Schedule Current Champs News WAIL! Encyclopedia Links Store Home
The Cyber Boxing Zone Newswire
January 27, 2000
Vega Sprawls out Sprowl
By JD Vena
TAUNTON, MA - In a battle bewteen a bricklayer and a construction worker, Juana "Jay" Vega laid enough damage on Wendy "The Queen of Thunder" Sprowl to convince the construction worker to punch out. Vega, 106 , of Austin, TX overwhelmed Sprowl over three on-sided rounds prompting Sprowl's corner to call it a night before the 4th began. Sprowl, 107 , of Hull, MA was thrown in with the 3-0 novice to see what she had after also entering the fight unbeaten in four fights Saturday night at the Roseland Ballrooom.

Just moments into their 8 round fight for the vacant WIBF (Women's International Boxing Federation) America's jr. flyweight title, Sprowl was faced with someone that wasn't a creampuff. Two of Sprowl's opponents were Jim Holly's suspects, I mean "prospects" from Ashtabula, Ohio who are brought in for the purpose of making the promoter's fighter look exceptional. From the get go, Sprowl couldn't defend herself against Vega and when she was stung in the face by a few combinations, her two young children, who were heard around ringside cheering, "Come on Mommy!" wept at the horrifying sight. Like the rest of the crowd the little ones knew that their mother wasn't going to come out on top in this fight.

With seconds left in the third round, Vega landed a thudding right hand to the side of the head. After the bell sounded, Sprowl dropped from her its delayed effect. Flat out on the canvas, Sprowl struggled to her feet and plopped down her stool as if the "Queen of Thunder" had been struck by lightning. Ringside physician, Dr. William Glass' examination wasn't necessary as Sprowl's trainer, Mike Cappiello threw in the towel.

In an exciting co-feature, Hector "The Pit Bull" Sanjurjo, 195, of Taunton, MA thrilled the crowd with a 4th round knockout over a game John Battle, 188, of Molson, NC. Sanjurjo attacked early on and seemed to discourage Battle from what he later found out he could do - hurt Sanjurjo. Sanjurjo dropped Battle for the first of his four visits with a barrage of thumping hooks to the body. The lanky Battle fought on the retreat for the remainder of the bout but found success with a few spurts of vicious, straight combinations. Early in the third round, Sanjurjo who was standing flat-footed and having his way with Battle was knocked off balance and on his butt, when his opponent delivered a concise, three-punch salvo. Sanjurjo quickly leapt to his feet to later put down the man who embarrassed him in front of his homies with some more body shots.

Sanjurjo was rocked in his own corner in the next frame but stormed back to drop Battle two more times in the round. At 1:38 of the round, referee Nick Previti halted the onslaught. The win improved the underachieving Sanjurjo to 11-5-5 with 6 KO's. Battle, a poor-man's Maurice Harris fell to 5-4 with 2 KO's.

In the opening bout, Dave "The Hammer" Hamilton, 161, of nearby Brockton, MA won a close 4-round split decision over Adrian Brown, 161, of Manchester, NH. Though Brown threw and landed some of the sharper punches, the more aggressive Hamilton convinced two of the judges that his aggressiveness had earned him the victory. Ray Dallessio had it 39-37 and Leon Gerstel scored it 40-36 for Hamilton while Bob McCoy saw it opposite with a tally of 39-37. Hamilton improved to 12-6-1 with 5 KO's while Brown dropped to 3-2-2.

Moving over the .500 mark, Felisiberto "The Joker" Fernandes, 131, also of Brockton destroyed the usually durable "Irish" Mike Cribbin, 127, of Lewiston, ME of the first round. Fernandes, who was DQ'd in his last fight kept his cool this time when he iced Cribbin with four knockdowns. Cribbin was saved by referee Nick Previti's decision to stop the contest at 2:21 of the round. Fernandes improved his record to 3-2 while Cribbin's slumps to a dismal 3-16-3 with 1 KO.

Jeff Frazza, 134, of Haverhill, MA returned from the ring after a long, 8-month hiatus to make short work of Rich Dinkins, 133, of Mobile, AL. Like Fernandes had in the previous bout, Frazza came out smokin' downing Dinkins four times in the 1st round and two more times in the second. Local State Representative and referee Paul "I'm just happy to be here" Casey stopped the fight on the advice of the crowd at 1:40 of the 2nd stanza. Frazza is now 7-2 with 5 stops while the Mobile native, who has lost his last three in a row to New Englanders goes home with his 13-11-1 record.

Promoter - Cappiello & Pendarvis Promotions
Schedule Current Champs WAIL! Encyclopedia Links Store Home
© 2000 The Cyber Boxing Zone
[Return to Top]