Home News Current Champs WAIL! Encyclopedia
The Cyber Boxing Zone Message Board
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Margarito-Mosely Results & Discussion Jan. 24/'09

vCash

Re: Margarito, Mosley and The Lineal Crown at 47

Mosley has never been much of a 'boxer' anyways Dig; he's always been too much fighter and at 37 that could be trouble.

vCash

Re: Margarito, Mosley and The Lineal Crown at 47

Margarito is going to retire Mosley in the 7th and from boxing. He is too hungry and has the firepower to back it up. Mosley will be back in there with Forest/Wright + Pryor.

Should be a can't miss for fight of the year nominie.

vCash

Re: Margarito vs. Mosley Predictions & Discussion

I don't expect Shane to do too much boxing and moving out there. I expect him to stand in with Margarito, and I think he can win that kinda fight. He's not a boxer, more of a fighter. I think he'll land the bigger shots all night and take advantage of his speed by beating Tony to the shot and countering him with bombs when Margarito does close in on him, letting his hands go with his head wide open.

Margarito needs that forward momentum. If Shane stands his ground, gets off first, and does some holding, I think he can screw up Tony's rhythm.

Cotto moved too much. Gave him too much respect, and the fact is, he doesn't take near the punch Mosley can.

Shane by close decision. The idea that no one can stand in with Tony... I don't buy it. Shane will do it. He'll throw some movement in there and potshot a little with lead left hooks and overhand rights, but he'll stand his ground more often than not.

Don't be fooled into putting everything into their last fight. They really don't have anything to do with this one. Big, QUICK boxers, give Shane the most trouble. Not big, slow offensive guys who want to rumble with him. We'll see if Marg brings the same intensity he brought for Cotto, or if he has lost something from the wars he has been in through the years.

Shane isn't at his best anymore, but he can win this fight.
    Last edited by prodigious1; 01-17-2009 at 02:58 PM.

vCash

I didn't want this fight to happen. At age 37, Margarito most likely will be too much for Mosley. However, Mosley is better conditioned, has a better chin, and is more durable than Cotto. Mosley can box and punch, 5-7 years ago I would favor Mosley, but if Mosley does some how win.....it wouldn't be that big an upset, maybe a mild upset. However, Roy Jones, Oscar, and some others have all went down recently, Mosley will most likely suffer a decision loss, but I will be rooting for Mosley.

vCash

To me. If Shane wins it would a huge, huge upset. Most people believe that Mayweather cannot beat Margarito. Williams I don't think could do it again.

Who can stop Antonio at his best? Mosley? The guy who went 12 hard rounds with Mayorga? Really Margarito is the most unbeatable fighter in the game. Him or Pacquiao. Take your pick. Mosley is walking into an all-time bout because of his heart and power, but he is walking into the worst match-up he could take.

He should have tried to make a Mayweather fight when he had the chance. Give me Margarito to make another statement towards his own greatness.

vCash

Shane will not outwork Tony, and may have a moment or two in this fight,
    but Tony's relentless pressure and body attack are going to be enough to
    wear down Shane, and put him in survival mode around round eight or so, then Tony gets an easy UD, I think with Tony's size and reach advantages this is a bad matchup for Shane at any age...

vCash

Shane will not last the distance. He can only fight one way moving forward, throwing one punch at a time. He's going to stand right in front of Antonio as long as he can before he's belted out. Margarito TKO 12.

vCash

There is no way in Hell Shane gets stopped. No chance. This is a 12 round fight if ever there was one.

Shane doesn't have to outwork Marg to beat him, either. He just has to land the bigger, showier shots, which he can do.

I seriously doubt Margarito ever hits 100 punches a round in there.

Administrator
    vCash

A lot of good opinions in here.

Mosley without a doubt has the ability to edge Margarito in a close fight but I just can't see it happening at 37. I have not seen enough from Mosley in recent years to suggest he doesn't eventually get run over by Margarito. It took 12 rounds to chop down Mayorga who is an easier target than Margarito and only had 1 punch to worry about. He went a full fight with Collazo who I think he would have KOd back in the day. Vargas was a spent corpse...so...

It will be a great fight but if Cotto cannot hurt Margarito, I can't see how Mosley will. I see the fight unfolding much the same way as Margarito-Cotto. Mosley will have his moments but I think he will ultimately be stopped. As Cliff said, he has always been too brave for his own good.

The blueprint to Margarito is to outwork him & and use physical advantages ala Williams, who I think will beat Margarito in the rematch.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by prodigious1
    There is no way in Hell Shane gets stopped. No chance. This is a 12 round fight if ever there was one.

Shane doesn't have to outwork Marg to beat him, either. He just has to land the bigger, showier shots, which he can do.

I seriously doubt Margarito ever hits 100 punches a round in there.
    Wanna bet on it? I didn't say Mosley will get knocked out, just said he will not make the distance. And I guarantee Mosely will get hit more than he's ever been hit before.HE doesn't have the reflexes to avoid anything anymore. He'll get hit on the tail end of Margarito's shots just as he did vs Forrest 1. Mosely has no jab, no footwork, cannot punch in volume and has lost alot of speed. He's a one punch at a time fighter who can't pull the trigger the way he used to. I like Mosely but he should have fought Margarita when he was a bit younger, rather than a shop worn 37yr old fighter.

Administrator
    vCash

I agree. His remaining accuracy, speed & reflexes is what kept him in the fight with Cotto.. a smaller guy with not the greatest mobility. Mosley in his prime never really "utilized" a great defense other than his offense. He fell in love with his power from BALCO lifting & the rest was history. I can't tell you how many people I knew in LA who heard Mosley brag about benching over 315.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by evander
    Wanna bet on it?
    Money? No. But if you're right I'll give you props for calling it. Mosley won't be getting stopped.
    Last edited by prodigious1; 01-18-2009 at 09:21 PM.

vCash

This will be a hell of a fan fight. Mosley will fight his heart out, he always has. In a fight laced with heated exchanges I would expect a distance win for the big guy. Does this fight do Mosley any good, win or lose? He's a fighter, it's what he does.

vCash

Getting back to the original thread header: I like Margarito big in this one. He has momentum in his favor, is physically at the top of his game--with no artificial ingredients, either, and is in no danger whatsoever of Shane hurting him, regardless of how many shots he takes to the mush (and he'll take plenty the first four or five stanzas).

While keeping his father out of the corner for this one is a good idea, Shane--at 37 years of age--is too set in his ways to have the capacity to learn anything from Nazim during training camp. But at least he'll have someone in his corner to throw some strategies at him, something Jack Mosley was simply derelict in as chief second in Shane's losses to Wright (1st), Forrest and Cotto.

Shane's body is going to betray him in this one, as he'll jump out in front, boxing smartly and keeping away from Margarito's power. By the mid-rounds Shane's legs are going to stop moving, allowing Antonio to get inside him and rough him up. It gets uglier from there as both guys will start clinching, butting, and trading inside with Shane getting the worst of it all.

Shane, champion's heart aside, will not be coming out of his corner for the 12th round.

Now remember, I haven't picked a winner in an important fight since Kenny Norton walloped Bobick in the Adam's Apple at the Garden. So go heavy in the other direction and thank me later.

Kyoodle

vCash

I'm going with Mosley in this fight. He's going to out work and out punch Marganito . It's just going to be one bomb at a time for A.M. Plus Cotto would have won if he just tie up Margarito on the inside. Mosley will not make that same mistake. 12 UD for Mosley.

vCash

I just can't see Shane winning this fight and in many ways I have no favourite in this fight just like the Margaritto Cotto fight. Supplements aside I will never dislike Shane as a fighter and I just love Margaritto's hard working style and attitude.

I wouldn't be shocked for Mosley to find a way to win, but I am concerned for his health and think that Margaritto stops him at some point after 8 rounds.

That said best of luck Shane!

vCash

I just can see Mosely's one bomb at a time boxing working against Margarito. He is no volume puncher and I, like others don't think his legs will hold up in this one. I can see a late stoppage again for Margarito in this one.

I Like Shane, but Margarito has been my favourite fighter for years now. I hope Shane walks awaay from this one healthy.

vCash

I think Shane can do well here. I like Marg; but he is very beatable and very methodical and predictable. I think his style suits Mosley. I know a peak Mosley does it; but can an aging Mosley do it? I am worried that the older Mosley will only be able to fight in round spurts and will not be able to maintain enough offense to win. But clever tactics, his chin and his heavier hitting (Cotto) may see Mosley win this.

I am going to call a Mosley points win here!

vCash

I see Margarito giving Shane trouble at anytime in his career. Too much constant pressure on a guys whose best wins at welterweight were against a guy who faded late. Margarito will not fade, is bigger and stronger as well.

There was a reason why he never fought him befpre IMO.

vCash

I wrote a 2 part analysis for my blog, designed to present a case for a Mosley victory. You can check it out at theboxingbulletin.blogspot.com if you have some time. It's a very interesting fight. Tony doesn't have all his usual advantages for this one. Size, strength, toughness are a wash, in my opinion. Shane has the athletic advantage, while Tony will be throwing more shots.

Can't wait!
    Last edited by prodigious1; 01-20-2009 at 05:59 AM.

vCash

Nice Blog Lee! Very impressive page, liked it enough to put in my favorites to check your future articles. I recommend everyone here on the zone to check it out.
    Gary

vCash

Thanks, man. Glad you enjoyed it.

If anyone is wondering, I still like Shane to gut it out.

vCash

Yeah Prod; blog looks good.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by prodigious1
    Thanks, man. Glad you enjoyed it.

If anyone is wondering, I still like Shane to gut it out.
    Me and you both bro. I see Mosley jumping in landing combos then move out of harms way. Tying up A.M. on the inside is the key. Plus A.M. is sooooooo slow. If he threw a punch today it might hit Mosley by Saturday. Mosley by 12 UD.

Administrator
    vCash

Wow, I'm starting to wonder if everyone saw the same Mosely I saw that lost to Cotto...
    How he would do better against Margarito, I still can't see it.
    Cotto punches harder no or am I crazy?

vCash

Cotto has things that Margarito doesn't have, like quick hands and feet. He's also not as wide open. He really kept his hands high vs Shane.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by diggity
    Wow, I'm starting to wonder if everyone saw the same Mosely I saw that lost to Cotto...
    How he would do better against Margarito, I still can't see it.
    Cotto punches harder no or am I crazy?
    Cotto is also 3 times faster than A.M. When Cotto had Margarito in the center of the ring he made him his bitch. Only when A.M. caught Cotto against the rope was he able to land big shots. If Cotto had tie A.M. up along the rope waiting for the ref to break them then move back to the center of the ring. If he had done that Cotto wins easy. Mosley will not make the same mistake. In order for Margarito to win in the center of the ring he would have to outbox Mosley and thats not going to happen.

vCash

One more thing if I may. With all the shit fights on PPV I can't believe this one is on HBO.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by mrbig1
    Cotto is also 3 times faster than A.M. When Cotto had Margarito in the center of the ring he made him his bitch. Only when A.M. caught Cotto against the rope was he able to land big shots. If Cotto had tie A.M. up along the rope waiting for the ref to break them then move back to the center of the ring. If he had done that Cotto wins easy. Mosley will not make the same mistake. In order for Margarito to win in the center of the ring he would have to outbox Mosley and thats not going to happen.
    No one ever made Marg their bitch...and he never caught Cotto against the ropes., He put him there with constant pressure.

Administrator
    vCash

I'm still looking for proof that Mosley can do something different than Cotto did. All I can see is that he has better stamina than Cotto but more of a propensity to trade when he doesn't need to than Cotto. The 2 kind of cancel each other out IMO?

The closest thing to taming Margarito was Williams with reach & workrate, maybe Santos with good tactical movement & accurate counterpunching...
    Margarito was never anyone's bitch.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast