+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: R.I.P. Arturo Gatti

Administrator
    vCash

Re: R.I.P. Arturo Gatti

Quote Originally Posted by Kyoodle
    Dig...

For those of us here in New Jersey, who knew Arturo and followed him from when he was a young afterthought to brother Joe's then-blossoming career, to his retirement announcement, this is just surreal.

Arturo had his share of scraps out of the ring, loved to party with ALL the wrong people, and made some bad decisions in his personal life, which is the understatement of the century considering how he died and who allegedly killed him. But you would be hard-pressed to find a more personable, decent guy who truly loved being around his fans. He was a fixture at the local cards here and could be found ringside in North Bergen, Union City, Secaucus and Jersey City, chatting with his adoring public and signing autographs and posing for pictures with grace, good humor and patience.

We talk about people who have the personality to "light up a room"; that was Gatti, who--for the 16 years he so honestly plied his fistic trade--was simply, brilliantly incandescent, both in and out of the ring.

Rest in peace.

Kyoodle
    I've heard nothing but the same from people who knew him & even people who just ran into him. Such a shame a guy who gave it all for his fans came to an end like that at the hands of some psycho bitch.

vCash

Arturo Gatti’s family is heading to Brazil to claim his body for a funeral in Montreal.

I was told that because he was a Canadian citizen, he has to be flown in directly to Canada. He would be taken to Maurice Poirier in North Montreal, Canada.

Thanks, Henry

vCash

Tom Donelson: Thoughts on Arturo Gatti

I just posted up this excellent exclusive piece for the CBZ on Arturo Gatti by Tom Donelson. Check it out:

Link to Tom Donelson's Piece on Arturo Gatti

May Gatti rest in peace,

-- Juan

Chris Nagel

I was thinking to myself before, what a lucky guy. Beautiful wife, millions in the bank, a title and loved by everyone. It's just a terrible tragedy that something like that had to happen to Gatti.

vCash

http://www.nationalpost.com/sports/s...tml?id=1794295

What is going to come out in this case, it worries me what we might find out!

vCash

Here's poster of when Gatti was honored by C.O.M.B.A.T.T., along with Don King, Buddy McGirt and myself.

http://img194.imageshack.us/img194/9...postercopy.jpg

Arturo Gatti's funeral and memorial arrangements:

Joe Gatti, Arturo's brother, who still lives in northern New Jersey, said the family is struggling to come to terms with his death and to handle the funeral and memorial arrangements. Gatti's body is scheduled to be released Tuesday in Brazil.

The family had hoped to hold a service in New Jersey, but Gatti never obtained his U.S. citizenship, so they're leaning toward an event in Montreal this weekend.

MANAGING EDITOR-IN-CHIEF
    In an undisclosed bunker deep in the weird, wild, woods of the Pacific Northwest
    vCash

He Lived And Died On The Edge
    By Ron Borges from Sweet Science

Arturo Gatti lived the way he fought – on the edge. It is a dangerous locale for fighting or for living.

Boxing fans loved him for it because he was someone who boxed with a reckless passion. He was never out of a fight but always in one, even on the nights when he could have taken an easier path. He seemed fundamentally unable to pass up a brawl for a boxing match, in part because he had a canny businessman’s understanding that blood sells, even if it’s your own.

Although a more skilled defensive fighter than he often showed, Gatti could be easily sidetracked by a slap in the face. Hit him and he would hit you back…twice if possible. Knock him down and he would get up and walk through fire to return the favor. Bloody his face and the night had just begun.

He was far from the best fighter of his generation but he was one of the most popular fighters of all time, a guy who made 21 appearances on HBO because most of them turned into the kind of back-and-forth peaks and valleys that reminded you what being a fighter was really all about.

When the end came it was violent, both when it came in boxing and in life. The former occurred on July 14, 2007, when Gatti was busted up and beaten down one last time by a kid named Alfonso Gomez. Gomez was a nice kid just doing his job but there is no way he would have ever done a job like that on the real Arturo Gatti.

The problem that night was that all the fight had been beaten out of Gatti, who engaged in more wars than the German army. He was 35 and had gotten off the deck to beat Wilson Rodriguez with one eye closed more than a decade earlier.

He’d gotten off his stool when all was surely lost and knocked Gabe Ruelas out cold in what RING magazine later called the fight of the year. He’d fought two wars with Ivan Robinson before anyone had ever heard of Gomez, two fights so breath-taking they were both fights of the year as well.

He’d been beaten up by a much bigger Oscar De La Hoya on a night he just fought for money because there was no real chance of winning yet came back to fight a trilogy of fights with Micky Ward so brilliant they will be re-run this weekend by HBO as a tribute to what Gatti was.

Of course, warriors all end up badly hurt. Gladiators end up bloodied and defeated. It’s part of the job and so it was for Gatti, who spent more time in emergency wards than a hyperactive toddler. He accepted that end of his cruel business as part of the price he paid for glory.

Of all his defeats in a career with many highlights, the worse was near the end, as they always are, when he was forced to the floor a beaten man by Floyd Mayweather, Jr., who really was the best fighter of his generation. That fight was the one that spoke to him, it seemed later. What it said was that the man who always found a way to get up no longer could.

Maybe that made it easier in some ways to give in to Gomez, who had youth and belief on his side. Gatti’s old friend Ward had trained him for that fight and believed he had enough left to win and so was stunned to see the one-sided beating Gatti (40-9, 31 KO) he took before the fight was stopped mercifully by then New Jersey Athletic Commission executive director Larry Hazzard, who leapt into the ring to do what referee Randy Neumann apparently could not – say “Enough.’’

“I couldn't stop that fight, simply because he was Arturo Gatti," Neumann later explained. “It was much more dignified to go out that way. He had to be counted out. When he fought, you never knew if he could come back. He looked beaten and still came back."

Not that time, which came as a shock to Ward, who had become Gatti’s blood brother after 30 rounds spent abusing each other in an 18-month period. After they were over only two things could happen. They could hate each other or love each other. They chose the latter, which said much about both of them.

“I wasn’t sure he had enough to compete for a world championship any more but I thought he had enough left to beat Gomez,’’ Ward said this week. “If I’d seen anything different in training I could have told him but I didn’t. Even in the dressing room his punches were sharp. But he lost something on the walk to the ring. By the time he got in there all the fight was gone.

“Same thing happened to me in our third fight. I knocked him down and the next round I had nothing left. I didn’t belong in there any more. It was like all the fight just left me. Same thing happened to Arturo.’’

Last week something worse happened to him. He lost his last fight, this time to his young wife Amanda Rodrigues, in violent fashion. Allegedly the two got drunk at a vacation resort in Brazil, quarreled as they apparently often did and police claim she choked him to death with the strap of her expensive purse while he lay in a drunken stupor.

She denies it but Brazilian authorities say there are no other suspects and no evidence anyone else entered or left their room. All they found there was a dead fighter with a stab wound, a knife under his body and a bloody purse strap. There were about 10 unaccounted hours from the estimated time of death and when she called the police. They say her story doesn’t fit. Gatti’s friends say privately that it was fitting that the former stripper at Scores, a Manhattan “gentlemen’s club’’ where men don’t always act like gentlemen and the women expect it, killed him with her purse. You didn’t need a lot of details to understand what they were saying.

Whatever the truth of Arturo Gatti’s final hours, the fact is he died at 37 in the same way he lived. He died living on the edge. He died after a violent confrontation.

He died the way you feared someone so brave and proud and fierce might. He died too young.

vCash

Funeral for slain boxer Arturo Gatti to be held Monday in Montreal

MONTREAL — A funeral service will be held Monday morning in Montreal for former boxing champion Arturo Gatti..

Gatti’s mother told The Canadian Press that his body is expected to be returned from Brazil on Friday and the service will take place in a church in the city’s Little Italy district.

Meanwhile, a lawyer representing Gatti’s wife has asked that she be released from jail.

Amanda Rodrigues is being held on accusations that she strangled the former boxing champ with her purse strap as he drunkenly slept.

Rodrigues has told investigators she awoke Saturday about 6 a.m. local time to find her husband’s body in the apartment they rented in Porto de Galinhas, a seaside resort in Pernambuco state.

Police say she was the only suspect and they are certain she killed Gatti in their apartment where they and their 10-month-old son arrived for a second honeymoon last week. The boy was unhurt and was in the care of Rodrigues’ family.

vCash

Her claim of being too slender to "Subdue" a former boxing champion who weighed in between 140-160 plus pounds and walked around over 170 on the street doesn't float.

Today on the news it showed a kitchen knife used to slam him in back of the head, imagine taking a shot like that while you are helpless, drunk and sleeping.

I personally believe whatever rowe they had over flirting, whoring, profiling, wearing thongs, short skirts, accepting male advances WHATEVER, escalated into a vicious fight with him calling her every name in the book. When he crashed she went to work on him.

I wouldn't care if a woman had pipe cleaner arms, if she was enraged and jammed him with a blade then strangled him with a purse strap, he could be as strong as Kimbo Slice and still be put under with a blade rammed into his sleeping head and then the carotid arteries being shut off with a stangle hold with a garrot type attack. 3-4 seconds of that on a sleeping stabbed man, and the show is OVER.

With a magnetic hotel-door card as the only way to open the door and get in, no one but Claude Rains the Invisible Man got in there.

What will actually happen in court who knows. I know this though from what I have seen from years and years as a bouncer. I have seen slightly built people go absolutely beserk and kick the living dog shit out of big muscular people, any cop will tell you that.

A woman can kill you deader than Julius Ceaser.

Just a terrible tragic thing for this brave warrior and his child.
    To say it could not have been her is a fairy tale that her lawyer will try to go with. What else can she do?

vCash

Gatti death may be murder or suicide, says autopsy

Updated Sat. Jul. 18 2009 5:28 PM ET

The Associated Press

SAO PAULO -- An autopsy indicates former boxing champion Arturo Gatti of Montreal could have committed suicide, been accidentally killed or murdered, according to Jornal do Comercio newspaper Saturday.

Jornal do Comercio said it obtained a copy of the coroner's initial findings.

Police have said from the beginning they are certain Gatti's 23-year-old wife strangled the boxer with her purse strap as he drunkenly slept July 11, but the autopsy report raises some doubts.

Gatti was found dead a week ago in the apartment he was renting with wife Amanda Rodrigues in the Brazilian seaside resort of Porto de Galinhas in the northeastern state of Pernambuco.

A visitation for Gatti will be held Sunday in Montreal, with the funeral service scheduled for Monday morning at Notre Dame De La Defense.

In the state capital of Recife, Jornal do Comercio reported the autopsy findings said Gatti's body was "suspended and hanged, indicating he may have committed suicide."

The newspaper said the autopsy report also stated that "murder or accidental death" could not be ruled out. There was no explanation for "accidental death."

Paula Cysneiros, the spokeswoman for the medical examiners office that performed the autopsy, would not confirm the newspaper's report.

Police arrested Rodrigues on suspicion of murdering the former two-division champion. She maintains her innocence and is being held in a prison in Recife. She has not been charged -- according to Brazilian law, police have until this Wednesday to hand over their findings to prosecutors, who will decide if charges are to be filed.

Rodrigues told investigators she awoke and found her husband's body about 9 a.m. on July 11. She then called police.

Investigators said she was the only suspect and they are certain she killed Gatti in the apartment where they and their 10-month-old son arrived for a second honeymoon. The boy was unhurt and was in the care of Rodrigues' family.

Investigators said there was no sign of forced entry and the electronic locks on the apartment indicated only Gatti and his wife had entered.

Police said Gatti had marks on his throat, indicating he was strangled.

Rodrigues' sister, Flavia, told the newspaper Folha de S. Paulo this week that there was "no way she could have strangled a man of that size."

Rodrigues' lawyer, Celio Avelino, told The Associated Press he agreed with Flavia's conclusion.

"She is fragile, young and skinny -- how could she kill a boxing champion?" Avelino said. "When she awoke, she presumed he had committed suicide.

"But she had nothing to do with it."

Police also said there was a knife wound in the back of Gatti's head and displayed a small steak knife along with the bloodied, white purse strap -- both found near his body.

Citing the results of the autopsy, the newspaper said the wound "may have occurred when the body fell to the floor."

Police have also said they think the crime scene had been altered before they arrived -- indicating Rodrigues could have tried to make it appear as if Gatti had committed suicide, police spokeswoman Milena Saraiva told the AP this week.

Saraiva said the death may have even been pre-meditated and Rodrigues may have encouraged Gatti to drink excessively so she would be able to overpower him later.

"He was very drunk and that made it easier for her," Saraiva theorized. "He was sleeping when she did this.

"She waited for the moment when he was drunk enough for her to do it."

Avelino has insisted his client is not guilty and has said he is certain the autopsy report would indicate Gatti's death was a suicide.

Rodrigues herself, in a handwritten letter she gave to the AP on Wednesday, said she didn't commit the crime.

"I'm innocent and I know that this will be proven in a few days," she wrote in the letter.

She ended the note by addressing the couple's infant son, writing: "Junior -- soon mama will be at home!"

Thanks, Henry

vCash

There will be a Memorial service for Arturo Gatti on Saturday, July 25th at St. Nick’s Church located at 122 Ferry St., right off Central Ave., near Pershing Field in Jersey City starting at 11:30 AM.

Thanks, Henry

vCash

Why, Arturo?

