Home News Current Champs WAIL! Encyclopedia
The Cyber Boxing Zone Message Board
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Mayweather-Marquez Prefight Press, Predictions, Discussion

MANAGING EDITOR-IN-CHIEF
    In an undisclosed bunker deep in the weird, wild, woods of the Pacific Northwest
    vCash

Mayweather-Marquez Prefight Press, Predictions, Discussion

Oscar De La Hoya blog: How to beat Mayweather
    By Oscar De La Hoya from The Ring

Oscar De La Hoya fought Floyd Mayweather Jr. on May 5, 2007 in Las Vegas, losing a razor-thin split decision. He looks back on that fight and describes what Juan Manuel Marquez must do if he hopes to beat the former pound-for-pound king on Sept. 19 in Las Vegas.

I’ve been in the ring with Floyd Mayweather Jr. and he’s vulnerable … very, very vulnerable. I was surprised at how easy it was. Actually, I was shocked. It was so easy the first half of the fight that I couldn’t believe it. If I would’ve kept up my jab, even doubling or tripling it, it would’ve been an easy fight. Power? I didn’t feel any power from him. Yes, he was fast but it wasn’t overwhelming. It was one of those fights that I lost and he didn’t win. Physically, I just broke down.

I was surprised that I was able to connect with my jab so easily. And he didn’t know what to do after the jab connected. It would stop him in his tracks. I was surprised that in 37 (previous) fights no one could figure that out. The simplest weapon, the easiest one to throw, is the punch that has the most effect on him. He just didn’t know what to do with it. He panics. And when you get him into a panic mode, that’s when you have him. Marquez knows that. Nacho Beristain [Marquez’s trainer] has studied Mayweather.

Can Marquez be as effective with the jab? I think he can. He is shorter than I am but I fought Mayweather short. That was another mistake I made. I fought at Mayweather’s height, maybe even shorter. I crouched down when I threw the jab. I didn’t use my height advantage. Marquez is one of those technicians who always fights at his height. He not only uses his full reach but turns his body to where the jab reaches you much faster, much easier.

Speed is going to be important. I think timing punches is what really counts in this sport, though. You can be the fastest fighter on the planet. If you don’t have the right timing, you’re not going to land. If an opponent can time your punches, he’ll be able to counter you. Marquez has that kind of timing. He knows how to feint, how to throw you off your game plan. And he’s also fast.

Everyone is in awe of Mayweather’s defense. And he does have great defensive skills but only when opponents are throwing 1-, 2- or 3-punch combinations. He can block those combinations but is vulnerable when you throw 3-, 4-, 5-punches at a time; he doesn’t know what to do. Marquez has to do that. And I think that’s his bread and butter.

Things could go wrong for Marquez if he plays the waiting game. If he stands there and doesn’t do anything, he could have problems. He has to stay active, whether you’re feinting him, whether you’re moving on your toes, whether you’re flicking your jab out there. He has to do something. He has to count to three and do something. He can’t wait for Mayweather to throw back. If he does, obviously, Mayweather will pick him off with shots and box him all night.

I look back on my fight with Mayweather as an easy fight that got away. As it was, I only lost by one or two rounds. What makes it easier for me to accept is that I was able to compete with the best pound-for-pound fighter in the world at that stage of my career. Some people thought I won and a lot say it was close. Hearing that eases the pain.

And now it’s Marquez’s turn. Here we have a guy who many people believe beat Manny Pacquiao twice and Pacquiao is considered the best pound for pound. We’ll see how he does on Sept. 19. Styles make fights and, as I’ve said, I think he has the style to pull an upset.

vCash

Re: Oscar De La Hoya blog: How to beat Mayweather

Oscar speaks a lot of truth here, but he fails to say that the fight was a flop, from both men.
    Not that he would admit to that. If Floyd won that fight, then boxing is screwed.
    Oscar was poor, but PBF spent most of the night spoiling and defending and running..

vCash

If dlh know how to beat Mayweather, how come he didn't beat him, just more b-s from oscar...

MANAGING EDITOR-IN-CHIEF
    In an undisclosed bunker deep in the weird, wild, woods of the Pacific Northwest
    vCash

The Case for Juan Manuel Marquez Beating Floyd Mayweather

The Case for Juan Manuel Marquez Beating Floyd Mayweather - Part One
    By Lee Payton from The Boxing Bulletin

Photo © Marty Rosengarten / Ringsidephotos.com

I've become slightly obsessed with this fight. For the past month or so all of the irresistible ingredients have darted through my mind in search of the one detail that triggers a eureka moment. After many hours of deliberation I've come up with what I think will be a very close contest, but finding the winner's edge is proving to be an extremely difficult task.

As of August 31st, the underdog is looking pretty good. Considering that I flip-flop almost daily, I'm not exactly sure how much that's worth, but I would like to present my case for Juan Manuel Marquez defeating Floyd Mayweather anyway.

In Part One we'll have a look at the numbers.

Marquez is 36 years old. He has won 50 fights, 37 by KO, with 4 defeats and a draw. You wouldn't be out of line if you said that he won all of the 5 fights that didn't go his way. There is concern that the two wars with Manny Pacquiao, and taxing scraps with Barrera, Casamayor and Diaz have diminished the proud Mexican physically. Probably so, but we've been hearing about how he's lost his legs for awhile now. When do we stop waiting on him to get old and just appreciate the genius? You can always count on Marquez to show up 100% ready to fight, no matter what.

Mayweather is 32 years old. He is undefeated in 39 fights, with 25 wins coming inside the distance. His path to greatness has been decidedly easier than the man who will be standing across the ring from him. Partly because he hasn't fought the same type of opposition, but mostly because no one has been able to find him with their best stuff. He's just been too good.

Is he still that good though?

We haven't seen him in the ring since December of 2007 and for any athlete, that's a long time to go without competing.

What effect will the time off have on his reflexes? I expect that his performance will suffer less than most other fighters have just because of his work ethic and natural ability. However, I gotta think that his boots will feel just a tiny bit heavier than usual. The reaction time that used to be split second will be off by a fraction. Maybe the target is slightly bigger than usual for the sharpshooter.

Floyd has a handful of inches. The extra height and reach equates to a small bit of added safety to one of the best defenders of all time. The longer arms should give him the option to keep things at a comfortable range if he's getting touched up some. The small dimensional advantages he enjoys can be the difference between a landed punch and one that whizzes by.

There is also a well-documented weight issue. The negotiated limit of 144 is 9 lbs heavier than Marquez has ever been at a weigh-in. It doesn't mean that he has to be that heavy, but I think he will be anyway.

The more meaningful numbers are from their "unofficial" weights, which are collected the night of the fight. In the recent past, Marquez has been at 140 with spectacular results. I don't see how eating a little more and putting on a little muscle is going to make any drastic change.

Before his retirement, Mayweather was entering the ring on fight nights at around 147-149. While it's been almost 2 years since Floyd has stepped on a scale for a professional prize fight, we know that he is also an obsessive worker, and I think that we can expect him to step into the ring on September 18 somewhere around 150.

We're really only talking about a 5-7 pound difference between the two men. If you think about it, there is more of a gap in weight between Mayweather and Mosley, even though both are considered welterweights.

You cannot truly get a handle on this particular fight with any measuring device. While the numbers always have some say in the outcome of a fight, in my opinion, styles and intangibles will have much more influence on the result than the tale of the tape.

How will Floyd react to a great counter puncher with a boxing IQ that matches his? Can Marquez' intelligent aggression thwart many of PBF's opportunities to counter? What are their best punches going into the fight? What role will the crowd play? How will Mayweather handle the best fighter he's ever been in with?

We'll go over all that good stuff and more tomorrow... Read Part Two.

MANAGING EDITOR-IN-CHIEF
    vCash

Re: The Case for Juan Manuel Marquez Beating Floyd Mayweather

The Case for Marquez Beating Mayweather - Part Two
    By Lee Payton

In Part One, I examined the important numbers, like Mayweather's advantages in height, reach, weight and age, as well as the possible effects of his 2 year lay-off.

Part two will deal with what I consider the "meat". I'll break down the styles of the fighters and touch on some intangibles before taking a stab at who may have the edge after 12 rounds.

Mayweather is a defensive wizard, with great reaction time, solid fundamentals and educated feet. He's one of a very select few in boxing that can sit in the pocket or along the ropes and make quality fighters look ordinary. In truth, he may be the best defender I have ever seen.

On offense though, I see a few chinks that Marquez can exploit. For instance, these days, Floyd is basically a pot-shotter. If you are not familiar with the term, it means he is a fighter who uses his feet to set up single punches from the outside. It's a style he loves because of the safety factor.

Can he beat a brilliant counter puncher with a single shot here and there? When he's in pot-shot mode, he only throws 2 punches - a lead left hook and a quick lead right that he jumps in with. I'm not sure anyone can afford to leave their feet when facing a technician of this quality. If Marquez is not already prepared for these two punches, I believe that he will adjust as the fight goes on. He has on every other occasion, right?

We have all heard Mayweather talk about how he thinks he will be the first man to stop Marquez. Of course this is likely all talk. Mayweather only cares about winning. However, I do believe there is some extra pressure on him to perform, which could mean we're in for some early fireworks. If Money comes out uncharacteristically aggressive, he will get tagged. When that happens, I think he'll chill out on the macho thing and turn on his legs.

If Floyd decides to do more moving than punching, we're probably looking at a tactical affair. Some feel that a slower paced fight is in his favour, but I don't necessarily agree. Marquez is one of the most patient fighters in the game. Throughout his entire career he has shown the ability to come out on top of rounds in which he's only had to throw about 40 punches.

Furthermore, if the underdog sticks to the body first (like I believe he will), and if the judges are paying attention, his punches could end up being the one landing the cleaner scoring blows.

I've mentioned Marquez' amazing ability to counter in combination. When he sees an opening, it's just a natural reaction to respond with 3 or 4 crisp punches, up and down. Mayweather can also counter with the best of them, but the difference I see is in the creation of those opportunities to respond. From what I have observed, Floyd is a master of exploiting the openings that his opponents give him. He's not great at creating them himself, which is why guys who have fought him at a slower pace have always done better than those fighters who just tried to blow him up. I don't see Marquez leaving himself wide open very often, given his history.

Enough with the technical stuff though. Many times fights are won or lost on those factors we can't see or touch. Boxing is just as much a game of guts, timing and determination as style and physical attributes.

During the first installment of HBO's 24/7 series, Nacho Beristain said that his pupil has an "extra sense". I thought that was such a brilliant quote. He is talking about that extra indefinable quality that all great fighters possess. You can't quite put your finger on it, but it's there. It's that added something that makes them just better than most everyone else. He said it comes from all of Juan Manuel's experience and hard work in the gym. It's no coincidence that the best fighters tend to be the hardest workers. Floyd is going to have to deal with someone who knows what being "great" is all about. It is something he has never had to contend with before. He is not going to have his way in there.

Marquez is as determined as any fighter in the world today. When other fighters weaken or lose focus, he takes it to another level. I don't think it is any stretch to say that he is mentally tougher and more secure than Mayweather. That is significant in any fight.

Another factor to consider is timing. Like I've mentioned before, it has been two years since Floyd was last seen in a boxing ring, and while I think the negative effects will be minimal, if there was ever a time to beat him, this is it. When he was off "making it rain" or whatever, his opponent was achieving the greatest results of his entire career.

Mayweather is a great fighter and an all-time talent, but no boxer comes back 100% after a vacation of that length. And they don't usually come back against the best fighter they have ever fought either.

So who will have their hand raised when it's all over? I don't know. Ask me on Friday, September 18th, and I'll have a final pick. I will say that I think this fight is a lock to go 12 rounds. Patient aggression and body punching vs slick boxing and some eye-catching punches. I see a lot of close rounds, which makes it such a tough call. You just never know what the judges will like on any given night.

My bottom line is this: Marquez will miss more than usual, but Mayweather will get hit more than usual.

What's the betting line on a draw?

Banned
    vCash

could have would have should have

vCash

Oscar is a bit of a whiner but I still believe he beat Floyd.

vCash

WHAT? Did you see a fight that the rest of the world didn't? Floyd beat the crap out of him in a very one sided affair. I say that as a guy that likes Oscar and really detests Floyd.

vCash

I thought Hoya tired in the end and gave away the fight. That by no means was a onesided fight.
    Last edited by evander; 09-11-2009 at 09:03 PM.

vCash

When Oscar was using the jab, he was winning, but he faded physically and didnt use it, running out of gas in the last third of the fight. Boxing is a 12 round sport today, and Floyd was a 12 round fighter that night.

vCash

I have Marquez winning the fight as long as he doesnt stand around and wait to counter. He would love to make Floyd Jr. lead and then nail him and he would if Floyd would lead, but he wont. Marquez has to get closer and throw those combos all nite long. Speed could kill if Floyd has any left, but at 32 I think he will have slowed up some. MArquez is a real champion and a real fighter and I think he just might be the better boxer at this time. Upset.

Administrator
    vCash

DLH would have won that fight if he could fight 12 rounds but he hasn't been able to do that against a real opponent in a long time.

vCash

Would have to rewatch the fight but I remember Mayweather looking good and Oscar being ordinary.

That blog is so whiny.

vCash

It was a horrible fight but I remember vividly Oscar looking paunchy, slow, and desperate to land anything, often resorting to throwing in clinches,

it kind of reminded me of prime Roy Jones against, Richard Hall, Julio Gonzales, David Telesco etc... when it appeared that Jones opponents were fighting underwater the speed difference being so great,

the fact that it was close on the scorecards at all is due to Mayweathers lazy, retreating, running style where he just waits for the other guy to wear himself out from chasing him around the ring for 8 rounds and then comes on only after his opponent has punched himself out,

as for De La Hoyas breakdown of the fight, typical Oscar, when he speaks to the public it's droning, by the numbers, not much thought, boring etc..

vCash

I'm not necessarily a De La Hoya fan, but what he wrote was accurate.

I was at that fight. I thought he won 4 of the first 7 rounds but then he just stopped throwing his jab and that was it for him. Had he continued to throw the left he would have won going away. It was one of the most bizarre things I have ever seen as he just simply stopped throwing the jab and then the entire complexion of the fight changed.

In the end I scored it 6-5-1 for Floyd. Kevin Iole had it 6-6. Ron Borges had it 7-5 for De La Hoya.

The official cards were 8-4 and 7-5 for Floyd and a vote of 7-5 for Oscar.

It was a very, very close fight no matter how you look at it. Oscar did better than anybody ever did against Mayweather. Granted the fight was at 154 and they wore Oscar's Reyes gloves - but the left jab nearly won the fight for him. Floyd was marked up afterwards, his face was scraped up and puffy and his lips were swollen up. He knew he had been in a fight.

T.K. Stewart
    Last edited by TKO Tom; 09-12-2009 at 08:48 AM.

vCash

I thought it was an accurate plan on how to beat Floyd. The guy hates pressure and volme and when Oscar pressured him and threw a lot of punches in his direction, Floyd was losing the fight.

vCash

Unlike Delahoya...Marquez picks up steam as the fight goes on. He also throws in volume. And to me...that's going to be trouble for a fighter that hasn't been in the ring for a few yrs. Mayweather better pray that he still has his reflexes and speed. Marquez may be naturally smaller...but he's one of the smartest fighters to ever lace up the gloves, and one of the most talented!
    Last edited by evander; 09-12-2009 at 10:06 PM.

vCash

If Floyd really is great, he should win; but I feel that this bout is going to be
    close and the layoff will affect Floyd a bit. The size difference
    that the writer details are very valid points, as in the pot shotting Floyd.

Mayweather is facing a very clever and adaptable fighter who is so
    natural and fluid in throwing combinations, from inside and outside.

Floyd has to land to win and in landing, this is where he leaves
    himself open, like any other fighter. Marquez is a master at timing
    and distancing and throwing that 'extra' shot from the unexpected angle.

I see Floyd being really cautious and forcing Juan to lead.
    Now, Juan needs to remain patient and apply clever pressure
    and not trying to force the fight too much because Floyd loves this.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Every Mother's Fear
    WHAT? Did you see a fight that the rest of the world didn't? Floyd beat the crap out of him in a very one sided affair. I say that as a guy that likes Oscar and really detests Floyd.
    What fight were you watching? Floyd was at his most negative in this bout
    and basically ran and hid for most of the night. Oscar wasn't much better though!

vCash

Much as I would love for JMM to win, I dont see it. At 36 yrs old and fighting about 13-17 lbs over his best weight, he's at a big disadvantage. I see JMM starting fast and making it competitive early, but I think the extra weight will hinder him as the fight progesses, slowing him down. I see Floyd winning a clear decision or possible late stoppage somewhere between the 10th & 12th round.

vCash

I've predicted a TKO11 win for Floyd, but wouldn't be surprised
    if JMM pulled off the upset. I am so covering myself.

vCash

I agree that Mayweather ran and hid for most of the fight, no different from most every other big fight of his career, but, I clearly remember several times in the later rounds when he teed off on a spent De La Hoya.

vCash

The De La Hoya-Mayweather fight went EXACTLY like I predicted it would. Oscar built an early lead due to superior skills and agression, and then blew the fight when he ran out of gas. It was the pattern in almost all of Oscar's big fights. (Hopkins, Trindad, Mosely, Mayweather) It had way more to do with Oscar's lack of conditioning (and, in my opinion, heart) than anything Floyd did. Marquez-Mayweather is still a bit tough to call based on Juan Manuel's lack of size and advanced age. But if Floyd fights against Marquez the way he did against Oscar, then an upset win for Marquez is entirely possible.

vCash

I think the time off may have done Mayweather some good, and given him a chance to refocus on becoming the best, that said his timing cannot be what it was, which would give Marquez early openings to be aggressive, which unfortunately is not his style, until the middle of the fight when Floyd gets settled in his rhythm. He needs to pin Floyd against the ropes and throw in combination, and keep punching and not let him back into the center due to Floyd's advantages in speed and reach, where he will get picked apart from range, and not get to land those hooks to the body he needs to slow up Floyd. I want Floyd to get his butt kicked , but don't think Marquez will be the one, though it would be an early X-mas if he manages to win.....

vCash

I remember when Ray Leonard took off nearly two yrs, then came back vs K. Howard...and we all remember what happened there.

Administrator
    vCash

Marquez is a guy who without much argument can be just as every bit as undefeated as PBF is. I think JMM is arguably more of a complete boxer & certainly has shown more heart. He is going to bring a level of intensity as well as skill to this fight that PBF has yet to see. I intially counted out JMM after seeing how rocked he got by Diaz but I think he has a very live shot at the upset. When was the last time you've seem JMM throw a fight away down the stretch? He may just pull this off in the end.

vCash

So ODLH now turns into the Charlie Lau of boxing: "Those who cannot do, teach".

FWIW, Oscar gave a better account of himself than I expected, but Floyd clearly was the better man.

Kyoodle

Administrator
    vCash

Actually, Oscar still doesn't know how to beat Floyd. One element was lacking -- and it was not stamina.

But I will give you a hint: In Mike Silver's book The Arc of Boxing, it is stated Joe Miceli would have beaten Floyd.

So, you can figure it out if you know Miceli's style, which was similar to Oscar's.

vCash

In addition Oscars obvious late round fades during bouts, there is more than likely way more to it than purely stamina, some call it heart, but probably also a combination of self-doubt, anxiety, nervousness, the pressure of living up etc..

as for a game plan for Marquez, I really don't think, "putting Mayweather on the ropes and banging away" is going to cut it, I mean, that has been pretty much the game plan of EVERY SINGLE opponent that Mayweather has faced, and it hasn't worked yet, Castillo pulled it off but that was a long time ago, Mayweather has become very good at working that game plan to his advantage having been faced with it over and over again,

a lot of times I wonder, when watching runner vs pressure fighter matches, what would happen if the pressure fighter just decided to stop chasing the runner and instead became the runner himself, pressure fighters usually have a lot to prove when fighting a runner, proving to the judges that they are the ones pressing the action, living up to their prefight comments about keeping constant pressure on their man etc..so they rarely alter that gameplan from pure pressure, and it doesn't work a lot of the time with the really skilled defensive fighters, that's a little off topic but I just wonder why we don't see the pressure guys ever mix it up these days,

vCash

Two counter-punchers make for a bad action fight, both are going to be playing the waiting game.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast