Home News Current Champs WAIL! Encyclopedia
The Cyber Boxing Zone Message Board
Closed Thread
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Wow, the BIG ONE! ... THE TRAGEDY OF KATRINA

jyoungfan2

Re: honesty

How do i honestly feel bush has done? okay, here goes

I think he f**ed up the first 2 days. But since has done everything possible. i honestly think the greater blame lies with the mayor and governor. And thats not a republican bashing a democrat.

"Sorry, but this current **** up is all republican.."

I am bowing out of this conversation, its not doing anyone any good. Once again, the mayor and governor are democrats, yet its all the republicans fault? talk about blinders.
    I'm willing to wait and see what an INDEPENDANT committee finds out before asking for anyones head on a platter.

as for bush winning in florida, get over it allready

and if someone calls himself president, he shouldn't use a cigar on an intern half his age and lie to the american people about it.

" honesty and taking responsibility for ones actions certainly is not a strong point of republican politics "

"I can cut to the chase and just name three of the very top republicans and just add a word that is associated with them…"

I can play that game too, ted kennedy-murderer, robert byrd -KKK, Bill Clinton-adulterer, pardons for sale, liar....

PeteLeo

Questions, Questions, Questions

Ah, jyoungfan, it's nice to know that there's no room for politics or religion on the board, isn't it?
    When was the last time Katrina was even mentioned in this Bush Bashing Frenzy? Who passed the law that if you're a "fellow traveling" Dem (Blanco, who told Bush to go **** himself when he called her before the storm hit with advice to get her people out of its line of fire, and Nagin, who wouldn't even use the 500 school buses at his command to evac his citizens back when they had the chance to survive), you automatically get a free pass in the responsibility department, even though you're 99&44/100% to blame for every dead body floating down there?
    When did the Wednesday after the Monday storm become "five days" of inaction on Bush's part? When did FEMA become a first response department (which it has been under no other president)? When did following legal protocol become a reason suitable for blaming an official (Bush) for every perceived hysterical Dem complaint since the Civil War?
    When did completely ignoring the facts (nearly 2 billion federal bucks poured into LA under Bush's watch, far more than any other state, yet the levees are still his responsibility due to some 20 mil Slick Willie promised while sliming his way out the White House door and taking massive payoffs to pardon convicted rich felons) allow supposed reasoned discourse to devolve into jumping up and down and screaming, "It's still his fault, he caused global warming, he caused the hurricane, he stole the election, he hates poor people!"?
    How was a thread supposedly dwelling upon the biggest natural disaster of (our) modern times allowed to degenerate into a shrill blame game when virtually every other politically-themed discussion herein has been zapped p.d.q. (political statements like last fall's admission from yours truly that he intended to vote for Mr. Bush again -- you bet your ass that one was gone the very next day)?
    Perhaps the most perplexing question has to be: how in the ever-loving world did the Dems, the Libs, the Hips & Yips, and the Hate Everybody But Us crowd ever allow Bush to escape total and damn-him-to-Hell responsibility for last year's tsunami tragedy? Surely logic and science have never stopped them before, right? PeteLeo.

BDeskins

Re: Questions, Questions, Questions

It's funny to hear it coming from you Pete about no politics on this board because I only recall two other threads during the last few months that dealt with politics and they both were started by you about democrats, but now your feelings are hurt because the ignorant moron that you voted for has again done what he does best...only now it has been of cataclysmic proportions and it just plain and simply is not something that can be overlooked, except by those of the Bush philosophy, but the rest of America has had it with his clueless smirks and complete lack of leadership!

Try to avert the attention all you two want, but it isn’t going to work this time! Honestly, you guys want to try to lay blame on the mayor of New Orleans, who himself had no way to get any help…he asked for it and it took, as I said, four, or five days, which doesn’t surprise me as that is common with republicans, place the blame on someone else, or try to dodge the blame altogether! Sorry Pete, but it wasn’t two days as you say, help didn’t even start arriving in New Orleans and other parts until Friday, but I know republicans look for any way to make things not look as bad as it really is, but sorry, Bush choked, as usual and the pathetic way that he has performed in office sure as hell merits impeachment a lot more than a blow job does, and speaking of an intern half of Clinton’s age, well Lewinsky knew exactly what she was doing, just as many girls her age does nowadays, it’s not the 1950s anymore, it’s just too bad that the republicans couldn’t use a personal situation for political gain at the time, like they wouldn’t sink that low!

As I have said, Bush has turned out to be one of, if not the worst president in history. The economy is falling to pieces and another depression is just around the corner, although the rich don’t have to worry about that, I’m sure Bush will pass some more tax cuts for them before he is done with the damage he is causing. There are young men dying everyday in Iraq over oil, be a dumbass and believe that it is for freedom if you want, but I’ll hover a little closer to reality.

Thousands probably have died in New Orleans alone, which as I said earlier, many was unavoidable, but the slack-ass response from Fema, run by a republican horse chaplin, and the national government, run by republicans, certainly caused many more people to die than should have. I wonder what the total number of people will be that have died as a direct result of George Bush…what’s the count in Iraq now, 1800 Americans that have died because of a bullshit war that Bush took into Iraq, which was sold to the people by fear and lies, not to mention that Halliburton has made billions from that particular war, although certainly it was just a coincidence that, and what has happen to Bin Laden, whom Bush said no rest until he was found, hell Bin Laden isn’t even mentioned anymore.

Most of Bush’s inept bullshit in the past had been overlooked, but the last **** up, I’d really like to use another word, but nothing else can really describe it any better, with the hurricane was the last straw and Bush deserves everything bad that is and will be said about him, but of course you people that know better will still believe the fictional account that the republican ran investigation will bring out and if you do, you should be ashamed of yourselves! What did jyoung say about hate and democrats…was it hate everyone? A republican sure as hell has no business talking about hate…need I mention African-Americans, Gays, Tree-huggers, or anyone else that doesn’t have 1,000,000 in the bank! George Bush said best himself during one of his fund raisers, which was filled with multi-millionaire oil moguls, ceo’s of other corps like Enron, the national rifle association and of course how I can leave out the tobacco industry, well Bush said, “people call you the elite of the country, I call you my base,” that statement says it all!

PeteLeo

Did you even read what I said? Honestly?
    FEMA is not a first response department. It's designed to come in afterwards to clean up.
    Nagin refused to use the buses over the weekend prior to the storm. He refused to force residents to leave. He has about as much skill as a mayor of a major city as I would have.
    Blanco told Bush and Washington to FO before the storm (see a pattern here?), when they were strongly urging her to take proper precautions.
    Bush was pushing the 20.5 billion relief fund through the slowly grinding wheels of Congress (comprised of more that just Republicans, you know) on Wednesday. Wednesday is not Friday, even on a Dem/Lib (I like that term even more than "neo-con") calendar. The "talented" Ms. Blanco didn't even request federal help until Wednesday. Where's the Bush fault in this? It was Nagin's cockeyed idea to dump all of the refugees into the Superdome without proper food, water, or protection ("It's just a little wind . . . it'll blow over"), and yet through some amazing convolution of what is supposed to be "Lib logic," you guys still rant and rave about how it's the fault of the Repubs. What color is the sky in your world?
    The economy is far from "collapsing." In fact, it's doing emabrrassingly well (embarrasing for you Dem/Libs, anyhow) and the Dow experienced one of the best days in its history within the past week. Looking at the Clinton Recession brought on by the collapse of the dot.com revolution (the only thing that kept that fat fraud afloat through two terms), the economy has been little short of spectacular.
    What two "political" threads did I start? Penn & Teller? I laughed as they punctured those sacred Dem/Lib balloons like recycling and the "disappearance of our forests," but that had more to do with philosophy than politics (it just so happens that the flakier faction of the national spectrum gravitates to the Dem/Lib sleight of handers). And I also chuckled when P&T skewered Biblical inerrancy, drug laws, the infringement of free speech by the FCC, and other topics that slant towards the conservative side. How was that political on my part?
    I have no idea what the "second" "political" topic you're referring to might be. Who I was going to vote for? I didn't start that (I don't recall who did, in fact), and I think that mine was the only response to the original question ("Who are you voting for for Pres?") to see the light of day before it was obliterated due to the "no politics" rule (I even predicted the erasure in my response).
    To the best of my knowledge, I've said next to nothing about Clinton's recruiting an underaged subordinate for sex, though I'll be glad to take that up, if you wish, and it's truly gloves off now. Notice how teachers -- male and female -- are routinely going off to prison for the same thing Billy Boy did in the nation's top office?
    My beef (no pun intended) with Clinton is his deification by Dem/Lib (gosh, I like that) sycophants when in truth he was practically absent as a chief executive. He had the great good fortune of the PC revolution and the '94 Republican takeover which effectively neutered him (politically, of course) so he couldn't shoot himself in the ass with his inept "policy-making" while all of the formerly downtrodden computer nerds sparked a financial windfall. He was one lucky son of a gun, all right, and perhaps the greatest portion of that luck came with his departure from office. If he had been faced with the economic mess that he left for Bush, I shudder to think what might have happened. (You want politics, I'll give you politics.)
    I'll repeat an earlier statement: read everything I've written on this entire thread and the see if my disappointment that such a huge, tragic, and historical topic was allowed (encouraged, one might say) to rot into a Dem/Lib witch hunt is anywhere near as "political" as the typical high-pitched, eyes-closed, mind set in concrete demands for Bush's impeachment and eventual lynching that make up ninety per cent of the posts. Maybe I've strayed toward the political lately, but, you know, things like that tend to occur when wildly unsubstantiated charges from the other direction continue to shriek like rabid crows in the night. When you're push-pushed-and pushed some more, you tend to push back. Personally, I'd like to drop this mess right here, but that would be seen as surrender by certain folks, wouldn't it?
    Dialogue in the classic sense requires two points of view. A bunch of hysterical charges with no basis in fact don't constitute dialogue. The only question is will we have politics on a site that has from its inception rejected politics or not. I sure as hell didn't bring it into the mix. PeteLeo.

PeteLeo

PS

I'm not a Republican, registered or otherwise. I voted for several democrats last election. When was the last time you voted republican? PeteLeo.

PeteLeo

PPS

Thanks for calling me a "dumbass." It's always nice to be reminded just how "compassionate" and "supportive" you Dem/Libs are. PeteLeo.

jyoungfan2

hmmmm

Peteleo in 2005, you got my vote.

I was wondering where the basis for "the worst economy" came from, last I heard the economy was kicking butt.

Every time someone says the economy was so great under clinton, I bring up that exact same point. The internet took off during clintons term. He had very little to do with it. The bubble burst and Bush brought us back from a recession.

every one seems to forget the 100 or so pardons clinton gave out during his last days in office. weren't there quite a few wealthy people given pardons or is it my imagination?.

let bush pardon 1 person and the microscopes will come out in force.

lewinsky might have known what she was doing, but so did clinton, adultery is adultery. but hey, why should the president be held up to any moral standards. Its not like he preached family values or anything...

I still don't understand the logic that the president would know more about emergency proceedures in a city than the mayor .

lets not blame the mayor for not using city resources, like hundreds of school busses, to evacuate people, but lets blame the president instead for not calling in the 7th cavalry.

food, water, essentials in the superdome? why would people need that? the mayor couldn't possibly have forseen that thousands of people would be hungry or thirsty.

jyoungfan2

off the newswire

With Carl Limbacher and NewsMax.com Staff
    For the story behind the story...

Wednesday, Sept. 7, 2005 11:52 p.m. EDT
    Gov. Kathleen Blanco's Bureaucrats Blocked Food and Water

The Red Cross was reportedly ready to deliver food, water and other supplies to flood-ravaged refugees who were sweltering inside New Orleans' Superdome last week - but the relief was blocked by bureaucrats who worked for Louisiana Gov. Kathleen Blanco.

Fox News Channel's Major Garrett reported Wednesday that the Red Cross had "trucks with water, food, hygiene equipment, all sorts of things ready to go ... to the Superdome and Convention Center."

Story Continues Below

But the Louisiana Department of Homeland Security, Garrett said, "told them they could not go."
    "The Red Cross tells me that Louisiana's Department of Homeland Security said, 'Look, we do not want to create a magnet for more people to come to the Superdome or Convention Center, we want to get them out,'" he explained.

"So at the same time local officials were screaming where is the food, where is the water, the Red Cross was standing by ready [and] the Louisiana Department of Homeland Security said you can't go."

Editor's note:

BDeskins

Re: off the newswire

Sorry, but right now I don’t have the time to read your entire post, but the are just a couple of quick things to respond to…firstly, you are not a republican just like I am not a democrat and to answer your question about the last time that I voted for a republican, well it was actually two, or three years ago when I voted for sheriff of my county and the person I voted for was a republican, although I have been impressed very little by any other republicans, but I would not care one bit to vote for a republican if I felt that he was the best candidate for the job, unfortunately that is a very rare occurrence!

The other thing to respond to is that I did not call you a dumbass, but just like it is assumed by jyoung that others and I are trying to lay all the blame on Bush alone for the way the national government dropped the ball during the tragedy on the Gulf coast, well that’s what happens when people assume something just for the sake of making it fit into their own argument, but I think my exact words were, “There are young men dying everyday in Iraq over oil, be a dumbass and believe that it is for freedom if you want, but I’ll hover a little closer to reality.” Now, many people still want to “assume” that the Iraq war is in the name of freedom and terrorism on America, but in all truthfulness, how could anyone believe as such? Now if you fall into the category of people that honestly thinks that the situation in Iraq is for the sake of freedom, then yes, I did call you a dumbass, but if you do not believe it, then you don’t, but it wasn’t a straight forward insult to you, believe me, whenever I want to insult someone I don’t beat around the bush, no pun intended! Lastly, jyoung, I thought you were bowing out of this discussion?

jyoungfan2

I was/am, but peteleos post moved me...8)

I miss the hot chicks thread

BDeskins

So what are you trying to say...that my posts aren't moving in an inspirational if not emotional way?

kikibalt

this is funny but so truth

kikibalt

JYF2
    I don't believe anything coming from
    FOX NEW CHANNEL

Frank B.

PeteLeo

Your post of 9/9/05, 12:02 a.m. " " . . . be a dumbass and believe it is for freedom, if you want . . ." Since you were responding to my posting (which, with delicious Dem/Lib "logic," you admitted you didn't have "time" to read), I took the "you" to be "me." Was I wrong to try to apply the time-honored traditions of linear thought and reasoned conclusions to the "anything goes so long as it's in keeping with my policies" Dem/Lib discussion? I suppose I must apologize -- I forgot that it's entirely okay for Dem/Libs to rewrite reality and change the past at their whim.

Bill Maher? Bill Maher? You're seriously posting something he wrote as rational and relevant, even while you dismiss Ann Coulter as a "nut"? Bill Maher is so far to the left that he can almost see the back of his own head. I'll give two seconds of consideration to anything Bill Maher vomits up just as soon as he publically apologizes for calling our troops in Afghanistan "cowardly."

So, it's okay to respond to posts that you haven't even read now, hmmm? I'll have to remember that tactic. It opens up so many entertaining vistas. PeteLeo.

kikibalt

I posted Bill Maher because it's funny
    But truth , i don't know about you Bush lover's he
    must have you guys mesmerized

Frank B.

Juan C Ayllon

Dubious Tactics by 'Planned Parenthood'?

Hey,

FYI, I just received this interesting bit of news in my email today:

Planned Parenthood Continues to Exploit Hurricane Katrina Victims

by Steven Ertelt
    LifeNews.com Editor

September 7, 2005, New Orleans, LA (LifeNews.com) -- Pro-life advocates say Planned Parenthood, the nation's largest abortion business, continues to exploit victims of Hurricane Katrina. The organization previously said it would provide morning after pills to victims, instead of food or shelter, and is now raising money off of the hurricane for its local abortion centers.

On its national web site, Planned Parenthood solicits funds for Hurricane Katrina support efforts. In fine print, the abortion advocacy group explains that all of the money raised will be used to support its local abortion businesses.Under a headline "Help Those Affected by the Hurricane," Planned Parenthood admits that "100% of your tax-deductible contribution will go directly to helping Planned Parenthood affiliates."

"Your support is particularly important right now because Planned Parenthood is facing a truly tremendous number of challenges in the courtrooms, in Washington, D.C., and in our clinics," the abortion business says on the hurricane donation page.

Jim Sedlak, executive director of STOPP International, a group that monitors Planned Parenthood, called on the federal and state governments to end any taxpayer funding for it."By exploiting the tragedy of Hurricane Katrina for its own financial gain over the last 10 days, Planned Parenthood has shown that it is a calculating, callous organization undeserving of any public support," Sedlak said.

Sedlak said Planned Parenthood has been the recipient of more than $3.6 billion in taxpayer funds since 1987 and has current assets in excess of half a billion dollars. "America is in the grips of what could be the worst natural disaster in its history, and all Planned Parenthood can think of is how to get its hands on the money pouring in for rescue operations," Sedlak added.

Planned Parenthood came under fire shortly after the hurricane when it said it would provide morning after pills, which sometimes cause abortions, to victims of the hurricane instead of food or shelter."

As Hurricane Katrina ripped through the southeastern United States, Planned Parenthood was there to offer one free month of birth control or one free emergency contraception kit to women from Louisiana and Mississippi," Planned Parenthood Federation of America interim president Karen Pearl wrote to donors and supporters.

As a result of Planned Parenthood's actions related to the hurricane, STOPP is calling on all public officials in this country "to immediately turn off the spigot of tax dollars to Planned Parenthood" by cutting funding for it through Title X and Medicaid reimbursements.

"In the case of Planned Parenthood, the aftermath of Katrina has revealed the true nature of an organization that at its core is much more concerned with profit than health care," Sedlak concluded.

PeteLeo

Wow, this pan and scan tecnique is making my head swim.

Maybe I'm a "bush lover" to you guys, but I don't see myself in that light. I have issues with the man, just as I have had with every other politician I've ever encountered. I just find it difficult to stand idly by while furious -- and in the majority of cases unfounded and silly -- charges are slopped over the man while he works to cope with a natural disaster unprecedented in our modern history.

"Worst president ever!" Based on what, exactly? Anyone here familiar with a fella named Grant or one called Hoover?

"Economy of the verge of collapse!" The rest of the world wishes they could be so well off as to have little other to whine about than the price of gas (and I do my share of whining too, believe me).

"The thousands dead from Katrina are on his hands!" Only if you dismiss the complete and repulsive ineptitude of Blanco and Nagin and then rewrite legal protocol to make the President responsible for everything bad that ever occurs from the moment that it starts. Then you might have a case (but that's more than enough of one for the Dem/Libs, ain't it?).

Everybody, even Bill Clinton or Barney "I Had No Idea I Was Running a Brothel In My Basement" Frank deserves a fair hearing. You people who are screaming for Bush's blood without even pausing to decide if the moronic hogwash the blind Left is feeding you has any basis in fact are allowing emotion and unAmerican reactionism to co-opt your reason. Bush was no more responsible for the tragedy of Katrina than he was for the tsunami, and according to most legitimate public opinion polls, I'm a lot closer to the average joe's feelings in that belief than some grinning liar like Bill Maher.
    Gotta go to work now. PetLeo.

GorDoom

LAURA BUSH DISGUSTED BY CRITICISIM

Laura Bush Says Criticism of Husband 'Disgusting'

WASHINGTON (Sept. 9) - Laura Bush described as "disgusting" comments by rapper Kanye West and Democratic chairman Howard Dean blaming her husband for the disproportionate number of black hurricane victims.
    Krisanne Johnson, Getty Images
    Laura Bush, shown with Katrina victims on Sept. 2, responded forcefully to charges her husband doesn't care about black people. "I know what he's like and I know what he thinks and I know how he cares about people," she said.

"I think all of those remarks are disgusting, to be perfectly frank, because of course President Bush cares about everyone in our country," the first lady said Thursday in an interview with American Urban Radio Networks.

"And I know that. I mean, I'm the person who lives with him," she said. "I know what he's like and I know what he thinks and I know how he cares about people."

The president has faced sharp criticism over federal relief efforts for Hurricane Katrina victims, who are disproportionally black and poor.

On a nationally televised telethon Friday, broadcast live on NBC, West departed from the script to declare "George Bush doesn't care about black people."

Earlier this week, Dean, chairman of the Democratic National Committee, told the National Baptist Convention of America, a black religious group, that race played a role in the hurricane casualty numbers.

Mrs. Bush said it was clear that poor people were more vulnerable when the hurricane hit.

"They lived in poorer neighborhoods. Their neighborhoods were the ones that were more likely to flood, as we saw in New Orleans. Their housing was more vulnerable," she said.

"And that's what we saw, and that's what we want to address in our country."

Roberto Aqui

Inane

I don't understand why Reps and Dems don't realize they're just different sides to the same cheap worthless inane coin they've been minting and flipping for the public the past 15 or so years. Trying to talk sense to either group is like trying to talk to a communist or a mule. They live in their own worlds completely oblivious to the larger picture. I vote, but I sure don't put my faith in politics.

I'm thinking about this young Cajun I used to work with. He was young, covered in tattoos, cocky with reasonable intelligence, nothing special. He had a little girl out of wedlock and was struggling in a demanding job like many of his coworkers.

As the millennium approached, he asked me if I had made any preparations for shortages and upheavals. I told him, yeah, I've stockpiled some water and foodstuffs, maybe enough to survive for a month with careful rationing.

He sneered at me like I was a nutcase. Hey, I had a family to look after, and so did he, but he was so cocksure about what he really knew nothing about, that he wouldn't even consider planning in advance for a potential disaster that recieved worldwide publicity.

Well, I don't know if he still lives here, but if he does, he's got an apt full of relatives and friends evacuated from Louisiana. Maybe some died, yet I doubt he's ever considered his and their lack of preparation. Stuff happens. We can't plan for all of it, but we could for this hurricane.

I still have that water stored away. Some nutcase terrorist could detonate a suitcase nuke in the middle of downtown and I sure don't want to be one of those idiots robbing and looting in the anarchy that follows.

Dhalgren

Yet more evidence of Bush's incompetence.

Katrina: political row grows

· Relief officials accused of being political placemen
    · Colin Powell criticises US government response

David Fickling and agencies
    Friday September 9, 2005

The political row blown up by Hurricane Katrina was today growing as police officers in New Orleans prepared to make the first forcible removals of residents refusing to leave.
    Arguments about the conduct of the relief effort and preparations for the long-expected disaster focused on the Federal Emergency Management Agency, where several senior officials were accused of being political placemen and director Michael Brown was charged with having overstated his experience.

In Louisiana, governor Kathleen Blanco wrote to the US president, George Bush, to protest that requests to the federal government for radio equipment and generators had still not been met after a week of waiting.

Even the former secretary of state Colin Powell criticised the US government's response.
    "There was more than enough warning over time about the dangers to New Orleans," Mr Powell told ABC news. "Not enough was done. I don't think advantage was taken of the time that was available to us, and I just don't know why." He denied racism was to blame for foot-dragging.

Congress today approved a $52bn (£28bn) budget for additional emergency aid on top of $10.5bn already provided, and officials admitted the total bill was likely to exceed $100bn, but senior Democrats questioned whether the sum should be directed via Fema.

"After what we all have witnessed the past week or so, is there anyone in America who feels we should continue to rely exclusively on Fema to head the federal government's response to this tragedy?" the Senate minority leader, Harry Reid, asked.

The Washington Post reported that five of the top eight officials in Fema had no previous experience in disaster management - but they had extensive backgrounds within Republican politics when they were appointed to their posts by the Bush administration.

Time magazine claimed the official biography of Mr Brown - which stated that he had worked as an "assistant city manager with emergency services oversight" in the Edmond, Oklahoma - exaggerated his record.

Officials said he had been an assistant to the city manager, not assistant city manager. "The assistant is more like an intern," Time was told.

Democrat leaders in congress also threatened to boycott the selection process for a committee that Republican leaders plan to establish to investigate the government's response to the disaster.

GorDoom

A LAMENT FOR NEW ORLEANS' MUSICAL HERITAGE

A Lament For New Orleans' Music Heritage

Filmmaker and New Orleans native Michael Murphy spent the last few years taking cameras through his hometown's most hallowed musical sites, paying tribute to the place where jazz was born, the blues blossomed, zydeco took root and even rap found a new voice.

But as "Make It Funky" hits theaters this month, Murphy worries that instead of a tribute, the film may stand as an obituary.

"What has made my heart tear apart is that I would hate to think I made a film and the city is no longer there," Murphy said.

Nashville is the Music City. Chicago is world renowned for jazz and blues. New York is one of the world's premier artistic stages. Yet no city is as critical to so many musical genres as New Orleans, where the colorful and complex mix of people, from African to French and Creole to Cajun, has created an international music mecca.

Now, as authorities struggle to determine the extent of Hurricane Katrina's damage, the music community is pondering the future of the places -- and people, many of them poor -- who make up the Big Easy's creative soul.

B.B. King, a fixture for decades, perhaps inadvertently used the past tense as he discussed the tragedy. "New Orleans had a sound ... that no one has completely captured," he said in a telephone interview from Detroit.

"Obviously, New Orleans, from a musical standpoint, is the melting pot when we talk about America," Wynton Marsalis, whose family of musicians is synonymous with their native city, said from his home in New York.

It's where Louis Armstrong was born and where Jelly Roll Morton became a legend. Fats Domino, who was rescued by boat this week from his flooded home, pioneered rock 'n' roll. Randy Newman may love L.A., but he's from New Orleans, as evidenced by the famous "they're trying to wash us away" flooding chorus from "Louisiana 1927." Harry Connick Jr., Dr. John, Mahalia Jackson, Pete Fountain, Terence Blanchard and the Neville Brothers are just a few other talents the Big Easy has produced.

For more than a century, it's been a constant party, from Canal Street to the tiny dives only a native or true aficionado would know.

Mark Samuels, co-founder of Basin Street Records on Canal Street, home to artists such as Kermit Ruffins, Jason Marsalis and Theresa Anderson, talked about the vibrant scene -- how greats will pop into a clubs not to listen, but to perform with house acts. How you might catch a musical "battle" on any given night.

"Having lived in New York City and San Francisco and Austin and Atlanta, Georgia, New Orleans is at the absolute top of those cities to me," he said, "and I hope one day it will again be."

He talked about an insider's haunt called Vaughn's Lounge. "Kermit Ruffins played there every Thursday night that he was in town for the last 11 years or so, and everyone from Wynton Marsalis to Harry Connick Jr. to Chris Robinson of The Black Crowes would come."

These are the type of performances in Murphy's documentary, which will open in New York and Los Angeles on Sept. 9 (the date was planned before the hurricane) before being released on DVD.

Murphy, who fled his New Orleans home for his Los Angeles rental before the storm hit, is worried about the fate of landmarks such as Preservation Hall, the museum and performance venue that opened its doors in 1961.

"I woke up this morning extremely emotional about an area of town called Treme. Treme is the cradle of jazz within the cradle of jazz," he said. "Treme is that hallowed ground where Louie Armstrong ... and all the greats walked and played their music. It's right outside the French Quarter."

Master P, a native who helped fuel the Southern rise in rap, wasn't only concerned about physical places: "We don't know who we lost, we might have lost a lot of great new people for the future."

And for the present.

"So many of the great musicians of New Orleans and so many people of the cultural heart of the city were poor people," said Chuck Taggart, a native who produced last year's historical CD set "Doctors, Professors, Kings & Queens: The Great Big Ol' Box of New Orleans."

"How do you maintain the character of the city?" he asked. "How can you rebuild it?"

Samuels of Basin Records said most of his artists have the means to rebuild their lives. "There are a lot of people though, a lot of street performers in New Orleans ... who are going to be in absolute dire straits and don't know how to do it any other way."

But Marsalis, who is planning a Sept. 19 fund-raiser at Lincoln Center in New York, where he is artistic director of the jazz center, said the scene will survive.

"Our city is still alive. It's generations of us who are still here, and we'll get our city back together," he vowed.

GorDoom

FEMA CHIEF RELIEVED OF DUTIES

FEMA Chief Relieved of Hurricane Duties
    Questions Raised About Brown's Resume, Experience
    By LARA JAKES JORDAN, AP

Michael Brown's lack of experience raises questions about how rigorously the White House vetted him before he got top FEMA job.

WASHINGTON (Sept. 9) - Federal Emergency Management Agency Director Michael Brown is being relieved of his command of the Bush administration's Hurricane Katrina onsite relief efforts, Homeland Security Secretary Michael Chertoff announced Friday.

He will be replaced by Coast Guard Vice Adm. Thad W. Allen, who was overseeing New Orleans relief and rescue efforts, Chertoff said.

Earlier, Brown confirmed the switch. Asked if he was being made a scapegoat for a federal relief effort that has drawn widespread and sharp criticism, Brown told The Associated Press after a long pause: "By the press, yes. By the president, No."

"Michael Brown has done everything he possibly could to coordinate the federal response to this unprecedented challenge," Chertoff told reporters in Baton Rouge, La. Chertoff sidestepped a question on whether the move was the first step toward Brown's leaving FEMA.

But a source close to Brown, speaking on condition of anonymity, said the FEMA director had been considering leaving after the hurricane season ended in November and that Friday's action virtually assures his departure.

Brown has been under fire because of the administration's slow response to the magnitude of the hurricane. On Thursday, questions were raised about whether he padded his resume to exaggerate his previous emergency management background.

Less than an hour before Brown's removal came to light, White House press secretary Scott McClellan said Brown had not resigned and the president had not asked for his resignation.

Chertoff suggested the shift came as the Gulf Coast efforts were entering "a new phase of the recovery operation." He said Brown would return to Washington to oversee the government's response to other potential disasters.

"I appreciate his work, as does everybody here," Chertoff said.

"I'm anxious to get back to D.C. to correct all the inaccuracies and lies that are being said," Brown said in a telephone interview with The Associated Press.

Asked if the move was a demotion, Brown said: "No. No. I'm still the director of FEMA."

He said Chertoff made the decision to move him out of Louisiana. It was not his own decision, Brown said.

"I'm going to go home and walk my dog and hug my wife and, maybe get a good Mexican meal and a stiff margarita and a full night's sleep. And then I'm going to go right back to FEMA and continue to do all I can to help these victims," Brown said. "This story's not about me. This story's about the worst disaster of the history of our country that stretched every government to its limit and now we have to help these victims."

Amid escalating calls for Brown's ouster, the White House had insisted publicly for days that Bush retained confidence in his FEMA chief. But there was no question that Brown's star was fading in the administration. In the storm's early days, Brown was the president's primary briefer on its path and the response effort, but by the weekend those duties had been taken over by Brown's boss - Homeland Security Secretary Michael Chertoff.

Also, while Brown was very visibly by the president's side during Bush's first on-the-ground visit to the hurricane zone last week, he remained behind the scenes - with Chertoff out front.

Even before Chertoff's announcement, the beleaguered Brown was facing questions Friday about his resume.

A 2001 press release on the White House Web site says Brown worked for the city of Edmond, Okla., from 1975 to 1978 "overseeing emergency services divisions."

Brown's official biography on the FEMA Web site says that his background in state and local government also includes serving as "an assistant city manager with emergency services oversight" and as a city councilman.

But a former mayor of Edmond, Randel Shadid, told The Associated Press on Friday that Brown had been an assistant to the city manager. Shadid said Brown was never assistant city manager.

"I think there's a difference between the two positions," said Shadid. "I would think that is a discrepancy."

Asked later about the White House news release that said Brown oversaw Edmond's emergency services divisions, Shadid said, "I don't think that's a total stretch."

Time magazine first reported the discrepancy.

Separately, Newsday reported another discrepancy regarding Brown's background. The official White House announcement of Brown's nomination to head FEMA in January 2003 lists his previous experience as "the Executive Director of the Independent Electrical Contractors," a trade group based in Alexandria, Va.

Two officials of the group told Newsday this week that Brown never was the national head of the group but did serve as the executive director of a regional chapter, based in Colorado.

A longtime acquaintance, Carl Reherman, said Brown was very involved in helping set up an emergency operations center in Edmond and assisting in the creation of an emergency contingency plan in the 1970s. At the time, Reherman was a city councilman, and later became mayor.

"From my experience with Mike, he not only worked very hard on everything he did, he had very high standards," said Reherman, who also knew Brown when he was a student taking classes from Reherman, who was a professor of political science at Central State University.

Nicol Andrews, deputy strategic director in FEMA's office of public affairs, told Time that while Brown began as an intern, he became an "assistant city manager" with a distinguished record of service.

"According to Mike Brown," Andrews told Time, a large portion of points raised by the magazine are "very inaccurate."

Associated Press writers Ron Fournier, Pete Yost and Ted Bridis in Washington and Richard Green in Oklahoma City contributed to this story.

kikibalt

Re: FEMA CHIEF RELIEVED OF DUTIES

It's about time

Frank B.

kikibalt

BDeskins

Brown needed to be fired, but I guess that in Bush's mind that would be completely unethical to fire such a close buddy, hell, just because someone cannot do their job shouldn't be means to fire someone...should it? So what does Bush do...brings Brown back to Washington to wait for something else to show his incompetence in!

Any one catch Bill Maher tonight? It was classic with a good panel, George Carlin, some lady democrat and some male republican...Maher is very liberal, but unlike most conservative talk shows, he does give the other side an opportunity to respond...people like Rush Limbaugh never had the guts, or the smarts to ever do anything like that! I have to say, the republican and his responses did not surprise me, but it was just further evidence of how the republican political mind thinks. I certainly don't have to defend my beliefs, or my side of the political beast any more, too bad the republicans cannot say the same...they'll be defending until they are all run out of office, which should not be too far off!

PeteLeo

Soon?

Yeah, the Repubs have done so freaking bad at the polls during the last . . . quarter of century, is it? Wasn't that the end of the Carter regime (and what a glorious four years that was, huh?)? If I were in your shoes, I wouldn't hold my breath until "the Republicans are run out of office." But then, I'm just a "dumbass," of course.

By golly, I missed Comrade Bill's show tonight. I was engaged in something a little more . . . open-minded, shall we say, something with slightly more diversity of thought than the average Bill Maher pogram? Attending one of Mao's re-education camps. But I see by your report that Bill is upholding the delightful Dem/Lib ratio of two dyed-in-the-pink celebs and a Dem hitwoman versus one speaker from the "other side of the aisle." Ah, the Dem/Lib idea of "fair and balanced." Don't you just love it?
    PeteLeo (just yanking your chain a little).

GorDoom
    Pete:

I'll ask again ... Tell me ONE good -not even great - accomplishment this administration has come up with in the almost 5 years it's been in office.

Just one ...

& Btw: Carter was TWENTY FIVE YEARS AGO ... a quarter of a century ago & you're still bitchin' about him?

Gimme a break ...

& also, "Comrade Bill"? Isn't that just a little over the top? Nobody has referred to Bush as "Nazi George" which also would be WAY outta line.

Get a grip, man.

GorDoom

BDeskins
    Good question Gor, what one good accomplishment has this administration accomplished, really...several tax cuts for people that don't need it...or perhaps lying to the American people to gain favor for a bogus war, the way that the republicans never use tragedy for personal gain...and to think republicans want to whine and cry about about Clinton lying about getting a blow job, at least 1000s of Americans did not die from Clinton's lies...too bad the republicans cannot say the same about Bush's lies!

As to calling you a dumbass again, you said it, I didn't, but it seems to be embedded in your psyche! By the way, does Bill O'Reilly ever have an equal panel of democrats and republicans on his show, or for that matter does any other republican talk show...I would honestly like to know, because I sure as hell don't watch fantasy television, but I'd like to know how fair the republican media is when arguing on their shows...so what is?

PeteLeo
    Stopping the rapidly expanding monster of international terrorism outside our shores since 9/11 would seem to qualify as one hell of a positive result from the Bush administration, in addition to dragging us up and out of the Clinton Recession. But I'm sure the Dem/Libs will deny that either event ever occurred or that Bush had anything to do with them if they did (it was probably the Gore-Kerry Foreign Policy Plan).

Neville Chamberlain had the best of intentions, I'm sure, and he probably did save many British lives by dropping trow and bending over for Hitler . . . for awhile. We saw how that turned out a bit later on, though, didn't we? It's never trivial or easy to discuss the loss of human lives (and I think that it's a bit disingenuous and cynical of the antis to use the sacrifices of those who've died in the protection of their country to try to gain political brownie points), but that is part of the existence of a soldier, gentlemen. We maintain an army for protection, and stopping the madmen who were flying aircraft into our buildings and killing thousands of civilians took some of those sacrifices. "How long can we continue to use World War Two as an excuse for our miitary actions?" whined Phil Donahue (and most every other Dem/Lib of his ilk since then). As long as the threat to our safety and the freedoms this country stands for exists, military action will be necessary. Soldiers fight, and some soldiers die in those fights. I thank them for their courage and resolve. Closing your eyes and hoping the madmen don't come at us again just doesn't work, because evil only grows stronger in the face of acquiescence.

I hardly ever watch O'Reilly (maybe a couple of times a month, though I do occasionally tune in the last five minutes for the "Most Ridiculous Item of the Day" and viewer feedback -- they're fun), but when I do, he almost always has representatives from both sides of whatever questions are under discussion! Come on, BD, think before you post! O'Reilly and Hannity/Colmes are textbook illustrations of presenting different points of view. Have you ever watched these programs, or do you follow the usual Dem/Lib path of criticizing them simply because they're on Fox instead of the entrenched, decadent, slowly decaying away at the innards Liberal monoliths that have comprised "the broadcast media" for so many decades? Now, O'Reilly (and Hannity and -- yes, indeedy -- Colmes) isn't shy about presenting his take on the topic, but the guests are always allowed the time to air even the most extraordinarily out of touch with reality views, Lib or Con(servative). Whereas, if Maher's current HBO incarnation is anything like his Comedy Central-cum-ABC stint, the lone Con must literally have to do circus tricks to distract Bill and his favored Lib guests from their mutual ass-kissing long enough to make any sort of a point. Sorry, but you dropped it at mid-field with that incautious statement, fella.

GorDoom, when the very best thing that the average poster on this "non-political" thread can say about Mr. Bush is to call him "liar" (with no specific examples of these "lies," naturally), I doubt that a good-natured dubbing of Bill Maher as "Comrade" is too insulting to the guy. He might even enjoy it.
    PeteLeo.

BDeskins
    >>>>Stopping the rapidly expanding monster of international terrorism outside our shores since 9/11 would seem to qualify as one hell of a positive result from the Bush administration, in addition to dragging us up and out of the Clinton Recession.<<<

BAAAAAAHAAAAAHAAAAAHAAAAAHAAAAHAAAAHAAAA!

Closed Thread
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast