Home News Current Champs WAIL! Encyclopedia
The Cyber Boxing Zone Message Board
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Sam Langford Vs. Joe Frazier

Banned
    vCash

Sam Langford Vs. Joe Frazier

If Sam could hang with (and often beat) 200lbers. like Johnson and Wills, he should be able to deal with a Frazier in shape for Ali (first fight), at about 205, right? And the other physical dimensions wouldn't be as lopsided against Langford as he tended to face over latter part of his career.

So, would this be a good, realistically competitive match, or would the "modern" guy simply have too much of an advantage in technique and training?

Or would Langford show us all why the name of a never-champion from a hundred years ago still rings in the true fight fan's ears?

Who wins and how? PeteLeo.
    Last edited by PeteLeo; 07-09-2009 at 01:21 AM.

vCash

Re: Sam Langford Vs. Joe Frazier

Quote Originally Posted by PeteLeo
    If Sam could hang with (and often beat) 200lbers. like Johnson and Wills, he should be able to deal with a Frazier in shape for Ali (first fight), at about 205, right? And the other physical dimensions wouldn't be as lopsided against Langford as he tended to face over latter part of his career.

So, would this be a good, realisitically competitive match, or would the "modern" guy simply have too much of an advantage in technique and training?

Or would Langford show us all why the name of a never-champion from a hundred years ago still rings in the true fight fan's ears?

Who wins and how? PeteLeo.
    Although I think Langford was a better fighter PFP than Frazier, at heavyweight I think Frazier was too strong. Frazier wins by late stoppage.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Elwill7847
    Although I think Langford was a better fighter PFP than Frazier, at heavyweight I think Frazier was too strong. Frazier wins by late stoppage.
    I have to agree sir.

vCash

Love Joe Frazier, he was the real Rocky Balboa. Langford one the greatest punchers of all-time and fighters of all time. Frazier was a slow starter, that would be dangerous against Langford. Langford kayoed men far bigger than Frazier. Sam McVey and George Godfrey were good punchers as well as strong men. Langford would be dangerous against several champs. If Langford could land pinpoint bombs like Oscar B. or Foreman.....then he could kayo or stop Frazier. It could go either way, but I would not count out Langford. He has over 100 kayos for a reason.

vCash

This fight is won in the trenches! Joes relentless assult should give Sam fits ,but Langford has seen every stiyle imaginable .this I dare say would be ablood bath . I wouldn't be suprized if both pugs get off the canvas . A DRAW! That way I watch the REMATCH!!!!!!!

vCash

From a P4P viewpoint I am sure most would rate Langford a few places above Frazier but a head to head match is a slightly different matter, as we all know.

Langfords best chance would be to get to Joe Frazier early, as already stated Frazier was a slow starter. Having said that, sure Frazier was stunned by Ali early in their rematch, Ringo dropped him early which would suggest that a lethal shrpshooter like Langford would be very dangerous for the first 3/4 rounds. But I don't include the first Foreman loss because Frazier was not in peak shape and Langford was not the physical freak Big George was and would employ different tactics, i.e. not shove Frazier back and just steamroller him into th canvas.

Anyway if the Frazier of the first Ali fight gets through the early stages unscathed, the bobbing, weaving, snorting, grunting Philly wrecking machine puts too much pressure on Langford and outworks him over 15 bloody, bruising rounds to take it on points.

(I know a lot of the old-timers felt that Langford had the perfect style to beat Dempsey, so I guess they would feel the same about Frazier?)

+ Reply to Thread