Home News Current Champs WAIL! Encyclopedia
The Cyber Boxing Zone Message Board
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Cotto-Margarito Results & Discussion 7/26/2008

tedsares

If and When Cotto Fights Margarito…

i
    Last edited by tedsares; 07-28-2008 at 10:03 PM.

Administrator
    vCash

Re: If and When Cotto Fights Margarito…

I love this fight & it has to happen but I only see Cotto coming out of it. Margarito does not have the speed to give Cotto real problems. Margarito's pressure will give Cotto more of an opportunity to rip the short, sharp, accurate counter shots that he is known for. Cotto's defense is also pretty damn solid when he isn't facing someone with better than average slickness. This will be a tough fight, don't get me wrong, but Cotto has been on the better end of wars for a reason. Had Margarito the same resume as Cotto, I just don't see Margarito having the same success. I can see Cotto ending this fight on a body shot.

vCash

Both these guys need this fight. HBO hype can't make Cotto a superstar without a superfight, and this is also Margarito's best chance for a big payday and a career-defining win.

Two tough guys who can bang and have everything to fight for. I can't wait.

vCash

I favor Cotto to sharp-shoot his way to a points victory. Margarito's one solid chance is to work on Cotto's body up close and hope to wear the smaller man down with his strength.

vCash

Cotto finally fighting someone his own size? Da da da dummmmmm...

vCash

I don't have a pick yet but both of these fighters are flawed. Margarito's failings are well known but i have a suspicion about Cotto.

Remember the Black Rhino? Like him you can hit Cotto on the chin all night long but hit him a well plced blow on his head & Cotto wobbles. Like I said, it's just a suspicion but I think that's Cotto's possible weakness.

EMF

vCash

No doubt, cotto's temple is a chandelier, and Margarito can only beat Cintron convincingly. Both over-rated in my book.

vCash

Agreed.

EMF

vCash

Cotto-Margarito

I am excited to see this, an actual kick ass unification!

Miguel Cotto heading West for big Vegas bout against Antonio Margarito
    Greg Beacham, THE ASSOCIATED PRESS
    May 13, 2008 06:55
    Miguel Cotto's welterweight unification title fight with Antonio Margarito will be held in Las Vegas on July 26, The Associated Press learned Tuesday.

Cotto, the undefeated WBA champion from Puerto Rico, will headline a Las Vegas card for the first time when he meets IBF champion Margarito at the MGM Grand Garden, according to a person familiar with the decision who spoke on condition of anonymity because the completed deal won't be announced until next week.

Cotto (32-0, 26 KOs) hasn't fought in Las Vegas since Dec. 11, 2004, on the undercard of Vitali Klitschko's bout with Danny Williams. His last 10 fights were held in Atlantic City, Puerto Rico or New York, where he usually performs before loud, enthusiastic crowds - but the rising welterweight star's debut as a West Coast pay-per-view attraction is shaping up as the most tantalizing fight of the summer.

Promoter Bob Arum recently said he was interested in holding the fight in Las Vegas to promote Cotto to a new audience while also playing to Margarito's Mexican-American fans in California. Arum believes a Las Vegas bout will perform better on pay-per-view as well.

The Las Vegas notion gained momentum last month when the Nevada Athletic Commission amended its provisional rules on glove size, allowing welterweights to wear eight-ounce gloves instead of the previously mandated 10-ounce gloves. Nearly every other boxing jurisdiction allows welterweights to fight in eight-ounce gloves, and both Cotto and Margarito both likely would have refused to fight in Las Vegas without their usual gloves.

Margarito (36-5, 26 KOs) earned his shot at Cotto by taking Kermit Cintron's IBF title with a sixth-round knockout on April 12, moments before Cotto stopped Alfonso Gomez on the same card in Atlantic City. Margarito, who lost his WBO welterweight title to Paul Williams last summer, dominated Cintron for the second time in their careers to claim another belt.

Cotto's powerful punching and tenacity have made him the biggest threat to pound-for-pound king Floyd Mayweather Jr., the WBC welterweight champion who's more interested in reality television and big paydays than the primitive perils of a matchup with Cotto. Though Arum repeatedly has called out Mayweather on behalf of his client, Cotto hasn't joined the chorus, remaining content to fight whomever Arum puts in front of him.

With Mayweather still apparently headed toward a rematch of his tedious split-decision win over Oscar De La Hoya in the richest fight in boxing history, Cotto's meeting with Margarito likely is the most enticing fight coming up in the loaded welterweight division.

De La Hoya, who beat Steve Forbes on May 3, has said he would be interested in closing out his career with a fight against Cotto in December.

vCash

Re: Cotto-Margarito

I love this guy Margarito. If Cotto is in any kind of Corley type of trouble this young man will finish it.

Cotto has been let off the KO hook by too many fighters. Shane broke my heart letting Cotto run away those last few round. Shane had him.

Sick of Cotto. Sick! He is a Good fighter all around and maybe great realitive to his surroundings.

vCash

I like both guys. This is a win win situation for the fans. I hope we see the best of what both guys have to offer

vCash

I'm really excited about this fight - I can't think of an all out action war that will surpass this on paper this year at least.

vCash

I dont get the love that Margarito is getting. He's a big strong welter with a good punch but he is very slow and eminently beatable. I thought the Williams' fight (re)established his limitations (check out the Santos' fights) especially given what then happened to Williams. But he beats the very average Cintron yet again and he's a real threat to Cotto and a major player in the division?!
    Last edited by Paulie W; 05-20-2008 at 06:49 AM.

vCash

The guy is durab;e, big, strong, hits hard and has a great chin. So what if he is a little crude. At his best, he comes to fight and he can fight.

