Schedule Current Champs News WAIL! Encyclopedia Links Store Home
The Cyber Boxing Zone Newswire
As of February 3, 2001
ORIENTAL UPDATE
by Joe Koizumi
____________________________________________
TATSUYOSHI RESUMES TRAINING FOR COMEBACK

Ex-WBC bantam champ Joichiro Tatsuyoshi, 30, has resumed training in a quest to regain the world throne at Osaka Teiken Gym.

Tatsuyoshi, 17-6-1, 12 KOs, is still the most popular ringman here in Japan. He has been inactive since he failed to win back his belt from Veeraphol Nakornluang-Promotion of Thailand via 7th round TKO in Osaka in August, 1999.

Tatsuyoshi, confident and flamboyant, will engage in a comeback go in May or June, since he says he has been training physically even during his layoff. He wishes to have a shot again at the WBC 118-pound throne against Veeraphol who dethroned him by a spectacular 6th round KO here in December, 1998.

Tatsuyoshi captured the WBC crown by impressively stopping Greg Richardson at the end of the 10th in his 8th pro bout in Osaka in 1991. Since then, the Japanese superstarís career busily fluctuated in losing and regaining the same WBC bantam belt.

WBC #13 RANKED RANDYíS OPPONENT CHANGED

Unbeaten Filipino 130-pound sensation Randy Suico, 12-0, 10 KOs, was slated to meet ex-Thai 126 and 130-pound champ Singhnum Yamakigym, 42-5, 40 KOs, here in Tokyo on March 3. The Thailander, however, stabbed a knife into the belly of a guy in a quarrel, and is now being chased by the Thai police. The victim is reportedly dying, which means the end of Yamakigymís fistic career. WBC #13 ranked Suico will face a new opponent named Sangsi Poh Chaiwathna, a 19-year-old lefty who dethroned Khumpoon Eausamphan by an upset 7th round KO in Bangkok on October 25 last.

WBA MINIMUM CHAMPíS FIRST DEFENSE AGAINST EX-CHAMP CHANA PORPAOIN

Newly crowned WBA 105-pound champ Keitaro Hoshino will risk his belt against ex-champ Chana Porpaoin, Thailand, in Yokohama on April 16, according to Susumu Hanagata, ex-world flyweight champ and manager/promoter of Hoshino. The Japanese dethroned Filipino Joma Gamboa via close but unanimous decision there last December.

OHIGASHIíS SHOT AT CASTILLEJO POSTPONED

WBC #10 ranked 154-pounder Akira Ohigashi was scheduled to have a crack at the WBC throne against Javier Castillejo in Madrid, Spain, on February 16. But Akihiko Honda, the negotiator of this title go, said that he received a notice of postponement since Castillejo suffered a back injury that would need a 2-month treatment. Much disappointed and dejected, Ohigashi may set up a new training schedule to wait for the Spaniard champís recovery. Ohigashi, a game but talent-limited Japanese, may be a good stepping stone in a tune-up go for Castillejo prior to his US campaign through Murad Muhammad Promotions.
Schedule Current Champs WAIL! Encyclopedia Links Store Home
© 2000 The Cyber Boxing Zone
[Return to Top]