Home News Current Champs WAIL! Encyclopedia
The Cyber Boxing Zone Message Board
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: Favorites Comics

kikibalt

Favorites Comics

Here are my two favorites comics. Any body has favorite's ?

Roberto Aqui

Comix

Of mainstream comics, many of my favs are no long published in my rag. Li'l Abner, Alley Oop, and Joe Palooka. Al Capp was one of the illustrators for Joe Palooka and used one of the Palooka opponents, a Hillbilly, to start his Li'l Abner series. Boy how I loved Daisy Mae and she or Jessica Simpson can catch me any day.

My rag still features Prince Valiant which I've read continuously since my earliest memories of being. Dilbert captures the heart of the modern corporate world we live in. I've worked with all those characters, but it much funnier to read about them then have to work with them. Doonesbury is still politically pithy and fortunately the overhyped death of Hunter Thompson didn't kill off Uncle Duke.

kikibalt

Re: Comix

My favs from the old days were Joe Palooka and Red Ryder,
    but Prince Valiant, my god i have't seen that comix in over 30 years, hell Roberto where do you live at?

Frank B.

DscribeDC

I miss Dondi by Irwin Hasen, which used to occupy the entire back page of the Sunday New York Daily News. And whatever happened to Rick O'Shay? Was it considered unhip because it was well drawn?

kikibalt

This guy makes my day, each an every day

Frank B.

Chuck1052

I read comic strips and comic books as a kid,
    but quit when I became older. My favorite
    comic strips were Andy Capp and Rick O'Shay,
    but also enjoyed Dick Tracy, Nancy, Beetle
    Bailey, L'le Abner, Peanuts, Alley Oop, and
    a number of others.

- Chuck Johnston

kikibalt

Chuck
    I go to the editorial pages first , then like a kid i go to the comics, after that the the rest of the paper

Frank B.

Roberto Aqui
    Yeah, I forgot how much fun Dick Tracy was. The 2way wristwatch TV was prescient and his son Junior was a riot. What a terrible cast of bad guys. I remember one guy with an ugly face with long fingernails that he kept filed so he could slice up grapefruit and paper for combat practice.

BTW, I grew up in Houston and the Post always featured Prince Valiant. When I moved to Austin the transition was seamless. The last adventure has preadolescent Nathan as Val's squire off in a Journey to the land of the Picts after they save the life of what turns out to be a crazy one armed Pict from a gang of robbers. There are lochs with huge ancient sea reptiles that the Pict claims have terrorized his people and the Pict talks Val into trapping one. Nathan falls in love with a Pictish girl who ambushes him and takes him captive. Great drawing artistry and storylines about ancient times.

Steve McV
    There's one I'll never forget.

The strip is called "Kathy," I think. The day after Charles Schultz died, the first five panels of the Kathy strip had the main character sitting at a table, a sad look on her face. Then, in the last panel, she smiles and the word balloon has the words, "You were a good man, Charlie Brown."

Brought tears to my eyes, I don't mind saying. I loved "Peanuts."

I mean, I read the strip for decades, and there are still moments that have stayed with me, these years later. Linus standing under a tree, watching the leaves drift on the breeze, and in the next to last panel, a leaf settles on his face. In the last panel, Linus, obviously not knowing what else to do, says "Well...hi!" The next day, the same pictures for the first four panels, Linus watching the leaves, and then in the next to last panel, a leaf falls straight down and hits the ground with the caption "klunk." Linus looks confused in the last panel, saying "Klunk?"

Just wonderful. Schultz was just a great writer.

kikibalt
    Isn't that the truth?

Dan Gunter
    I love "Mutts": perhaps the best comic art in the papers these days. I also love "Piranha Club," which is now relegated to the on-line version of the paper I take (the Post-Intelligencer). "Piranha Club" is wonderfully cynical and zany.

"Prince Valiant" still runs in the Sunday Seattle Times/Post-Intelligencer. I have read "Prince Valiant" since childhood and long affected disdain for it. As I have grown older, I have come to like it more. The comic artists are hot about the quality of the work, especially the original artist (whose name I've forgotten).

Of bygone strips, "Calvin & Hobbes" was one of my favorites. The Spaceman Spiff episodes were hilarious, and all of them featured great comic art. I think that "Pogo" has to be on the short list of best strips of all time: great art, great writing, great characters.

One that I miss is a real throwback: "Our Boarding House," featuring the fez-topped Major Hoople. It has long since passed away, and I don't know of any collections of it.

kikibalt
    Dan, Calvin & Hobbes is my favorite comic, an is running on the L.A. Times

Frank B.

Dan Gunter
    Frank--

I think that Bill Watterson stopped writing the strip back in 1995. But I'd rather read reruns of "Calvin and Hobbes" than new strips by almost anyone out there!

If it weren't so darned expensive, I'd ask for the big three-volume edition of the strips that appeared just a few weeks ago. But even with the discount at Barnes & Noble it's $105. Ouch.

And I did find a collection of "Our Boarding House" on-line and just ordered it! I can't wait! It's odd: I grew up very poor, in an area that really didn't have much to offer (deep southeast Missouri, just north of the Bootheel). But I'm looking forward to dipping again into one of my favorite childhood comics (favorite, perhaps, because they didn't run much in the Sikeston Daily Standard) and being taken back to those childhood days!

Let me add, Mr. Baltazar, that I enjoy and learn from your posts on this board.

Cheers,
    Dan

kikibalt
    Dan, thank you for your kind words.
    The Times just started with the Calvin & Hobbes rerun about 6 months ago, i do have 3 big books of the Calvin & Hobbes comics

Frank B.

kikibalt

kikibalt
    here's a good one

kikibalt

Kid Achilles
    I'm a big fan of shonen style manga (japanese comics). My two all time favorites are Yu Yu Hakusho and Dragonball. I like the first half of DB more, where Goku is a child and the comic is more comedy/adventure themed than the nonstop combat that constitutes the bulk of Goku's adult life.

As far as American comics go, I really loved the graphic novel "Watchmen".

Sharkey

hmm

"Mr. Boffo" by Joe Martin

and

"Piranha Club" by Bud Grace

top my list of comics...and the chasm between them and the rest is gaping.

blv30

comics

Get Fuzzy and The Boondocks are very good comic strips.I especially loved the recent Get Fuzzy with Quentin Tabbytino.:lol

kikibalt

Re: comics

blv30, that Quentin Tabbytino dude was funny , one of the best of Get Fuzzy.
    darby conley does a great job with his characters.

Frank B.

vCash

Re: Favorites Comics

vCash

Must be my German heritage--

I used to like the Katzenjammer Kids. Other favorites were Dagwood, Little Iodine, Maggy & Jiggs, and Andy Capp.

vCash

Under the cover's of your mother's bed...
    vCash

Calvin and Hobbes def #1...but a close second for me was "Bloom County"...I really loved that strip.

vCash

Roberto Aqui

Propaganda comics aren't funny. Most of the military casualties over in Iraq are small town white Americans. I see their faces and hometowns every night on the Leher Report on PBS.

One big story is that there are many non US citizen immigrants serving in Iraq, some of which are illegal. Apparently the rule of law is as arbitrarily applied by the government as it is by boxing.

vCash

vCash

I've always been a big fan of the 60's & 70's era of Marvel Comics, with artists such as Jack Kirby, Steve Ditko and John Buscema, not forgetting the writings of Stan Lee of course.

vCash

kikibalt

Just wanted to say thanks for introducing me to MUTTS, since reading this thread I have purchased 3 of their Graphic Novels and am really enjoying reading them.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast