+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Haye vs. Barrett: We need Haye to win BIG

Administrator
    vCash

Haye vs. Barrett: We need Haye to win BIG

(post below)

vCash

Re: Did any US network pick up Haye-Barrett?

I don't know the answer to your question, but thought I'd post this here.

I heard Barrett on the radio today moaning about his food and hotel and having to pay his own taxi fare to go sightseeing.

Here's an article:

Monte Barrett yesterday slammed David Haye’s promotional company and moaned he has not been given enough dinner money.

The American also complained his hotel room was too small and is still to sign his contract ahead of tomorrow’s heavyweight showdown at the O2 Arena.

Londoner Haye, 28, swapped insults with Barrett, who he faces in a non-title 10-rounder – his first fight since giving up his world cruiserweight titles.

And ‘Two Gunz’ Barrett was left fuming about a clause which he claimed would have seen him paid less if there was a rematch with Haye.

Haye’s manager Adam Booth agreed to take the rematch clause out of the contract to ensure the big fight goes ahead.

But former world title challenger Barrett, 37, is still unhappy about his treatment by Hayemaker Promotions and sent out a sickening warning of intent.

He said: “They gave me £30 to eat per day but I need a bit more than a croissant and an orange juice for breakfast and then it costs me £22 for dinner.

“They have stuck me in a short stay hotel, the sort where men take their mistresses to, and the room is too small.

“This has not damaged me but they should have done things right.

“I’m a Christian but David is going to think I’m John the Baptist because I’m going to lay some hands on him.

“I’ve been cracking skulls and making people deaf in sparring.

“Someone is going home in a bodybag on Saturday and it isn’t going to be me.”

Haye hit back, saying: “I stayed in the same hotel before the Enzo Maccarinelli fight and had no problems.

“He sounds like a bit of a bitch.

“I just hope he doesn’t come to run and stinks out the house, but fights like a warrior.

“If he does, someone is going to get carried out on a stretcher.”

Administrator
    vCash

Re: Did any US network pick up Haye-Barrett?

This should be a taste of things to come.

I wish I could see this live but it looks like I will have to wait for a download.
    Does anyone know a link where I can watch it stream live?

Say what you want about Barrett but he has become one of the division's solid gatekeepers. He may be the closest thing to a heavyweight "truth machine" there is like Cliff named Andrade for supermiddle. A win over Barrett certainly makes Haye a legit heavy threat. Barrett may not be the best test of a heavyweight punch but he has put enough fakers down to put some meaning back into the nickname I made fun of for so many years "Two Guns."

Although Haye was a cruiser, he has a big frame & is not what you would call a small heavy at 6'3" and he will be around 220 or more for this fight. The only real knock on Haye besides his lack of D is the chin. I think the added weight will allow Haye to take punches better and the speed of the average heavy should allow him to have more time to see the shots coming.

I hope for the division's sake that he has impressive win Saturday and continues onward. He is an exciting fighter & he may be the only guy out there who can fit the part of a good heavyweight champ in many aspects and do the division some justice for a change. None of the other champs or contenders out there now have the appeal this guy does.

vCash

Re: Haye-Barrett We need Haye to win BIG

I picking the faster, fresher Haye to win inside 6 rounds.

vCash

I too pick Haye and expect a crushing stoppage, be surprised if it goes beyond 3 rnds and certain shouldn't go 6.

vCash

A closer to prime Barrett gut bounced like a yo-yo by Wlad, so I am not sure what the great expectations are about this one. If Haye cannot beat the tar out of this version of Barrett, they should re-instate the super-cruiserweight division just for him to shine.

vCash

dig- check ur pm
    Last edited by Husker; 11-15-2008 at 07:38 PM.

vCash

cant question Monte's sticktuitiveness, can ya?

vCash

Haye takes care of Barrett in five in London

Former world cruiserweight champion, David Haye re-introduced himself to the Heavyweight division by scoring five knockdowns en-route to stopping former two-time world title challenger Monte Barrett in five rounds in London.

After splitting the first two rounds, Haye socred two knockdowns in each of third & fourth rounds and finished Barrett off at 1:28 of round five with a hard left-right-left combination

vCash

This was my 1st viewing of Haye and if this fight was any indication, he has very little, if any chance against whichever Klit he fights in '09. He's got seemingly very good power but (at least against Barrett) WOW is he wide open to get hit.

What Mr. Baltazar's report doesn't mention is that Haye was KD'd, too and it actually cost Monte a point as he gave him a parting gift while Haye was flat on his back. Sloppy but interesting fight and I'd be curious to see what those who have seen more of the Londoner think of this performance.

Administrator
    vCash

Monte has nothing left, but from the poor-quality video i watched haye was down twice and the ref missed it.

vCash

Haye has a 50/50 chance of knocking out glass chinned Wlad, you are being way too hard on him. And Barret didn't land any punch that knocked Haye down . . .Haye slipped and then when already down Barrett swatted him in the face.

