• Mal by TKO/KO

3 21.43%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Hatton-Malignaggi Results & Discussion Nov. 22, 2008

Administrator
    vCash

Re: Hatton/Malignaggi Pre-fight Predictions & Discussion

I'd like to see Paulie take this fight and move on. Hatton's had his day and won't suffer much from a loss to Paulie. I don't think it will happen but I would like to see Paulie get something after the beating he took from Cotto.

I didn't think so a year ago but suddenly it seems Hatton has some things to do at lt welter to keep him busy if he can stay motivated. There still is the possibility of a good $ fight with Pac if he sticks around too.

Administrator
    vCash

I'd like to see Hatton wipe that smirk off Paulie's face -- how he can hold his head high after screwing Johnny Bos is beyond me.

vCash

hatton will get stopped, pbf used him up for good
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Mike DeLisa
    I'd like to see Hatton wipe that smirk off Paulie's face -- how he can hold his head high after screwing Johnny Bos is beyond me.

How did he screw Johnny Bos? I did not know that.

R

vCash

Paulies got a sick jab which will give Hatton all kinds of problems. I definately see the ref warning and penalizing Paulie all night while letting Hatton get away with holding, wrestling, kicking, etc - smart money says Paulie puts on a boxing clinic but Hatton somehow gets awarded a close win or a draw,

WKS

vCash

I voted for Hatton by TKO/KO.

Administrator
    vCash

I think Hatton has plenty left. I just question how motivated he can be at this point.

vCash

Are there any pictures of their condition at the weigh in, I cannot find any pictures?

Thanks,

Ron

Administrator
    vCash

MANAGING EDITOR-IN-CHIEF
    In an undisclosed bunker deep in the weird, wild, woods of the Pacific Northwest
    vCash

Hatton-Malignaggi Results & Discussion Nov. 22, 2008

Cliff Rold, Crold on the board, who is one of Boxing Scene's top writers has again, graciously volunteered to cover the fight for the CBZ. & again, it is much appreciated.

Please keep all discussion of this bout to this thread.Redundant threads will be deleted.

thanks,

GorDoom

vCash

As it's down to fight time, I think I'll take Hatton in a not so pretty and rough decision, however Mallinaggi could 'outpoint' him all night long here. But Hatton by Decision it is!

vCash

Thanks Dig,

I could be wrong but Malignaggi looks a bit stronger in the chest, back and arms. Possible the extreme weight losss left a litte bit of hard to lose weight on the obliques for Ricky. I would have liked to see his arms a bit stronger for this fight. He has incredible stamina though.

If you stay in shape all year round you do so much better in that ring on fight night and get hurt so much less.

I wish him well

vCash

Anyone here have any thoughts on Hattons chnage of trainer for this fight?

vCash

I had a good shot at the job and was in communication with Ricky, his father and others representing him. My whole thing was adding to his one shot punching power so that when given the rare chance to hit a fleet footed fighter like Paulie, each and every punch would do bad damage including jabs.

I showed this to him briefly and he was kind enough to mention it in the press in Boxing News that he was very impressed and that I came highly recommended. Then he opted for the very capable Floyd Mayweather Sr, and in conversations explaining the choice he said that he wanted to improve his defense, which I understand.

His father is a very nice man and Ricky and his reps were very respectful and polite to me at all times.

I am very big on one punch knockout power and that is a defense in itself, to get in and out of that ring asap. I am sure Floyd Sr improved Ricky as a fighter and I know his methods well which are akin to his brother Roger's.
    I refereed his brother Jeff against Joey Gamache one of the nicest guys in boxing, and Jeff too uses that Mayweather patented style.

As long as Ricky still uses the methods that Kerry Kayes advocates nutritionally and in the weight room and stops the excessive drinking and consuming Beldar and Primat mass quantities between fights, he should still flourish. Ricky said that this kind of living did not catch up to him yet in 46 fights or so, but the thing is that anyone will perform better staying in shape all year round like Hagler did.

Floyd Sr's bout with Ray Leonard is worth watching as to what to actually do with such an effective defensive style as implemented by the very tough Floyd Sr in that fight, left hand and arm down at his side, rolling his shouldes etc.

Leonard solved it like I would have solved it for Ricky when Malignaggi uses the exact same left hand down, and rolling out the right hands from Hatton by turning his shoulder. The answer to that enigma is this:

Fast combinations on every part of the body available, with arcing short punches of great snap and power raining in on the left side of the body and around the gloves to the head.

Ray Leonard poured it on so much that even the great defense by Mayweather could not stop the hard shots over and over again.

This is what I told Hatton to do, but I wanted to add more power to each punch. Malignaggi is much, much stronger than most people think and is a tough kid, believe me.

If Bayliss doesn't dog Hatton at the behest of Paulie and interfere like Cortez did, it should be very interesting tonight.

I hope both guys come out of it ok.

vCash

Mal is being painted to be the next Willie Pep. But he is Pep without the pop or consistent pop. Pep scored over 60 kayos, I don't think Mal has even 10. But Mal's speed is going to frustrate Hatton and boxing fans. The contrasts in styles on paper has the makings of a great fight, but I have a feeling that Mal will win by decision in a stinker, but hopefully I am wrong and Hatton stops him.

Administrator
    vCash

Re: Hatton-Malignaggi Results & Discussion Nov. 22, 2008

Once more we are offering the ability to score the fight in realtime and live -- To score the fight follow this link -- you have to register but it is very easy and cool!

Launch Scorecard

I'd like to get more guys using this so we can see how our opinions mesh or vary. No more discussion here -- but follow the link!

Administrator
    vCash

The online scoring is cool. You can also chat live with people scoring the fight which I liked. Definitely try it if you haven't already.

vCash

Howdy fellas...I'm going to be finishing something during the undercard fight but I'll chime in with anything significant in James Kirkland-Brian Vera.

vCash

Lopsided ass whooping for the Jr. Middleweight Kirkland (21-0, 24KOs), stopping Brian Vera (16-2, 10KOs) in eight rounds. Kirkland was looking gassed midway but settled and continues to make his way up the ranks.

vCash

Up Next:

World Jr. Welterweight Champion Ricky Hatton (44-1, 31 KO)
    vs.
    #1 contender Paulie Malignaggi (25-1, 5 KO)

This is Hatton's fifth title defense since defeating Kostya Tszyu for the title in 2005.

vCash

For Ron Lipton...the referee is Kenny Bayless.

ROUND ONE

Hatton singing starts before fighting...Hatton hooks the body out of an early clinch...Malig lead right...jab...hard left hook from Hatton...right to the temple...Malig right to the body...Hatton uppercut inside...Malig jabbing and landing...Malig right...jab and Hatton counters with a left...even round.

10-10

ROUND TWO

Hatton jab...left hook glancing...Malig cut blocked...trade jabs...Malig lead slapping left...slips Hatton right...hard Malig right hook...trade lefts...Malig jab...Haton hard right, harder left...HUGE Hatton right and Malignaggi is hurt...another misses and countered with a Malig uppercut...Hatton steals it late and Malig has a mouse under the left eye.

Hatton 20-19

ROUND THREE

Slower round and Hatton is landing hard to the body as the infighting increases...big left hook late and then a lead right...Hatton round.

Hatton 30-28

ROUND FOUR

Malig lacing with the jab...initiating the clinches...trading hooks while grappling...Hatton landing bigger stuff and Malignaggi being drawn into a fight he can't win.

Hatton 40-37

ROUND FIVE

Hatton just walking in with hard stuff...nothing special going on.

Hatton 50-46

ROUND SIX

Hatton starts with a big lead left hook...Malig back on his bike and jabbing...Hatton right...another...Malignaggi boxes better at range but still landing nothing significant.

Hatton 60-55

ROUND SEVEN

F'ing board dislogged me for some reason so I lost this recap...more Hatton...some big lefts.

Hatton 70-64

ROUND EIGHT

Where is the gutsy stuff Paulie showed with Cotto...good right from Malig but nothing after...Left jab stuns Malig and a right uppercut rocks him...quick 1-2 from Malig...right uppercut from hatton just misses to end it.

Hatton 80-73

ROUND NINE

Hatton left hook and Malig sticks his tongue out...just rinse and repeat previous rounds...Malig can't win because he can't hurt hatton so he's looking for the distance.

Hatton 90-82

ROUND TEN

I'm so bored...Hatton jogging forward and just popping in hard shots between clinches...

Hatton 100-91

ROUND ELEVEN

Hatton landing hard shots to the body and head at will...Takes an elbow in the clinch...McGirt throws in the towel and Malignaggi shoves him...where was that fire for the last few rounds?

Hatton via TKO in 11 for his best win since Jose Luis Castillo.
    Last edited by Crold1; 11-23-2008 at 12:38 AM.

vCash

Good win for Hatton. I scored it live via the Fight Judge site posted above. Had it 99 - 91 for Hatton when it was stopped.

vCash

Hatton won, but he didn't look good in winning, Magg. again showed that he can't fight.

Where is the defense in todays fighters? Magg. with his hands down on his side, not one glove close to his face/chin.

Administrator
    vCash

Good stoppage. I too had it 99-91 at time of ending.

Administrator
    vCash

Hatton fought his typical post-Tsyzu "good" fight. He could have made it a lot easier had he went to the body more but he has become much more of a head hunter than the tenacious body puncher that began his fame. He seems to be back on track somewhat after the hangover of his first loss. I didn't see much PBF Sr influence in there like HBO claimed to see but 8 weeks isn't a lot of time to change a boxer, especially Hatton.

Paulie on the other hand, I'm not sure what happened here. My best guess is that he got his bell rung good in that second round & it caused him to see shades of Cotto and pulled into a shell. A guy with his talent should never be stuck to a jab all night. No left hook, no trace of a right hand, nothing. Maybe the right was hurt, who knows. It still doesn't explain why he kept going straight back out of clinches or why he was happy to clinch so much. I'd like to give some credit to Hatton for causing Paulie to unravel but this was not the same guy who hung in there with Cotto. Maybe that guy is gone. Who knows. Whether he is gone or not, I don't expect to see any version of him on a big stage anymore and maybe that's a good thing for a "slick" boxer that gets hit that much. You really can't blame Buddy for stopping the fight. It would be one thing if Paulie was getting out of the way and losing, but he wasn't.

vCash

Good win for Hatton. I found the fight moderately entertaining . . .got monotonous by round 5 and Mag kept stubbornly staying in it despite getting buzzed seemingly every other round. I'd much rather see Hatton-Pacquao than Pac-Oscar which will be a one-sided blowout.

Was odd to see Mag take huge leather from Cotto and trade toe to toe and then seemingly put into a shell by Hatton's pressure.

vCash

hatton was in great shape and laying wood at the stoppage. more body work would have helped even more.

paulie seems to give a lot of thought to hair styles before a fight...thats good paul, you got your ass kicked but you looked cooool.

if pacman gets by dlh without damage he and hatton makes an attractive fight...more so that dlh-pac which i wish we could just skip.

don't see a future for paulie from here....can't break an egg and way too hair conscious.

greg

vCash

@!@#$.
    Last edited by gregbeyer; 11-23-2008 at 01:17 AM.

vCash

Thanks for mentioning the ref for me.

I saw the whole fight.

I felt it was an absolutely inappropriate, untimely, premature stoppage with one round to go without ANY major head shots putting Paulie lad in jeopardy whatsoever to prevent him from going one more round to the end, not even close for Buddy to stop it like that.

A championship fight? One more round, he wasn't taking the beating that Anne Wolfe's fighter Kirkland was giving to his opponent. Now that should have been stopped much earlier than it was for the non ending head shots a la George Jones v Beathoven Scotland.

I kept saying to stop the fight but they could not hear me on the TV.

I felt Bayliss once again despite the WBC referee of the year award was way too awkward, uses his hands on the fighters in very disconcerting various ways, broke them so many damn times the wrong way, interfered at the wrong times over and over again, no one sees or says a word at ringside.
    It drives me crazy, he moves like he is in a semi crontrolled hysterical state, gesturing wildly with his hands. It is incredible and proves boxing is all politics as to officials. WATCH THE FILMS AND LOOK FOR WHAT I AM SAYING.

He let Malignaggi hold so much without one serious warning or point deduction, Paulie came close to stinking out the joint with so much holding especially with all the trash he talked before the fight which went way over the line and non stop too.

Like Frank said, I cannot believe my eyes as to the inexperienced techniques and lack of any intelligent tried and true boxing methods used.

Here is a bit of information so help me God. When Hatton went with Floyd Sr,
    I said I would ask Buddy McGirt if he wanted to bring me in as a specialized trainer for Paulie to double his punching power. I sent him a good DVD which clearly shows I could do it.

Buddy called me back, we spoke several times and he liked the stuff and said he respected me very much but Paulie did not care and said to Buddy quote,
    "I don't want to increase my punching power, I don't need it I want to stay the way I am."

Buddy said, what can you do the kid is set in his ways.

I watched this fight and thought of what Tony Baltazar would have done with him, blasted him out with one left hook.

Also no matter how many times Floyd Sr told Ricky to open up that right glove, hold it high and catch those jabs he would not do it.

I have every kid in my boxing class catching my lightining fast left jabs and listening to someone who was lucky enough to be with some of the great fighters and learned from them.

What a frigging generation gap. At least they made some bucks, but the crowed deserved the full 12 and Paulie was not in any kind of serious jeopardy. Absolute shit stoppage for the magnitude of the event with one round to go. He was not in any kind of grave danger.

vCash

Agreed Ron; I thought it was a weird hook.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast