Home News Current Champs WAIL! Encyclopedia
The Cyber Boxing Zone Message Board
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Boxing Hall of Fame

vCash

Boxing Hall of Fame

I just received the ballot from the International Boxing Hall of Fame for this year.

45 names are on the modern ballot and each elector chooses up to 10 names. The top 3 vote "getters" are voted in.

This year was the weakest I have seen in the past 4 or 5 years. Not much to choose from. I had a hard time picking 10.

Here's my 10 picks:

Jung-Koo Chang

"Tiger" Jack Fox

Betulio Gonzalez

Harry Jeffra

Peter Kane

Danny "Little Red" Lopez

Ernesto Marcel

Lloyd Marshall

Myung-Woo Yuh

Hilario Zapata

vCash

Re: Boxing Hall of Fame

I'm sick of Lloyd Marshall always missing out and the orignal Davey Moore, the featherweight champ, not even being on the ballot.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by wolgast
    I'm sick of Lloyd Marshall always missing out and the orignal Davey Moore, the featherweight champ, not even being on the ballot.
    Well, you won't have to worry about it anymore.

They were on the ballot for a number of years - and didn't get voted in - and now they're off the ballot.

I voted for them every year.

It's too bad.

vCash

Lloyd Marshall IS without a doubt "one of the greatest fighters" who ever lived - don't let people forget that!

and one of my favs and if I were to choose a story over my old grandads too see on the big screen it would Lloyd Marshall's.

vCash

Marshall is not off the ballot...and they don't take names off. Moore has never been on. I thought the ballot was fine with plenty of guys who belong (particularly smaller fighters like Kingpetch, Gushiken, Chang, Yuh, and Zapata; Jeffra should already be there). It was light on recent fighters because of retirements.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by jim glen
    Lloyd Marshall IS without a doubt "one of the greatest fighters" who ever lived - don't let people forget that!

and one of my favs and if I were to choose a story over my old grandads too see on the big screen it would Lloyd Marshall's.
    Jim- Lloyd had one of the sweetest smiles in boxing and brass knuckles in each hand. A superb, much-avoided, murderous puncher. When nobody wanted to fight Ceferino Garcia, Lloyd fought him...twice.

vCash

yeah, I know and I have a copy of Marshall destoying Freddie Mills in an absolute beautiful display of clever & class boxing, finishing Mills off in KO fashion.

After this match my Ol' Grandad put out the challenge to Marshall and as negotiations were left to Jack Solomons, Well! "if you know about Gilroy's career you can understand why Solomons could NEVER take the chance of Gilroy maybe deateating Marshall... now of all the fights one could have seen that would have been a beauty - two 1st Class boxers with KO potency - see the Gilroy page for the reports about this challenge.

Another shame in the world of boxing!

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Crold1
    Marshall is not off the ballot...and they don't take names off. Moore has never been on. I thought the ballot was fine with plenty of guys who belong (particularly smaller fighters like Kingpetch, Gushiken, Chang, Yuh, and Zapata; Jeffra should already be there). It was light on recent fighters because of retirements.
    I once was told that if a guy is on the ballot so many times and does not get voted in, he is taken off future ballots. This is not true? If it is, is this permanent, or just for so many years before he is eligible again?

vCash

same discussion in oldtimers section.

greg

vCash

I'd love to check out some Lloyd Marshall fights on DVD. Can anyone please help me out? I have a decent amount to offer in return. Thanks.

+ Reply to Thread