Home News Current Champs WAIL! Encyclopedia
The Cyber Boxing Zone Message Board
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Cervantes/Duran

vCash

Cervantes/Duran

Gentlemen

Why didn"t this fight happen? I know that there was some talk after the Duran / Lampkin, Cervantes/ DeJesus bouts. I don't believe either fighter was bothered by the idea facing the other. This would have been a HUGE regional fight with American TV money. So why didn't it happen?

Thank You

P.S. I had already placed a bet on Cervantes.

vCash

Re: Cervantes/Duran

I wonder if American TV money would have gone for it. Cervantes did not have much profile in the States, as I recall.

Shame, because it would have been a classic. But I think there was at least as much interest at the time in seeing if Duran could unify the WBA and WBC lightweight titles - and then Cervantes lost to Benitez.

Banned
    vCash

In Duran's book

This potential matchup was discussed.

Carlos Eleta was wary of the matchup given Cervantes skills. But much of this was dictated by money and it just wasn't there.

I'm thinking that had Cervantes not lost to Benitez, it would have happened. Cervantes had just beaten Hector Thompson and prior to that, Esteban Dejesus, two Duran opponents, as well as having knocked out a close friend of Duran in Pepermint Frazer a few years earlier, I think the matchup was brewing along.

The loss to Benitez derailed that, and the focus shifted to a Unification match with rival Esteban Dejesus who won the WBC lightweight title a couple of months after Cervantes lost to Benitez.

About a year earlier there were talks of facing Napoles, who then lost to John Stracey and that matchup faded as well.

I think if Benitez could have stayed focused and performed more consistantly following the win over Cervantes, that could have been a match that might have been made. But poor performances agianst Weston and Curry, plus the rise in weight to 147, pretty much killed that before it ever got legs.

Duran Cervantes would have made for an excellent bout.

Give me Duran by decision.

Hawk.

vCash

Re: In Duran's book

Other great match-ups of that era that didn't happen:

Conteh v Galindez
    Cervantes v Bruno Arcari
    Arguello v Pedroza

vCash

judging by pambeles fight against rodolfo gonzalez in L.A. I think duran would have stopped cervantes late. el gato dropped antonio hard in their fight and i felt would have won had he not suffered a bad cut which lead to a stoppage.

i also don't think he could have beaten napoles. however when mando ramos was traveling europe in his late career he came back singing the praises of "kid pambele" saying repeatedly...."cervantes is bad! " thats high praise coming from mando.

greg

Administrator
    vCash

Judging by the beatings Cervantes took from Cruz Marcano and Antonio Gomez in Caracas there is no way he holds off a 135-lb Duran. Marcano absolutely dominated and busted cervantes up with a left jab. Gomez outworked him also. I don't have info on his 3d VZ loss. (having said that, those two fights did for Cervantes what the Philly losses did for hagler -- improved him as a fighter).

But that is no knock as Duran beats EVERYONE at 135, bar none -- except maybe our very own El Gato!

vCash

Gomez beat Dejesus too.He's a too often forgotten featherweight champion because of running into Marcel so quickly.

I can't see too many featherweights since then beating him.

From what i've seen of Arari i'd go with Cervantes in that one.

Banned
    vCash

Thanks Mooch

You've given me another research project.

Much appreciated.

Hawk

vCash

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=7epF4HOdHuM

Hawk, that's highlights of his win over the champion Shozo Saijo.

Administrator
    vCash

Gomez is my neighbor in Cumana. He's a great guy. Like all VZ boxers, though, they partied too hard! He was a very tough guy though. The Saijo bout was broadcast live in Venezuela -- at 4 am -- and the entire town was up watching it.

He punched hard and was a good combo hitter. His trainer, Ely Montes, was Hall-of-fame worthy Ely Montes, who is known as "La maquina de hacer campeones." Montes trained among others Morochito Rodriquez, VZ's gold medal winner in 1968, the aforementioned Cruz Marcano, his nemisis Alfredo Marcano, Jesus Flores (a real potential star who beat B. Pinango before losing it all very quickly), Pedro Gomez, Antonio Esparragoza, and Pedro Rojas (Pedro made the mistake of running into Tommy Hearns. He retired after that bout, telling me he thought EVERY american fought like Hearns!). All these guys came from Cumana. Incredible and a testament to good training.

+ Reply to Thread