Santos was stopped on a cut and I thought he was coming on strong.

His major weakness is he sometimes starts slow. This wasn't te case in his last few fights. If he fights Cotto desperatly from the beginning, then it will be a great fight.

vCash

Williams and Santos have what to do with fighting Cotto exactly?

Margarito comes on late to take the decision.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by prodigious1
    Williams and Santos have what to do with fighting Cotto exactly?

Margarito comes on late to take the decision.
    No suggestion from me that Cotto fights anything like Williams or Santos but I am suggesting that Margarito is a very average fighter and losing to Williams reflects this.

Maybe he pushes Cotto hard - I dont think he beats him - but this says more about Cotto IMO than it does about Margarito's quality.
    Last edited by Paulie W; 05-20-2008 at 06:49 AM.

vCash

Well they give us a picture of what Margarito is capable of.You can't judge fights in a vacuum after all.

I don't rate either of them too highly.Especially Margarito.

Should be a good action fight though.

MANAGING EDITOR-IN-CHIEF
    In an undisclosed bunker deep in the weird, wild, woods of the Pacific Northwest
    vCash

Cotto vs. Margarito Predictions and Discussion

If anybody wants to volunteer to cover this fight, just post below.

thanks,

GorDoom

vCash

Re: Anyone here up fo covering Cotto-Margarito For the board?

I'd be happy to cover it if my PPV works this time - I've had some bad experiences. But I definitely plan on getting it.

Haven't been this excited about a fight in quite a long time. I'm taking Margarito by knockout if they don't stop it on some b.s. cut first. Cotto is better skilled, faster, a much sharper and shorter puncher, but I just think Margarito's chin, awesome conditioning, nonstop style, and left uppercut will get the job done over the long haul.

tedsares

Thanks, Adam

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by apollack

Haven't been this excited about a fight in quite a long time. I'm taking Margarito by knockout if they don't stop it on some b.s. cut first. Cotto is better skilled, faster, a much sharper and shorter puncher, but I just think Margarito's chin, awesome conditioning, nonstop style, and left uppercut will get the job done over the long haul.

Agreed!

vCash

I absolutely LOVE this fight. This is what boxing is all about. Cotto could have easily dismissed Margarito as a "nobody" (like Mayweather did) and held out for a higher profile or lower risk fight, but it is not in his fighter temperament to do so. This will be the only PPV money I shell out this year.

tedsares

Yes, the best face the best and that's old school stuff. I love it!!!

vCash

Re: Cotto vs. Margarito Predictions and Discussion

i'm leaning toward margarito, but in a fight that i really don't mind who wins, i just want to see it!

Administrator
    vCash

Exactly and I'm leaning towards Cotto for his precision & skill

vCash

I'll take Margarito by KO, I know it was a long time ago, but if a wild front runner at 140 pounds (Ricardo Torres) can nearly kayo Cotto, I think Margarito will really put some hurt on him, also, the way Cotto looked in the late rounds with Mosley suggests stamina problems, Margarito will be coming all night, has a great chin, and excellent stamina, punch variety and workrate,

on another note, the fight could go either way and end explosively at any time,

how many rounds are you guys feeling for this one?

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by tedsares
    Margo has great punch volume, is an incoming pressure fighter and has a granite chin. Cotto has improved greatly skill-wise and now has good movement. He too is a pressure fighter ala Jake LaMotta and is a superb body banger. For me, this one is bbecoming too close to call, but it reminds me of old school stuff when the best fought the best. This may be the best fight in years, because they both come to war. It's a "Machismo Explosivo" if ever there was one. If cornered, I give a razor thin edge to Cotto, but then again, a drwa is possible. The possobility of hand injuries and cuts are possible in this one as well. Can't wait.
    Pretty much agree with all of the above.

I also am really looking forward to this fight, a REAL FIGHT hopefully. I know many fans have a 'downer' on modern Boxing but I still think it's still the best sport on the planet by a long, long way.

So glad we are getting this one live on TV here in the UK, I just can't wait!!

I edge towards Cotto on points, better speed, more rounded fighter in general, as long as he fights mostly with his head and not with his heart!!!

MANAGING EDITOR-IN-CHIEF
    In an undisclosed bunker deep in the weird, wild, woods of the Pacific Northwest
    vCash

Cotto-Margarito Results & Discussion 7/26/2008

My old buddy & I'm guessing, but is seems like almost or damn near a decade long contributor to the CBZ, Adam Pollack, who is also an accomplished boxing trainer will be doing the honors tonight. With one caveat: He's been having trouble with his PPV connection.

If for some reason it doesn't work for Adam, fear not dear readers, our man Dig will be standing by to jump in & report in case Adam's connection screws up.

& as we all know satelite & cable companies NEVER screw up.

Yeah, right ...

Anyways, as usual please keep all discussion of this card to this thread. Redundant threads will be deleted.

thanks,

GorDoom

vCash

Excellent analysis of this fiight!
    Exactly how I feel this will go down.
    Margarito has an "A" chin, and Cotto has a "B+" chin,
    and that will be the difference in this fight.

We all win in this one,

Can't wait!

tedsares

Quote Originally Posted by TDKO
    Excellent analysis of this fiight!
    Exactly how I feel this will go down.
    Margarito has an "A" chin, and Cotto has a "B+" chin,
    and that will be the difference in this fight.

We all win in this one,

Can't wait!

Thank you, mate.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast