Home News Current Champs WAIL! Encyclopedia
The Cyber Boxing Zone Message Board
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Fascinating post No Mas Interview by Cosell with Duran and Arcel

vCash

Fascinating post No Mas Interview by Cosell with Duran and Arcel

vCash

Re: Fascinating post No Mas Interview by Cosell with Duran and Arcel

Respectfully, Doomed, this interview was broadcast all over North America and I believe elsewhere in the world, for free, during the ABC re-broadcast of the fight.

And the interview settled none of the questions, it was mostly baloney!

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Frank
    Respectfully, Doomed, this interview was broadcast all over North America and I believe elsewhere in the world, for free, during the ABC re-broadcast of the fight.

And the interview settled none of the questions, it was mostly baloney!
    Ha ha

Mate - I was 6 in 1980, living in Broken Hill NSW - Have you seen the movie Mad Max 2 (The Road Warrior)? That was filmed around that time on the outskirts of town.

http://maps.google.com.au/maps?hl=en...-8&sa=N&tab=wl

We had ABC - Which is like BBC in England, government funded TV - Which basically consisted of English TV shows, cricket and aussie rules footage.

The other "commercial" channel didn't start broadcasting til 3pm, which had cricket or football depending on the season.

Other than Jeff Fenech fights, boxing was hardly ever on normal TV other than in passing.

You damn spoilt yanks

vCash

Hi doomed,

As to spoiled Yanks, actually Leonard-Duran I, being a mega-event, was a closed-circuit broadcast for the live show. Meaning it was not available as "Pay-per-view," which was rarely used in 1980 or earlier. Nor was it available on HBO. One had to go to a nearby arena or stadium to see it, or some other outlets (but bars and such didn't have access to it, as I recall). But, SOME cable networks carried it live--and there was no real rhyme or reason as to which ones.

However, free TV in the US and Canada of course had a replay a few weeks later, as was the case for Leonard-Duran II and Leonard-Hearns I in that same time period. Also Holmes-Ali. That network in the US and Canada was in all these cases ABC, though NBC and CBS, the other two major networks, often carried free, live, world championship boxing then.

HBO also carried replays of Leonard-Hearns I and Holmes-Cooney from that era a few weeks after the live events.

Spoiled? Well, we Americans don't get Aussie rules football here, hardly ever that is, nor the Aussie boxing, which would be nice.
    Last edited by Michael Frank; 11-28-2008 at 09:21 AM.

mike

anything film interviews at all with guys like arcel, brown, goldman, fererra, etc i have to see . thanks

+ Reply to Thread