The CBZ Newswire

Beltran Knocks Out Torres in Tacoma

by on Jan.11, 2010, under Boxing News, Guest Columnists

By Ricardo Ibarra
Photo by Bernardo Ibarra

TACOMA, WA, January 10, 2010 — On Saturday night a sold out crowd packed the Emerald Queen Casino showroom for Brian Halquist Productions 75th installment of the Battle at the Boat boxing series. For the last decade the series has been one of the most consistent boxing shows in the country and plans for a busy 2010 season kicked off with a stacked six bout fight card, headlined by an exciting main event.



In a scheduled ten round Jr. Welterweight match-up, Freddie Roach protégé Raymundo Beltran (23-4 15KOs 137 lbs.) scored one of the most vicious knockouts seen in recent years, stunting the career of Othello, Washington’s David Torres (21-2 13KOs 136 ½ lbs.) via seventh round stoppage.

Early in the fight the always aggressive Torres seemed to have the right formula for defeating the taller Beltran as he pressed the action, landing hard hooks to the mid-section and pushing Beltran to the ropes. But in the second round Torres abandoned his attack to the body and began to focus solely on the head, letting loose with wild hooks upstairs. Beltran used this aggression to his advantage and began to find his mark with counter left hooks as Torres rushed in. The two traded momentum in rounds three and four as Beltran remained effective from the outside with stiff jabs and quick combinations, while Torres found success when he worked his way in behind double jabs and unloaded in close.

As the fight wore on, the strength and quickness of Beltran began to give him a major advantage as he continuously peppered Torres with hard straight rights and left hooks that seemed to slowly wear down the local favorite. A thudding counter left hook stunned Torres to close out the sixth.

In the seventh round Beltran stepped up his tempo and dropped Torres with a left hook. Torres was up fairly quickly, but the effects of the punch were clearly evident as he wobbled in the corner. After the mandatory count Beltran unloaded on his dazed opponent, cornering him with a slew of power punches. Torres fought back gamely, but a hard left hook to the chin left him unconscious and slumped over on the ropes. Beltran continued to unload on the knocked out Torres, landing two vicious shots before the referee could step in to stop the bout at 2:20 of the seventh round. Torres laid on the canvas for some time after the stoppage before finally making it to his feet.

In the semi-main event Renton, Washington’s Francisco Reyes (4-0 2KOs 134 ½ lbs.) turned in an impressive performance, dominating the always durable Darren Darby (5-12-3 2KOs 134 lbs.) over six rounds. Reyes used his lateral movement and quick combination punching to confuse the onrushing Darby. The elusive Reyes employed quick foot work to find the right angles from which to land his punches before pivoting out of the way of his opponent’s retaliations. While Darby pressed the fight throughout, it was Reyes that landed the effective power shots. Two judges scored the fight 60-54, while the third had it 58-56. Reyes, who continues to improve, is proving himself to be a northwest fighter to watch in the coming months.

In a four round special attraction, son of living legend George Forman, George “Monk” Foreman III (5-0 5KOs 235 lbs.), remained undefeated with an easy first round TKO over Yul Witherspoon (1-3 260 ½ lbs.). The tall and rangy Forman had no problem stepping in on his opponent and unloading with power shots as Witherspoon offered little in return. A hard right hand followed by a left hook dropped Witherspoon mid-way through the round. Foreman followed up with a barrage of unanswered punches, forcing the referee to step in and stop the fight at 2:29 of the first round.

Four-time amateur state champion Mike Gavronski (1-0 1KO 167 lbs.), of Tacoma, Washington, made a successful entrance into the pro ranks with a third round stoppage over fellow novice Darren Azeie (0-1 165 lbs.), also of Tacoma. Azeie fought well from range early in the bout, connecting often with straight lefts out of a southpaw stance. In the second round, though, Gavronski began top close the gap, applying consistent pressure. In the third Gavronski dropped his opponent twice with hard shots to the body, prompting the referee to stop the fight at 1:43 of the round.

Amateur stand-out and member of the Wild Card stable, David Clark (1-0 1KO 122 ½ lbs.) made his pro debut a successful one with a first round stoppage of Seattle, Washington’s Rob Diezel (0-1 123 ½ lbs.). Early on the first round was fought on mostly even terms as both men landed heavy leather and both found themselves on the canvas after taking a punch, although both instances were ruled slips by the referee. Clark stepped up his pace and scored the first official knockdown with a solid left hook. Diezel did the right thing after the knockdown and moved away from his onrushing opponent, but after he took a few shots his corner decided they had seen enough and motioned for the referee to stop the fight, which he did at 2:27 of the first round.

A wild six round heavyweight bout between Los Angeles, California’s Andrea Carthron (3-5-2 1KO 219 lbs.) and Las Cruzes, New Mexico’s Arron Lyons (11-7 8KOs 229 lbs) opened the show. From the outset the bout was a give and take war as both fighters traded momentum and traded heavy leather in the center of the ring. Though the fight was close, Lyons carried the majority of the rounds with the cleaner shots and more consistent pressure. The official tallies read 59-55, 58-56 and 59-55.

  • Share/Save/Bookmark
:, , , ,

Comments are closed.

Looking for something?

Use the form below to search the site:

Still not finding what you're looking for? Drop a comment on a post or contact us so we can take care of it!