Home News Current Champs WAIL! Encyclopedia
The Cyber Boxing Zone Message Board
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Povetkin-Dimitrenko coming

Administrator
    vCash

Povetkin-Dimitrenko coming

from fightnews.com

Current IBF mandatory challenger Alexander Povetkin (17-0, 12 KOs) scored a hard-fought ten-round unanimous decision over Jason Estrada (15-2, 3 KOs) on Saturday night at the Burg-Wächter Castello in Düsseldorf, Germany. Next up could be a fight for the European title between Povetkin and Universum heavyweight Alexander Dimitrenko (29-0, 19 KOs). A purse bid for this battle will be held on April 21. The winner will be named the double mandatory challenger for WBO/IBF/IBO champion Wladimir Klitschko (52-3, 46 KOs).
    What can you say about the performance of Povetkin?
    “Povetkin didn’t impress me in that fight. He didn’t have a good fight. Many others see it the same way as I do.“
    What wasn’t good about it?
    “It wasn’t on a world class level. He still has to train much more if he wants to fight for the world title. He had problems from the very beginning although his opponent was a no-name fighter. When Estrada got tired by the end Povetkin still couldn’t knock him out. That has surprised me. His opponent was much smaller than him and I believe if he wants to fight against Wladimir Klitschko he should face taller fighters like me.“
    The purse bid for the Euro title clash is on April 21?
    “Yes, that’s correct. But I’m hoping that he won’t avoid me and fight other opponents in order to challenge Wladimir in a world title fight. The EBU has made this decision for the fight. Povetkin provoked Klitschko verbally but he has to prove his quality inside the ring. He has this chance when he fights me I’m ready. My trainer Fritz Sdunek and I have taken a close look into the fight.“

Administrator
    vCash

Re: Povetkin-Dimitrenko coming

For the sake of seeing both of these fighters grow and getting continued success, I was hoping this showdown would be a little further down the line.

I think Dimitrenko will win a tough but convincing fight. I am surprised more writers arent talking about this kid. You should see the crap that made it into Dan Rafael's most recent top 10 heavies with absolutely no mention of Dimitrenko. I am fairly certain Dimitrenko would beat half the people in his list.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by diggity
    For the sake of seeing both of these fighters grow and getting continued success, I was hoping this showdown would be a little further down the line.

I think Dimitrenko will win a tough but convincing fight. I am surprised more writers arent talking about this kid. You should see the crap that made it into Dan Rafael's most recent top 10 heavies with absolutely no mention of Dimitrenko. I am fairly certain Dimitrenko would beat half the people in his list.
    Maybe b/c he struggled with Derrick Rossy and a past-it Timo Hoffman (and went down from a body shot from DANNY BATCHELEDER that was bogusly called a low blow) Povetkin will annihiliate him if this fight takes place.

Administrator
    vCash

Really? Annihilate? Have you watched Dimitrenko's fights other than his lowlights? He is extremely athletic & busy for someone that big. Povetkin does have the superior competition and maybe an overall better package and that will certainly play a factor but annihilate? I don't see it.

Dimitrenko may make his fights harder than they should be but he is improving each time out & I see his power is better than Povetkin's. Dimitrenko's downside is that he likes to fight inside. He is actually pretty good at it but for someone that big, he gives up some advantages in doing so.

Maybe I'm going out on a limb by picking Dimitrenko but I have my doubts how game Povetkin will be with someone that big, strong & who can be as busy as him. I have seen Dimitrenko take some pretty nasty shots and survive, whereas I have not seen Povetkin in that kind of danger at all (to his credit or course).

Call me crazy but I see it as one of the better matchups out there.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by diggity
    Really? Annihilate? Have you watched Dimitrenko's fights other than his lowlights? He is extremely athletic & busy for someone that big. Povetkin does have the superior competition and maybe an overall better package and that will certainly play a factor but annihilate? I don't see it.

Dimitrenko may make his fights harder than they should be but he is improving each time out & I see his power is better than Povetkin's. Dimitrenko's downside is that he likes to fight inside. He is actually pretty good at it but for someone that big, he gives up some advantages in doing so.

Maybe I'm going out on a limb by picking Dimitrenko but I have my doubts how game Povetkin will be with someone that big, strong & who can be as busy as him. I have seen Dimitrenko take some pretty nasty shots and survive, whereas I have not seen Povetkin in that kind of danger at all (to his credit or course).

Call me crazy but I see it as one of the better matchups out there.
    I think Alexander could trouble Povetkin early but once the Russian gets warmed up he'll eat Dimitrenko up. The Ukranian backs straight up from shots, which is what led to the knockdown vs Hoffman, and he gives up his size way too much (something his countrymen the Klitschkos do not do) Even from the distance he was getting outjabbed by the much shorter Krasniqi before the kidney shot out of nowhere. I haven't seen him deal well with guys who bring pressure at all, he often resorts to fouling to get out of trouble. Povetkin will bring smart pressure and really work over Dimitrenko's body. He might have some moments but I don't see Dimitrenko lasting the distance.

Administrator
    vCash

Maybe my memory is kinder to him than what it should be....
    I'll be reviewing his past 4 or 5 fights over the weekend now out of curiousity.

vCash

they r just a couple a doofy eurostiffs ready for the heavywt compost heap
    that one dood is tall tho!
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------

+ Reply to Thread