Home News Current Champs WAIL! Encyclopedia
The Cyber Boxing Zone Message Board
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Big Klit-Peter + Dawson -Tarver Results & Discussion 10/11/'08

MANAGING EDITOR-IN-CHIEF
    In an undisclosed bunker deep in the weird, wild, woods of the Pacific Northwest
    vCash

Big Klit-Peter + Dawson -Tarver Results & Discussion 10/11/'08

Wladimir Klitschko Sucks has volunteered to cover tonight's card. As always we can expect WKS to be COMPLETELY unbiased when it comes to the Klits (g).

I wish Dawson was fighting somebody besides Tarver because if I never see Tarver again it will be too soon. Klit-Peter does hold some intrigue. Can Klit comeback after such a long layoff & overcoming his various injuries? Is he going to be the warrior Klit we saw against Lewis? Or the Klit we've seen every other time he's fought?

Per usual please keep all discussion of this card to this thread. Redundant threads will be deleted.

thanks,

GorDoom

Banned
    vCash

Re: Big Klit-Peter + Dawson -Tarver Results & Discussion 10/11/'08

I know the result of Peter-Klitschko. Should I post it or allow the Showtime broadcast to unfold naturally? PeteLeo.
    Last edited by PeteLeo; 10-11-2008 at 06:40 PM.

MANAGING EDITOR-IN-CHIEF
    In an undisclosed bunker deep in the weird, wild, woods of the Pacific Northwest
    vCash

Pete:

I would suggest you let it unfold naturally ...BUT, if you wanna PM me the results it would be most appreciated ...

GorDoom

vCash

Vitali v Peter is the first fight tonight.

R1
    Vitali pawing with a jab/hook. Vitali with a good 1-2. Peter tries to jab back. Good hook by Vitali to Peters chin. Peter content to just plod forward, Peter staggered a bit and off balance, still tries to hjab. Peter cant get out of the way of V's left at all. Peter misses a wild left hook. Clear round for Vitali.

r2:
    V using that same jab-hook to keep Peters at bay. Peter continue to come forward but Vtali is easily making peter miss. Clinch. V's hands are already down by his waist. Peters eats jab after jab, now V lands a big right. another BIg right by V. Another good left by V. Peter lands a right. Another round for Vitlali,

r3:
    Peters starts a bigt better, tries a body shot. V continouosly landing that left hook. Peter reaching, trying to land. V cant seem to miss, landing lefts and rights. Peters tries a wild right but V counters with combos. V's round.

R4:
    V starts by landing jabs. Peters lands a jab of his own. good right by V. Peters doing nothing but plodding forward like david Tua, eating shot after shot. Good right by V lands right on Peters chin. V appears wide open for a left hook, his hands are down by his fucking knees, but Peters does nothing. Peters looks slow and lifeless. Another Vitali round.

r5
    The fight has open scoring and judges has it 4-0 Klitschko right now. V landing everything and Peters moving forward, Reply of the ohter four rounds.

r6
    Same thing, nothing new to report, V's round.

R7
    Peters looks like a hopeless clubfighter. a bit more aggressive this round but landing nothing. Peters eyes swelling up, V lands punch after punch after punch. ..

R8
    Vitali landing big rights and then a left hook. Jabs scoring all night long. PEter just eating it. Peters mouth wide open. Peters lunges in but lands nothing. Another big round for Vitali.

Peters quits on his stool, says 'no more, it's over.' Surprising win by Klitschko in a one sided fight. Klitschko TKO between round 8 and 9.

Administrator
    vCash

Kid Pancho and Kid Nando were brothers and they fought at least 10 times as pros! Axel Berggren and brother Gunnar also duked it out in 1930.

Can't the Klits do it just once?

Ps -- Kid Pancho won all 10 bouts against his younger brother, while Axel stopped his younger bro!

vCash

Peter must have been drugged!!!!

(Ya, that's it.......)

Talk about a non -effort

Ughhhhhhh

vCash

Dawson v Tarver is up now.

R1
    Tarver starts with the jab. Dawson feinting and moving. Dawson with a left to the body and lunges in with right hooks. Dawson with a right to the body. Dawson jumps in with body shots. Tarver lands a bodshot of his own. Another right to the body by D. good jab by D stops T in his trax. Good combo by Dawson who looks really fast. I give the edg to Dawson in this round.

R2
    D lands a good right counter. Tarver pawing with jabs. D with a good right uppercut, then another good combo . Now another uppercut by Dawson. Tarver takes them well though. Tarver now stalking and jabbing. Dawson fires off another 4 punch combo driving T back. D now content to move around the ring. T tries a few weak slow punches but may be a bit gunshy. Dawsons round.

round 3
    Nady getting involved unnecessarily. Dawson lands a very good right hand and three jabs on Tarver. Tarver gettin lit up but taking the punches. Good uppercut by T. D responds with a jab that snaps back T's head. Another uppercut by T sneaks in, now a good combo by Tarver. good action. Tarver stalks and Dawson not throwing much in the second half of the round. I give the round to Tarver.

round 4
    Dawson goes to the body. Tarver crowds D in the corner, but D gets out. Another good rbodyshot by D. T pawing, D missing a right. Good jab by D. D with a 4 punch combo pushes T back. Tarver jabs. good right jab by D disrupts T. more bodyshots by D. good defense by D. UPpercut by Tarver gets blocked. Very good punches land for D at the end of the round. Dawsons round.

round %
    Tarver coming forward. Good striahgt left stuns Tarver and D is jumping on him. T trying to remain cool, still coming forward. T missing feeble punches. D throws a 5 punch combo but most is blocked. Tarver missing. D lighing T up again. Good bodyshots by D. Good bodyshot by Tarver. Big miss by Dawson. T attempts an uppercut but its blocked. Rabbit punch by Tarver. Dawson's round.

round 6
    Tarver lands a left that pushes back D. D clinches. D jabbing but missing. D misses a left. D lands a straight left. Dawson moving but not throwing. Tarver landing good shots. Tarver lands a good left, D takes it. Dawson covering up and just resting. appears to be taking the round off. Tarver landing lots of bodyshots. Tarver getting confidence. Dawson taunting Tarver and talking to him. Clear round for Tarver.

round 7
    Tarver starts quickly in this round. Now Dawson unloading. jabbing and throwing combos. Dawson makes T miss. Tarver with a few body shots. Dawson lands a good right, then another 5 punch combo. Tarvers shots look weak. Dawson lands other combo, Nady warns him for low shots. Dawson smothiering Tarver. round ends with Tarver stalking. Dawsons round.

round 8
    Tarver throwing a lot but it's getting blocked. Dawson going backwar, now unloading a combo. D not doing much. Now he lands another combo. Tarver flailing. Dawson jumps on him and Tarver covers up. Dawson finishes the round strong after a slow start. Dawson round.

round 9
    not much action through the first half. Dawson appears way fresher. Tarver continues to stalk. Tarver lands a straight left. Tarver busier this round. Good combo and uppercut by Dawson. Excellent body work by Dawson and an uppercut makes Tarvers head go back. Dawson round but closer.

round 10
    good uppercut by D, then unloads on Tarver. bodyshot in close by D lands on Tarver. Tarvers arms look like wet noodles. D lands a triple jab. Good left by Dawson. Uppercut and a right pushes Tarver back. Dawson ends strong.

round 11
    Tarver busier this round but Dawson blocking a lot. Tarver more active. Decent flurry by D toward the end of the round. Non descript round that Tarver probably won because Dawson didnt do much.

round 12
    Dawson throws about 15 unanswered shots, hes just way too quick. Tarver looks confused. Dawson unloads with a righthand and knocks down Tarver, T sprawled backward really awkward and his glove hit the floor. Tarver up, appears ok. Dawson now unloading again. Tarver continues to throw and is trying his best to stop Dawson. Dawson now slowing down. Tarver is desperate. Dawson still throwing. Good uppercut by Dawson. Tarver landing good shots. Commentators saying that Tarver won this round but they mustve forgot that Tarver went down.

Judges score cards:
    unanimous win for Chad Dawson
    118-109
    117-110x2

vCash

Both fights when the way I thought it would.

Administrator
    vCash

Both fights went the way I hoped they would.

vCash

Tarver is done as a fighter. Peter first must learn how to fight. I picked Vitali to win not because he's that good but because Peter is that bad. I saw a big fat MW in James Toney made Peter look foolest in their first fight. Either learn to slip a jab or go to the MMA.

vCash

What can I say except I love boxing with all my heart, I watched the fight and was happy a doubleheader was on Showtime to make my Saturday night of enjoyment. I watched them both and grieved for boxing itself.

Yoda says, "So bad they are." Heavyweight champions? Dear God, so boring, so unskilled, so out of shape. Poster boys for MMA success.

Bob Foster must be watching this fight in New Mexico, a little drunk perphaps and say to his woman, I would take them both out in the first round one after the other. Bob, you are so right and you ain't bragging you are telling the truth.

Sooooooooooooooooooo boring, Eagles among crows. God almighty we have to start training fighters to excite people and win titles.

Banned
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by GorDoom
    Pete:

I would suggest you let it unfold naturally ...BUT, if you wanna PM me the results it would be most appreciated ...

GorDoom

Sorry, went out to dinner with one of the ex's after that post. Stevie-Boy emailed me the result, which, in turn, had been emailed to him by one of his longtime fans who lives in Germany and watched the fight live.

Anyone notice that Ricardo Williams won a match on the undercard of Dawson-Tarver? I thought Ricardo was under the jail for the next couple of decades due to his drug-dealing. PeteLeo.

vCash

Dawson owes Johnson a rematch.

Ideally the winner of that should fight Joe Cal but it sounds like he'll retire after Roy.

Vitali Klitschko=Jess Willard . . .carbon copy, almost like a step back in time.

Peter is dreadful, like I've been saying for awhile. Ron is right. The HW division compared to eras past is like comparing the Majors to the Mid-West Amateurs . . just not even comparable b/c the gulf in talent and depth is so vast.

vCash

Klitscho was better than Peters--but that is saying so very, very little. I think that Jersey Joe Walcott would take out either Peters or Klitschko within the distance. Heck, I think that Carnera would have a decent chance against Peters.

Administrator
    vCash

Say what you will about the terrible state of the heavies but Vitaly must be given a ton of credit tonight. He beat Peter easily, barely breaking a sweat. It was so easy it was pathetic. 4 year layoff? Give the man his due for undressing someone who has yet to be dominated anywhere close to that. He made Peter look like a sparring partner.

vCash

Vitali has almost never been credit by most here . For a thirty seven year old guy coming off four years of inactivity he did terrific. When you are 6' 7" tall you are going to look sloppy at times and he did and was. However, he came in decent shape, he came to fight, he completely dominated Peter and won the fight. He is also already injured as his hands are swollen and very sore. Peter was completely dominated as he had never been before . He could not storm in because he was being badly punished. All in all an impressive impressive performance.
    Last edited by HE Grant; 10-12-2008 at 07:18 AM.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by diggity
    Say what you will about the terrible state of the heavies but Vitaly must be given a ton of credit tonight. He beat Peter easily, barely breaking a sweat. It was so easy it was pathetic. 4 year layoff? Give the man his due for undressing someone who has yet to be dominated anywhere close to that. He made Peter look like a sparring partner.
    I completly agree Vitali put forth an impressive first-fight performance after a very long layoff.

But Peter is so bad to me it was on par with Tito coming back and KO'ing Mayorga. And Ricardo actually has more skills.

WBC paper title or not, Peter was a CONTENDER and not a champion. And while Vitali did dominate him more than any other opponent, Wlad and Toney both gave Peter boxing lessons when their own glaring vulnerabilities didn't shine through (Toney's weight/conditioning and Wlad's chin/fear of getting hit)

Concerning the other card, I wonder if Tarver is now going to call it a day. He's closing in on 40 and b/c of the Roy trilogy has made a good amount of $. I don't think he has really anywhere to go after this. 4th fight with Roy? Johnson rubber match?? Snoooz.

vCash

I understand Diggity and He Grant's POV, he definitely dominated Peter and after all that time off he gets his props for sure. It is just that Peter is forever incapable of losing the girth of fat around his obliques, lower back and entire midsection which impedes him from doing anything but hitting a stationary heavy bag.

As to Vitali, what can I say except what I saw. A boxer with his hands down, very slow, basic boxing 101 in the gym and no aura of any kind of dazzling skilll, speed, power or movement.

It is a Terminator wasteland of a division. Being 6'7 is no excuse, you can either fight like a champion or you cannot. Imagine Joe Louis blasting away at him like he did with Carnera. Whats next Valuev and Kilit in Land of the Giants sub novice Empire Games.

Bring on the dancing Bears. So sad.

vCash

Carnera's coming back ?

vCash

I saw him in the gym yesterday, he was talking to a guy who looked like Humphrey Bogart while saying, "Eddie, I have money now to buy shoes for my father?," and Bogey handed him an envelope I didn't want to interupt them.

He's fighting Klit next.

vCash

I am glad that Tarver loss to Dawson, but for me, and I am only speaking for myself.......my worst heavyweight nightmare has been achieved. Both of the Klit brothers hold heavyweight title bouts. I wish the boxing gods would bless us with an American Hope to knock out all of the former soviet bloc fighters of their pedestals. I admit I am biased towards them. I am a relic of the cold war days and I never liked or trusted these Russians or former Russian republics. Unfortunately they are the best of a very bad lot of heavyweights. As I had said earlier, the Klits are lucky that they didn't come up in a different time, because they would be champs. A prime Tyson, Holyfield, Riddick Bowe, Lennox Lewis, would have cleaned their clocks. Hell even contendors/titlists like Oliver McCall, Tony Tucker, Tommy Morrison, Cooney, Corrie Sanders(the South African) would get to them as well. How did we get here? In my opinion, we have lost an entire generation of US heavyweight to the NFL and NBA. Guys in the inner cities are looking to these sports instead of boxing. Just Imagine if Ray Lewis, Terrel Owens, Hugh Douglas and a host of other well built line backers and defensive tackles had concentrated on boxing instead of college and pro football and basketball. American punchers Tommy Morrison and Earnie Shavers were both excellent foot ball players before they started boxing. We are losing to many punchers to football and basketball. From 1988-2008, lack of consistent boxing network coverage on ABC, NBC, CBS, bad olympic boxing decisions, too many PPVs, corruption, greed, and of course Mike Tyson's bitting bs has turned off both potential fans and sponsors. We haven't had a new US heavyweight sensation since a young Mike Tyson in 1985, but that just my 2 cents. I feel better now that I have vented.
    Last edited by sr71ko; 10-12-2008 at 01:10 PM.

vCash

On a positive note, it was nice to see a decent double header that wasn't pay per view, (even though one was not live).
    I thought Tarver looked pretty good, and tried to stalk and land big shots against a much younger, stronger, faster opponent, who kept his hands high, kept focus and listened to his corner, (beautiful , fast combos to the head and body didn't hurt).
    As far as the Klits....... seems like we are right back to where we were four years ago......bummer, but an American heavyweight will emerge, maybe this economy will help produce him.....(lol)
    Vitali did fight Sanders, who came in dreadfully fat and out of shape, and fought with courage and guts and took his beating without quitting, even though his face was turned into hamburger, he landed some great straight lefts which shook Vitali, would have could have should have if he would have bothered to get in shape.

Administrator
    vCash

I agree.
    The topic of how bad the heavies are has been beaten to death & then some.

Dawson held to the game plan he needed to get the job done. I was very glad to see him beat Tarver convincingly. He was never in any real danger with Tarver as he took the initiative to take control of the fight anytime Tarver stepped up. Tarver to his credit fought very well, I don't think he beats Dawson if he was younger. Dawson isn't perfect but he is just faster & maybe overall just better. I'm curious how he would have done against RJJ way back when. He might have given him problems just like Tarver.

I think everyone here knows Vitaly is far from any graceful semblance of a heavy but he uses what he has well, he comes to fight & is always in condition. His feet are so damn big that he can't help but look clumsy each time he lifts a leg. I couldn't believe how easily he stayed out of Peter's reach even with his arms down like that. Peter was apparently spooked with the incoming. Vitaly doesn't look like he hits hard but nobody other than Lewis has ever took real chances against him. I'm left wondering how much Peter's life & death fight with McCline played into his tentativeness. Either way, this win sucks for the sport but I can't help but admire Vitaly for this one.

vCash

I don't agree that Vitali's win is 'bad' for the sport. Let's assume Peter won.. then what? He fights Baby Brother, and then what?

Sam Peter or Wlad heading the division (or Valuev) to me, via an 'unwatchable series of events' is no better than having both Klitschko bros, Valuev and some assorted others milling around calling themselves champ, and people knowing it is ridiculous before we even examine the fighting acumen of the claimants.

I actually prefer to have my mediocre heavy champs not undisputed. Maybe that makes me a bad person... bad fan... nah..
    Last edited by Sharkey; 10-12-2008 at 03:34 PM.

Banned
    vCash

Guys, watch the first round again and count the number of dead-on hooks, rights, and jabs Peter eats in those three minutes. The man got his ass kicked then and there, and it's no big shock to me that he wasn't Dwight Qawi on attack thereafter. Even the Tasmanian Devil would have second thoughts after getting whupped on like that early.

As much as it triggers revulsion in some of us, Klitschko is a damned good heavyweight fighter who knows how to maximize his physical dimensions against lesser men, just as Lewis was. And he has a very good chin.

I'm not calling him an all-time great, and I doubt that he's ever generally included in the top ten/twenty, but this continual lambasting of him goes a little beyond the pale (SIC?), in my opinion. Years ago, while hanging around the public library when my Mom was at work, I discovered microfilm and eagerly sought out contemporary accounts of fighters from earlier times in newspapers and magazines. The one guy whose coverage seemed most like the unending brickbats hurled at Klitschko today -- "clumsy," "ugly," "lucky this is such a poor time for heavyweights," "far removed from the glory of Dempsey and Louis," "amateurish," "easily beatable," and the like -- was an undersized performer whom many of you assembled here have probably seen on film: Rocco Francis Marchegiano, a.k.a. Rocky Marciano. Now, I am NOT comparing the two men in either talent or accomplishment, but when reading the words of sportswriters of the Fifties (especially in Newsweek), it's not difficult to draw parallels in the treatment of the pair.

Klitschko has done all that was asked of him in his career, aside from that one Saturday evening when he felt himself too injured to continue against Byrd. He's never been behind in points in a pro fight (who else can say that?), and his KO per centage is the highest in major heavyweight history. He's not "pretty," and his personality is neither the "Aw, shucks" ingenuousness nor the "I am the best there ever can be!" bombast that are so appealing to most fans, but who today has beaten a better level of fighters in his class? I hope he defeats Valuev and quits (or quits when Wlad beats Valuev) to make way for more compelling guys, but, shoot, let's give the Devil his due for now. Okay? PeteLeo.

vCash

Damn, Peter's so stiff, slow and wild that he made Vitali look like Ali in there, the fact that Vitali used the stick and move gameplan is probably why he didn't kayo Peter, he was throwing quick stinging shots instead of overcommiting and sitting down on his punches, goddamn Peter looked awful, he had some zip on his shots in the first round but just looked slower and more exhausted as the rounds went on, shit, where does this fight leave Peter? a bout with Tua maybe?

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Lipton
    I understand Diggity and He Grant's POV, he definitely dominated Peter and after all that time off he gets his props for sure. It is just that Peter is forever incapable of losing the girth of fat around his obliques, lower back and entire midsection which impedes him from doing anything but hitting a stationary heavy bag.

As to Vitali, what can I say except what I saw. A boxer with his hands down, very slow, basic boxing 101 in the gym and no aura of any kind of dazzling skilll, speed, power or movement.
    It is a Terminator wasteland of a division. Being 6'7 is no excuse, you can either fight like a champion or you cannot. Imagine Joe Louis blasting away at him like he did with Carnera. Whats next Valuev and Kilit in Land of the Giants sub novice Empire Games.

Bring on the dancing Bears. So sad.
    Hand down,?? I not saying Vitali is all time great here, but many good to great boxers box with hands down, Ali, Tunney, Dempsey, Corbett, Jones Jr, Armstrong, the list goes on.

vCash

Peter looked bad because he doesn't know the art of boxing. No skill + no talent = getting your ass beat.

vCash

sam peter fought the dumbest fight i can imagine.... was there ever a formulated game plan for fighting a guy he was giving up so much height to?

sam looked like he was the one fighting tall.... where was the bob and weave?
    could someone have trained him to come in low slam the right to the body and stay close? there are tapes of joe frazier out there and sams camp should have invested in a few.

greg

vCash

I completely agree with PeteLeo here ... Vitali falls into the "No One Roots for Golaith category ... he's talented, very tough and brave. He took on Lennox Lewis on short notice. He took on Peter who roughed up his brother with no warm ups ... the four years off really threw off his all time rating as he might have had ten or twelve more defenses and we would have had more to gage him by ... whatever, for last night he deserves some due and will get it from me ,,,

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast