Home News Current Champs WAIL! Encyclopedia
The Cyber Boxing Zone Message Board
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Wildest Flicks EVER!

PeteLeo

Wildest Flicks EVER!

I just saw a DVD that was almost beyond belief.
    It's called BLOOD FREAK, it came out in '73, and -- get this, now -- it's a fundamentalist Christian gore film. I'm not kidding, it was bankrolled and produced by church groups in an effort to scare kids away from drugs. A 'cycle-riding drifter (Steve Hawkes, a big dude who played Tarzan in some Euro movies and who has the hugest hands I've seen since Sonny Liston) changes the flat tire of a mini-skirt wearing "good girl" and is invited back to her pad for a Coke, only to fall in with the good girl's "bad" sister (she smokes weed -- and she's gorgeous) and find himself seduced into her lifestyle of dope and illicit sex.
    This actually is a pretty good set-up in my view, but the Cycle Dude takes a job on a turkey farm which requires that he act as a guinea pig for the mad scientists who are trying to develop a drug that will . . . do something or other to the birds they're growing there. Between smoking pot and eating an entire turkey that's oozing a mysterious new chemical, the Dude finds himself getting a little sleepy and collapses on the farm grounds before going into convulsions. The m. scientists discover him jitterbugging like Ted Bundy in Old Sparky, and, displaying their true colors, they drag him off into the woods so they won't be connected with what they figure to be his imminent croaking.
    Dude wakes up in the woods craving weed and (I kid you not) now sporting a giant turkey head in place of his own. He even gobbles when he tries to speak! But he's still got them gi-normous hands and bulging biceps and he's pretty blamed pissed off (you'd better believe it). He finds the Bad girl and rapes her (in the dark, so we don't get to see anything) before going on a rampage of locating other bad girls who seem to be congregating within a four block radius of the house, crushing their throats, hanging them upside-down, cutting their throats, and drinking their blood. This is shown with all of the gushing crimson of a Hershel Gordon Lewis gore flick (2000 THOUSAND MANIACS, THE GORE-GORE GIRLS, BLOOD FEAST, and others). In fact, Dude's name in the film is "Hershell," so maybe there's a subtle tribute being paid there?
    Dude kills half a dozen folks and grabs a limping drug dealer and uses a table saw to slice off the poor guy's lower leg. This is shown without cutting away and in loving detail (it's accomplished by employing a real amuptee, of course, but it's an unexpected and surprisingly effective trick in a low budget movie from this long ago). Finally Dude is wounded by one of his victims and, weakened and tired of being able to say nothing other than "gobble-gobble," he drops to his knees, clasps his hands, and emplores the Lord to remove him from this unbearable existence. This is also the exact moment that two of the Bad Girl's hippy friends creep up behind the monster turkey doper and decapitate him with an ax. An actual scene of a live turkey having its head cut off and then flapping about in its death throes is inserted here for . . . emphasis?
    After building up all of this crazed madness to its credit, BLOOD FREAK goes and ruins the denouement with one of the oldest tricks in the cinematic textbook (remember the end of THE WIZARD OF OZ?), but we're still left with a supposed Christian film designed to be shown at churches throughout the nation that is filled with explicit violence, several "bastards" and one "asshole," real live babes in minis and bikinis, unmarried people having conjugal relations, rape, dismemberments, splashing blood, and -- as far as I know -- the world's only turkey-headed, plasma-gulping, weed-sucking hero/monster/victim.
    It's a baaadddd flick, but it's also amazing. Absolutely amazing.
    If you're looking for something different to watch tonight, track down a copy of BLOOD FREAK. I don't think you'll be disappointed (just keep telling yourself: "it's only a movie, it's only a movie . . . it's only a movie made to be shown to unsuspecting little church kids who will swallow their own tongues in both fright and lust"). PeteLeo.

DscribeDC

SALO: THE 120 DAYS OF SODOM by Pier Paolo Pasolini.

Sickest film ever. You have been warned.

PeteLeo

Wildy-Wild-Wild

FORBIDDEN ZONE (1980).
    Herve Villchaize as the randy king of a world as crazy as any ever drawn in a Max Fleischer cartoon, a world accessible through your cellar door, and Susan Tyrrell as the snearing, cursing, wise-cracking, meat-eating but somehow incredibly sexy queen who would make you sit up and beg like a dog even while having you tortured to death.
    And it's a musical!
    Wild, weird, incomprehensible, racist, sexist, eerie, yet strangely unforgettable mishmosh that's unlike most everything else in the genre (if it can be confined to one genre). This thing can be attributed to the Brothers Elfman (Richard and Danny). See it.
    PeteLeo.

PeteLeo

Re: Wildy-Wild-Wild

Just a quick observation: an entertainment columnist in the Atlanta Constitution/Journal last week nominated his Top Ten Biggest Turkeys (Movies) for Thanksgiving viewing, and his number one selection was none other than BLOOD FREAK. I guess I'm not the only person who's seen this psychedelic celluloid masterpiece and retained enough of his sanity to remember it.
    If you get a chance to watch it and are confident in your mental stability, go for it. You'll see the turkeys finally getting some back. PeteLeo.

DscribeDC

Re: Wildy-Wild-Wild

My English friends just sent me the remastered, repackaged, deluxe edition of SALO. I can't wait to watch it again!

TKO11

Pete

Can it really compare with "I Spit On Your Grave" for sheer reckless and gory weirdness? I always thought that movie was the most out-there freakshow of all time. I saw it when I was 17 and with a few buddies, and the bathtub scene in particular left all of us writhing in our seats. In fact, I'm feeling a bit squirmy now just thinking about it.

DscribeDC

Re: Pete

For sheer sadism and weirdness, the grindhouse has been replaced by the arthouse. Gaspar Noe's IRREVERSIBLE is about ten times worse and more graphic than I SPIT ON YOUR GRAVE. Makes that film look like a comedy.

Hey, I just had an idea. A movie about a homicidal school chef, called I SPIT IN YOUR GRAVY. Who wants to be my financial backer?

TKO11

DScribe

Given the state of modern movies, it sounds like a can't miss.

Steve McV

Re: DScribe

ROTFLMAO!!!!!

Steve Coughlin

El Topo

You haven't been truly confused until you see this one. Back in the early '80s, I saw a review that said "El Topo" was a must see if you were a fan of violent Westerns like "The Wild Bunch" and "A Fist Full of Dollars". I got a few buddies together and we went to the midnight show, which was the only showing in Chicago. Had the MMPA rating been around then, it would have received an NC 17 for sure. Words can't describe this movie but it is one of the most interesting & violent films I've seen, and this is coming from a HUGE "Dawn of the Dead" fan.

Irishlad69

El topo.

El topo was a study in accessible sanity compared to jodorowky's later work 'the holy mountain'. This bizarre outing begins with a qausi-christlike figure (yep, just like el topo) lying on a desert floor with his face completely covered in flies. The prone figure proceeds to urinate on to a pack of tarot cards, alerting a legless dwarf and a group of naked children to his peril.
    The film then morphs into dreamlike visual mess involving, cow carcasses, worm eaten bibles, comically dressed alchemists, hippos, forbidden towers, obese roman legionaries, incest, lacitating old men, trees full of slaughtered chickens, immolation, and cadavers vomting doves! Quite a spectacle.

DscribeDC

Re: El topo.

SANTA SANGRE was neat, too. Hey, so shoot me, I love that kind of thing.

Steve Coughlin

Re: El topo.

Irishlad,

I saw Holy Mountain too ... it was billed here in Chicago as the sequel to El Topo. Not sure if it was but it did seem that way. Mountain didn't hit me quite as hard as El Topo though. Kind of like fighting Terry Norris after facing Julian Jackson or John Mugabi. Sure it hurt, but after that first one I didn't have much left...

Irishlad69

Dscribe

You should check out the films of jan svankmajer. He uses animation figrines, and marionettes, and is alot more linear and critically acclaimed than any of jodorowsky's pretensious, overripe eye-candy. His most notable work was a surreal twist of the goethe/marlowe classic faust. It was shortlisted for cannes in 94. It didnt win, but was one of the few ever strictly avante garde venture to punch a hole in the mainstream.

Irishlad69

Steve.

I actually felt the same about it. It was very visual, yet but strangely tiresome. After watching both it and el topo, i came to the conclusion that jodorowsky's cult status may lie in a meaningless pap that that has little value beyond a faint hint of black humour and very to be taken seriously.

DscribeDC

Re: Steve.

Hmmm, so that's who he is...I always wondered what the Quay Bros. "Cabinet of Jan Svankmajer" was about...

I saw THE HOLY MOUNTAIN in an art theater in Berlin. I especially enjoyed the "kunstfabrik" scene where the guy rubbed paint on his buttocks and made assembly-line art by sitting on canvases.

jyoungfan2

Re: kung fu hustle

Not the wildest flick ever, but damn entertaining. not what I expected. unlike any kung fu film ever made. action, comedy, good story, a suprisingly funny, wild flick. definitly worth a rental. "Kung Fu Hustle"

+ Reply to Thread