Home News Current Champs WAIL! Encyclopedia
The Cyber Boxing Zone Message Board
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Closed Circuit

vCash

Closed Circuit

If my memory is correct there were NO closed circuit boxing cards between Ali-Norton and Duran-Leonard. Does anyone know why CC did a 4 year disappearing act only to re-emerge with multiple cards in the 80's again?

For the record I'm not complaining. Some of ABC's fight cards were great in the late 70's.

vCash

Re: Closed Circuit

Quote Originally Posted by 10-8
    If my memory is correct there were NO closed circuit boxing cards between Ali-Norton and Duran-Leonard. Does anyone know why CC did a 4 year disappearing act only to re-emerge with multiple cards in the 80's again?
    Apparently Holmes-Norton was on both closed circuit and ABC. There is a version of Holmes-Norton floating around with Bob Sheridan calling it and I believe he has always done closed circuit/PPV. I also have a version of Ali-Spinks I that was called by a British commentator. I don't know if it was closed circuit or a satellite feed, though.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by JeffR
    Apparently Holmes-Norton was on both closed circuit and ABC. There is a version of Holmes-Norton floating around with Bob Sheridan calling it and I believe he has always done closed circuit/PPV. I also have a version of Ali-Spinks I that was called by a British commentator. I don't know if it was closed circuit or a satellite feed, though.
    Harry Carpenter is the British commentator who did a ton of Ali fights for the feed in Britain.

The Sheridan call for Holmes-Norton puzzles me as this fight was shown live on ABC with Cosell.

Administrator
    vCash

Duran-Leonard I was closed circuit -- I saw it at Shea Stadium.

Ali-norton I believe was live on ABC

Banned
    vCash

I have the Reel to Reel Film

Version of Holmes Norton with Sheridan's call and as much as I really have never cared for Col. Bob and as much as I have defended Cosell in the past with my beleif that his announcing made a fight feel bigger, Sheridan's call is INFINITELY more impressive and exciting.

Watch the 15th round back to back with both calls and Cosell almost seems bored as if he has something better to do or he would rather wax nostalgia about Norton. Sheridan on the other hand actually sounds perfect with his tendency to get over excited. He made the round sound even better than it probably was.

With Cosell calling it, I mute the sound. With Sheridan, I turn the volume up.

Sheridan worked directly for King and I assume that the reason there was an alternate call was possibly for overseas telecasts?

The live showing on ABC would make it very odd that there would also be a CC viewing of this. I have to think it was for Over Seas rights viewing.

It would be interesting if anyone knew for certain on this, or if any of our UK bretheren who possibily watched the fight at the time or on a next day delay, if they recall who was announcing the Holmes Norton fight.

I'd be very curious to hear from anyone on this who listened to the fight "live" back in 78' or on delay the following day.

Hawk

vCash

I'm pretty sure that almost all Sheridan calls for big fights involving King fighters have been apart of the overseas (non-U.S.) telecasts.

+ Reply to Thread