Special From Jon Bardelli

Life is not as it always seems and rarely is it rewarding. As Ye Sow, So Shall Ye Reap.

Stated another way, the transforming laws of physics, as described by Newton, apply to the unfolding of human drama be it good, bad, or indifferent, in the same manner that those laws govern all motion in the Universe.

In the same respect that the immutable laws of physics apply across the board, equally, in non-discriminatory fashion, within and upon the life of every man, woman and child, those same laws of physics play themselves out in a morality play converting Newtonian laws of motion into human masks of sorrow, jealously, self pity, regret, guilt, remorse, as life weaves itself day in, day out, into a coat of varying colors and shades of meaning.

If one drinks to excess, the intangible messing with the human physiology, eventually takes its tolls in ways not known but in a predictable and steady fashion, as an ocean tide.

If one is unfaithful in a relationship, a ticking time bomb will explode…it’s only a matter of time.

If one is abusive of a loved one and oblivious to the needs of a family… the human emotion of guilt will raise its head and provide a response that the vast majority will never see evolving for they do not want to be exposed to an unfolding of the future of their own destiny. It is easier to enable and to put one’s head in the sand.

Add to the equation, the physiological damage to one’s brain from having entered that squared circle, where only Angels should dare to tread, and combine that act with the inevitable sheering of neurons taking place, therein, coupled with the sucking up of the compelling adulation, the bravado, and the cheering of the mob… all the while the forces of self-denial setting in which thereby induce the recipient to erroneously conclude that those punches are incapable of taking their toll---denial to the point of no return… and you have on your hands the making of a Shakespearean tragedy engulfing and consuming all who come within the circle of enabling denial.

History provides its answers in a manner we don’t like to reflect upon and, indeed, shun in examining in detail the closing chapters which are there for examination and reading. It is so transparent--- and so readily available for all to witness were we to look at only a few of the once glimmering and now imploded stars of the Universe:

Grim, Nelson, McCoy, Papke, Fontaine, LaMotta, Arguello, Robinson, Charles, Louis, Pep, Machen, Foley, Turpin, Mills, Chacon, Lopez, Quarry, Norton, Ali, thousands more and, … dare we say, … Gatti.

Ah Gatti… one can only wonder what demons grabbed you in your moment of extreme remorse--- a remorse for conduct transformed into guilt and shame… and a crying out for help… setting into motion conditions which took you down the road to an oblivion… where it was not bad enough to have not only assaulted the one you professed an undying love for on the night that you were about to forsake the world--- much in the same fashion Judas did when the enormity of his own transgressions sunk in and transformed Iscariot, a disciple no less, over the enormity of his own guilt and lead him to his own self inflicted strangulation,… but, indeed a state of mind which would allow you to engage in a contemptible act without foresight that your own death, taken by your own hand, would bring even more contempt and ridicule upon the same Amanda Rodrigues you professed to love and, thereafter, forever render her an obstacle of scorn and hatred by those whose lives mimic your own---wasting their allotted hours in debauchery until their souls can take no more, rendering as yourself, a plaintiff cry---”Enough” And the die is cast---the end is here-- and oh, what a tangled web we weave.
    Last edited by kikibalt; 07-19-2009 at 11:40 PM.

vCash

Arturo Gatti's Wake Flooded With Fans, Fighters, Family
    Posted by: Mark Vester on 07-19-2009.

By Mark Vester
    There were hundreds of mourners who crowded a Montreal funeral home to say goodbye to former two division champion Arturo Gatti. On the morning of July 11, Gatti was found dead in his hotel room at the Porto de Galinhas resort in Brazil. Police believe his wife Amanda Rodrigues strangled him and caused an injury to the back of his head with a table knife. The couple had a very hostile relationship. Several witnesses saw the couple exchanging some very heated words on the night of July 10.

Gatti, 37, was born in Italy. He grew up in Montreal but made his name in the sport when he moved to New Jersey in the United States. He moved back to Montreal not long after retiring from the sport in 2007.

Many boxers came to service, including Jean Pascal, Joachim Alcine and Howard and Otis Grant. Gatti's coffin rested with one of his championship belts, a pair of white boxing gloves and a wreath spelling out his nickname pro boxing nickname - ‘Thunder’—in red flowers.

"He gave me hope," Alcine said to The National Post. "He gave me strength . . . I'm just remembering his smile. He was a very happy man."

"Arturo was the prime example of perseverance," Pascal said. "He wasn't a superstar in amateur boxing but he became a megastar in professional boxing, especially with his personality and charm."

Henry
    Last edited by hhascup; 07-19-2009 at 10:45 PM.

vCash

Thanks for posting that, Henry. Sounds like The Champ had a decent send-off from his contemporaries.

But one thing I don't get, from the post previous to Henry's is this listing of "imploded stars", from the article by Jon Bardelli:

"Grim, Nelson, McCoy, Papke, Fontaine, LaMotta, Arguello, Robinson, Charles, Louis, Pep, Machen, Foley, Turpin, Mills, Chacon, Lopez, Quarry, Norton, Ali, thousands more and, … dare we say, … Gatti."

Oooo-kay....I understand McCoy (murderer, later committed suicide), Papke (ditto), Arguello, Machen (died tragically), Folley (ditto), Turpin (held young daughter hostage, then shot her before killing himself), Mills (suicide). But the others? I'm not understanding; someone please help ;->

vCash

It simply means they lived selfish lives, abusing and negleting others, as well themselves and had to pay the price!

God has mercy, EVERYONE!

vCash

video of Gatti funeral - http://fr.video.canoe.tv/video/sport...ti/30070496001

mostly Quebec French with some English, I trust there will be other video reports, I hope...

Rest in peace Arturo.

Banned
    vCash

Um "I can't confirm that she is a suspect"....Whoops?

Gatti's wife remains in jail, police backtracking
    By BRADLEY BROOKS (AP) – 20 hours ago

RIO DE JANEIRO — Arturo Gatti's wife will remain in jail pending a judicial decision despite the release of an autopsy report casting doubt on whether the former champion boxer was killed.

Police, meanwhile, are backing off strong statements that Gatti's wife was unquestionably responsible for his death. Earlier they said she undoubtedly strangled him with her purse strap as he drunkenly slept.

The lawyer for Amanda Rodrigues — whom police have said is the only suspect in the fighter's July 11 death — petitioned for her release through two legal channels.

Pernambuco state judge Fausto Campos on Monday denied the request that she be released because she was cooperating with police. He ruled, though, that her writ of habeas corpus must be examined by a three-judge panel, leaving open the possibility she will be freed. The panel meets each Tuesday, but the court did not say when Rodrigues' request would be heard.

The judge's decision came on the same day about 1,000 people turned out for Gatti's funeral in his adopted hometown of Montreal.

Gatti was found dead in the apartment he was renting with Rodrigues in the seaside resort of Porto de Galinhas in Brazil's northeast. The pair, who had a tumultuous marriage, had arrived there a few days before Gatti's death for a second honeymoon. The couple brought their 10-month-old son, who was unhurt and is in the care of Rodrigues' family in Brazil.

On Saturday, authorities released an initial autopsy report that said Gatti could have died in an unexplained accident, been murdered, or committed suicide. The report indicated Gatti died of asphyxiation after his body was "suspended and hanged."

Police said from the beginning they think Rodrigues strangled Gatti as he slept — and they have said they think the crime scene was altered before Rodrigues reported Gatti's death. Her attorney, however, said the fact Gatti's body was found suspended proved his client's innocence.

"The report was telling the truth," Rodrigues' attorney, Celio Avelino, told The Associated Press. "The report said he was hanged. She could never suspend and hang a man that size."

But a Gatti family friend rejected out of hand the chance the fighter committed suicide.

"Nobody believes whatsoever that there's even a one percent chance of a suicide. He lived life to the fullest," said Ivano Scarpa, a close family friend who spoke during the funeral service in Canada.

Rodrigues, in a handwritten note given to the AP last week, proclaimed her innocence and said it would be proved within days.

Police inspector Paulo Alberes said he could no longer comment on the case until the investigation was complete — an abrupt reversal from many detailed statements investigators have given about Gatti's death.

"I cannot confirm that she is a suspect," Alberes said. "I can tell you that she is still imprisoned as of right now. That is it."

The investigator said police hope to have their final report prepared by next week. The initial investigation report was legally required to be handed over to prosecutors by Wednesday, but police received an extension on that deadline.

Associated Press Writer Tales Azzoni in Sao Paulo contributed to this report.

I took a break from this cause I knew is was going to get crazy, but man, the Police didn't do themselves any favors making that initial accusation and conclusion public.

Maaaaan....

Hawk

vCash

Here's another Memorial Service for Arturo Gatti

To all the Boxing Community;

A Memorial Service will be held for Arturo Gatti on Thursday, July 30th at St. John's The Baptist Church at 7pm. The church is located at 3026 Kennedy Blvd in Jersey City. Arturo Gatti's only manager, Pat Lynch, Main Events his only promoter, HBO Sports who televised Arturo's greatest fights and Arturo's entire extended family wish to honor his memory with family, friends and fans.

