Home News Current Champs WAIL! Encyclopedia
The Cyber Boxing Zone Message Board
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Mike Quarry Vs Thomas Hearns

vCash

Mike Quarry Vs Thomas Hearns

The Foster World Title fight seems to be the pinnical of Mikes career in terms of desire and ambition, the devestating loss seemed to see him thereafter embark on the trailhorse route for the rest of his career, but i must say i was quite impressed with the then undefeated Mike's boxing ability - for three rounds and half rounds at least against the all time great Foster, As well as his smart boxing Mike also was not afraid to come in and exchage, albeit Foster was in Cruise mode waiting to strike, and of course strike he certainly did !

But how would this young ambitious Mike of done against Thomas Hearns, not so strong, hard hitting or resilient as Foster at Lightheavy, Hearns still could punch against a set target as he showed against Andries, and also could Box behind a long whiplash left Jab, So how would the Foster Version of Mike Quarry do against a Pale Clone of Foster in Hearns ? something of a tourist at Lightheavy ?

Could Smart boxing Mike pull this one off ?

vCash

Re: Mike Quarry Vs Thomas Hearns

I think so. He'd turn Tommy in there and just throw combos and move & be content to score points. But I have a real soft spot for those 35-0 5 ko type guys and just how difficult it is to beat them. And with Hearns being up there in the age department at lh, I don't think he handles the reflexes of youth with that particular kind of style.

Banned
    vCash

Which LH

Hearns are we taking here?

The one in 87 who beat Andries or the 1991 version who beat Hill?

Either way, I simply see Hearns looking to box with Quarry and When Tommy chooses to box, it's difficult to see him being outboxed.

Hill I see as a superior boxer to Quarry, could not do it with an aged Tommy.

I see Hearns realizing early that trying to go and take out Quarry is not working. So he opts to box him and out Quarry's Quarry over 15.

Hawk

vCash

Yes, the loss to Foster was a fight Quarry never recovered from. In fact I had Quarry winning the fight up to that point. Foster was not the boxer Hearns was. I think Hearns would have outboxed Quarry keeping him at the end of his jab. Hearns was the master at finding his range. Each round would be like the round before with Hearns outboxing Quarry. Plus Quarry did not have the power to worry Hearns. 15 round UD for the hit man.

vCash

i think mr.big has got this one right. mike simply could not break an egg. i always felt mike showed a lot more desire has a fighter than older bro jerry. had he had jerry's punch mike could have been an all timer. i just don't see him holding tommy off.

nice to see mike get some ink here tho.....

greg

vCash

Hearns @175 could still take guys out, but clearly this was not his best weight. Mike Quarry was an excellent boxer but didn't have enough pop to keep Hearns at bay. Hearns didn't punch at 175 like Foster, but few did. I am not sure if Hearns stops Quarry, but I feel that he would be the winner in perhaps a more competitive fight than meets the eye.

vCash

Quarry beats Hearns in an upset.That right just wouldn't work at Light Heavy, and Quarry takes advantage of that.

vCash

I like Tommy (what else?). I don't think Mike Q. brings enough to this party.

vCash

If I am not mistaken (and I may be) Quarry was having real problems with Jimmy DuPree before Jimmy was disqualified. Does anyone remember that one?

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Dino1
    If I am not mistaken (and I may be) Quarry was having real problems with Jimmy DuPree before Jimmy was disqualified. Does anyone remember that one?
    thats right. i was at that fight and it was a real home town job. jimmy dupree was a tough fighter and the then young quarry was not able to handle him. mike was cut by a punch and they stopped it claiming a head butt and saying mike was ahead on points , neither of which was true.

greg

vCash

Got to give this one to Tommy. If yo had a punch and went for the ko, Tommy would bang with you and you could ko him. But if you had no big punch I dont think you could trouble him. He had more legs at the heavy weights then at welter so I dont think Mike could wear him down. Hearns by dec.

vCash

Rocky

You don't think Quarry would turn him? That's what I see him doing. Being a cutie pie and turning him all night. Using those faster feet and fighting at 11 and mostly 1 o'clock. You are thinking that Hearns hook or right hand catches him because of that long reach?

vCash

I think the threat of Tommy's punching would force Mikie into a fight in which Tommy dictates. I could be wrong because Hearns had some weaknesses that could be exploited. I just dont think Mike could turn the trick with his lack of a big punch. Decision for Tommy with no ko. Tommy was not Bob Foster

vCash

Thanks.

It's a tightrope walk type fight for Quarry to win. No margin of error for sure and his pittypat punches are certainly not going to discourage Hearns whatsoever. He could fight Tommy 3x and never do as much as cut a lip. My take is he has to turn it into a footwork/angles fight and has to tire out the Hearns legs so maybe by the 8th round or so he has a little more leeway on that tightrope act. Tough guy to play that tightrope game for 36 minutes.

+ Reply to Thread