Home News Current Champs WAIL! Encyclopedia
The Cyber Boxing Zone Message Board
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: De La Hoya - Pac Results & Discussion 12/6/'08

MANAGING EDITOR-IN-CHIEF
    In an undisclosed bunker deep in the weird, wild, woods of the Pacific Northwest
    vCash

De La Hoya - Pac Results & Discussion 12/6/'08

CBZ stalwart, Zev, is going to do the round by round for us on the main event. The undercard is so underwhelming Zev will just give the results. This is the first PPV I've bought in exactly a year when Oscar fought Floyd last December 6th.

It's also the last one I can see buying for a long, long, time... To me this fight is a carnival side show. There is a very valid reason for weight divisions.

If Oscar was still fighting regularly & close to his prime he would destroy Pac. But now as an old, inactive, fighter Pac has a shot. Not much of one but his speed & high activity might be enough to win a decision - he's not gonna KO Oscar who does have a helluva chin.

Anyway, this is definitely the most intriguing fight of the year let's just hope that at the price it's worth it.

Please keep all discussion of this card to this thread. Redundant threads will be deleted.

thanks,

GorDoom

vCash

Re: De La Hoya - Pac Results & Discussion 12/6/'08

Guys,

Unfortunately, my satelite just got zapped and I don't think there will be a fix out in time for me to cover the fight. Can anyone step up to the plate in my absence? I'll be counting on whoever will cover it as the best, if at all I'll get tonight is a streaming version off the net.

Zev

Administrator
    vCash

Ok -- I am dusting off my laptop and moving it to the next room for the bout -- I'll cover it here.

So save your shekels for Bucket's Kwanzaa present.

If you are waching and want to score in real time follow this link -- you have to register but it is very easy and cool!

Launch Scorecard

MANAGING EDITOR-IN-CHIEF
    In an undisclosed bunker deep in the weird, wild, woods of the Pacific Northwest
    vCash

We be covered guys. My partner, The Scourge Of The New York Islands, Mike DeLisa, is going to cover the fight for us. He turns the sound off so he doesn't have to listen to or be subliminally influenced by the blather the announcers constantly regurgitate.

Sould be interesting ... I just watched the first Pac -Morales fight & that's the blueprint for beating Pac. Oscar is nowhere near as worn as Morales was then & I now clearly envision him winning. He just needs to bring back his power jab & use uppercuts when Pac gets inside.

If he does that & forces Pac to back up the fight is over. Pac has no plan B. He knows only one way to fight - it's a helluva good way but it's completely one dimensional. Take him out of his game plan & he's in deep waters.

Add De La Hoya's obvious size & power advantages & while I could always be wrong (it's happened many times before), I think this one is a no brainer.

There is a damn good reason for weight divisions ...

GorDoom

vCash

JML V Medina -

Rnd 1 - Referee Joe Cortez -

Fighters come out with Lopez measuring Medina, backs Medina to the ropes and lands southpaw right hooks up and down at will and Medina is down 3 times, the 2nd two knockdowns looking like he's about 20,000 leagues out of his depth.

Terrible fight - Juan Manuel Lopez TKO 1

Administrator
    vCash

Undercard fights update:
    Victor Ortiz defeated Jeff Resto round 2 TKO
    Juan Manuel Lopez defeated Sergio Medina round 1 TKO
    Daniel Jacobs defeated Victor Lares
    Danny Garcia defeated Jose Alfredo Lugo
    Jose Angel Beranza defeated Jesus Rojas
    Robert Marroquin defeated Isaac Hidalgo
    Adrien Broner defeated Scott Furney
    Richie Mempranum defeated Cesar Lopez via UD

vCash

Terrible undercard!!....

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by kikibalt
    Terrible undercard!!....

Sure is!! What a sham! The main event better be good.

vCash

sadly...the parkinsons has gotten to freddie roach. lampley made it seem he was shaking in fear while he watched de la hoyas hands being wrapped....

freddie ain't scared of NO.......BODY.

greg

vCash

How is it looking so far?

Banned
    vCash

Espn

HAs Manny taking the 1st 4 rounds. Speed is apparently the difference.

And that is on Manny's side.

Hawk

Banned
    vCash

the 5th as well

Agian, just what ESPN is reporting.

Saying Oscar looks old and slow.

Hawk

vCash

I am getting updates from another forum and it sounds like DLh is weight drained. Seems like Pacman is embarrasing The Golden boy.

MANAGING EDITOR-IN-CHIEF
    vCash

Man was I wrong! We're in the 7th & they should stop this fight NOW! A BIG Tip 'O The Fedora to Manny Pac.

GorDoom

vCash

Where's the round by round report?

Administrator
    vCash

Paq by TKO -- Oscar doesnt come out for round 9.

vCash

This is a major upset to me. I didn't think Manny could take the shot's at 147.

vCash

To those that paid for this fight - Did you get your moneys worth ?

vCash

Wow!!!!

Obviously DLh has to hang them up.

I have always though DLh was an overrated fighter.. How badly do you guys think this loss will taint his legacy?

vCash

Go to ESPN Boxing ... they had a round by round ... Oscar ran out of gas, did not belong at that weight at this age and got his ass kicked ... it must have been brutal for him to quit ... I thought he'd have to be carried out ... get ready for Mayweather to come back to challange Paq !!!

Administrator
    vCash

Thank god my cable went out -- I picked up an alternate free broadcast starting with round 3.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas44
    To those that paid for this fight - Did you get your moneys worth ?
    NO!!....

vCash

Re: the 5th as well

Quote Originally Posted by hawk5ins
    Agian, just what ESPN is reporting.

Saying Oscar looks old and slow.

Hawk
    Hawk,

DLH looked, like what he is at this point, a 35 year old fighter..

vCash

I missed the fight as my friend lost his signal today.

Either way I called it bang on boys so if I can gloat briefly you can eat my dust. Manny is 100% the real deal and an ATG based on his body of work.

BTW while I'm on a roll Ali beats Louis and Leonard beats Hagler anytime from 1982 onward.... LOL!

Seriously now, I can't wait to see it. Congrats and well done to Freddie and Manny!

Oscar please hang them up champ.

vCash

That was a one sided beat down.

I had an asterix next to round 3 as being close, other than that it was all Manny.

Speed, speed, speed.

Freddie Roach was 100% correct, both fighters very classy afterwards.

Bring on Hatton Pac man - Same result going by todays fight.

vCash

Oscar indeed looked old and slow. He could'nt get off from the beginning and Manny just worked him all over with crisp hard shots both upstairs and downstairs. Manny moved in and out ver well and once again showed improvement in defence.

Oscar looked old, but Manny looked awesome tonight.

Manny vs Mayweather certainly looks good right now.

vCash

I saw the fight but was not near a computer to do it for the zone.

First things first. Freddie Roach is not scared of a damn thing, he just was ill from what he is going through. I felt so bad I could have cried for him seeing him suffer like Ali. He did a great job with Manny as a trainer and cornerman looking out for him with the hand taping of Oscar and objecting to the Felix Trinidad kind of tape job they were trying to use. I like Oscar very much as a gentleman and he showed tremendous class as always after the fight.

Manny HAS GOT to stay at 140 and absolutely never go within a light year of Margarito or any other natural welter or he wil taint his legacy. The HBO staff is comparing Manny to Henry Armstrong.

Manny shut him out with speed, turning him, side to side, and pot shot left hand shots all night long with lightning fast combinations from round 1 on.
    Stanley Chrisdoudolo (Spelling sorry) wrongly gave Oscar one round.
    This is the problem with some judging. If a guy is long badly and does a little bit better in one round that does not mean he won the round, when will they get that through their heads?

I feel very strongly that Oscar should have come out for one more round and insisted on it as a warrior who was getting paid tremendous bucks.
    Go out on your shiled and do NOT let the corner stop it. It was only a swollen eye and he looked like at times he was baiting Manny to draw him into a trap in a swap session.

To me he was not hurt bad enough to quit or allow it to be stopped even though he was being shut out. This is a major fight and we would never have a Graziano v Zale II with this attitude, or an Ali v Frazier III.

You come out and finish damn it and keep trying. Why? Because you want to and its in your blood. He trained so damn hard for this fight too.

Not a good fight because it was so one sided, but it blew my mind and every round I saw a 5'6" guy beating the shit out of a 5'10 1/2" guy and it was shades of Basilio and Robinson I.

Oscar is such a gentleman I really admire him and his good heart, class act all the way. Manny's performance was just STUPENDOUS.

To me I was lucky to see it and for any affcionado, yes it was worth it.
    Horrible, Horrible undercard.

Manny did the job but trust me does not have the power anywhere near a strong welter by a lightyear. Hatton V Manny would be the greatest at 140.

Ron

vCash

I was completly wrong in my prediction, and I'm glad I was wrong. Pacquao didn't just win . . . . he DESTROYED Oscar. I don't want some of the typcial CBZ cynicism or excuses about Oscar's weight to taint what was an incredible performance. This was the same Oscar who on my scorecard and others beat Floyd Mayweather. Sure, he was past his prime, but still a top fighter who had never been the victim of any one-sided shellacking . . the Bernard fight included.

Pacquao is not only an all-time great fighter, he's PFP at least in the top 30-40 fighters of all time. He will knockout Hatton, and if Floyd has the balls to come back he'll knock him out too. Amazing that he retained so much speed moving up so far in weight. A modern day example of how guys like Greb, Walker, Langford etc. moved up to face the bigger guys and won. Speed, timing, angles, and stamina to fight 20 rounds.

vCash

I agree with every word of your post Ron Lipton.

Manny was the pefect foil for an aged part time fighter not a hungry, young active welterweight. I say to Manny stay at 140 and cash in on a Ricky Hatton execution.

Big credit to Freddie Roach also. In an era of fighters jumping from trainer to trainer for each big fight, Freddie and Manny have been loyal and trusting of one another, getting it done together as a team.

The proof as they say is in the pudding since we've all seen the improvements in Manny over the years and Freddie's gotta get some of the accolades for his fine work.

vCash

I agree 100% Ron. I wonder if Stanley C gave Oscar the third, which I had marked as a close round, but only because it was the only point in the fight where DLH had control for about 30 seconds and backed Manny up by landing three jabs.

Even then, I still gave Manny the third in the overall context of the round.

I am shocked in a good way, there was a moment toward the end of the 5th where you had a tangible sense that the fight was going to end in a stoppage victory for Pacquiao, yet you just couldn't believe what you were seeing.

Add this fight to the great thread in the old timers section on great one sided beatdowns. Manny's footwork was amazing.

I have NO desire to see Mayweather and Pacman fight at all, but Hatton V Pacquiao is just can't miss good times.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast