Home News Current Champs WAIL! Encyclopedia
The Cyber Boxing Zone Message Board
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Anyone see the Castillo/Lujan fight?

Administrator
    vCash

Anyone see the Castillo/Lujan fight?

from fightnews.com

The welterweight debut of former two-time WBC lightweight world champion Jose Luis "Temible" Castillo (56-9-1, 48 KOs) was not a successful one as he was outworked by former title challenger Sebastian Lujan (29-5-2, 20 KOs) on Wednesday night at the Sycuan Resort in El Cajon, California (a suburb of San Diego). Scores were 98-92, 99-91, 99-91 for Lujan who threw 1,200+ punches.

Administrator
    vCash

Re: Anyone see the Castillo/Lujan fight?

I shut it off and went to Free on demand to catch up on Mad Men.

The fight hit a pattern by the third, Castillo being outworked, and the result was clear to me with no real incentive to keep watching.

Castillo was FLAT and disinterested.

Administrator
    vCash

That seems to be the pattern of his last few fights, disinterested & going through the motions. I have a feeling he will do a few more fights like this before he calls it a career. It's too bad.

vCash

I watched this fight on and off, truly sad to see a badly faded warrior like
    Castillo, with no fire left, at 34 years old with high mileage.
    Lujan was Margarito's main sparring partner for the Cotto fight, which I find
    interesting because first Tony nearly boxed Lujan's ear off when they fought, and he appears physically to look like Cotto in build and a little in style without the same skillset. Looks like Tony picked the right sparring,
    preparation is the key, (And a granite chin, long reach, high punch output, constant pressure, etc....)

vCash

Stick a fork in Castillo. Lujan accomplished what not even Mayweather could, which was outbox Castillo for 12 rounds and treat him like a punching bag. Thanks for the great memories Jose Luis, but it's time to call it a day.

vCash

Castillo's mileage and weight issues have made him a done fighter since the Corrales rematch. Hatton's victory over him in retrospect really doesn't look very impressive.

Banned
    vCash

Raf c'mon

You are being to hard.

Can't you see it now though? Floyd announces his comeback and Castillo is the opponent of choice, so he can set the record straight for anyone who scored the first match for Castillo?

The ultimate tie-breaker (even though I had the rematch a draw. But I know I'm pretty much alone there with that card...)!

And if anyone thinks NO ONE would swallow this "glorious return" hook line and sinker......

Scary thought......but not out of the realm of possibility.

Hawk

vCash

Erik Morales Redux.

vCash

Thanks for everything, JLC. One of my favourites to watch. Great toughness, uppercuts, and a textbook on how to own the clinch.

vCash

Re: Raf c'mon

Quote Originally Posted by hawk5ins
    You are being to hard.

Can't you see it now though? Floyd announces his comeback and Castillo is the opponent of choice, so he can set the record straight for anyone who scored the first match for Castillo?

The ultimate tie-breaker (even though I had the rematch a draw. But I know I'm pretty much alone there with that card...)!

And if anyone thinks NO ONE would swallow this "glorious return" hook line and sinker......

Scary thought......but not out of the realm of possibility.

Hawk

I think it's very possible, but my hunch is they wait 15 or 20 years like Fenech-Nelson.

+ Reply to Thread