Home News Current Champs WAIL! Encyclopedia
The Cyber Boxing Zone Message Board
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Dempsey in Nevada by Guy Clifton

vCash

Dempsey in Nevada by Guy Clifton

Dempsey in Nevada by Guy Clifton, 2007 Jack Bacon and Co. 182 pages

I just finished reading this book yesterday and enjoyed it very much. I don't remember who said it, but I think it may have been somone on this forum some time ago, that they felt there still needed to be one truly great book written about Jack Dempsey. I think they might be right. There have been some very good ones like the ones written about him by Randy Roberts and Roger Kahn, and of course some by Dempsey himself, but there is so much ground to be covered concerning the man and his career that I've always been left wanting for more information about him and his life in one area or another.

Well that one truly great book about Dempsey, the one that covers his life from A-Z might still be waiting to be written, but I think this book does a very nice job of filling in a number of gaps in his life. As one would expect from the title of the book, it focuses on Dempsey's ties to the state of Nevada, providing a lot of information concerning fights he had early in his career in that state. It also provides a lot of information concerning his promotional activities in that state after his boxing career, particularly concerning the Baer - Uzcudon fight, and the time he spent living in Reno, and his friendships and relationships with various parties in the state.

In general I highly recommend it to anyone who has an interest in Dempsey. The pictures alone, I counted approximately 133 in total, many that I had never seen before, made me glad that I had acquired the book.

vCash

Re: Dempsey in Nevada by Guy Clifton

Sounds interesting ... so does this ...

http://www.amazon.com/Fight-Pictures...ref=pd_sim_b_2

I've always been interested in the early fights that were filmed and staged ...I've read there is film of Corbett sparring (in dress clothes) with Tunney but never saw anything but a single photo ... this cover is a different photo ...

vCash

Re: Dempsey in Nevada by Guy Clifton

I don't have that one yet. I wonder if it mentions various fights that were known to have been filmed at one time which have apparently not survived over the years. You know that at least one Sam Langford - Sam McVea fight that took place in Australia was filmed. Langford toured the country afterward speaking to audiences who gathered to view it. I often wonder if it might not have survived in some form and somewhere out there is a private collector who has it.

+ Reply to Thread