Home News Current Champs WAIL! Encyclopedia
The Cyber Boxing Zone Message Board
+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678

Thread: Calzaghe-Jones Results & Discussion Nov. 8/08

vCash

Re: Calzaghe-Jones Results & Discussion Nov. 8/08

Joe Calzaghe deserves serious respect. This guy can outbox or outslug anyone.

Registered User of Colorful Quips
    vCash

Watched the last couple of rounds again on replay. My favorite part is Jim Lampley whining about Calzaghe showboating against a fighter who, in his prime, caused Lamps to cream his jeans with his showboating over and embarrassing his opponents.

vCash

Joe's showboating was definitely about showing Roy up for years of Roy doing all that to others. Joe was not about to allow Roy to talk trash and pose and get away with it. So he did it back and did it better. Talk about comeuppance.

vCash

He's absolutely tireless but his slapping bothers me. I know he's got serious hand issues but still. His performance against Kessler was eye-opening to me because he simply diffused the Dane by turning it up another notch after a close 1st half.

The Jones fight? Well, he did what he should've. Maybe I'm a cynic but thats the best I can offer- Jones is shot and it's only because Tito was more shot that we even got treated with Cal-RJ.

Administrator
    vCash

I watched the fight again for some reason but this time around I notcied a guy in round 10 by the left corner of the ring a few rows back in plain HD sight, nodding off for the next few rounds. He probably started earlier but that said it all.

I was still appalled how RJJ refused to throw shots when JC's head was in plain sight for so many periods of time.
    Besides being shot the only other thing you can take away from that was RJJ flat out feared JC.
    It was really embarrassing to watch.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by apollack
    Joe's showboating was definitely about showing Roy up for years of Roy doing all that to others. Joe was not about to allow Roy to talk trash and pose and get away with it. So he did it back and did it better. Talk about comeuppance.
    Amen

vCash

I didn't catch it live, but caught the replay. I thought the ring doctor was very very kind to Jones. I can't think of too many other bouts where the guy with the bad cut is not inspected immediately when they return to the corner. And then the doctor scrutinizes everything during those 60 seconds and often times they eat up 10-15 seconds looking at it. but they are there in that corner as soon as the fighter gets there. But not this ring doctor.

So how come this guy waits around until they've worked on it between rounds and then inspects the cut? There was a delay starting a few rounds while this guy is looking & I can't fathom his timing whatsoever. I can't think of other examples of the ring doctors evaluating things in the same manner.

vCash

I give Calzaghe credit for his decisive victory over a shot Roy Jones jr., but I am troubled on how easy he seems to go down whether it's a clean right hand from B-Hop or a punch and or wrist from RJJ. Calzaghe is a skilled warrior and have to be given credit, yet would Calzaghe have beaten a 1998 Roy Jones or a prime Roy Jones jr.? Roy has not been the same since he burned of the 25-30 lbs. of muscle since beating John Ruiz at heavyweight. Also, Roy is lucky....this fight should have been stopped because of cut over his eye. I have seen lesser cuts cause fights to be stopped.

Administrator
    vCash

It was a forearm to the bridge of the nose, not a punch.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678