Home News Current Champs WAIL! Encyclopedia
The Cyber Boxing Zone Message Board
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: R.I.P. Arturo Gatti

vCash

R.I.P. Arturo Gatti

so their saying on boxing boards and the web, somewhere in Brazil (???).

God Bless if it's true.

vCash

vCash

MANAGING EDITOR-IN-CHIEF
    In an undisclosed bunker deep in the weird, wild, woods of the Pacific Northwest
    vCash

Re: Arturo Gatti dead...

Jesus, Harry, Truman, Christ! They've been dropping like flies in the last week or so, McMahon, Farah, Karl Malden, Billy Mays, MJ, Arguello, McNair & now Gatti.

Too Much!

It seems like almost whatever you like someone you were into died in the last week....

GorDoom

vCash

Re: R.I.P. Arturo Gatti

This is too bizzare!

RIP if true.

Not wishing in anyway to make light of this tragic news but 2 minutes ago I just finished watching the final episode of The Shield and came on here to stop my head from spinning and read this!!!!!

vCash

Administrator
    vCash

wow that is terrible

vCash

How much more of this s**t do we gotta take??

vCash

Former boxing champ Gatti of Montreal found dead in BrazilBy THE ASSOCIATED PRESS – SAO PAULO — Officials say former world boxing champion Arturo Gatti has been found dead in a hotel room in northeastern Brazil.A spokeswoman for the public safety department of Pernambuco state says the body of the former junior welterweight champ from Montreal was discovered on Saturday morning in the posh seaside resort of Porto de Galinhas, where he arrived on Friday with his wife and one-year-old son.She said it was unclear how the 37-year-old Canadian died."There were no bullet or stab wounds on his body, but police did find blood stains on the floor," she said, adding that his wife and son were unhurt.The spokeswoman, who did not provide further details, declined to be identified because she was not authorized to comment on the case.

vCash

this one hits very hard.

my son just handed me his laptop with the story from sao paulo.

nobody is immune to the reaper but arturo was just too young.

RIP champ. you will be missed.

greg

MANAGING EDITOR-IN-CHIEF
    In an undisclosed bunker deep in the weird, wild, woods of the Pacific Northwest
    vCash

Name: Arturo Gatti
    Alias: Thunder
    Nationality: Canadian
    Birthplace: Montreal, QC, Canada
    Hometown: Jersey City, New Jersey, USA
    Born: 1972-04-15
    Died: 2009-07-11
    Age at Death: 37
    Stance: Orthodox
    Height: 5′ 7˝″
    Reach: 178
    Manager: Pat Lynch
    Trainers: James (Buddy) McGirt and Mickey Ward (current)

Considered as one the most exciting fighters the boxing game has ever produced, Arturo Gatti is one of the most recognized fighters today. Gatti has been involved in four Ring Magazine Fight of the Year bouts. Gatti won the IBF 130 lb title against Tracy Harris Patterson in 1995. He defended his belt three times before relinquising the title to move to 135 pounds. It was at that weight where Gatti lost to Angel Manfredy and Ivan Robinson in three consecutive fights. Some people called for his retirement after losing three in a row, and not winning a single fight in 1998. However Gatti roared back, and in 1999 and 2000 he ran up a string of victories before fighting Oscar De La Hoya.
    Gatti lost handily to De La Hoya, but his courage was shown by refusing to quit and fighting on, after being dropped in the first round. A few fights later Gatti would engage in a three fight trilogy with Micky Ward, which is seen to be one of the best trilogies in the history of the sport. After the trilogy, Gatti was ranked number one contender by the WBC in the light welterweight class, and a fight was scheduled for the vacant title against Gianluca Branco. Gatti won the fight, and became a two-time champion, something many felt he would never be able to accomplish.
    Gatti then stopped Leonard Dorin, who had never been knocked out before. He followed this with a victory over former champion Jesse James Leija. Finally a fight was set up between Gatti and the highly regarded Floyd Mayweather Jr., in June of 2005. Gatti lost the fight and was completely dominated, and stopped. As of September 2005, he has announced he will campaign at welterweight in the future. On July 22, 2006, Gatti lost to Carlos Manuel Baldomir by a ninth round stoppage in his bid to win the WBC welterweight title.
    Death

Gatti was found deceased at 6am on July 11th, 2009 while on his second honeymoon in Porto de Galinhas, Brazil. He was found in his underwear, with blood stains on his neck and the back of his head. He was scheduled to testify in a trial in New York a few days later in a lawsuit filed against the New York State Athletic Commission by former opponent Joey Gamache. Foul play is suspected.[1]
    Comments

Ring Magazine Fight of the Year: 1997 (W KO5 Gabriel Ruelas), 1998 (L 10 Ivan Robinson), 2002 (L 10 Micky Ward), 2003 (W 10 Micky Ward)
    Ring Magazine Knockout of the Year: 1997 (W KO5 Gabriel Ruelas)
    Ring Magazine Upset of the Year: 1998 (L 10 Ivan Robinson)
    Named The Ring magazine Comeback of the Year fighter for 2002.

Preceded by:
    Tracy Harris Patterson IBF Super Featherweight Champion
    1995 Dec 15 – 1998 Mar 13
    Vacated Succeeded by:
    Roberto Garcia
    Preceded by:
    Kostya Tszyu
    Stripped WBC Light Welterweight Champion
    2004 Jan 24 – 2005 Jun 25 Succeeded by:
    Floyd Mayweather Jr.

vCash

Arturo Gatti Killed!!
    July 11, 2009 by James Allen

Several boxing websites are reporting fan favorite Arturo Gatti has been found dead in a condo he was renting in Brazil. Apparently he was there with his wife and he spends time in the country. Rumors also suggest he may have had head trauma when found dead by his wife.

ESPN is reporting — Police in Brazil say former boxing champion Arturo Gatti has been found dead in a hotel room in the northeastern state of Pernambuco.

Police investigator Edislon Alves told The Associated Press that the body of the former junior welterweight champ was discovered Saturday morning in the posh seaside resort of Porto de Galinhas, where he arrived on Friday with his wife and 1-year-old son.

Alves said police were investigating. It was unclear how the 37-year-old Canadian died.

A spokeswoman for the public safety department said Gatti’s wife and son were unhurt.

“There were no bullet or stab wounds on his body, but police did find blood stains on the floor,” the spokeswoman said.

Gatti won the United States Boxing Association junior lightweight title and International Boxing Federation’s world junior lightweight title.

Gatti (40-9, 31 KOs) was best known for his all-action style, which was epitomized in his classic trilogy with Micky Ward in 2002 and 2003.

It’s why Gatti was a fixture at Boardwalk Hall in Atlantic City, N.J., where he drew huge crowds and fought many times, including the final nine fights of his career.

In his first fight after the Ward trilogy — which Gatti won 2-1 — he captured a world title in his second division, outpointing Gianluca Branco for the vacant WBC junior welterweight title.

Gatti made two defenses before losing it to Floyd Mayweather Jr. via sixth-round TKO in June 2005. He returned to defeat Thomas Damgaard but lost his final two bouts, a ninth-round TKO in a challenge to then-welterweight champion Carlos Baldomir in July 2006 followed by a one-sided beating from former “Contender” star Alfonso Gomez in July 2007.

In the dressing room following the seventh-round knockout loss to Gomez, Gatti announced his retirement.

He had been working in real estate in Montreal following his retirement, but still attended fights, as he did in April for the Timothy Bradley-Kendall Holt junior welterweight unification bout at the Bell Centre in Montreal.

ESPN.com boxing writer Dan Rafael and The Associated Press contributed to this report

vCash

Couldn't beleive it. It only took a second or two to sink in and then my eyes just started to to get all watery. I couldn't beleive I was fuckn crying. Because Gatti was one of the first fighters that I started watching when I was really starting to get into the game when I was still in high school. He just had this quality that made it feel like you knew him like he was your friend even though you had never actually met. The only other fighter I ever cried after hearing of their death was Diego Corrales, to me he had that same quality where he affected you on a personal level.

It's sad when it happens to someone that seems so happy an full of life

MANAGING EDITOR-IN-CHIEF
    vCash

Arturo Gatti Career Record

40 Wins, 9 Losses, 31 Knockouts
    June 10 -- Jose Gonzales, Secaucus, New Jersey, TKO 3
    July 7 -- Luis Melendez, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, KO 1
    Aug. 2 -- Richard De Jesus, Newark, New Jersey, KO 1
    Oct. 22 -- Francisco Aguiano, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, TKO 1

Apr. 22 -- Antonio Gonzalez, East Rutherford, New Jersey, KO 1
    May 15 -- Joe Lafontant, Atlantic City, New Jersey, W 6
    Nov. 17 -- King Solomon, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, L 6

Mar. 23 -- Plawen Goutchev, Rotterdam, Netherlands, TKO 1
    Apr. 7 -- Curtis Mathis, Newark, New Jersey, TKO 3
    May 15 -- Cliff Hicks, Brick, New Jersey, TKO 3
    June 20 -- Cristino Suero, Atlantic City, New Jersey, KO 3
    July 30 -- Robert Scott, New York City, New York, TKO 1
    Aug. 24 -- Luis Guzman, Atlantic City, New Jersey, TKO 1
    Oct. 23 -- Derek Francis, Atlantic City, New Jersey, KO 1
    Nov. 11 -- Glenn Irizarry, Melville, New York, KO 1

Jan. 8 -- Leon Bostic, Catskill, New York, W 8
    May 6 -- Darrell Singleton, Atlantic City, New Jersey, TKO 1
    June 28 -- Pete Taliaferro, Secaucus, New Jersey, TKO 1
    Aug. 16 -- Richard Salazar, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, TKO 10
    Nov. 22 -- Jose Sanabria, Secaucus, New Jersey, W 12

Mar. 9 -- Roman Smolenkov, Groningen, Netherlands, KO 1
    Apr. 22 -- Tialano Tovar, Atlantic City, New Jersey, KO 1
    July 13 -- Barrington Francis, Atlantic City, New Jersey, TKO 6
    Oct. 7 -- Carlos Vergara, Atlantic City, New Jersey, KO 1
    Dec. 15 -- Tracy Patterson, New York City, New York, W 12
    (Captured IBF junior lightweight title)

Mar. 23 -- Wilson Rodriguez, New York City, New York, KO 6
    (Retained IBF junior lightweight title)
    July 11 -- Feliciano Correa, New York, New York, KO 3

Feb. 22 -- Tracy Patterson, Atlantic City, New Jersey, W 12
    (Retained IBF junior lightweight Title)
    May 4 -- Calvin Grove, Atlantic City, New Jersey, TKO 7
    Oct. 4 -- Gabriel Ruelas, Atlantic City, New Jersey, TKO 5
    (Retained IBF junior lightweight Title)

Jan. 17 -- Angel Manfredy, Atlantic City, New Jersey, TKO by 8
    Aug. 23 -- Ivan Robinson, Atlantic City, New Jersey, L 10
    Dec. 12 -- Ivan Robinson, Atlantic City, New Jersey, L 10

Aug. 14 -- Reyes Munoz, Ledyard, Connecticut, KO 1

Feb. 26 -- Joey Gamache, New York, New York, KO 2
    Apr. 29 -- Eric Jakubowski, New York, New York, KO 2
    Sept. 8 -- Joe Hutchinson, Montreal, Canada, W 10

Mar. 24 -- Oscar De La Hoya, Las Vegas, Nevada, TKO by 5

Jan. 26 -- Terronn Millett, New York, New York, TKO 4
    May 18 -- Micky Ward, Uncasville, Connecticut, L 10
    Nov. 23 -- Micky Ward, Atlantic City, New Jersey, W 10

June 7 -- Micky Ward, Atlantic City, New Jersey, W 10

Jan. 24 -- Gianluca Branco, Atlantic City, New Jersey, W 12
    (Captured WBC junior welterweight title)
    July 24 -- Leonard Dorin, Atlantic City, New Jersey, KO 2
    (Retained WBC junior welterweight title)

Jan. 29 -- Jesse James Leija, Atlantic City, New Jersey, KO 5 *RECAP*
    (Retained WBC junior welterweight title)
    June 25 -- Floyd Mayweather Jr., Atlantic City, NJ, TKO by 6 *RECAP*
    (Lost WBC junior welterweight title)

Jan. 28 -- Thomas Damgaard, Atlantic City, NJ, TKO 11 *RECAP*
    July 22 -- Carlos Baldomir, Atlantic City, NJ, TKO by 9 *RECAP*
    (For WBC Welterweight Title)

07-14 -- Alfonso Gomez, Atlantic City, NJ, TKO by 7

vCash

This is just the worst news! RIP Warrior, you will be missed!

vCash

Former champion Arturo Gatti, who was scheduled to testify in a trial in New York this week in a lawsuit filed against the New York State Athletic commission by former opponent Joey Gamache,

surely there's No Link, boxing's not that crooked, is it???

Banned
    vCash

37 and one of the nicest kids you'll ever meet. I'm lucky I live in NJ and got to see many of his fights. Always fan friendly with movie star looks. Super quiet and shy. One of the biggest hearts I ever saw in the ring. Refused to quit. This one really hurts and I am still in shock. RIP

MANAGING EDITOR-IN-CHIEF
    vCash

Jim:

While nothing surprises me anymore I have(want?) to believe that one would be a stretch. Who would put up the scratch to do a hit in Brazil? More likely it's was a random occurrence.

Dogman Tony told me that two MMA fighters were recently robbed & killed in Brazil; so who know what the hell happened to Gatti at this point?

ONE THING I KNOW IS THAT THIS SUCKS!!! Boxing, which can hardly spare one much less two, In Arguello & Gatti has lost two admirable ambassadors. Sure Arguello & Gatti had their problems & low points in life, who hasn't? But for myself I've never heard anything negative about them personally.

Two stand up guys with all the heart in the world & very fan friendly & media genic & their both gone much too soon....

R.I.P.

GorDoom

vCash

Despite all the criticism that he received during his career, he was truly a gutsy warrior who never failed to give fans their money's worth. May he rest in peace.

vCash

Sounds very fishy ... terrible news ...he was a wild man .. who knows ?

vCash

Arturo Gatti, former boxing champion, found dead in hotel

Kirk McKoy / Los Angeles Times

Artuto Gatti, a Canadian who became an adopted son of New Jersey while fighting out of Atlantic City, won his first title in 1995.
    One of the most exciting fighters of his generation was 37 years old. Police says it's unclear how he died.

Associated Press

July 11, 2009
    SAO PAULO -- Former boxing champion Arturo Gatti, whose epic trilogy with Micky Ward branded him one of the most exciting fighters of his generation, was found dead in a hotel room in the posh seaside resort of Porto de Galihnas early Saturday.

Police investigator Edilson Alves told the Associated Press that the body of the former junior welterweight champ was discovered in his room at the tourist resort, where Gatti had arrived on Friday with his Brazilian wife Amanda and 1-year-old son.

Alves said police were investigating and it was unclear how the 37-year-old Canadian died.

"It is still too early to say anything concrete, although it is all very strange," Alves said. He declined to provide any additional details.

A spokeswoman for the state public safety department said Gatti's wife and son were unhurt. The woman declined to give a name in keeping with department policy.

"There were no bullet or stab wounds on his body, but police did find blood stains on the floor," she said.

Brazilian boxer and four-time world champion Acelino "Popo" Freitas told the G1 website of Brazil's largest TV network Globo that he was a close friend of Gatti and his wife, and that he "knew they were having some sort of problem and were about to separate."

Known for his straightforward punching and granite-like chin, Gatti captured the junior welterweight title in 1995, when he defeated Tracy Harris Patterson in Atlantic City, N.J. His brawling style and natural charisma made him a fan favorite, and he became one of New Jersey's adopted sons while fighting some of his most memorable battles on the Boardwalk.

"I never saw a crowd show so much love for someone like the way that the crowds flocked to Arturo's fights in Atlantic City," said referee Randy Neumann, who officiated Gatti's last fight against Alfonso Gomez two years ago. "I mean, they were so into him and the crowds were electric. He just fought his heart out every fight."

Gatti continued to keep a home in New Jersey after he retired in 2007, with a career record of 40-9 and 31 knockouts.

"His entire boxing career he fought with us, we've known him since he was 17," Kathy Duva of promoter Main Events told The Associated Press. "It's just an unspeakable tragedy. I can't even find words. It's a horror."

Gatti defended his title three times before moving up in weight and getting stopped by Angel Manfredy in 1997. He lost twice more before running off four straight wins, setting up a big payday against Oscar De La Hoya.

Although Gatti was knocked out in the fifth round of a lopsided fight, his almost cult-like following never wavered in its support.

"He just captured the imagination of so many people," Duva said. "We used to joke it was a crowd like the Grateful Dead's, it was the same people every time."

Gatti would later lose to big names like Floyd Mayweather Jr. and Carlos Baldomir, but it was his three-fight series against Ward that left an indelible impression on fight fans.

The first time they met, in May 2002, the 140-pounders traded devastating blows for 10 rounds before leaving it up to the judges to decide a winner. Ward earned the mixed decision, by one point on one scorecard and two points on another, in what Ring Magazine called "Fight of the Year."

The rematch was just as brutal, with Gatti knocking Ward down in the third round with a big right. Ward not only recovered from the blow, which broke Gatti's hand, but managed to go the distance. This time, Gatti earned a clear unanimous decision.

Gatti and Ward had their rubber match at Boardwalk Hall in June 2003, and it was again called "Fight of the Year" by Ring Magazine. Ward knocked Gatti to the floor in the sixth round, but despite fighting with his right hand broken again, Gatti managed to win the decision.

"I was sitting him at the post-fight press conference -- I can't remember which one -- and I looked at his hand and it was three times the normal size," Duva said. "He gave me this goofy grin and he said, 'Yeah, I know. We'll party tonight and I'll go to the hospital tomorrow."'

Gatti attempted a comeback in July 2007, getting knocked out in seven rounds by Gomez. Afterward, with his legion of fans cheering for him in the arena, Gatti announced his retirement in the dressing room at Boardwalk Hall.

Neumann said it was tough for him to end that fight, simply because of Gatti's incredible ability to come back in fights.

"I couldn't stop that fight, simply because he was Arturo Gatti," Neumann said. "He was much more dignified to go out that way. He had to be counted out. When he fought, you never knew if he could come back. He looked beaten and still came back."

With that loss, Gatti acknowledged the end of all his travails and triumphs.

"I remember walking away from his last fight, and somebody walked up to him in the casino late at night and congratulated him," Duva said. "And he said, 'Why did he congratulate me?' And I said, 'He was excited to meet you.' And he kind of looked very surprised by that.

"He had no idea what an icon he was or how much he meant to people."

vCash

Sad and just plain fucked-up. RIP Arturo.

vCash

Jesus Christ that's awful.

MANAGING EDITOR-IN-CHIEF
    vCash

While I'm in no way comparing them historically, Arturo Gatti in many ways carried the same warrior mantle that Carmen Basilio carried in the 50's & 60's into the '90's & the Oughts - just like The Onion Farmer did forty years before him.

& coincidentally both were Paisan's....

GorDoom

vCash

Just awful news.

The worst-ever couple of weeks for deaths of celebs/well-knowns that I am aware of. And Gatti, like Arguello, was a favorite of mine, and they were two of the finest ambassadors for boxing.

RIP, Arturo.

vCash

Very sad day for the boxing world. It seems the good die young. R.I.P.

vCash

R.I.P. "Thunder" Gatti

A warrior who gave it his all, and all to the fans.....

vCash

Gatti was awarrior in every sense of the word , A perenial fan favorite. His stye was that of the pugs of yesterday, A true sad day for boxing ! This has been a terrible last few weeks , may this young champ rest in peace!

vCash

Only 37 and a 10 month old baby.

So bummed, RIP and copdolences and respect to his loved ones.

vCash

just came home.....

went to the bar and got drunk. took a cab home.... went to the deck and screamed..... FUCK.

i have often howled at the moon for reasons less than this. right now though....fuck the moon.... fuck the stars... fuck the nite and the day that brings this awful news.

prototype, your a young guy but your post struck me with its honest sorrow....

gordoom, somehow i fear the world can be this bad.

where do we hide our heros ? we may sing that only the good die young, but, we never accept it. we want our heros to live. so ,back to the question. where to hide our fragile heros.....

they are hidden on a canvas of no particular color....they live in a legend we always wished for ourselves. they forever live in a world no boxing fan can ever explain.

they live in our hearts and there forever will arturo live.

but...... FUUUUUUUUUUCK !

greg

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast