8th and a 10th place vote, Marco finished with 36 point in the 2006 Poll, which would put him #6 behind Joe Calzaghe and ahead of Rafael Marquez.

While this may seem a bit trivial here, I can't help but think that The Ring may have done the same thing: Look at how fighters finished up in the Year end Poll and used that as somewhat of a measuring stick on how the Decade rankings went.

Of course had the RIng bothered to look at their own MAGAZINE's rankings and seen how a fighter did month to month in thier own ratings, they would have seen that Barrera was a top 10 staple through Oct of 2007. That alone I would have thought might have made them think about it for a second.

And possibly seen the goof they made in the poll results of the 2006 Best Fighter Poll.

I recall for a few years, the old KO magazine kept lising in their year end issue that for 1980 they had Hearns KO 2 Cuevas listed as their mags KO of the year for 1980. WHihc was a mistake as in 1980, KO mag selected Weaver KO 15 Tate as the 1980 KO of the year. After retyping that mistake year after year, someone pointed it out to them and they corrected it. Wonder if the Ring is willing to do the same. (Yeah, I went and pointed it out to them.)

-------------------------------------------------------

Seperately here, in looking at the Fighter's of the Year throughout this past Decade, one selection in HINDSIGHT, seems to me at least, like it was wrong call.

At the time, when picked James Toney as the Fighter of the Year for 2003 over Manny Pacquiao, I didn't have too much of an issue with the pick. They justified the selection saying that Toney had TWO big wins that year (Jirov and Holyfield) where as Manny only had one (Manny's stoppage of the then #3 LB for LB fighter in the world, Marco Antonio Barrera.)

Looking back at that now, I think the single win by Manny (he did have two other wins that year, one defense of his 122 lb crown and a non title bout), over Marco, outweighs SIGNIFICANTLY the two wins by Toney over Jirov, a good titliest, but certainly nothing special and Holyfield who was 40 and clearly a spent ticket back then....which makes his STILL fighting today even that much more scary.

Beating Marco and in the Manner Manny did, when Barrera was considered one of the 3 best fighters in the game at that time and whom DID come back from that loss to stop Paulie Ayala and then win the 130 crown from Erik Morales in their epic third bout, reigned at weight for a few years before losing the crown to JMM, in a bout I felt Marco won, albeit very closely, before losing a second time, decisively agian to PacQuaio.

Jirov never was a factor agian following the loss to Toney and moved up to heavyweight losing to Joe Mesi and an aged Micheal Moorer.

Evander PROVED how far gone he was having lost PRIOR to the Toney bout, decisively to Chris Byrd and then following the Toney bout to Larry Donald, by shutout. Donald never won another fight agian.

Again, at the time, it didn't SEEM like that bad a call, but looking back now and seeing who the runner up was for 2003 fighter of the year and the reasons they gave WHY they chose Toney over Manny, I think the selection looks pretty bad.

Sure, Manny did go on to with the Ring's FOY award, three times SINCE that runner up year in 2003. But I simply feel the VALUE of that dominant win over Marco, earned Manny to be declared Fighter of the Year in 2003, as well as his winning it 2006, 2008 and 2009.

Hawk

vCash

Since 2000

1. Pacquaio
    2. Hopkins
    3. Barerra
    4. Morales
    5. Mosley

I had Marco as my #1 p4p when he lost to Pacquiao. I would have bet the house and children that Marco was going to outbox and KO the over agressive nobody Manny Pacquaio.

Was, I wrong!

vCash

Think I would have giving Primo Carnera the award in 1933. Or some one else.

Banned
    vCash

was IMO becuase of the soap box Fleischer was using at the time.

Don't want Ali to be the recipient? FIne. Give it to whomever you have #2 on your list.

Certainly Emile Griffith or Fighting Harada would have done that award proud in 66.

Hawk

Banned
    vCash

As an aside

to one of my previous posts, I was happy to see the BWAA select Manny as Fighter of the Decade also.

Manny Pacquiao Voted Fighter of the Decade

by Alan Thomson
    Written on February 01, 2010

On Sunday, Jan. 31, the BWAA selected Pacquiao from a group of nominees that included Bernard Hopkins, Floyd Mayweather, Shane Mosley, Juan Manuel Marquez, Joe Calzaghe, and Marco Antonio Barrera.

From 2000 through 2009, Pacquiao went 24-1-2 and won six world championships.

The BWAA also named Pacquiao "fighter of the year" for 2009 for his dominating wins over Ricky Hatton and Miguel Cotto, in which he picked up junior welterweight and welterweight world titles.

Freddie Roach was voted the 2009 "trainer of the year", the fourth time Roach has received the honor.

Juan Manuel Marquez vs. Juan Diaz was voted "fight of the year" for their Feb. 28 bout in which Marquez prevailed by ninth-round TKO.

Joe Tessitore of ESPN2's Friday Night Fights won the Sam Taub award for excellence in broadcast journalism.

Hall of Fame fighter Alexis Arguello was posthumously voted to receive the Marvin Kohn good guy award.

The Bill Crawford award for overcoming adversity was given to both Showtime boxing announcer Nick Charles and former heavyweight George Chuvalo.

Charles is currently battling cancer of the bladder. Chuvalo has had two sons die of drug overdoses and had a third son, along with his wife, commit suicide.

The BWAA will present the awards at their 85th annual banquet on June 11 in New York

Hawk

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12