Home News Current Champs WAIL! Encyclopedia
The Cyber Boxing Zone Message Board
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Greatest Baseball Swings

vCash

Re: Greatest Baseball Swings

I got it TKO. It was Rusty Staub. He hit his first at 19 and his last at 41!

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by mrbig1
    I got it TKO. It was Rusty Staub. He hit his first at 19 and his last at 41!
    Ding, ding, ding...!!!

How about their nicknames?

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Frank
    I don't think it was either, sorry if I offended. I didn't mean to. I was disagreeing, which I thought we are allowed to do.
    And we all are allowed to do that Michael and I can respect that but there is often just something in your tone that tends to grate on folks and I don't think I'm the only one that sees this.
    No need to apologize. If I might be allowed to revisit our acting conversation some time ago, I still find your opinion that Olivier & March would be unable to find acting jobs in today's market to be perhaps THE most ludicrous statement I have EVER heard and you can throw your Stella Adler/Lee Strasburg theories out there until the cows come home.

Now, let's go to our respective corners for water and cut medicine...

vCash

The Georgia Peach and la Grande Orange?

Never would have though of Staub. Not exactly a guy who come to mind when you think of HR longevity.

I just checked baseball-reference and am now 100% sure that Sheffield hit homers in his teens and 40s, so that list can be made to include 3 names.....

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by TKO11
    Vandermeer's 'record' was almost tied in 1988 (I think) by my all-time favorite pitcher, Dave Stieb. He had no hitters broken up with 2 out in the ninth in back-to-back starts.
    in 1947, Ewell Blackwell went into the ninth inning against the Brooklyn Dodgerw with a no-hitter after pitching one in his previous start against the Boston Braves. with one out, Eddie Stanky broke up Blackwell's bid for a second no-no with a single. ironically, Blackwell was trying for two no-hitters agianst the same two teams that Vandermeer had pitched against in 1938.

here's a question: in Vandermeer's third start who got the first hit off him? clue: a little known former batting NL batting champion.

vCash

Debs Garms.

And yes, I totally cheated to discover that one. Looked up the reds 1938 schedule and saw that his next start would have come agains tthe Boston Bees (aka the Braves). Then pulled up their 1938 roster. Garms is the only batting champion I spotted on it. So I googled "Debs Garms" "Johnny Vandermeer" and there was a Wiki page stating that Garms broke up Vandermeer's streak of hitless innings in 1938.

I can't take much credit for coming up with that one.

vCash

Here's one that I've thought about sporadically for years. What player holds the records for most home runs in their FINAL season in baseball?

I don't know if the guy I've always had in mind is correct, but Dave Kingman hit 35 homers for the A's in his last season, and nobody picked him up because his average was so bad and his strikeouts were so high. Anyone hit more in their last season?

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Counter Jab
    If I might be allowed to revisit our acting conversation some time ago, I still find your opinion that Olivier & March would be unable to find acting jobs in today's market to be perhaps THE most ludicrous statement I have EVER heard and you can throw your Stella Adler/Lee Strasburg theories out there until the cows come home.
    I never said anything like this in that thread.

You have me confused with another poster.

vCash

Rusty Staub once led the NL in doubles. Asked by fellow Mets broadcaster Ralph Kiner about that, Staub commented that due to his lack of speed, a number of them really should have been triples!

vCash

I don't see anyone touching Joe D's 56 game hitting streak. That maybe a unbreakable record.

vCash

I know this is a baseball thread, but the all time great crickit batsman Dopn Bradman had an international test batting average of 99.4%. The next highest being 60%. Along with Bobby Orr's +124 in 1971, it is one stat that I am sure will never be broken.

vCash

Debs Garms.

And yes, I totally cheated to discover that one. Looked up the reds 1938 schedule and saw that his next start would have come agains tthe Boston Bees (aka the Braves). Then pulled up their 1938 roster. Garms is the only batting champion I spotted on it. So I googled "Debs Garms" "Johnny Vandermeer" and there was a Wiki page stating that Garms broke up Vandermeer's streak of hitless innings in 1938.

I can't take much credit for coming up with that one.
    good one! no matter how you got it, it'll still look like a line drive in the scorebook.

vCash

I never said anything like this in that thread.

You have me confused with another poster.
    My apologies Michael.

vCash

I just checked baseball-reference and am now 100% sure that Sheffield hit homers in his teens and 40s, so that list can be made to include 3 names.....
    Yes, you are correct and have now ruined my cool trivia question you well o' wisdom you...
    He joined the club THIS season...

vCash

Rusty Staub once led the NL in doubles. Asked by fellow Mets broadcaster Ralph Kiner about that, Staub commented that due to his lack of speed, a number of them really should have been triples!
    I once saw Staub hit a sharp one-hop shot to right field and get thrown out at first!

vCash

I'm a busy boy this morning, better get to balancin' dem' books soon...

What do Ken Griffey, Sparky Anderson, Tom Seaver, & Babe Ruth all have in common?

And one more. Since 1931 what player holds the record for most runs scored in a season with 152!
    (tho Ricky Henderson scored 146 one year missing virtually the entire month of April)

vCash

In 1936, Lou Gehrig scored 167 runs.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Sharkey
    In 1936, Lou Gehrig scored 167 runs.
    All right, so my research is a tad lazy this AM. Rephrase my question to read: ...since 1936 (not 1931)......

vCash

My initial guess would have been Henderson. I know Alomar had a real good year, but I remember talk about someone in 1999, or 2000. I give up.

vCash

Bags.

vCash

Bags.. 2000... then next I think would be DiMaggio?

1938 or 1937 he had 151 or 152... I think

vCash

Chuck Klein had a year with 152 I think, but Ithink it was before Gehrig's 167 year..

vCash

Compare Joe DiMaggio's lifetime on-base percentage with that of Babe Ruth or Ted Williams. In other words, DiMaggio was great, but he wasn't nearly as good a hitter as Ruth or Williams.

- Chuck Johnston

vCash

I'm a busy boy this morning, better get to balancin' dem' books soon...

What do Ken Griffey, Sparky Anderson, Tom Seaver, & Babe Ruth all have in common?
    Each has the first name "George"?

vCash

Without googling I doubt this one can be answered by any but the whackiest:

Who are the only two players in history to hit for the cycle more than twice... and with 3 each are the all time leaders in this category?

vCash

My apologies Michael.
    No prob, Counter.

Re: another point you made, I, too, saw Staub thrown out at first on a hit to RF while he was with the Mets. But he was such a good hitter and valuable player, I loved the guy anyway. He became a terrific pinch hitter at the end of his career, very dependable.

vCash

this falls under the category of "you have to be pretty good to lose twenty games:"

in 1991, Rob Deer came within four strikeouts of matching his batting average. he struck out 175 times while hitting .179 in 134 games.

vCash

Chuck - I don't think anyone in this thread has come close to suggesting that Dimaggio was a better hitter than Ruth or Williams. What I have said, many times, is that he was a better BASEBALL player than both of them. In the case of both Williams and ruth, they out did Joe when dug into the batter's box. Joe outdid them everywhere on that field except the batter's box.

Didn't google, but aren't there three guys that hit for the cycle three times? Babe Herman is the only one that comes to mind. I would have to google the other two.....

vCash

Bob Meusel.

John Reilly of Cincinnati did it in the pre-modern day.. so he could count as well as a 3rd. (he hit 69 career homers which is nothing to sneeze at back then)

vCash

Chuck - I don't think anyone in this thread has come close to suggesting that Dimaggio was a better hitter than Ruth or Williams. What I have said, many times, is that he was a better BASEBALL player than both of them. In the case of both Williams and ruth, they out did Joe when dug into the batter's box. Joe outdid them everywhere on that field except the batter's box.

Didn't google, but aren't there three guys that hit for the cycle three times? Babe Herman is the only one that comes to mind. I would have to google the other two.....
    Your killing me again TKO. I got to know.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast