Home News Current Champs WAIL! Encyclopedia
The Cyber Boxing Zone Message Board
Closed Thread
Page 5 of 17 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: Close Up and Personal: Faces in the Crowd

Juan C Ayllon

The Long Road Back to Fitness

Hey,

I'm back in training, enlisting the services of David "The Weezel" Estrada once a week, then train on my own during the rest of the week. When I'm on my own, David calls me up to make sure I'm training.

These shots was taken today while walking/jogging down my street, which is hilly and quite the challenge for someone trying to get back in shape.

It's almost exactly 1/2 mile from my house to the end of the street, where it dead ends into a major street. So, I walk/jog from my house to the street and back again twice, making it a grand total of two miles.

Me, upclose, jogging

Partway down the street with a fresh layer of snow

This is where my street ends

A snowplow truck I encountered as I rounded back towards my house at the end of my street

Check out the link:

Juan C. Ayllon now training with David Estrada

Oh well, one day at a time, eh?

Regards,

Juan C. Ayllon

Juan C Ayllon

At Cabs Last Night...

Here I am last night at Cabs Wine Bar Bistro (left) with my friend, Scott, and his wife, Kerry. We were eating a tasty seafood dish called boulliabaise. Yum!

We were there to see Zora Young play with some other talented musicians. I'll try to put up more pics when I get the chance.

Regards,

Juan C. Ayllon

kikibalt

Re: At Cabs Last Night...

Nice pictures Juan, but how the heck can you live in that cold country after living in Southern California. and on top of that not eating at In-And-Out Burgers, i think i'll go there today an eat me a burger

Frank

jyoungfan2

an ice sculpter of a heart I made for valentines day for my wife.

jyoungfan2

Juan C Ayllon

Enjoy 'In & Out Burger!'

Hey Frank,

Sometimes I ask myself the same question.

However, I've got family, friends, church, and a nice house on a lake that I couldn't even touch out in California. From what I understand, prices out there have gone up obscenely in the last several years.

By the way, now I'm into my second week of training and I'm trying harder to watch that diet. So, enjoy the "In and Out Burger" to your heart's content! I'm training and watching the food more carefully, now.

Speaking of the devil, David Estrada called to check if I've done my running today!

By the way, jyoungfan2, your pics didn't turn out. Can you re-post them?

Have a great night, both of you!

Regards,

Juan

Juan C Ayllon

A Piece that Got Me Fired Up!

Hey,

In response to some inappropriate things Ricardo Mayorga said in the public forum leading up to his match with Oscar De La Hoya, I wrote the following piece:

A Reaction Piece to Mayorga

Enjoy,

Juan C. Ayllon

vCash

A Trip to the Green Mill in Chicago

Hey,

This Saturday, I went to the Green Mill in Chicago just north of Lawrence on Broadway in the Uptown neighborhood to listen to jazz with a friend. Supposedly, it was a favorite hangout of the infamous Mafia gangster, Al Capone.

It was a lot of fun. With standing room only, for the most part, it was excellent music. That night, a Latin jazz band played.

Here are some photos I shot with my cellphone camera:

Afterwards, I shot this photo of a building I just love at the southeast corner of Broadway and Lawrence for its uniquely angled structure:

Then, my friend and I walked up the street to a Vietnamese restaurant, where our waiter shot this photo with my friend:

Needless to say, it was nice to get out and have some cultural fun in the "Windy City."

Cheers,

Juan C. Ayllon

vCash

Pics at the Fights on March 17th!

Hey,

I just turned 45 on March 15th. Here are some pics two days later at the "March Madness" show at the Aragon Ballroom with Dr. Vitaliy Kopytko, a Chicago based super middleweight:

And, here I am, jogging three miles earlier this evening along a frontage road:

Woo-hoo! I'm slowly, but surely getting back in shape...
    Last edited by Juan C Ayllon; 03-23-2006 at 01:18 AM.

vCash

Re: Close Up and Personal: Faces in the Crowd

Happy B-Day to you Juan
    Last edited by kikibalt; 03-25-2006 at 10:43 AM.

vCash

Happy B-Day to you Juan

vCash

First a Birthday, Now Orbert Davis!

Hi Frank,

Thanks a lot! I hope things are going better for you this week, following your operation.

I think it's going to be a wonderful year for both of us!

I took a cool friend out yesterday night for Middle Eastern, then we went to Uptown Chicago where we caught one of the best--if not the best--trumpet player in Chicago, Orbert Davis at the famous Green Mill.

The place was packed, but my friend, Bethany kept saying that she was confident that we'd get a seat. Wouldn't you know, we ended up at a table directly in front of Orbert Davis?

Orbert Davis (left)

Wow.

Here are some pictures that I embedded in a tongue and cheek piece:

Orbert Davis Quintet at the Green Mill

Cheers,

Juan

vCash

Out with My Bud, Bethany...

Hey,

I just got back from catching a little Lou Malnatti's pizza and a movie with my bud, Bethany. We had a good time.

Interestingly enough, my friend, Ben Torres, called me while we were in the movies and I had forgotten to turn off my cell phone. I answered and told him I couldn't talk because we were at the movies.

Later, on the ride home, Bethany reminded me about the call, as she knew that I knew it probably was about the Zab Judah-Floyd Mayweather bout, which I was curious to find out more about.

So, I called and Ben filled me in. Sounded great. Then he asked me what movie I saw and I said it was about cigarettes and Bethany chirped in when I asked her. Ben said, "Are you on a date?"

I said, "Yes."

"With a girl?" Ben asked.

I laughed and said yes, so Ben said, "That's cool, bro. I'll let you go," or words to that effect.

Bethany's a really cool person and definitely prettier than this photo suggests. We're taking it easy, having fun and getting to know each other slowly.

If nothing else, I've got a very cool friend and sister in the faith in her.

Cheers,

Juan

vCash

Recent Photo I posted on Mayweather-Judah

Hey,

I thought you might enjoy this photo by Mariane Iamele which I modified in Microsoft Photo Editor. I kinda like its sense of movement:

Here's the story it went with:

A Foul Stench in the Desert

Regards,

Juan C. Ayllon

vCash

Holy moly! What a strange evening. It was fun, blissful even, then sad, and tragic.

I just got in from a fun and eventful date with Bethany. We had dinner at Maggiano's, an Italian place in Schaumburg, then stopped at my brother's restaurant for a couple drinks and a visit with my brother, his wife, and some patrons. That was a lot of fun!

Up till now, I hadn't kissed Bethany, but that changed quickly when she leaned into me and planted a kiss on my lips. Needless to say, it was very nice and we kissed quite a bit more after that.

Whew! One day at a time...

After kissing her goodbye, I drove home and gradually, it dawned on me that I hadn't heard anything from Dr. Stoxen, who's Andrei Arlovski's chiropractor and he ALWAYS calls or text messages me after Arlovski's fights. I sensed then that he lost his UFC Heavyweight Title match.

Sure enough, when I checked Fightnews.com, I saw that he'd been kayoed in the first round.

Nuts! I was pulling for Arlovski, as he's a nice guy and I'd interviewed him several times.

Oh well, life goes on.

And then I read about Rocky A's sudden loss of his wife. I cannot even imagine going through that.

My heart aches for him. Please, say a prayer for Rocky (see Modern Section).

Regards,

Juan C. Ayllon
    Last edited by Juan C Ayllon; 08-19-2006 at 01:56 PM.

vCash

Condolensces for Rocky Alkazof's Wife's Passing Link

Here's a link to Rocky Alkazof's condolensces section:

Link

Regards,

Juan C. Ayllon

vCash

Some Fun Pics on the Back Deck...

Hey,

While goofing off on the back deck with my new, but inexpensive digital camera, I shot the following sequence of photos of my weimeraner, Zoe, and a bottle of red wine on the table, which I thought were funny.

vCash

Zoe

vCash

Hi Juan

Nice pics, an have fun with your new camera.

Frank

vCash

Hi Frank,

Thank you! I appreciate it.

It's fun playing around with images on my cameras.

Enjoy the weekend,

Juan

Roberto Aqui

Re: Zoe

Quote Originally Posted by Juan C Ayllon
    I shot the following sequence of photos of my weimeraner, Zoe,
    A few years back I had a very strange dream about a pair of weimeraners. I woke up on a Satarday morn, and in a productive moment drafted the outline of a never to be remembered play with them. Such are the vaguaries of my creativity.

vCash

Interesting...Funky Retro Chair

Wow, Robert, I sure would love to see that story. It sounds fascinating. I get the hunch that it would be a good time to sit down over a glass or two of red wine at my brother's restaurant and chat sometime. Let me know if you're ever in Chicago.

By the way, I found this funky, retro chair at an estate sale on the way home from church today, which I picked up for five dollars. I think it's a hoot and will go along with the eclectic, modernistic bent decor of the room, as well as the terra cotta colored recliner from Ikia situated on the other side of the space.

Okay, so I get excited about funny things...

Cheers,

Juan

vCash

By the way, Ben Torres sent me the following message when I sent him the photos of Zoe behind the bottle and glass of shiraz:

Well, we know what YOU DO in your spare time. The pictures seem like a cry for help really. The label on the wine bottle is crystal clear as opposed to Zoe's blurry rear end. But the wine bottle is in great focus though.
    Juan ... we will pray for you!

Concerned Friend Ben

Please see link below for more insight.
    http://www.alcoholics-anonymous.org

Again ... we will pray.

Roberto Aqui

Well, even Jesus enjoyed his fruit of the vine in a glass, in fact, increasing local supply with a miraculous transformation of water.

I don't usually drink wine because of the sulfites they use for preservatives. My beer is all natural and also goes well with meals. When they make natural wine as readily available at reasonable prices, I could easily enjoy more wine, but in the meantime I think I will eschew any pics of my beer!

Roberto Aqui

double post!

vCash

Hey,

I drafted this piece up over a couple free periods yesterday and today as an a typewritten assignment for my students. I thought you might find it interesting.

Once Upon a Party of My Father's

By Juan C. Ayllon

He was a disciplined man. My father was a chemical engineer who worked for a petrochemical company known for its toughness. Working in the marketing division, he often traveled to his territory in South America for weeks and even months at a time, where he negotiated contracts to build refineries and sold patented petrochemical processes with various heads of state.

Life at home wasn’t easy, as he often brought tensions from work home and was very demanding on his wife and children. Life could be difficult and even chaotic when he lost his temper. However, he provided a roof over our heads and all the trappings of a middle class existence in the Northwest Suburbs of Chicago.

And then, there were his parties. Periodically, my father would invite high-ranking officials from governments and private companies in South America and entertain them at our home. Clad in business suits, they were generally in a festive mood. They drank, noshed on snacks, laughed a lot, and mixed freely with work acquaintances and other Latin friends, my parents and even my brothers and I. Generally, upbeat Bolivian, Peruvian and other South American music, along with some occasional Harry Belafonte Calypso music, bellowed from my father’s home built Heathkit high fidelity stereo. As the night wore on, there was dancing and more laughter. Generally dignified, these officials were typically in their 40’s and 50’s.

However, at one such party, I was startled to find that a guest had brought a popular Top 40 Rod Stewart album along. It was the late 70’s and Stewart had a hit disco song at the time entitled, “If You Think I’m Sexy.” The owner of the album insisted that my father put the record on, which he did.

It was the darnedest thing! Here, this officious looking, graying man in a business suit bobbed his head and said in a thick, Spanish accent, “I really like this song. It’s very cool, don’t you think?”

Shaking my head somewhat incredulously, I said, “Yes, it is.” Truly, it was.
    His partner, also 50-something, agreed.

It was an odd departure from the usual party fare and I found myself shortly bobbing my head in unison with these older men. They were actually pretty hip, in their own stilted way.

My father, who really didn’t care for the music, nevertheless played along. In fact, as I recall, he smiled and made some joke in Spanish that made them laugh. He was very good at charming people.

Intuitively, I savored the image. So serious and stern most of the time, it was a pleasure to see my father really relax and enjoy himself. He had a wonderfully disarming smile. Sometimes, I wondered why he couldn't be more like that more often.

Next to the bowls of left-over peanuts, potato chips and other delicious snacks the next day, I think I liked that the most about my father’s parties.

Last edited by Juan C Ayllon; 05-25-2006 at 03:01 PM.

vCash

East Meets West...

Last week, I met up with a good friend of mine, Scott, who has a pair of paintings--a diptyche--entitled "East Meets West." I painted this in 1994 and gave it to him shortly thereafter. I had all but forgotten it until I spotted it hanging in Scott's garage.

The subjects are, from left to right, Stan Getz, Gary Burton and Hiram Bullock.

Anyways, it was nice to see that old piece. Sorry for the poor pics with my cell phone camera!

Regards,

Juan C. Ayllon

vCash

NLU Writers Week Workshops in Chicago!

Hey,

This last week, I've been driving to downtown Chicago in the evenings to attend Writer's Week Workshops at National Louis University. It's been very helpful, interesting, and a lot of fun.

Kicking off the week was Robert Kurson, who spoke on popular nonfiction. He wote an excellent book entitled, Shadow Divers, and does a lot of freelance work for publications like Esquire and The Atlantic.

Robert Kurson

Tuesday, Rick Perlstein, who wrote Nixonland and Before the Storm: Bary Goldwater adnthe Unmaking of the American Consensus, spoke on biography.

Wednesday, Tim Kazurinksky, who wrote and acted in Saturday Night Live--as well as acted in Police Academy I and II--and has since done a lot of screenwriting for movies such as "About Last Night," and others, spoke on Comedy writing. He featured hillarious clips from his SNL days and made us laugh when he made funny suggestions on pieces we wrote and handed in.

Tim Kazurinksy

Last night, a wonderful poet and presenter named Bill Buczinsky, did a terrific job of incorporating movement, humor and even music to get us engaged in creative activities and putting together poetry. He insisted that EVERYONE had poetry in them. Judging from his methods, I'm inclined to believe that, on some level, he's definitely right.

Bill Buczinsky

Today's off and I'll be attending tomorrow's morning session to wrap up.

What's great is this is my first credit towards a Masters in Writing program I'm just starting on. What a fun start!

Cheers,

Juan C. Ayllon
    Last edited by Juan C Ayllon; 06-23-2006 at 02:19 PM.

vCash

A Couple Shots on Michigan Avenue

By the way, when I left classes at night, there were these two giant monoliths at either end of this wading pool area in Millenium park that were lit up with changing images of faces and cascaded and periodically spurted water on delighted waders from the mouth area of a giant facial image. See below:

Situated near the entrance/exit to the Monroe Street underground parking lot where my van was parked was the Park Grill, where people drank, dined and chatted leisurely even after 10 PM at night.

Maybe it's just me, but there was something very magical, and universally summery, about the ambiance there, right off Michigan Avenue.

Cheers,

Juan C. Ayllon

vCash

SNL Skit Rewrite Exercise

Here's an exercise Tim Kazurinsky had us do at his workshop at NLU. We had to rewrite someone else's idea for a skit to be performed at Saturday Night Live.

The one I critiqued and rewrote consisted of a world championships "Rock-Paper-Scissors" championship, more specifically, a televised, pre-fight interview.

Warning: This is a bit on the crass side.

Here's how my re-write went:

Characters:

MERLE HACKETT: The first finalist, an auto mechanic from Visalia, California.

KENDALL METZGER: the second finalist who works as a self-employed accountant from Round Lake Beach, Illinois.

ALLAN FINCH: A jolly, good old country boy salesman type who serves as the announcer.

Dialogue:

ANNOUNCER: Awrright! We are here at the Finals of the 2006 ‘Beaver Craw Chewing Tobacco’ Rock-Scissors-Paper Championships at Caesar’s Palace. I’m Allan Finch and these here are your finalists, Merle Hackett, who hails from Visalia, California and Kendall Metzger, who comes all the way from Round Lake Beach, Illinois!

Tell me, gentlemen, what in tarnation motivated you to enter this here contest?

MERLE HACKETT: Well, I’ll tell ya, Allan, back where I come from, my family, friends and in-laws take Rock-Paper-Scissors very seriously. Every time we have a get together, we have our own tournament. We have a barbecue, a couple keggars—

ALLAN FINCH: [laughing] Listen, here, Merle, even though we have beer signs up everywhere, we don’t want to broadcast that, seeing that it’s family hour for most of our constituent’s homes. Let’s try that again…

TAKE TWO:

MERLE HACKETT: Well, I’ll tell ya, Allan, back where I come from, my family, friends and in-laws take Rock-Paper-Scissors very seriously. Every time we have a get together, we have our own tournament. We have a barbecue, lotsa root beer, some chewin’ tabbacky and—

ALLAN FINCH: That’s Beaver Craw Chewing Tobacco, right?

MERLE HACKETT: No, actually, that’s Copenhagen snuff…

ALLAN FINCH: Cut! Cut! Listen here, son, this tournament is sponsored by Beaver Craw Chewing Tobacco. If they’re putting up a million dollars for first place and get a fancy place like this, chances are, they really, really don’t want to here the name, Copenhagen, anywhere on the broadcast! You get my drift?

MERLE HACKETT: Yeah, I see your point. But what about artistic integrity and all?

ALLAN FINCH: Artistic integrity? In a Rock-Paper-Scissors Contest? You’ve got to be jokin’!

MERLE HACKETT: Hey, I’ve grown up chewin’ Copenhagen snuff since I was 11 years old. I already compromised by taking that hat off and putting on one of yours, along with your T-shirt. I’m a genuine, dyed-in-the-wool, Copenhagen Snuff powered Rock-Scissors-Paper machine! Forgive me, Allan, but I don’t want to be a sell-out, you know what I mean?

ALLAN FINCH: That’s good and dandy, Mr. Hackett, but selling’s what we do. You see all those fancy lights, cameras, and this big, fancy hotel? The president of Beaver Craw saw fit to sink tons of money into this tournament so he could sell the shit out of his product, namely Beaver Craw Chewing Tobacco.

Now, if you have a problem with that, maybe you’ll scratch on a ‘technicality’ and we’ll get Bubba Cummings to replace you. Is your ‘artistic integrity worth dropping out of the championship, let your family down and all?

MERLE HACKETT: No, sir, when you put it that way! I read you loud and clear.

TAKE THREE:

MERLE HACKETT: Well, I’ll tell ya, Allan, back where I come from, my family, friends and in-laws take Rock-Paper-Scissors real serious like. Every time we have a get together, we have our own tournament. We have a barbecue, a bunch of root beer and sodie pop, and some—um—Beaver Claw…

ALLAN FINCH: Beaver Craw!

MERLE HACKETT: Beaver Craw Chewing Tobacco! Sorry about that, sir!

ALLAN FINCH: That’s okay, Merle, ha, ha, ha! Just a little nerves, that’s all. Tell us more!

MERLE HACKETT: [laughing nervously] Needless to say, things can get really heated in our family competitions. In fact, last Thanksgiving, we had a few fist fights break out in the semi-finals between Jo Ann, my second cousin; Velma Marie, my sister, and Rex and Charles, who are twins. I mean, we take it real serious!

ALLAN FINCH: So, is this where you developed your competitive drive, Merle?

MERLE HACKETT: Yes, sirree. But, as good as I am, there’s at least thee others that can whup my butt in Rock-Paper-Scissors in my family. It’s just we figgered that being the first one in my family to go to college—I’m just a few credits shy of my associates—and being the most photogenic, I’d be the best one to represent the family—you know what I mean?

ALLAN FINCH: We here at Beaver Craw Chewing Tobacco really appreciate a humble, yet fierce competitor. Best of luck to you, Merle!

MERLE HACKETT: Yes sir!

ALLAN FINCH: And what about you, Kendall?

KENDALL METZGER: Honestly, Mr. Finch, I got into this to meet girls because I hardly meet them on the job. I don’t have a voice for karaoke and feel really awkward at a bar, but for some reason, when I get into a Rock-Paper-Scissors tournament, it’s as if I’m a different person. The thing is, I’ve discovered I’ve got a real gift at this sport.

ALLAN FINCH: And how are the girls treating you these days?

KENDALL METZGER: Oh, it goes without saying, Mr. Finch! I’ve got more girls than I know what to do with! In fact, I’ve got three lined up so far tonight after the championship round and I got me a ‘quickie’ just a few minutes ago—

ALLAN FINCH: Cut, cut! Damn it, son! Listen here, Metzger, this is a show watched by all sorts of decent folk, including lots of god-fearing families, seeing that it’s being broadcast over the Bible belt and all. You’re going to have to tone it down a bit.

KENDALL METZGER: But, I thought you asked—

ALLAN FINCH: I was asking in general terms, like you met a couple of nice girlfriends or something like that. God almighty, we don’t want to broadcast to grandmas, grandpas and kids everywhere that you’re doing groupies at a Beaver Craw event. Jesus, son, come on!

KENDALL METZGER: I’m sorry.

ALLAN FINCH: Son of a bitch! You’re sorry? Now, let’s do that again…

(By Juan C. Ayllon, Copyright 2006)

Closed Thread