The Main Events and Pound for Pound family have no affiliation with any other memorial service.

Yours in boxing,

Sal Alessi and The Pound for Pound Family

Henry

Administrator
    vCash

Can you believe this shit?

http://sports.espn.go.com/sports/box...ory?id=4342253

I could never see Gatti as the suicide type ever. Corrupt shit going on. Someone staged this horriffic scenario, I'm sure of it. Wasn't a stab wound found on his head? Hopefully more details are released soon & that bitch stays in jail.

vCash

I posted this as to my thoughts and fears at the beginning... and YES Dig, "what about the 'Blow to the back of the head, then it was a Stab wound(?) and if he was hanging from somewhere - suicide would be the First thought and NOT suspicion that his wife did it!

My initial thought on this sad news was a 'robber' gone wrong, an inside job even, with Hotel staff letting some seedy friends in to do the business. I then read Gatti was due to testify this week in NY and thought, "Oh no, not a hit from Boxing's underworld!

But to here of a death at the hands of his young bride, obviously a volitile relationship they must have had. I don't know her background but 'if' it was a modest one growing up 'rough & ready' then that kind of behaviour can be commonplace...

was ANY of her family with them, sisters, brothers,? there could be more in this.

as I said before, It worries me what we might find out in all of this???
    Last edited by jim glen; 07-22-2009 at 06:04 PM.

vCash

Arturo Gatti Memorial Mass Tomorrow, Thursday, July 30th

By

Main Events

Friends and fans of Arturo “Thunder” Gatti are invited to attend a memorial Mass that will be held in his honor on Thursday evening, July 30th at 7 p.m. St. John the Baptist Roman Catholic in Jersey City.

“Since it was not possible for so many of Arturo’s friends and fans in the US to attend his funeral this past weekend in Montreal, we think that it is only right to give them the opportunity to celebrate Arturo’s life and pay their respects next Thursday at St. John’s,” said Gatti’s boxing manager and mentor, Pat Lynch.

“Arturo was much more to me than a business associate or even a friend,” said Lynch, who handled Gatti throughout his 17-year professional boxing career. “I am humbled and honored by the fact that he considered me to be his second father. I don’t know if I will ever get over losing him.”

“Arturo Gatti was a living legend whose passion in the ring was exceeded only by his great loyalty to the people he truly loved and cared for,” Kathy Duva of Gatti’s longtime promoter, Main Events, said. “Words are inadequate to describe the unspeakable sadness of losing him this way. On July 30th his friends and fans from the area will have the chance to come together to grieve and remember Arturo not only as a boxing icon, but as a great friend.”

Nicknamed, “The Human Highlight Film,” Gatti thrilled fans throughout his storied boxing career with his heart-stopping all-action style. A two-time world champion in two weight divisions, the Jersey City resident was beloved by his vocal legion of fans. Gatti set attendance records at Atlantic City’s Convention Hall during a run of nine straight sell-outs between 2002 and 2007. Four of his bouts were chosen to be honored as “Fight of the Year” by the Boxing Writers Association of America.

Gatti fought 20 times on HBO, including a legendary trilogy of fights with Mickey Ward, which was voted the second greatest boxing trilogy of all time (behind Ali-Frasier) by fans in an ESPN sports poll. Even though no title was at stake in any of the three, ten-round bouts, HBO color analyst and Hall of Fame trainer Emmanuel Steward described round-nine of Gatti’s first encounter with Ward as “the round of the century.” Joined together for eternity by virtue of their thrilling 30 rounds in the ring, Gatti and Ward later became the best of friends, culminating in Ward’s appearance as Gatti’s trainer for his last professional bout in 2007.

Gatti, 37, was found dead in a vacation villa in Brazil on Saturday, July 11th. Brazilian authorities have charged his wife, Amanda, with his murder.

St. John the Baptist R.C. Church is located at 3026 Kennedy Blvd., a short walk up Kennedy Blvd. from the Path Station in Journal Square.

For more information contact:

Ellen Haley, Main Events, ehaley@mainevents.com

Thanks, Henry Hascup

vCash

Dude, I just really realized that Gatti is not here anymore. You know, it just really hit me for real.

Why in the world is Gatti dead at what 36?

Auturo Gatti.

vCash

What Bullshit!

Police: Gatti's death a suicide, must release wifeAssociated Press
    add this RSS blog email print
    Updated: July 30, 2009, 2:01 PM EDT 1 comments
    RIO DE JANEIRO (AP) - A Brazilian police investigation has determined that the death of boxer Arturo Gatti was a suicide and a court has ordered the release of his wife, who was once suspected of killing him.

More on Gatti Fallen hero: He could drop a foe in one shot. His chin was cast in granite. Mark Kriegel recalls Arturo Gatti, a fighter who defined valor in the ring.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Photos: Arturo Gatti was one of the most exciting and courageous fighters of his era. Take a look at his storied career.
    Lead investigator Paulo Alberes told The Associated Press on Thursday their investigation concluded that Gatti killed himself on July 11 in a seaside resort in northeastern Brazil. He offered no other details, but said he would hold a press conference later in the day.

Just one day after Gatti was found dead, police said they thought his Brazilian wife, Amanda Rodrigues, 23, had strangled him with her purse strap while he slept.

But police began to back off after a coroner's report said that Gatti may have killed himself.

State court judge Ildete Verissimo de Lima in the city of Recife ordered that Rodrigues be immediately released.

The judge wrote in the ruling that police informed the court that "the detention of the suspect was no longer needed" as the investigation "excludes the possibility of murder."

"The victim ... committed suicide by hanging," Lima's ruling read, referring to the police investigation findings.

What's Hot:Up-to-the-minute MLB trade buzz
    Kriegel: Great antidote to UFC bad boy
    Report: Manny, Papi failed PED test
    Police rule Gatti's death a suicide
    Vick: I'm 'getting close' to signing
    Battling leukemia, DE Udeze retires
    Top stories | Rumors | Video | Photos Rodrigues lawyer, Celio Avelino, said she would walk out of jail Thursday afternoon.

Gatti was found dead in the apartment he was renting with Rodrigues in the seaside resort of Porto de Galinhas in Brazil's northeast.

The pair, who had a tumultuous marriage, had arrived there a few days before Gatti's death for a second honeymoon. The couple brought their 10-month-old son, who was unhurt and is in the care of Rodrigues' family in Brazil.

Gatti's family and friends in his adopted hometown of Montreal have been adamant that the boxer would not have killed himself.

"Nobody believes whatsoever that there's even a 1-percent chance of a suicide. He lived life to the fullest," Ivano Scarpa, a close Gatti family friend, said at the boxer's July 20 funeral service in Canada.

But Rodrigues, in a July 15 letter that she handed over to the AP from prison, said: "I'm innocent and I know that this will be proven in a few days."

vCash

Now they're saying he was found hanged, still suspended. I hadn't heard that before - if he was found that way, her argument holds some water - that she could never have lifted the guy (115lb women aren't known for being able to handle 180lb dead weight....). Sounds to me like we all may have judged too soon.

vCash

None here know exactly what the crime scene was like, so maybe there is a very good reason.

I just hope a thorough investigation was carried out to ensure that it was indeed
    suicide. It can't be that hard to prove.

She surely would have needed an accomplice to stage a hanging.

vCash

I don't believe Gatti committed suicide. Hanging with a purse strap that was bloodied? Because it was a purse that they mentioned, wasn't it? What about the blood stains on the floor? What about the wounds to his upper body/ head? There was mention of all this, right? How, then, was this a suicide?

vCash

I don't know about this lads, maybe Mike Delisa would be able to shed some light on "Policing & Law" in that part of the world(?).

OK!

1st. he was found with a BLOW to the back of the head, and was seemingly "strangled" with the purse strap.

(could be wrong about this), did they not say in the early reports to, that he was found lying on a couch and/or floor (???).

2cnd. - "his wife is held under suspicion of MURDER..." well IF he was found Hanging from somewhere, murder wouldn't be your first line of investigation, would it?

3rd. - the BLOW is suddenly not mentioned anymore and it becomes a "stab wound" to the back of the head, where's the Blow, are they one and the same, or is the stab in addition to the blow?

did she cut him down, allowing for them to suspect murder but it further investigation discovers "where and how" he was hanging finally clearing her???

and what about this not noticing him dead though being in the flat for 10 HOURS - they said she reported him dead round about 6am, so they must have ended their evening round about 6pm, Gatti had already drank lots and they were seen fighting on the street, "what time? Did she storm off and come home by 8pm - to account for the 10 hours in the flat???

I would think electronic door card use and Hotel cameras would accont for the 10 hours. Was this the first day they arrived, was it all on the Friday, that first day there?

I mean suicide would have been a fairly easy observation initially, No,

yet they thought murder...

I don't believe it, and I am suspect and at this early stage don't know what possibility to think of, but suicide I can't accept.
    Last edited by jim glen; 07-30-2009 at 06:14 PM.

Administrator
    vCash

this is such utter bullshit.
    so first he was soooo drunk that his little wife choked his warrior of a man with a purse strap & now he was "with it" enough in this same supposed drunken stupor to coordinate hanging himself? Its insulting that Brazil expects anyone to buy this shit. I don't have to know Gatti personally to know that's not the type of guy he was. What a fuckin joke. What about all the unexplained time that she spent in the apartment with his cold dead corpse before calling the cops? What about the blood & the head trauma?? So he hung himself while beating himself to death while he was sloshed drunk too????
    Holy shit i can have a heart attack with how nuts this is making me!
    I hope a fuckin boulder falls on this bitch. If he was hanging, the shit was staged by her family or friends. End of story. Thats her home country for christs sake!
    My god what a fuckin disgrace. This is 3rd world justice.
    I am sick to my stomach.

vCash

Dig, don't you think it's at least possible that all of that stuff was unofficial? First it was a stab, then it was a strangle, then there was head tramuu and blood, first a small amount, then there was blood everywhere, then he smacked her around a little at the bar, then he was falling down drunk at the bar.... I think it's far more likely the more suspicious aspects of THOSE things are fabrications than the idea of this being "3rd world justice".

I think when this all comes down with official reports, he will have been neither stabbed or beaten - that he was drunk and in an unthinking fit of passion or regret for the failed (or failing) relationship he did something very crazy and regretful. I honestly think that is far, far more likely than he was Phil Hartman-ed with the bare hands of a petite 23-year old.

vCash

Brazil police rule Gatti’s death suicide

By BRADLEY BROOKS, Associated Press Writer

A Brazilian police investigation has determined that the death of boxer Arturo Gatti was a suicide and a court has ordered the release of his wife, once suspected of killing him, officials said Thursday, July 30, 2009.

RIO DE JANEIRO (AP)—A Brazilian police investigation has determined that the death of boxer Arturo Gatti was a suicide and a court has ordered the release of his wife, once suspected of killing him, officials said Thursday.

Lead investigator Paulo Alberes told The Associated Press authorities found that Gatti killed himself on July 11 in a seaside resort in northeastern Brazil.

When asked if police had determined the case was a suicide, Alberes said “yes.” He offered no other details, but said he would hold a news conference later in the day.

A day after Gatti was found dead, police said that his 23-year-old Brazilian wife, Amanda Rodrigues, had strangled him with her purse strap as he drunkenly slept.

But police began to back off the accusation about a week later after a coroner’s report said that Gatti may have killed himself as he was found hanged and suspended. Rodrigues’ lawyer said at the time that proved his client’s innocence because she could not have physically lifted Gatti.

A spokeswoman for the Pernambuco state court in the city of Recife confirmed that judge Ildete Verissimo de Lima ordered the release of Rodrigues.

The judge wrote in the ruling that police informed the court that “the detention of the suspect was no longer needed” as the investigation “excludes the possibility of murder.”

But police began to back off the accusation about a week later after a coroner’s report said that Gatti may have killed himself as he was found hanged and suspended. Rodrigues’ lawyer said at the time that proved his client’s innocence because she could not have physically lifted Gatti.

A spokeswoman for the Pernambuco state court in the city of Recife confirmed that judge Ildete Verissimo de Lima ordered the release of Rodrigues.

The judge wrote in the ruling that police informed the court that “the detention of the suspect was no longer needed” as the investigation “excludes the possibility of murder.”

“The victim … committed suicide by hanging,” Lima’s ruling read, referring to the police investigation findings.

Rodrigues will walk out of jail Thursday afternoon, said her lawyer, Celio Avelino.

Gatti was found dead in the apartment he was renting with Rodrigues in the resort town of Porto de Galinhas.

The pair, who had a tumultuous marriage, had arrived there a few days before Gatti’s death for a second honeymoon. The couple brought their 10-month-old son, who was unhurt and is in the care of Rodrigues’ family in Brazil.

The 37-year-old Gatti, who captured two world titles in his 16-year pro career, retired in 2007 with a record of 40-9.

Gatti’s family and friends in his adopted hometown of Montreal have denied the accusation the boxer could have killed himself.

“Nobody believes whatsoever that there’s even a 1 percent chance of a suicide. He lived life to the fullest,” Ivano Scarpa, a close Gatti family friend, said at the boxer’s July 20 funeral service in Canada.

But Rodrigues, in a July 15 letter that she handed over to the AP from prison, said: “I’m innocent and I know that this will be proven in a few days.”

Associated Press Writer Tales Azzoni in Sao Paulo contributed to this report.

Thanks, Henry

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast