The CBZ Newswire

Gavronksi Knocks Out Louishomme at ‘Battle at the Boat 100′!

by on Mar.30, 2015, under Boxing News

By Ricardo Ibarra

Photos by Mike Blair

Gavronski lands his right.

Gavronski lands his right.


TACOMA, WA — Brian Halquist Productions celebrated their milestone 100th Battle at the Boat this past Saturday night at the Emerald Queen Casino. The long running series has remained the premier venue for boxing in the Pacific Northwest for nearly two decades and continues to give fans some of the best fights featuring local talent and national stars. For this monumental 100th edition, promoter Brian Halquist and match-maker Andy Nance lined up six well-matched, exciting fights that featured some of the best prospects in the region. In the main event, the very popular Mike Gavronksi returned for his third consecutive headline bout at the venue and claimed a hard-fought seventh round TKO over the quick and crafty Maurice Louishomme in a highly entertaining fight.

At the outset Gavronksi (17-1-1 11KOs 162.5 lbs.), who usually employs a tactical approach early in his fights, came right at his opponent, firing off hard power punches and landing with some hellacious one-twos. He was clearly thinking knockout as he pressed vigorously, letting his hands go with shots from all angles. Louishomme (8-2-1 4 KOs 159 lbs.) was at first put on the defensive, but as the first round came to a close he was responding with some heavy leather of his own, making for a some intense exchanges.

In the second round Gavronksi continued his attack, working aggressively behind a stiff jab and landing with precise right hands. Mid-way through the round a hard right to the chin dropped Louishomme for a count. As the action was allowed to resume, Gavronksi rushed, opening up with a wild onslaught , leaving himself open for his opponent’s counters. Moments later Louishomme returned the favor, landing a vicious left hook in close, sending Gavronksi crashing to the canvas. After the mandatory eight-count Louishomme pressed, but Gavronksi did well moving away and using his jab to keep his opponent at bay. Both fighters closed out the round landing well, Louishomme in close, Gavronski at range, making it a very hard round to score.

Gavronksi tempered his approach in the third round, using his jabs and lateral movement to set up his combinations. He effectively took control of the tempo of the fight with quick flurries and good defense, keeping his opponent on the end of his punches and not allowing him to close the distance.

For the next three rounds Gavronksi remained in control with the more precise punching. Louishomme proved to be a skilled and determined fighter, using angles well to find some openings, but the majority of the offense was being landed by Gavronksi.

In the seventh round, as Louishomme stepped into the pocket with a one-two, Gavronski landed a thunderous counter right hand, sending his opponent down. Referee Bob Howard wisely called it at 2:55 of the round as Louishomme struggled to get to his feet

The victory marked the third consecutive win for Gavronski since his lone defeat at the hands of current top world middleweight title contender Tureano Johnson. Since that defeat, Gavronski has bounced back well, staying busy and showing he remains arguably the top fighter in the Pacific Northwest. His team plans on getting him back into the ring as soon as possible.

Gallardo drops McCleary.

Gallardo drops McCleary.

In the semi-main event, Renton, Washington’s Marcelo Gallardo scored a mild upset, stopping the previously undefeated Jeremy McClearly, of Buckley, Washington, in the fourth round. Gallardo (5-1-2 2KOs 127 lbs.) was diligent from the start, pressing the action and landing hard shots to the body in close. McCleary (6-1 126.5 lbs.) tried to box early, but he was having a hard time dealing with the pressure and the power of Gallardo. Late in the first round a hard Gallardo jab buckled the knees of McClearly.

McCleary had some success boxing in the early going of the second round, but by the middle of the round Gallardo had once again closed the distance and was unloading with relentless pressure. The pressure did not let up in the third round as the determined Gallardo let his punches fly. Late in the round a jarring left hook dropped McCleary for a count. As McCleary rose from the knockdown he was visibly shaken, wobbling as the referee counted. Gallardo pounced as soon as the referee called for the action to resume and closed out the round landing with a vicious flurry.

Gallardo wasted no time in the fourth round, immediately closing the distance and landing a hard right, hurting McCleary and pushing back him to the ropes. Gallardo, seeing his opponent in distress once again, let loose with a relentless attack. It was in that attack that one of those punches strayed low. McClearly, in the middle of his opponent’s onslaught, turned to complain of the low-blow and dropped his guard, catching a relentless barrage on the chin. The referee, seeing McCleary hurt and not protecting himself, mercifully stepped in and stopped the fight, giving Gallardo the TKO win at :19 of the fourth round.

Pineda (red) presses Mpendo.

Pineda (red) presses Mpendo.

Power punching welterweight Marcelino Pineda, of Toppenish, Washington, scored an impressive third round knockout over the durable Paul Mpendo of Portland. The first two rounds were rather tactical with both fighters using their jabs to try and find openings. Pineda (5-1 5KOs 147 lbs.) appeared to have the upper-hand in both with the busier work-rate. In the third round Pineda stepped up his aggression and began to unload with blistering power shots. Mpendo (8-13-4 4KOs 145.5 lbs) responded, engaging with his opponent and landing his own heavy-handed punches. The round was an exciting one with both fighters landing in the pocket, but late in the round it was Pineda that was clearly getting the better of the exchanges. As the round neared the end, Pineda caught Mpendo with a debilitating left hook, buckling his knees before punctuating the flurry with a right hand as Mpendo was on his way down. Mpendo’s corner threw in the towel as he laid on the canvas, prompting the referee to call an end to the fight at 2:51 of the round.

Reyes (blue) presses Maldonado.

Reyes (blue) presses Maldonado.

Undefeated young prospect Andres Reyes continued to impress, turning in his biggest victory to date with a four round unanimous decision over the more experienced Ricardo Maldonado. The bout was fought at an intense pace, with both fighters working hard from the start. Reyes (3-0 136 lbs.) began to take over in the second round as he maneuvered in and out of the pocket with quick combinations and good defense. He used his lateral movement well to control the distance, despite being the shorter fighter, and managed to land at a higher rate. Maldonado (4-3 134 lbs.)made the fight a close one throughout, landing his fair share of leather, but it was the higher work-rate of Reyes that carried the fight. All three judges scored the fight 39-37 for Reyes.

This marked the second time in Reyes’ short career that many thought he was taking on too much too soon and he managed to prove them wrong. In his professional debut he took on a well respected fighter with eight fights under his belt and came out on top. The talented fighter from Yakima, Washington now adds his most impressive win over another skilled and respected fighter. As he moves up the ranks, he is showing a lot of promise and a lot for Northwest fight fans to get excited about.

Vancouver, Washington’s Jason Davis returned to the Emerald Queen after a seven year hiatus from the venue to take on Spokane, Washington’s Darryl Gardner. It was almost a disastrous return for Davis (12-10-2 3KOs 151 lbs) in the first round as the skilled boxer found himself in an all out war. Gardner (2-5-1 2KO 152.5 lbs.), who makes up for any lack in skill he may have with heart and determination, came out swinging hard and quickly began to find his mark with precise power shots, stunning Davis and forcing him into a closed quarters brawl. The two swapped heavy leather in the pocket, which favored the less technical attack of Gardner. The crowd screamed in appreciation as the two unloaded with vicious combinations, each looking to do major damage. Mid-way through the round Gardner appeared to do just that, catching Davis with a straight right, buckling his knees. He once again hurt Davis late in the round and followed up with a barrage that had Davis in trouble as the round came to a close.

Gardner came out looking to pick up where he left off in the second round, pressing the issue and unloading with looping right hands. Davis, though, began to find his legs and used them to maneuver around the ring, avoiding a lot of his opponent’s wild attack. Davis still seemed shaky throughout the round, but his lateral movement and stiff jabs were taking control of the tempo as the round wore on. By the third round Davis appeared to be in control of the fight as he used his superior boxing skills to avoid a lot of what was being thrown his way and landing solid one-twos. Gardner, meanwhile, appeared to run out of steam and by the end of the fourth round looked exhausted. One judge scored the fight for Davis with a score of 39-37, with the other two scoring it 38-38, making the official verdict a majority draw.

In the evening’s opener, Portland, Oregon’s Sean Gee made a successful entrance into the paid ranks with a unanimous decision win over Bellingham, Washington’s Omar Avelar. Gee (1-0 143 lbs.), a southpaw, boxed well in the first round, using lateral movement and quick combinations to land on his aggressive opponent. Avelar (3-13 2KOs 150 lbs.) found some success in the second as he pressed the action and forced Gee into a slugging match, which gave Avelar more opportunities to land his looping punches. In the third round, Gee once again settled into his rhythm moving in and out of the pocket with hard straight rights and left uppercuts. He easily controlled the last two rounds with effective boxing. Two judges scored the fight a shut-out at 40-36, with the last judge scoring it 39-37, giving Gee his first win as a pro.

The 100th show drew a large and boisterous crowd, which left abuzz after an exciting night at the fights. During a brief intermission, the crowd gave big ovations to some of the Pacific Northwest’s past greats such as Johnny Bumphus, Greg Haugen, Joe Hipp, Leo Randolph, Kenny Ellis, Emmet Linton, and David Torres among others who were brought into the ring and honored by the promoter. The next event for Brain Halquist Productions will be a Super Fight League MMA event April 25th. The next Battle at the Boat will take place May 30th. For tickets to both events visit .


  • Share/Save/Bookmark
:, , , , , , , , , , ,

Comments are closed.

Looking for something?

Use the form below to search the site:

Still not finding what you're looking for? Drop a comment on a post or contact us so we can take care of it!