Haye is not the 2nd coming of Evander and yes he leaves himself open but with his speed and power he has a chance against anyone right now. I mean Wlad was struggling and getting backed up by Thompson in his last fight crying out loud, who has zero snap on his shots . . .one big Haye counter early would put Klitschko on his ass.

vCash

The Haye 'knockdowns' we a push and a slip.

Administrator
    vCash

Administrator
    vCash

Re: Haye vs. Barrett: We need Haye to win BIG

Haye did what a good contender was supposed to do. He is still a bit sloppy and leaves his hands out there way too long after a punch but at least he delivered a good fight and displayed his power. His hands are still quick at heavy and his power will put anyone down. I liked how he pulled out a leaping lead left hook. Haven't seen a heavy been able to pull that off in a while. If this guy can tighten up his defense, he will do some damage. The heavies are only getting slower after Barrett. Barrett looked stiff out there last night. I don't know if it was the pressure or he is on the wrong end of his career but he did not look right.

vCash

Haye looked ok in there versus Barrett but that isn't saying much, Barrett has been a sacrificial victim for all of the top European heavyweights over the past 8 years or so, and he's been dominated and kayo'd repeatedly,

I'm not too sold on Haye, yes his power is crushing, and his hands quick, and, if anything, he seems to be one of the only young up and coming heavy's that takes conditioning and staying in shape seriously, for that alone, he should be praised,

Vitali or Wladimir would give him fits with their tall frames, klong arms and excellent jabs, I don't see him walking down either brother with the ease he has shown against past opponents, I also feel that he will get kaoy'd himself when facing a fast, skillfull big punching heavy,

that is, if he ever takes on any good opponents,

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by prototypeofamodernmadman
    I also feel that he will get kaoy'd himself when facing a fast, skillfull big punching heavy,

Luckily for Haye that person doesn't exist.

vCash

The thing is - W-Klo won't fight him.

They will send V-Klo in to offset those defensivley open salvo's from Haye with that long jab and his durability will see him through any hairy moments that Haye might breach early with his fast hands.

The best chance to get rid of V-Klo is to keep him active, he'll break at training eventually.

vCash

I'm really disappointed by the negativity in this thread.

When was the last time we saw a chiselled heavyweight who comes in in absolute peak physical fitness, has charisma, and really lets his hands go?

In fact, when was the last time we had an all action heavyweight fight??! Lewis-Klitschko in 03?

I thought Haye was great fun, hard fast power shots from different angles, blitzed a known tough guy who whilst past his best came to play and tried take Hayes head off. Haye was tossed down in the 3rd, might have been knocked down in the 5th, but got straight up & absolutely demolished Barrett with devastating power.

So what if Haye got knocked down, or will get knocked down again? With his speed & power and most importantly heart he'll decap Wladimir Klitschko IMO.

Vitali totally different proposition, think hes too tough mentally for Haye, but still think we should enjoy & appreciated a fast fit heavyweight whos not padding a record and trying to fight only the best, however long it lasts.

Breath of fresh air for me at least.

Administrator
    vCash

I agree.
    Like suddenly we have all these high heavyweight standards?

I don't see anyone beating Vitaly as long as he is healthy but I can certainly see Haye KOing Wlad. Haye's speed will throw off a lot of these guys, especially with that power behind it. I'll give Haye this, he was hit flush while on the canvas after the slip & he took it fine. Haye will most likely get KDd again but as long as he gets up & fights, who the hell cares.

Barrett fought like a mess. To Haye's defense, it's hard to look polished when someone wants to fight you like that. Haye is quick both in hand & foot, has a great reach, power & is in sick shape to boot. Not much to complain about IMO.

vCash

I want to see Haye beating a legit contender before becoming more positive. I don't think that is asking for much. I'm not a Toney fan, but, heck, even if Haye beats Toney, I'd consider that a more or less significant accomplishment given today's landscape. I wonder how many people here would pick Haye to beat Toney right now.

Banned
    vCash

I'm with Raf

I heard Holyfield being mentioned earlier in this thread.

Let's remember, Evander needed to get through Tillis, Thomas and Dokes before everyone was convinced he was a Legit Heavy and even then questions followed Evander for years.

Beating Barrett....I'll put stock into it for what it's worth. Beyond that, there is obviously more to do.

Absolutely Haye could be the breath of fresh air that could clean up the stench in this division. I am hoping it to be the case.

However, I do think it's not too much to ask that Haye repeat this a few more times before I get too optimistic though.

Hawk

Administrator
    vCash

I'm not saying the guy is the next best thing but there's more reason to be excited about him than the other dozen hopefulls that have popped up in the past 5 years. Barrett was game enough to rid us of a jokers like Fields, Guinn and should have won against Mesi. I agree he needs to show more but what Haye did to him is a very good start in the right direction.

I would pick Haye over Toney without much trouble & certainly easier than Peter did. He is way too athletic for Toney to be effective and I think Haye will prove to hit harder than Peter.

If he is smart, he will take a few more fights with bigger heavies before he gets in with a Klitschko.

vCash

It's becoming clear that he will get a shot at a Klitschko after one more gimme fight. The brothers (who are shrewd businessmen) see big dollar signs here for fighting a guy who is basically unproven and untested. They are already talking about Vitali fighting him in England in June of 2009. In the meantime, expect Vitali to steer clear of his mandatory JC Gomez with the blessing of El Gran Presidente Sulaiman. The risk/reward ratio does not work in favor of Gomez as compared to Haye.

vCash

Haye was an ass for trying to promote this himslef. He's NOT a promoter and I agree with Monte all the way. Had a proper promoter been involved, Monte would have been afforded proper treatment. Haye had to sell tickets at half price to fill the place.
    He should stick to the fighting and leave promotion to promoters!

Ax for the fight, Haye was good; but it is Monte Barrett and it is 2008
    The division is far from what it used to be...

Let's wait a while before making Haye out to be the next big thing!

vCash

I can't see Haye being more than a herbie Hide type.

He's got excellent power, good speed and is good in general athletically, but i can't see him having the overall skillset or durability to make much of an impact.

Administrator
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Overhand_Right
    I'm really disappointed by the negativity in this thread.

When was the last time we saw a chiselled heavyweight who comes in in absolute peak physical fitness, has charisma, and really lets his hands go?
    Peak physical fitness -- maybe for him
    Chiseled --an irrelevant point
    charisma -- is that another word for douchebag?
    lets his hands go -- but doesn't hold them up

vCash

Re: I'm with Raf

Quote Originally Posted by hawk5ins
    I heard Holyfield being mentioned earlier in this thread.

Let's remember, Evander needed to get through Tillis, Thomas and Dokes before everyone was convinced he was a Legit Heavy and even then questions followed Evander for years.

Beating Barrett....I'll put stock into it for what it's worth. Beyond that, there is obviously more to do.

Absolutely Haye could be the breath of fresh air that could clean up the stench in this division. I am hoping it to be the case.

However, I do think it's not too much to ask that Haye repeat this a few more times before I get too optimistic though.

Hawk
    He may or may not be a lasting 'savior' of the division.

But it's not 1988. People were super skeptical of Evander b/c the light at the end of the fistic tunnell was a seemingly unbeatable 'monster' in Michael Tyson.

Now I'm not even sure that besides the K brothers there is anyone in the division as good as the Dokes Holyfield faced.

What dangerous deserving guy should Haye face before meeting Klitschko? McCline? Toney? Austin?

This division is one big shit sandwich filled with a ton of tomatoes and Haye's punch and speed give him as good a chance as any of knocking out glass chinned Wlad, who I believe is very beatable. Vitali . . more of a question mark. Either way I don't think he has many fights left with his body at his age.

Why waste everyone's time with more tune-up fights? I say make Haye-Wlad for next summer and let's see an actually intriguing HW fight for a change.

vCash

Hmm, Haye beats a shopworn Barrett and all of a sudden he jumps to the front of the line to challenge for a championship? Why would it be a waste of time to see him against say Arreola, JC Gomez, Or Kevin Johnson to actually earn a spot and create more anticipation for a fight against a Klitschko?

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Rafael
    Hmm, Haye beats a shopworn Barrett and all of a sudden he jumps to the front of the line to challenge for a championship? Why would it be a waste of time to see him against say Arreola, JC Gomez, Or Kevin Johnson to actually earn a spot and create more anticipation for a fight against a Klitschko?
    Barrett is already better than anyone Arreola, Dimitrenko or Johnson has beaten (Gomez is set to face Vitali). There is no 'deserving contender' besides Povetkin who exists in the division to face Wladimir. They have all been taking the paths of least resistance to get their respective bullshit rankings.

Based on obvious talent it's clear Haye has a better chance of beating Wlad than a fat slow Arreola. He should go to the head of the line b/c there IS no line in this division and he creates excitement and interest which ZERO of the other HWs do at this point in time. He was also the undisputed champ of another division. I don't remember people complaining about Hopkins not fighting an Adamek or Clinton Woods before he faced Tarver.

Boxing is in the crapper right now and in an era of BS rankings and BS mandatories the promoters and deal-makers need to say F-it and make the fights the fans want to see. Besides, while Klitschko fights Povetkin in the Spring Haye will fight one more tune-up. That will be more than enough to lead up to a summer fight with Mr. Roboto.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast