Home News Current Champs WAIL! Encyclopedia
The Cyber Boxing Zone Message Board
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Arreola v. Walker, Williams v. Phillips

vCash

Arreola v. Walker, Williams v. Phillips

Tonight. One night only. Are you ready to rumble?

Arreola v. Walker is going to be loads of fun for as long as it lasts. Both are my kind of fighters - they come to FIGHT. Both come forward, hit hard, and don't like to back up. Spells WAR.

Paul Williams is one of the best fighters in the world that deserves a lot more credit than he receives. He should trounce Verno Phillips.

vCash

Re: Arreola v. Walker, Williams v. Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by apollack
    Tonight. One night only. Are you ready to rumble?

Arreola v. Walker is going to be loads of fun for as long as it lasts. Both are my kind of fighters - they come to FIGHT. Both come forward, hit hard, and don't like to back up. Spells WAR.

Paul Williams is one of the best fighters in the world that deserves a lot more credit than he receives. He should trounce Verno Phillips.
    In a division where a 39-year old Cedric Boswell is being spoken of as a hot commodity (trust me, I get the press release/emails all the time), one can only hope that one of these two bangers wins impressively, and excitingly enough to whet the public's (ergo HBO's) appetite for the Big Guys again.

But I have my doubts.

When you think about all of the false prophets that have come and gone since Tyson went nuts: Grant, Ibeabuchi, Akinwande, Tua, Bean (well, SOME touted him back in the day, LOL), Kirk Johnson, McCline, Barrett, Guinn....my God, the list is endless ), I cannot help but be cynical about Arreola and Walker. This kind of reminds me of that pathetic era after Holmes retired for the first time, and guys that a few years earlier wouldn't have been making $200 a day sparring were fighting for titles.

As Krusty the Klown would say: "E-c-c-c-c-c-h-h-h.."

Sorry for the pessimism about Arreola and Walker; it's just that they remind me too much of Eddie "The Animal" Lopez and Young Sanford. If you have to ask about THEM then you don't get the reference and my point is lost.....;-)

Kyoodle

vCash

I'm rooting for Verno Phillips. I hope he Wins.

vCash

Walker is taking this tub of goo to school in ROund 1. What a discrace for Aereola coming in at 260+,

WKS

vCash

Aereola shows hes tough even though he's a fat fucking slob. Good round 2 by Chris,

WKS

vCash

Fun fight, as predicted. Both guys down. Arreola looked slow and sluggish, with a pourous defense at first, and got dropped in the 2nd round, but then came back and badly hurt and twice decked Walker. Walker's legs and head were gone and he did all he could to barely last the round. Arreola put it on him again early in the 3rd and dropped him again and the ref immediately stopped it. His legs were no longer there and he couldn't deal with the onslaught.

vCash

Great Toughman fight!

Arreola is our best American heavyweight, (according to Kellerman),
    I guess we forgot about defense....face first, out of shape, keeping distance right at the end of Walker's punches....
    Vitali decimates him ,He has a puncher's chance against Vladmir, but I doubt it

vCash

Hey, you gotta love this fight. It was a war. It was a great matchup between two hard hitters who come to fight. So it is not surprising or a shame that they both got decked and there was an early knockout.

Arreola is tough as nails and will be fun to watch, win or lose. I'd rather see him than some frightened coward come out and run or grab and go 12 rounds.

vCash

I'd love nothing better then for Arreola to put Vladmir to sleep,
    just don't htink it could happen ....yet

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by apollack
    Hey, you gotta love this fight. It was a war. It was a great matchup between two hard hitters who come to fight. So it is not surprising or a shame that they both got decked and there was an early knockout.

Arreola is tough as nails and will be fun to watch, win or lose. I'd rather see him than some frightened coward come out and run or grab and go 12 rounds.

You're right...it was a very entertaining fight. But no different than one I could have seen in North Bergen, Newark, Allentown, Essington, Philly or any other clubber card that's been run as of late.

For instant gratification as a fight fan I give it a "9".
    For relevance to the future of the HW division it's a "2", as I agree that CA has but a puncher's chance against the younger Klit, and Walker will now join the Ray Austins and Dominic Guinns of the boxing world.

Kyoodle

PS--Kellerman just can't HELP himself from sounding like a total nutsack on HBO. I curse the day Cayton and Lott "discovered" this putz for the FNF's on ESPN2, LOL!

vCash

Paul Williams wins in impressive fashion. Verno Phillips showed his gameness and vetern ability, but Williams was too relentless. Phillips landed some crisp shots, had a decent guard, but just couldn't handle Williams' superior output. Williams' body shots were really nice, and set up the head shots. Phillips took it round after round and tried, but eventually retired after round 8. He was just gradually getting broken down. Williams had a pretty bad cut over his right eye from a head butt.

Administrator
    vCash

The Arreola fight" sorry, I dod not "love" it.

Arreola took way too many punches -- and Walker ran out of gas at end of first.

That, coupled with a long break after Arreola's knockdown, which allowed him time to recover, leads me to say this was a lousy fight.

Maybe for MMA it is exciting, but for me it is just dreck.

vCash

Only reason there was a break was because Walker lost his mouthpiece - he was getting tired from throwing nothing but bombs.

That was an entertaining heavyweight fight. Not too many heavyweight fights I've seen lately measure up to that level of intense competitiveness. Sometimes the light that burns twice as bright burns half as long. I'd rather that than the drudgery of a lot of these heavyweight bouts. And I think the fans agree. That crowd loved that fight. And boxing needs asses in seats.

vCash

I'd agree with apollack on the point that it was entertaining, especially when compared against any of Wlad Klitschko's performances. No, it wasn't Ali vs. Frazier, but it engendered the typical HW fight scenario: two big guys able to end it with one punch, and the crowd did indeed eat it up.

Kyoodle

vCash

Walker landed some good body shots into Arreola's doughy gut which set up some nice head shots , Walker mixed up his punches very well until he slowed down and got tagged . Walker reminds me of Michael Grant who has all the physical tools in the world but comes up short in strategy perhaps due to little or no amateur experience.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Mike DeLisa
    The Arreola fight" sorry, I dod not "love" it.

Arreola took way too many punches -- and Walker ran out of gas at end of first.

That, coupled with a long break after Arreola's knockdown, which allowed him time to recover, leads me to say this was a lousy fight.

Maybe for MMA it is exciting, but for me it is just dreck.
    Reply: I like so many boxing fans are so hard up for a decent fight, I enjoyed it. It was a club fight, a toughman fight or a golden glove fight. To be on HBO and call this guy a top 10 heavyweight is so sad a statement as to the state of boxing and the heavyweight division.

So flabby, so ordinary but heavy handed and tough. Nice language while on HBO being interviewed. It was like an interview from Rikers Island on lockup.

Sign him up for endorsements immediately.

The referee allowed Paul Williams foul protector to go above his navel and then called some shots by Phillps low which were on the belt and in fair territory. Can't anyone on HBO EVER see these equipment violations?

Good right hook to the body by Williams, yet for a seasoned pro Phillips should have slamed a left hook counter to the cut right eye and timed it over that slapping right hook every time Williams bent to his right to slap it into his side.

They have got to get better fights somewhere for HBO fans although like I said I enjoyed the shoot out. A 39 year old being fed to Williams is not a main event for HBO. Williams needs more power in his left hand but his stamina was getting better and he has guts and determination.

To herald Chris the nipple aerreola as the best American heavyweight is as sad as it gets and as bleak as it gets in a barren wasteland.

It is wide open to create a great heavyweight prospect that can punch with both hands and look the part and act the part and take the title back to America.

vCash

If Phillips threw counters to the cut right eye he risked opening it further and getting the fight stopped. If the fight went to the cards Williams would have won easily. Phillips best shot was a lucky KO and he wouldnt have gotten that by going for that cut. If I were in his corner I would have told him to steer clear of the eye.

vCash

I understand what you are saying, but when someone is slamming right hooks into my ribs, kidney and liver and I hurt him via a cut eye and he is punching me and I am punching him, you have to stop your opponent any way you can, its a fight and you attack vulnerable areas as they present themselves.

There is always a chance for an argument that the cut can be worsened by legal punches and most of all it hurts, so hurt him on the eye, it creates openings for other shots, put him in pain and keep it coming.

This is what Iceman Scully writes about, being in that ring, in the actual fight, it puts you into a do or die fight situation, a real fighter will want to hurt you if you hurt him, you cut him, you cut him some more, OR he will beat the shit out of you and you will wish to God you stopped him anyway you can.

I think he should have gone for the eye all night long like Ali cutting up his opponents, but Williams was hard to reach from the outside, but in the shootouts on the ropes he should have given him the Fritzie Zivic special and his cornermen if they wanted to be more useful should have complained about the high protector of Williams and make them take it down a notch.

Phillips knows better but at 39 he could not do what he had to, slam tremendous shots into those skinny arms and rip that eye up too.
    Phillips had no power, no zip, just guts and a 39 year old body not meant to knock out a bigger man.

Ray Leonard's method of stopping Hearns and Floyd Mayweather Sr is what was needed here, Phillips never had those tools although I respect his heart.

vCash

Fighters rock new arena

Carlos Baeza
    Chris Arreola, left, would defeat Travis Walker in the third round of their heavyweight bout with a technical knockout.

Chris Arreola pummels way to heavyweight win and Paul Williams prevails at 154 pounds in the main card at venue in Ontario.

Bill Dwyre
    November 30, 2008

It was a new place to practice their craft, but the two-headed monster promoted by Dan Goossen and named Arreola/Williams seemed to feel right at home Saturday night at the new Citizens Bank Arena in Ontario.

The crowd was listed as 5,400, in a new stadium that can seat 10,000 for events such as boxing, and that seemed a decent crowd for a sport that hasn't been featured in this region in some time.

The new arena has already played host to the likes of a Lakers exhibition game. But if fans thought that was a lot of action, they should have seen what went on in the boxing ring.

In a night of blood, guts and thunder, heavyweight Chris Arreola destroyed Florida fighter Travis Walker with so many huge punches in the second and third rounds that both the ring uprights and the arena were rocking.

Arreola finally finished Walker, after being down once himself in the second round and punching Walker to the ground twice himself in the same round, with a huge left hook. That left Walker crumbled in a corner, referee Jack Reiss hovered over him to make sure he had no ideas of getting up.

Which, as it turned out, was a good idea on Reiss' part.

"I wanted to continue," Walker said. "I didn't think I was hurt. . . . I was surprised I started to get hurt. He did get good shots in, all on point."

Three rounds of incredible action, and that wasn't even the main event.

In that one, the rubber man, Paul Williams, all 6 feet 2 and 154 pounds, with legs like twigs and hands like hammers, wore down 39-year-old Verno Phillips to the point that he remained in his corner after the eighth round.

Neither fighter had gone down, but Williams, who is lanky and has a reach that forces opponents to attack by wading through three or four shots just to get into range, beat up Phillips badly.

Paul Wallace, the ringside physician, who recommended to Phillips' corner that their fighter had had enough, said, "He was ready to go. He wasn't answering questions appropriately. The difference [in how Phillips was] between the seventh and eighth round was a lot."

Williams' main problem in this fight was the cut he suffered over his right eye in the first round. It did not come from a punch, but from a head butt, and if Wallace had ruled it was bad enough to stop the fight in the first four rounds, the result of the match would have gone to the judges' card.

But Williams survived it well.

"That's the first time I bled like that," said Williams, who has fought 37 professional matches and won 36. "I had blood in my eye a lot, but I did what I had to do."

Williams said he thought the third round was the turning point.

"I could feel Verno's legs leaving him," Williams said.

In the first round of the Arreola-Walker fight, Arreola could probably feel his unbeaten record (26-0), not to mention his quest to become the first Mexican heavyweight champion, leaving him.

Walker unloaded several times and even scored a rare knockdown against this tattooed block of granite.

"He's a strong guy," Arreola said. "In the first round, I wanted to see how much power he had."

Arreola, the frequent subject of criticism over the weight he carries into the ring -- 254 pounds Saturday night -- said afterward, "I'm not concerned about my weight. I just wanted to go to war."

He also admitted, however, that he would be back in training Monday.

Mentioned often in post-fight interviews were the names of the Klitschko brothers, Wladimir and Vitali, along with Antonio Margarito.

The Ukrainian Klitschkos, each holding a belt in separate heavyweight groups, seem to be the goal of Arreola and his promoter, Goossen.

Asked in the ring afterward whether he thought he was now ready to fight one of them, Arreola answered by saying, "Ask the fans."

Margarito is a world-class fighter who Williams beat a year ago at the Home Depot Center in a result that shocked the boxing world. Now, Williams and Goossen seem to be pushing for a rematch and the big payday that would come with it.

"I'll get in the ring with anybody," Williams said.

Getting in the ring too Saturday night was Shawn Estrada, the Olympian from East Los Angeles, who won his professional debut with a first-round technical knockout of Lawrence Jones in a middleweight bout.

bill.dwyre@latimes.com

vCash

Those were World Class heavyweights?

Got to agree with Ron Lipton in saying that we are so hard up for an action heavyweight fight that we'll settle for something as action-packed but devoid of talent as Arreola-Walker.

Will Arreola get himself into anything resembling good shape? Forget it. Remember heavyweight contender James "Broadaxe" Broad from the 1980's? He was so freaking out of shape it was pathetic, but his talents were just about as good as any heavyweight on the scene. However, if he saw food, he wanted to devour it. The day before his KO loss to Tim Witherspoon (another heavyweight who let his appetite get the best of him), Broad downed an entire box of Dunkin' Donuts. No, not Munchins. I'm talking something like TWO FREAKING DOZEN FULL DONUTS! Obviously, Arreola uses Broad as his role (or is that ROLL, as in Bread) model.

When I heard Max Kellerman call Arreola the best American heavyweight, I gagged. A puncher's chance against one of the Klitschko Brothers? Forget it. The only thing he can do better than either Vitali or Wladimir is eat!

Oh, don't you wish we were all young heavyweights?

-Randy G.

vCash

our best heavyweight comes into the ring in that kind of shape against either klit and they may as well have his coffin waiting ringside.

if areola thought walker was a "strong mf'er" wait till he locks horns with one of the ukrainian pretty boys. his chances are slim and none.... or is that fat and none ?

disfuckingustin.....

greg

Banned
    vCash

The rub is that Arreola was in pretty decent shape against Chad Witherspoon. And it showed in his performance. Maybe getting decked will knock some sense into his head. PeteLeo.

Administrator
    vCash

I think HBO commentators are way too influenced by the sight of blood -- FIGHTERS fight with cut eyes. Punto final.

Second, I think the expectations of the fans have been degraded through years of poor figting, poor technique, and poor conditioning that they think that an "action" fight equates to a good fight.

I see better streetfights between bums on youtube than shown on HBO last night. And those drunks are better than the average MMA tapout artist.

But then again, HBO and the viewing audience someohow was conned into believing Arturo Gatti was a good fighter, so why not Arreola.

PS --I was hoping he won a close decision so I could write "Arreola Nips Walker."

Banned
    vCash

Why not, "Walker Nips Arreola"?

I like the sound of that better. PeteLeo.

vCash

America's best heavyweight hopeful is Tony Galento 08...wow.

Administrator
    vCash

PeteLeo -- yours is better!

Actually, I think you just came up with the official CBZ nickname for him -- Nips Arreola!

On a par with Bucket's Big Klit and Little Klit i would say!

I added it to Boxrec -- lets see if it takes!

Chris "Nips" Arreola
    http://www.boxrec.com/list_bouts.php...2248&cat=boxer

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by PeteLeo
    The rub is that Arreola was in pretty decent shape against Chad Witherspoon. And it showed in his performance. Maybe getting decked will knock some sense into his head. PeteLeo.

It's not conditioning. Arreola is slow, has no defense, and limited skills. Either Klitschko would demolish him.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Mike DeLisa
    PeteLeo -- yours is better!

Actually, I think you just came up with the official CBZ nickname for him -- Nips Arreola!

On a par with Bucket's Big Klit and Little Klit i would say!

I added it to Boxrec -- lets see if it takes!

Chris "Nips" Arreola
    http://www.boxrec.com/list_bouts.php...2248&cat=boxer

Reply:
    "To herald Chris the nipple aerreola as the best American heavyweight is as sad as it gets and as bleak as it gets in a barren wasteland.

It is wide open to create a great heavyweight prospect that can punch with both hands and look the part and act the part and take the title back to America. "

Lets give this dirty birdy his due now, I posted this quite awhile ago.
    However I will be slightly willing to share the origin of his nickname.
    Your partner in slander,

Ron

vCash

Another Opinion

Someone I know inside the Arreola camp shot me a response to Ron and Randy's posts concerning Chris, and so I thought I'd post it here as he offers a different side of the story:

It's hard to understand, or try to explain--but in spite of his flabby appearance, Arreola was IN FIGHTING CONDITION last night. Ten days ago, I stood just outside the ropes in the Big Bear training camp when he went nine tough rounds--three each, with three journeyman heavyweights; beat the hell out of all three, leaving them exhausted, and had plenty left at the end. I do wish he would diet himself down to a more respectable and better-looking 235--but that's just the way he is: eats what he wants, and he loves those enchiladas.

Incidentally: Those three "experts" who wrote unfavorable reviews about Arreola's performance? I have written down their names: GORDON, LIPTON, and HIGHTOWER. And I will go on record with this prediction: A year from now, Chris will be champion--and those three guys will be following him around, looking for a chance to kiss his ass, to land an "exclusive" interview. (You weren't around when Rocky Marciano was coming up--but that's exactly the kind of reviews he got: "Clumsy." "Limited." "Club fighter." "Will be exposed as an unskilled amateur, when he goes up against class," etc., etc.) And, of course, Marciano somehow managed to negate the criticism when he ran off 49 wins in a row--getting very few "style" points along the way.

Want to know why he stood with his back to the ropes and got nailed by Travis Walker last night? He wanted to test the big man's power; see what he had to offer. And he wanted it to be an exciting fight--which, of course, it was. You'll never see him in a mauling stinker, like John Ruiz / or in a faint-hearted surrender, like Samuel Peter. He wants the boxing public to view him as a warrior in the mold of Julio Cesar Chavez, Diego Corrales, or Arturo Gatti. That may be hard for Messrs. Gordon, Lipton, and Hightower to comprehend at this time; but they'll come around, right after he flattens his first Klitschko.

Banned
    vCash

Here's betting

That if this guy was in Tony Tubbs's camp that he'd be saying Tony was in fighting shape as well.

Jesus, when your fighter has breasts like Arreola has and he get's criticized for looking the way he does......I guess you can get defensive about it, or you can get your fighter in some flocking respectable shape.

Kinda see where this guy is gonna go.

And I will go on record with THIS prediction: If Arreola EVER becomes a Heavyweight champion, I will NEVER watch another heavyweight fight for the rest of my life.

Hawk

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast