The Cyber Boxing Zone Message Board
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: Pavlik-Hopkins Results & Discussion 10/18/'08

vCash

Pavlik - Hopkins Pre-Fight Discussion & Predictions

PAVLIK - HOPKINS IS ON!!!

By Marc Abrams

According to Dan Rafael of espn.com, World Middleweight champion Kelly Pavlik will take on former two-divison champ Bernard Hopkins on October 18th in Atlantic City.

Pavlik settled on Hopkins after fights with Joe Calzaghe, Winky Wright, Paul Williams, Marco Antonio Rubio, John Duddy & Randy Griffin did not materialize for various reasons.

Pavlik, 34-0 with thirty knockouts is coming off a fourth round destruction over Gary Lockett in the same Boardwalk Hall venue for which the fight will Hopkins will take place.

Hopkins, 48-5-1 with thirty-two knockouts is coming off a split decision loss to Calzaghe on April 19th in Las Vegas. Hopkins made history the last time he fought in Boardwalk Hall when he scored a unanimous decision over then light heavyweight champion Antonio Tarver.

With Pavlik's rabid fan base and Hopkins close proximately to Atlantic City it is safe to say that Boardwalk Hall will be rocking on October 18th.

The bout will be contested at 170 lbs.

HBO Pay-Per-View will televise

Administrator
    vCash

Re: Pavlik - Hopkins Is On!!!

All I have to say is wow. BHop could end up on his ass here.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by diggity
    All I have to say is wow. BHop could end up on his ass here.

I hope he does....

vCash

I note Arthur Abraham isn't on that list of prospective opponents.

That's the fight I want to see.

Administrator
    vCash

It will be a good measuring stick to see whether Pavlik belongs in the same ring as Calzaghe...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/boxing/7511028.stm

vCash

That does interest me.

vCash

Kelly Pavlik-Bernard Hopkins: Another Blight on the Fall?

By Cliff Rold

As reported today at BoxingScene and Maxboxing, it appears discussions are taking place for a showdown between 26-year old World Middleweight champion Kelly Pavlik (34-0, 30 KO) and 43-year old former World Middleweight champions Bernard Hopkins (48-5-1, 32 KO) on October 18th. Rather than the confines of 160 lbs. where each made their name, this one looks to be headed for a catchweight of 170 lbs., just underneath the Light Heavyweight limit where Hopkins has plied his trade for the last couple years.

The names involved will certainly pique curiosity amongst the hardcore faithful.

It’s too bad that once those names are Michael Buffer-ed at mid ring this fall, the fight could head quickly towards the peak of disaster.

The disaster would come in the form of putting the game’s most promising American draw into an almost no-win situation. It’s only almost because in the best-case scenario, the younger Pavlik storms Hopkins, stopping him in spectacular fashion and moving Boxing past at least one of its too many old names.

Best-case, in this case, is not necessarily plausible.

No, what is plausible is the following: a decision win or loss in a fight that gets Hopkinized. What is ‘Hopkinized’ loyal readers might ask? Well, go back and watch almost every Bernard Hopkins fight since he beat Felix Trinidad in 2001 and there’s the answer. Win or lose, Hopkins specialty as he has aged is taking the fighting out of his fights. His keen defensive intellect allows him to muddy fights. It always has. But unlike his peak years which featured solid punch output, Hopkins now throws in rare spurts while taking the ability away from his foes to land big shots. What results is too often tedious and rarely fun to observe.

So there’s the risk of low entertainment right off the bat. That’s before getting to the distribution.

This fight is so far slated for pay-per-view, taking Pavlik away from the widest possible audience for the second of what one presumes will now be his three 2008 appearances. His first fight of the year, a pay-per-view non-title rematch with Jermain Taylor in February, did a tepid buy rate. His second fight, on HBO, did less than awe inspiring ratings for a mandatory against a no-hope Gary Lockett who played the part of such billing. Now he finishes against a Hall of Fame name that has never been a massive draw.

Compare that to the relatively strong ratings Pavlik’s win over Taylor in their first fight did and a dilemma presents itself. Pavlik entered 2008 with momentum and the chance to grow his audience. Assuming he beats Hopkins, Pavlik’s two biggest wins will have been fought in front of your standard hardcore base of pay-tv buyers. If the second of those costly shows devolves into the plausible, Pavlik could end the year without having added a single fan to those who saw his great 2007 run and with the chance to have lost some of the new eyes he picked up last year via absence from their sight.

Read the Rest at: http://www.boxingscene.com/?m=show&id=14999

vCash

Abraham and Hopkins would be Pavlik's biggest nightmares. Neither one of those fighters will fold like Taylor, and both are much cagier than Taylor ever was.

vCash

But is that a case of being a nightmare for Pavlik or an opportunity to show what he's really capable of? Hopkins is cagier than Guantanamo Bay, but he isn't 12 rounds of fury and high pace, nor does he have the hand speed Taylor troubled him with at times. Pavlik would do well to apply apply a consistent pressure and not try and outthink the old master as that would play into Hopkins' hand.

Abraham is anaother story, which is why I'm REALLY keen to see that one!
    Last edited by doomeddisciple; 07-18-2008 at 12:53 AM.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by doomeddisciple
    But is that a case of being a nightmare for Pavlik or an opportunity to show what he's really capable of? Hopkins is cagier than Guantanamo Bay, but he isn't 12 rounds of fury and high pace, nor does he have the hand speed Taylor troubled him with at times. Pavlik would do well to apply apply a consistent pressure and not try and outthink the old master as that would play into Hopkins' hand.

Abraham is anaother story, which is why I'm REALLY keen to see that one!
    Doom,

I'm with ya man, would love to see Abraham/Pavlik.

vCash

OK mate, I got a 46" Sony LCD and Sony sound system to beef up the sound - Time for a CBZ Forum barbie (BBQ) at my place.

You're all invited round to my place to watch the fight, I'll put a nice Aussie BBQ with some PRAWNS (Aussies call shrimp prawns) on the barbie for you to help you get over your 18 hour flights to Canberra.

There will also be a large tub of various better Aussie beers awaiting you all.

10-8, I got plenty of guitars you won't need one.

Now the kicker - My address -

18 Guginya Crescent, Ngunnawal Canberra Australia. You're all invited.

vCash

I'm not even going to think this one out, truth is Boxing disgusts me, just go in there and Knock the _ucker OUT and for good!!!

vCash

I see this being a stoppage win for the swarming Pavlik, and abad health choice for B-Hop at this stage of life. He so obviously hit the wall around the 8th against Calzaghe, and Pavlik will be hitting him harder than that.

I echo the urge for Pavlik/Abraham. Obviously Team Pavlik think hes too dangerous for their cash cow, and Abraham is clearly happy to continue in his parallel universe of IBF defences.

vCash

hopkins obviously thinks he has enough in the tank to stink out one more fight for the fans. thanks
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

vCash

Paradox: Bernard Hopkins, who has almost never been in a good, crowd-pleasing fight, has somehow become the big-$$$$ fight for every marquee fighter between welter and light-heavy.

Discuss among yourselves.

Banned
    vCash

Hopkins has been dull in recent years

But it baffles me that it keeps being suggested that this has ALWAYS been the case.

Well, we live in a "what have you done for me lately" type of world.

I do think this will be a nice barometer for Pavlik though.

As dangerous as this could prove to be for Bernard, I think the same is true for Kelly. Can he afford to look bad agianst an aged, past his prime great in Hopkins while on such a hot streak?

I think it's risky both ways.

During the NBA playoffs this year, Charles Barkley said in the TNT studios about the San Antoinio Spurs: "These Damn Cockroaches just won't go away!" I think when Hopkins Pavlik is done, many here might be saying the same thing about Bernard.

If they haven't already.

Hawk
    Last edited by hawk5ins; 07-18-2008 at 07:16 PM.

vCash

Ok,

Early prediction:

I believe B-Hop took this fight believing Pavlik's somewhat predictable style will create counterpunching opportunities for him, and he's right, however does anybody on this board really think he can knock out Kelly?
    Problem for Hop's is that Pavlik is young, very strong and has a good chin.
    B-Hop does not eat a lot of clean straight rights from anyone, but can he stay out of harm's way and handle 12 rounds of pressure from someone who hits harder then maybe anybody he has faced yet with such an edge in youth?
    I do not see anybody knocking B-Hop out, but constant pressure from Kelly,
    age and pride will make B-Hop find an injury excuse to opt out around the 10th or 11th round, (While still claiming he was winning the fight).

Or a boring 12rd UD for Kelly

Just my take

Administrator
    vCash

Once BHop gets even a taste of that power, he will be happy to throw 4 punches a round just to stay out of danger. I'm sure the added weight will only let Kelly take shots better. I can't see BHop hurting Kelly enough to mount any real hurt, maybe a flash KD at best.

vCash

Pavlik/Hopkins ... any thoughts ???

Will Bernard frustrate another fighter and the fans one more time or has he finally over reached and on his way to a ko loss ?

vCash

Re: Pavlik - Hopkins Pre-Fight Discussion & Predictions

I don't see Hopkins ever getting kayoed, too slick, too good defensively, too good at seeing and rolling with the shots, and too strong of a chin, also with Kelly's telegraphed shots, he should be able to figure that out pretty quickly and stink it out, not enough to win, but enough from taking any serious damage on the way to getting outworked by a very strong, hungry young fighter,

Kelly needs to stick to the old mans body, and just throw a lot of hard punches to Hopkins, arms, chest, wherever he can hit him, interesting fight though, Hopkins is tough and cagey

vCash

Is this another white boy who can't beat Hopkins?
    Last edited by mrbig1; 09-21-2008 at 12:44 AM.

vCash

Has Hopkins become a "gatekeeper"?

vCash

bhop will quit
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------

vCash

He's trying to squeeze out every last dime of value his name still holds.

vCash

Hops makes everyone look ordinary or like trash. He'll do the same to Pavlik. And he might also win.

vCash

Believe it or not, but I'm still not sold on Pavlik. He is so wide open. Hop may score a KO or lose by UD. I'm just not sure if Hop is the one to show the world that Pav is just a big puncher and nothing more.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by mrbig1
    Believe it or not, but I'm still not sold on Pavlik. He is so wide open. Hop may score a KO or lose by UD. I'm just not sure if Hop is the one to show the world that Pav is just a big puncher and nothing more.
    "Wide open" and "Big puncher, nothing more...."

You could describe Rocky Marciano and George Foreman like this as well. Doesn't mean said fighter won't be successful and have a nice, long winning career.

vCash

At near-44 Pavlik could force the age out of Hops in a mere few rounds. Heck, at near-44, Hops could show up just a shadow of what he was for Calzaghe. It happens and can happen to a guy that old in this sport.

In a roughshod example, Calzaghe may have been to Hops what Charles was to Louis. In this match-up with Pavlik, Kelly may be playing Marciano and we all know what happened to Louis suddenly in that one.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Surf-Bat
    "Wide open" and "Big puncher, nothing more...."

You could describe Rocky Marciano and George Foreman like this as well. Doesn't mean said fighter won't be successful and have a nice, long winning career.
    Yes, but those two had granite chins. Pavlik's chin is good, hardly granite; and the right shot and follow up could see him in trouble. it's hard to get away from the image of Pavlik in a bad way from Taylor's assaults in RD 2 of fight 1!

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by walshb
    Yes, but those two had granite chins. Pavlik's chin is good, hardly granite; and the right shot and follow up could see him in trouble. it's hard to get away from the image of Pavlik in a bad way from Taylor's assaults in RD 2 of fight 1!
    True. Though I would disagree with you regarding Foreman's chin being "granite". It's hard for ME to shake the image of him being bounced all over the ring by Ron Lyle

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast