Home News Current Champs WAIL! Encyclopedia
The Cyber Boxing Zone Message Board
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Pacquiao vs. De La Hoya Predictions and Discussion

vCash

Pacquiao vs. De La Hoya Predictions and Discussion

When I read the rumour of a De La Hoya vs Pacquiao fight it peaked my curiosity simply based on the size difference.
    Although Pacquiao took care of David Diaz with relative ease it does not substantiate Freddie Roaches claim that he can now step up 3 weight divisions to face Oscar De La Hoya at Welterweight. My guess is Oscar (Even at 35 years Old and I would say (A YOUNG 35 years old) would be just too big for Pacquiao.
    Interesting ploy though (The Golden Boy/Top Rank fallout) in the effort to make a mega payday for both fighters and their handlers.

Sincerely

Mikey Capp

Administrator
    vCash

Re: Pac/DLH? Why not?

The way he thoroughly manhandled Diaz and still showed plenty of power & speed, I give him a good chance against any small jr lightweight or maybe even a slower & older welter like DLH. I'd love to see him get in with Hatton first. Size has to catch up with Pac one day but I expected to see at least some vulnerability & ineffectiveness at 135...or at least a lack of focus. I saw none whatsoever. DLH is so much bigger than Pac so it's still really hard to fathom. I would really have to see Pac at 140 first before I give it any more thought. I am one who completely laughed at the prospect of both fights because of Pac's size but you just can't write this guy off. We are really fortunate to be around for his career.

vCash

pac will get killed
    instead of fighting cotto, he wants to close out his career fighting people half his size
    delahoya is such a greedy chump
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------

vCash

Manny is too small for Oscar. Glad this fight isnt happening.

vCash

Klitschko-Pacquiao, Anyone?

Sorry, I just had to post that up...

vCash

Glad the fight doesn't seem like it will happen, but it is probably just a ploy to get a little more money for Pac and Arum. Hopefully it is not happening.

That said, I think Pac could be competitive with Oscar. DLH will have to kill himself to make 147. When you consider that, the fact that Pac is just a much better fighter right now, Oscar's chronic late round fade, the speed difference... I'm not sure it's the blowout some have made it out to be for Hoya.

Sure, he could land a big counter hook, but if that doesn't happen, he could have been in for a fight. I obviously don't think much of Oscar right now.

Again though, I'm glad it has at least been stalled. Manny is a real fighter. DLH is a rich guy who doesn't want to get hurt while making another ridiculous payday.

Bring on Pac-Soto!

vCash

Pac would of got killed

vCash

Maybe it's me but weight divisions exist for a reason ... why not Oscar v.s. Sam Peter ?

vCash

Maybe it's me but weight divisions exist for a reason ... why not Oscar v.s. Sam Peter ?

vCash

Sam Peter would put Pac in a coma. Its a mismatch,

WKS

vCash

this is why not
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------

Administrator
    vCash

F#@k it, I'd throw some $ down on Pac. Can't wait to see the odds..

vCash

Diggity, who initiated this thread, says he can't wait to see the odds. My friend Jimmy Vaccaro, the pricemaker for a new betting chain headquartered at the Plaza in downtown Las Vegas (with outlets at the Grand Siera in Reno among other places) opened DLH minus-170 (8 1/2 to 5) with plus-150 on the dog side. Before arriving at this number, Vaccaro sought out my opinion and the opinions of a few others. No surprise that there were divergent opinions as this is a difficult price to formulate because of multiple angles and sub-plots. Vaccaro makes an interesting point. In all of his previous fights -- especially his recent fights vs. Hopkins and vs. Mayweather -- DLH was the people's choice. Virtually all of the small wagers ($50 and under) were written on the Golden Boy. For this fight, Vaccaro estimates that a majority of the small bets will be on Pac-Man. For the first time in his career, DLH finds himself in the role of "Goliath" and his opponent becomes the sentimental pick

Administrator
    vCash

Very interesting, thank you.

vCash

Some of ya'll are plum crazy . . .this is a mismatch. Oscar is still a top class world class 147-154 lber. Pacquao hasn't even solidified dominance at 135 yet. He is NOT a welterweight.

This will be a one-sided waste of anyone's $50, and the HBO 24/7 is not going to change my mind.

vCash

I'll still throw 10 bucks on Pac to win by late round TKO - I'm with Diggity - Plus if the unthinkable happens it will be worth it just to see the Dig mans post about it.

Check out this snippet from Doug Fischers Southern California Notebook from maxboxing.com/default.asp (I always add that part to skip the add page)

Before I left the gym, Roach asked me if there was any major boxing going on this Saturday. I told him Ivan Calderon was defending his 108-pound title vs. Hugo Cazares in Bayamon, Puerto Rico (a “Latin Fury” pay-per-view show that I will call along with the play-by-play of Nick Charles and the color commentating of Genaro Hernandez).

“Oh yeah,” Roach said. “Calderon is a good little boxer.

“Calderon sparred with Oscar in the first week of his camp for Mayweather.”

I asked how the Iron Boy did vs. the Golden Boy.

“He did well,” Roach laughed, “really well. Oscar has trouble with smaller guys. I know this.”

No wonder ‘Coach Freddie’ is excited about Pacquiao’s chances.
    I guess Steve Forbes is only an inch taller than Pac, and he didn't look like the Elephant Man after the fight or anything.

vCash

It's an interesting fight although the size difference is huge ... of course it is ofset by Oscar being older, slower and with weak stamina ...

Paq is not Mayweather from a defensive standpoint and I can easily see Oscar over powering him ... I think Paq should simply come in at his best weight and make sure he retains his speed ... anything can happen ...

Myabe we'll have another Willard / Dempsey here ...

vCash

De La Hoya is now going back on his previous word that this would be his last fight (the same thing that Hopkins did). This guy will hang around until he has squeezed the last filthy dollar out of his blind-following fans.

vCash

A Glimpse of Things to Come?

Maybe in a few years, this is what boxing's mega-draw will look like...

vCash

And his fans will still pay top dollar to see him dance!

MANAGING EDITOR-IN-CHIEF
    In an undisclosed bunker deep in the weird, wild, woods of the Pacific Northwest
    vCash

Haven't really cogitated on this one so I'm on the fence right now as to the possible outcome. BUT... If you think about it this fight was inevitable with Floyd retired or whatever the fuck he's doing today.

While on the surface the fight seems incongruous, who else can they fight that's gonna make them that kind of dough???

In fact, there in no matchup of active fighters today in any weight class that will attract the attention that this one will. Unfortunately it's too little too late for boxing.

This fight is a One Trick Pony. After the fight then what? Calzaghe fighting his grandmother? I mean there isn't a fight i can think of that will intrude upon the general sporting public's conciousness after this one.

GorDoom

vCash

Guys, this is a real interesting fight. Best of all it will generate some interest from the general public.

Manny is just the kind of guy to end Delahoya's career. He will present problems with his speed, his southpaw stance, aggression and angles. He's also a champion and fights with a champion's mentality. His defence isn't great and that's what makes this fight so intriguing.

Oscar is the bigger guy and harder hitter, but if he's on the backfoot all night getting outworked, his power advantage can be neutralized.

It's difficult to imagine Delahoya getting KO'd by a smaller guy but I can see a solid decision for Manny in this one or a TKO.

Boxing is not the sport to be a part time employee, and Oscar's been that for the last few years, a part time fighter.

Administrator
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by GorDoom
    In fact, there in no matchup of active fighters today in any weight class that will attract the attention that this one will. Unfortunately it's too little too late for boxing.

This fight is a One Trick Pony. After the fight then what? Calzaghe fighting his grandmother? I mean there isn't a fight i can think of that will intrude upon the general sporting public's conciousness after this one.

GorDoom
    100% agree
    It's gonna take a while to brew up the real compelling matchups. It was a good run while it lasted but boxing's lack of depth ultimately surfaced.

Pac is going to push the pace much more than PBF did. DLH has not fought a full 12 at a spirited pace in some time. DLH is still going to have well over a 10-15lb weight advantage with a 5 inch height differential come fight time. It's a lot to overcome considering DLH's skill even at this age but if there is anyone who can pull something like this off, it's Pac. Despite his fortune & fame he still fights as if his country depended on it. I'm very glad this fight came off & this is from someone who thought it was a terrible idea a year ago.

Banned
    vCash

I'm kind of intrigued by Campbell-Guzman.

I wonder if Nate will allow himself to be beaten by someone named "Joan"? PeteLeo.

vCash

Is boxing in such a sad state that it needs this fight?

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by PeteLeo
    I'm kind of intrigued by Campbell-Guzman.

I wonder if Nate will allow himself to be beaten by someone named "Joan"? PeteLeo.
    Agreed. This fight is 100 times more intriguing and relevant for boxing than De la Hoya vs. Handpicked Opponent. Yet, the amount of press it has gotten is minuscule relative to that circus show.

vCash

I was gonna use this space to bitch about the fight, but instead I'm gonna use the opportunity to go on record as saying that Pacquiao will beat Oscar in an entertaining fight. Speed, stamina, skill, being in his prime, not having to cut weight are the determining factors.

Administrator
    vCash

mrbig1 : Yes

Rafael : I agree

vCash

DLH has always had issues with south paws. Does anyone remember the last time he took on a lefty? He once swore never to take on a lefty.He also can never fight 12 hard rounds and Pacman will come hard every round. His is a part time fighter who has diminished skills.

With everything said above I just dont see Pacman winning. He started out at 108 pounds!

vCash

Cartoon fight. Nothing more.

Shame on you Oscar!!!!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast