The CBZ Newswire

Greg Haugen’s New Company Promotes First Show

by on Apr.12, 2010, under Boxing News, Guest Columnists

His Son Stopped on the Undercard

By Ricardo Ibarra

Former world lightweight champion and one of the best fighter ever to come out of the Pacific Northwest, Greg “The Mutt” Haugen, made his first foray into the promotional side of the boxing business under the banner Haugen-Cintron-Canin Promotions last Saturday night at the Vision Quest Sports and Fitness in Auburn, Washington. Presenting a stacked seven bout card, Haugen and company put on a highly entertaining, well matched show with seven quality fights featuring some of the best young fighters in the region
In the main event, unbeaten heavyweight Jonte Willis (6-0 3KOs 207 ½ lbs.) scored a third round TKO over Corey Williams (4-10-2 2KOs 268 lbs.). Willis, who hails from Tacoma, Washington, had been on hiatus for over a year but did not show any obvious signs of ring rust. He quickly went to work in the first round, unloading thudding jabs and digging in to the body with hard right hooks. Williams, of Denver, Colorado, fired back gamely but failed to land anything of consequence.

In the second round Willis stepped up his aggression and stunned Williams with a hard left hook to the temple. Late in the round a barrage of hooks to the body forced Williams to the canvas. Willis would drop his opponent two more times in the third round before the corner threw in the towel, retiring from the bout at 2:15 of the third round.

In a four round lightweight rematch, Seattle’s Francisco “Paco” Reyes (5-0, 2KOs, 1361/2 lbs.) faced off with Ben Metts (1-2, 1KO, 138 lbs.) of Portland, Oregon. The two had fought in ’08 in a closely contested bout that ended in a no contest after an accidental head-butt caused a large gash over the eye of Metts.

In the return bout both fighters got off to an aggressive start, stepping in behind quick jabs, trying to find an opening for their power shots. It was Reyes who found that opening first, stunning Metts with a right-left hook combination. Metts fired back off the ropes, landing his own share of power shots, but Reyes maintained control in the round with the more accurate combinations. In the second round Reyes stepped up his aggression and took control of the bout with an effective one-two. Using his quicker hands and tricky defense, Reyes out landed his opponent with measured aggression.

In the third, Reyes dropped his opponent with a long right hand. Although the punch was a cleanly landed blow, Metts did not appear hurt and seemed to have been caught off-balance. There were some heated exchanges between the two throughout the bout, but Reyes continued to control the fight down the stretch with the quicker and more accurate shots. The final scores read 40-35, 40-35, and 39-36.

In a close six round welterweight bout, Escondido, California’s Dashon Johnson (9-2-3, 3KOs, 146 ½ lbs.) and Portland’s Mike Lucero (12-15-2, 4KOs, 142 ½ lbs.) fought to a majority draw. For the first three rounds Johnson used his lateral movement and quick combination punching to easily pepper the shorter Lucero from the outside as Lucero pressed forward. While Lucero clearly lost those first three rounds, he maintained a constant attack to the body, looking to wear down the mobile Johnson.

In the fourth round that attack began to pay off as Johnson slowed and chose to stand and trade instead of moving and firing from the outside. This allowed for Lucero to step in close and land. Lucero dished out a flurry of aggression in the round, digging to the body and head with clean, hard punches.

Johnson appeared to regain control in the fifth as he brought the fight back out to a range that suited his longer reach. Using angles to avoid Lucero’s attack, Johnson found a home for his counter right and easily kept Lucero on the end of his punches.

In the sixth, though, Johnson fell back into trading with Lucero and gave him the opportunities he needed to make the fight a close one on the cards. The official scores read 58-56 for Johnson, 57-57, and 57-57.

Brady Haugen (0-1, 143 lbs.), son of Greg Haugen, made his professional debut on the card. Unfortunately for him it was not a successful entrance into the paid ranks. Haugen, who had a very limited amateur career, came into the fight with an aggressive zeal, bouncing on his toes and easily popping his opponent, Aaron Schupp (1-0, 1KO, 141 ½ lbs.), of Salem, Oregon, with solid right crosses and left hooks. He easily controlled the first two minutes of the first round, but in the last minute Schupp, who was the taller man, began to land hard power shots, badly bloodying the nose of Haugen.

In the second round Haugen seemed like a different fighter. Seemingly losing his confidence and visibly exhausted, he was unable to close the gap and land as he had in the first round. Schupp stayed on the outside at the perfect range to land his one-two with ease. By the end of the round Schupp was battering Haugen around the ring. In between rounds the corner made the correct call and stopped the bout.

Aubrey Morrow (3-1 3KOs, 166 lbs.), of Qualicum Beach, BC and Eddie Hunter (3-3-1, 1KO, 160 ½ lbs.) of Seattle, Washington, gave local fans an entertaining and close four round middleweight fight. Hunter took an early lead seconds into the fight as a counter right hand caught Morrow stepping in, dropping him for a mandatory eight count. Morrow was up fairly quickly and did not appear to be baldy hurt by the punch, but the shot gave Hunter an early lead he built on by jabbing and moving.

In the second round Morrow pressed the fight, stepping in close and unloading with thudding shots to the body. The third and forth rounds were very close and active rounds as both fighters had their moments, trading momentum and trading heavy shots. Hunter found success with looping overhand rights while Morrow tenaciously pressed his attack to the body. All three judges scored the bout 38-37 for Hunter.

Tacoma, Washington’s Mike Gavronski (2-0 2KOs, 162 ½ lbs.) added his second win as a pro with a second round stoppage of Michael Birthmark (1-5, 161 lbs.). Gavronski came out swinging from the sound of the first bell, catching his opponent with hard right hands, repeatedly buckling his knees. His aggression quickly got wild, though, and allowed Birthmark to get in a few shots of his own, forcing Gavronski to back off momentarily. In the second round Gavronski adopted a more methodical approach, working behind his jab before opening up with power shots. A right to the chin dropped Birthmark for a mandatory eight-count. Birthmark made it up before eight, but he was visibly hurt. Gavronski quickly stepped in and began to tee off, sapping back the head of Birthmark on numerous occasions. The corner of Birthmark mercifully stepped onto the ring apron, forcing the referee to stop the fight at 1:58 of the second round.

In the best fight of the night, Jose Gomez (2-4, 128 lbs.) and Rob Diezel (1-1, 129 lbs.) engaged in four back and forth, action packed rounds. From the outset these two young fighters stepped into the pocket and began to unload on each other with blistering combinations. The two fought on mostly even terms throughout the fight, maintaining a blistering pace. Diezel scored a knockdown in the first and went on to slightly edge out the second round with an effective left hook. Gomez came on late and seemed to take a slight edge in the last two rounds with his right hand, hurting Diezel in the third. In the end the three judges were split with one judge scoring the bout 38-36 for Gomez and two scoring it 38-36 for Diezel.  

Haugen-Cintron-Canin Promotions will hold their next even May 29 at The Soccer Center in Tacoma, Washington. For more information visit

  • Share/Save/Bookmark
:, , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

Comments are closed.

Looking for something?

Use the form below to search the site:

Still not finding what you're looking for? Drop a comment on a post or contact us so we can take care of it!